Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Please link me to a trusted unbiased source like Drudge or Matt Walsh's Twitter account.

E: def not some local rag from the city where it actually happened.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Miltank posted:

We could call the new police something different so they wouldn't be police anymore. Thats not up to me though they will need a panel of experts to decide on it probably.

Ooh! We can call them Overseers.

Wait.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Spacman posted:

What does it say?

That is a good question for a semi-illiterate to ask.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

That is a good question for a semi-illiterate to ask.

Well, if you can't form a coherent argument I guess I'm done here. I cant argue with people who don't understand how a thesis works.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacman posted:

What does it say?

E: I'm not being difficult. Analyze it for me, present me a coherent argument based on primary(or in this case secondary)sources.

I keep asking for this.

I would have assumed you're being intentionally difficult, but since the post I was responding to was barely coherent, I believe you.

I gather that you're taking exception to the other guy's paraphrasing of what that article says, rather than the credibility of the source?

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

I would have assumed you're being intentionally difficult, but since the post I was responding to was barely coherent, I believe you.

I gather that you're taking exception to the other guy's paraphrasing of what that article says, rather than the credibility of the source?

Paraphrasing of the article. Very generous.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Spacman posted:

Well, if you can't form a coherent argument I guess I'm done here. I cant argue with people who don't understand how a thesis works.

No please don't go! We need valuable insight from folks like yourself to help solve problems troubling our community!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacman posted:

Paraphrasing of the article. Very generous.

Alright, well that's between you and him, but don't you go making GBS threads on the Post-Dispatch. Those people do good work :colbert:

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Alright, well that's between you and him, but don't you go making GBS threads on the Post-Dispatch. Those people do good work :colbert:

I apologise if you took offense. My point was that police are people, I cant see there being a big issue with that statement.

I think that police are people, if you hate police I think there is no difference between you and a racist or a homophobe. If you hate black people you are a racist, if you hate homosexuals you are a homophobe. There is no difference if you hate police. You just think it is an acceptable prejudice, much like hating homosexuals or black people was, that's all I'm trying to say. If you hate the police you are prejudiced to a specific subset of society.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 27, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacman posted:

I apologise if you took offense. My point was that police are people, I cant see there being a big issue with that statement.

I think that police are people, if you hate police I think there is no difference between you and a racist or a homophobe. If you hate black people you are a racist, if you hate homosexuals you are a homophobe. There is no difference if you hate police. you just think it is an acceptable prejudice, much like hating homosexuals or black people was. that's all I'm trying to say. If you hate the police you are prejudiced.

I've already said I think it's OK to stereotype based on their chosen professions. I've no desire to keep running in a circle where you just go "careers = race" over and over again like you're actually making an argument.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
So the NYPD is demanding:

10% raise over 2 years
10% "anti-terrorism" raise for all officers
10% raise for those with 60 college credit or 2 years of military service
20% raise for those with a post graduate degree
$2000 raise for cops who have worked 22 years
12% raise for cops with 8+ years of experience still on patrol
free parking for cops' personal cars
$200 increase in welfare fund payments
All backpay within 30 days (or city pays 3% interest)
backpay going back to 1999 for money city saved by reducing headcount
Bonus for not taking sick days, up to $1600 a year
Retroactive wage increase going back to 2010 as a result of pension changes

Until then, they're in work stoppage. Thank god:

http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/arrests-plummet-following-execution-of-two-cops/

quote:

It’s not a slowdown — it’s a virtual work stoppage.
NYPD traffic tickets and summonses for minor offenses have dropped off by a staggering 94 percent following the execution of two cops — as officers feel betrayed by the mayor and fear for their safety, The Post has learned.
The dramatic drop comes as Police Commissioner Bill Bratton and Mayor Bill de Blasio plan to hold an emergency summit on Tuesday with the heads of the five police unions to try to close the widening rift between cops and the administration.
The unprecedented meeting is being held at the new Police Academy in Queens at 2 p.m., sources said.
Angry union leaders have ordered drastic measures for their members since the Dec. 20 assassination of two NYPD cops in a patrol car, including that two units respond to every call.
It has helped contribute to a nose dive in low-level policing, with overall arrests down 66 percent for the week starting Dec. 22 compared with the same period in 2013, stats show.
Citations for traffic violations fell by 94 percent, from 10,069 to 587, during that time frame.
Summonses for low-level offenses like public drinking and urination also plunged 94 percent — from 4,831 to 300.
Even parking violations are way down, dropping by 92 percent, from 14,699 to 1,241.
Drug arrests by cops assigned to the NYPD’s Organized Crime Control Bureau — which are part of the overall number — dropped by 84 percent, from 382 to 63.

Seriously though, DeBlasio really ought to start firing people

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Something tells me NYPD has the mayor so bent over that if he does fire people, he's going to end up costing the city more than it would to meet their demands.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Wow, and Reagan fired most of the air traffic controllers in the country for far less…

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
How does pay for the NYPD compare to other large metropolitan police forces? Have there been long term wage freezes or anything like that?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I'm not opposed to collective bargaining unions for public employees, as long as they contain prohibitions on strikes. This seems really immature.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm not opposed to collective bargaining unions for public employees, as long as they contain prohibitions on strikes. This seems really immature.

NYPD isn't striking though.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

They're not doing their jobs, it's basically the equivalent.

