Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Lhet posted:

Somewhat due to this thread, I've picked up Tragedy Looper because it seems pretty unique and fun, even though I tend to avoid games over an hour.
"Time loop deduction board game" is still pretty out there as far as categories go...

It is over an hour with table talk, less without. First time teaching will be extra long though, since it has a tutorial-game-cut in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Wazzu posted:

DC Deck Building Game - I was reading through the manual and eventually asked another person who had played before "is there any significant way this isn't dominion?" - there is not.

The fact that it's terrible is a very significant difference, IMO.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Dominant Species any good? I've seen a run through of it and it looked pretty decent. £16 sale price seemed pretty decent.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fat Turkey posted:

Dominant Species any good? I've seen a run through of it and it looked pretty decent. £16 sale price seemed pretty decent.

It is definitely good, the worker placement aspect is good...but....dear God is it mean.

By taking the right actions you can completely devastate an opponents populace of creatures, specifically, the glaciation action kills all but 1 of each species of creature on a hex. This plus how devastating the domination cards can be, can really muck things up. IF you don't have a playgroup comfortable with dicking each other over, I wouldn't recommend it. However, if you do have a playgroup comfortable with it, the game is friggin amazing.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fat Turkey posted:

It is spectacular and one of the best worker placement games I've ever played (I've played Caylus and Dungeon Lords, for reference).

However, at 16 pounds, it sounds ridiculously cheap. There's also a card game which is not as well regarded, but is significantly cheaper. Maybe that's the version you're looking at. Pass on the card game, get the board game.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Hmmm, I don't remember the box having The Card Game written on it. How big is the proper version? This wasn't a big box game but it was fairly bigger than a pack of cards. Looked like it would have room for a few decks and hexes, but in very efficient packaging. But it could have been just cards.

I think is usually sold for double but it was on Christmas sale because they couldn't shift it. This is a small game store. I'll have to head back and check now.

Cutthroat isn't really my groups thing, but we could do with a cracking worker placement (Tzolkin was also there for 35, but that's close to normal price).

Edit: aaaah the box is supposedly over 2kg, and this one definitely wasn't. Must be the card game. Denied.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 31, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fat Turkey posted:

£16 where? I know someone who wants it but they're out of the country.

E: But not the card game, that explains a lot.

My go-to worker placement game would be Versailles, by the way. It's not quite the standard model as you move workers rather than place and return, but it's very good.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 31, 2014

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
If you are afraid of direct conflict then do not buy Dominant Species. After playing a full game of Le Havre I said to myself for a game of that length I would rather play Dominant Species.

The game can be brutal at times but you can always come back with a bit of planning and cunning. Love playing it and already have 2-3 games of it lined up for this weekend.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

The fact that it's terrible is a very significant difference, IMO.

I possibly wasn't clear enough - I just mean that if you've played Dominion, you can pick it up in a minute, it changes that little.

I'm always a little annoyed at deckbuilders that start you off with a deck of 10 cards - 7 with 1 purchasing power, 3 useless or relatively so other cards; and give you 5 card hands. Even if it's been proved to work, it's just so lazy, .

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Wazzu posted:

Sheriff of Nottingham - After fixing what the rules are about your decleration ('you must make a decleration of a number of a legitimate good')game works quite simply. We quickly reached a problem where we didn't allow the sheriff to pick up the parcel until they decided (as the weight would give away a lie about numbers), but I'm sure some people would argue that's against the spirit of the game. I suck at deception and lost horribly. Would play again.

I haven't played this game myself, but I did recently watch Rodney's Watch It Played of this game, and if I recall correctly, you are not allowed to lie about the number of goods you are transporting, just the contents.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

You can't lie about the number in the bag.