Solkanar512 posted:

How does pay for the NYPD compare to other large metropolitan police forces? Have there been long term wage freezes or anything like that?

Base pay is at $44k during police academy. Pretty low to start off with, but it but rises to $90k after 5.5 years. Plus pension and pretty good benefits. None of that includes overtime pay, which is often quite substantial.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
What I would give to be a fly on a wall in these union and city meetings.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Xandu posted:

So the NYPD is demanding:

Does this actually mean anything, or are they just using an arbitrary buzzword to ask for more money?

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Does this actually mean anything, or are they just using an arbitrary buzzword to ask for more money?

Do you want another 9/11? :allears:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I think you know the answer :) The argument is their workload has increased post-9/11 and this raise is needed to reflect that.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I hope they disband the entire force and start over.

Grem posted:

Something tells me NYPD has the mayor so bent over that if he does fire people, he's going to end up costing the city more than it would to meet their demands.

Can someone expound on this? I'm curious as to how solid a case a police force might have if they all got unilaterally fired and sued over it in civil court. Anyone got the inside scoop on how police unions contract with cities like New York?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheSpiritFox posted:

I hope they disband the entire force and start over.

lol if you don't think everyone involved will be falling over themselves to meet every demand the cops have.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They're looking for a 10% differential.

NY state troopers got something similar after 9/11.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

ActusRhesus posted:

I know in Canada, some positions, healthcare workers, police and firefighters mostly, are considered essential services, and thus not allowed to strike, but nonessential services, like teachers or bus drivers, are. Does the US or NY state not have something similar?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Meat Recital posted:

I know in Canada, some positions, healthcare workers, police and firefighters mostly, are considered essential services, and thus not allowed to strike, but nonessential services, like teachers or bus drivers, are. Does the US or NY state not have something similar?

Yes we do (depending on the state and service). But what the NYPD is doing would not fall under the strike category because everyone's still showing up for work.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Oh no! Broken Windows policy isn't being executed! Flee the city!

I'd like to think this slowdown will show how the policy does not actually decrease "major" crime, but gently caress it. All this is going to demonstrate is how much revenue Broken Windows brings in.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Xandu posted:

Base pay is at $44k during police academy. Pretty low to start off with, but it but rises to $90k after 5.5 years. Plus pension and pretty good benefits. None of that includes overtime pay, which is often quite substantial.

For comparison Firefighters start off at $39k rising to $76.5k after five years. While Paramedics start off at $44k rising to $59k after five years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

drat that's pretty good money, I guess it's not good money in NYC but 44k would be considered a pretty high wage for any job here.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
$44k would be fat cat fuckin rich in my hometown. I'm not going out tonight because I'm broke as all hell, so instead I will be watching what happens in NYC with cops off the beat. :munch:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hell 90k after 5 years is still good money on NYC you're not going to be living on the Upper East Side but you can live comfortably.

they get a sweet deal this cop I know all he talks about is just 5 more years and he can get his retirement money and leave the liberal hell hole of NYC to go live in Costa Rica.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

KomradeX posted:

Hell 90k after 5 years is still good money on NYC you're not going to be living on the Upper East Side but you can live comfortably.

Unless you mean the golden zip along Park, you can easily live in UES for 90k.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Xandu posted:

10% raise over 2 years
10% raise for those with 60 college credit or 2 years of military service

Are these cumulative? Because goddamn, that's a 20% raise before other stuff is even factored in. 30% if you're a vet or went to community college.

I really hope DeBlasio just tells them to gently caress off, or even better raises EMT salaries while he's doing it if they're only getting $56K to a cop's $90K.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

archangelwar posted:

Unless you mean the golden zip along Park, you can easily live in UES for 90k.

Good point, but yeah 90k plus the money they make from over time which easily pushes it into the 100k range which if you can't live in NYC on 100k you have to have an out of control coke problem or something.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
While it is generally dealing with salaries greater than $90k the chart on this page compares buying power in various cities across the country with buying power in New York: http://www.nalp.org/buying_power_index_class_of_2011

$90k seems a pretty good deal even in NY.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alkydere posted:

Are these cumulative? Because goddamn, that's a 20% raise before other stuff is even factored in. 30% if you're a vet or went to community college.

I really hope DeBlasio just tells them to gently caress off, or even better raises EMT salaries while he's doing it if they're only getting $56K to a cop's $90K.

It won't be cumulative.

It's two annual 5% raises over the span of 2 years compared to DeBlasio looking for a single 1% raise over the same period.

The 10% is a differential so that would be factored into the base rate before hand.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

ayn rand hand job posted:

It's two annual 5% raises over the span of 2 years compared to DeBlasio looking for a single 1% raise over the same period.

Is there a list of what DeBlasio has offered them? 1% over 2 years is a solid 'gently caress you,' it puts the NYPD's equally silly demands in perspective.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Xandu posted:

Is this a good time to bring up how much more likely Americans are to be killed domestically by police officers than terrorists?

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Misogynist posted:

Is this a good time to bring up how much more likely Americans are to be killed domestically by police officers than terrorists?

maybe this is like a weird way of phrasing a "good behavior incentive"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Blorange posted:

Is there a list of what DeBlasio has offered them? 1% over 2 years is a solid 'gently caress you,' it puts the NYPD's equally silly demands in perspective.

http://www.nycpba.org/archive/ch/14/ch-141223-contract.html

Keep in mind source

• Locked thread