My group hosed up Sheriff of Nottingham the first time they played it, too. They thought that you didn't have to take the cards from the discard pile (yeah, they only played with one) as you dug through them, which led to a lot of 5-of-a-kind situations.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 31, 2014

EBag
May 18, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

Cutthroat isn't really my groups thing, but we could do with a cracking worker placement (Tzolkin was also there for 35, but that's close to normal price).

Edit: aaaah the box is supposedly over 2kg, and this one definitely wasn't. Must be the card game. Denied.

Istanbul is a really good lighter worker placement with some clever mechanics, won he german GotY this year. Isn't super heavy or mean and scales great from 2-5 players and usually plays in less than an hour, even with 4 or 5.

Keyflower is another good one, not as heavy as DS or T'zolkin and can be pretty cut throat but it's very interactive for a worker placement and there's a good amount of depth to the game while still being fairly easy to get into (though like Race for the Galaxy it takes awhile to pick up all the iconography).

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Alright folks, it's New Year's Eve and I have been tasked with picking up games for 8-10 people.

I already have the following:

Dixit
The Resistance: Avalon
An extra table for a second game.

Any other recommendations that aren't Print 'n' Plays or CAH?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Panic on Wall Street if the group is down with being shouty

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Panic on Wall Street if the group is down with being shouty

Oh yeah, I need to make a mention of that.

A member of the group has a disorder that prevents him from being able to hear anyone (or possibly even think properly) if multiple people are talking. So yeah, as much as I personally love Panic on Wall Street, that's out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OmegaGoo posted:

Alright folks, it's New Year's Eve and I have been tasked with picking up games for 8-10 people.

Dixit

If it was just eight I'd say Camel Cup. 8-10 it's One Night Ultimate Werewolf, one of the ones on your list, or split into groups.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Click Clack Lumberjack/Toc Toc Woodman/Bling Bling Gemstone
Say Anything
Panic on Wall Street!
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
7 Wonders (only 7 players, unless you add Cities, then it's 8)

edit: i took way too long to type this list

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

OmegaGoo posted:

Dixit

Telestratons

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Click Clack Lumberjack/Toc Toc Woodman/Bling Bling Gemstone
Say Anything
Panic on Wall Street!
7 Wonders (only 7 players, unless you add Cities, then it's 8)

edit: i took way too long to type this list

Say Anything can be quite a bit of fun, especially if you have a group that is ACTUALLY funny, and doesn't need to rely on the crutch of CAH to make jokes.

7 Wonders also works well for larger groups and if you are fine with being really sill Ugg-Tect can be quite a bit of fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Play 8-player Dominion

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

10-player battlestar.

I was part of that once and it was horrendous. Turns took over an hour to get back to you sometimes.

Also a good way to demonstrate the good/fun dichotomy, because I still enjoyed playing it because it meant I was hanging out with my friends for four or five hours but mechanically it was a clusterfuck

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 31, 2014

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ladies and gentlemen may also work. It does high player counts.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Countblanc posted:

Play 8-player Dominion

At that point why not just play two games of 4-player Dominion?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I dunno man but I figured putting a tiny, incredibly lovely quality picture of the internet troll man next to it would convey some level of insincerity (the joke, by the by, is that the manual says it supports up to 8 players despite that being a miserable play experience).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It does?!

I always thought it was hard-limited to 4 and the people playing with 5+ were using some sort of variant/houserules.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh sorry for being sassy I figured that was common knowledge. Yeah in the manual for Intrigue (and possibly the Core Set replacement expansion) it literally says "now you can play 5-8 players, or play two games at once!" or something like that. It's hilarious.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Been playing a good bit of Port Royal lately, which is a fun little twist on a deckbuilder with a nice balance between casual and interestingly complex. One thing though: Traders don't seem very good, and I basically never buy them unless I'm scrambling for the last couple of VP at the end. It just seems like a way better investment to buy swords or one of the special actions like Governor or Admiral. Is this just a weird/flawed bit of balance, or is there some aspect of Traders that's actually useful that I'm missing? I primarily play 2 player, maybe they're useful with more people?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've never once read the rulebook for dominion. I learned it entirely by playing on Isotropic apart from one or two sessions being taught it in person.

Despite that, I know the rules better than anyone else in my group...

E: Port Royal Traders are decent if nothing else for giving people difficult choices about which ships to discard. And they're pretty low cost.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

Play 8-player Dominion

8 Player Talisman :twisted:

Serious answer: Jenga

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rutibex posted:

8 Player Talisman :twisted:

That would certainly last until the new year. A bit unclear which new year, but that's just nitpicking.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Coup with the expansion plays up to 10.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I dunno man but I figured putting a tiny, incredibly lovely quality picture of the internet troll man next to it would convey some level of insincerity (the joke, by the by, is that the manual says it supports up to 8 players despite that being a miserable play experience).

I believe the Intrigue manual has variant rules for up to 6 players. They're terrible. (Add four more Provinces and use the treasure cards from both base sets you have.)

S.J. posted:

Coup with the expansion plays up to 10.

... why would you do this?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

OmegaGoo posted:

... why would you do this?

Same reason you could play a whole bunch of other 10 player games, but it still wouldn't take that long?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

OmegaGoo posted:

e: beaten, oops didn't see it was already mentioned

Telestrations is a great party game, and not shouty. As long as people are OK with a pictionary-style draw/guess game (some people can be "I can't (won't) draw :colbert:")

Scales very well to larger numbers of players, too.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

So far the following sound good:

Say Anything
Telestrations

Since I'm the one buying and my tastes are a tad... discerning, I think I'm less likely to get the first one than the other two.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
BL mentioned Click Clack Lumberjack and I played it for the first time the other night and found it charming as hell. Super simple and easy to play (very important for groups).

8-10 people though I'd want two separate games at least, if only to avoid the issue of having to move the tree to remain within reach of players.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bit late on this, but I got a copy of Boss Monster for Christmas. I remember it was received pretty poorly around here but we tried it out and I thought it was actually pretty good--not earth-shattering, but the core mechanics seem really solid. I enjoyed the trade-off between the short-term goal of trying to manage the hero queue and the long-term need to develop your dungeon. There is not a tremendous amount of depth but we saw a decent amount of variation in dungeon-building strategy and the differences in how people developed their dungeons felt very satisfying and distinct. The game also feels very competitive and even when someone was getting hammered they remained a viable threat.

That said, two caveats to this impression:

1) We only had 3 players and I can see several scaling issues that may detract from the 4 player game, and
2) We completely missed the rule where you discard 2 cards from your opening hand. Why does this rule even exist?

I will say as well that the spell deck is definitely a weak point. I did not mind the randomness of the room cards: you get lots of room draws, there's a decent amount of flexibility in how to build a dungeon, and the bait system means that even lovely room cards have plenty of opportunities to be relevant. On the other hand, in most games you only ever get to draw a couple of spell cards and there's no guarantee that they will ever be relevant. I don't feel like any of the games we played were unfairly decided by spell cards, but some of them may potentially have been decided by a lack of good spell cards.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Countblanc posted:

Oh sorry for being sassy I figured that was common knowledge. Yeah in the manual for Intrigue (and possibly the Core Set replacement expansion) it literally says "now you can play 5-8 players, or play two games at once!" or something like that. It's hilarious.

Dominion only officially goes up to 6. It's a terrible loving idea, but at least it's better than 8.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Is two player Lords of Waterdeep any good? I'm going to have the opportunity to play later tonight. What about 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mister Sinewave posted:

BL mentioned Click Clack Lumberjack and I played it for the first time the other night and found it charming as hell. Super simple and easy to play (very important for groups).

8-10 people though I'd want two separate games at least, if only to avoid the issue of having to move the tree to remain within reach of players.

Just put the tree on a round table in the middle of the party and have people remember who goes before them in turn order. No chairs necessary.