Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I had always assumed that the plot point about Sifo-Dyas in Episode II was clearly intended as "Someone impersonating Sifo-Dyas [SIDIOUS] placed the order." Of course the EU then ran with this Sifo-Dyas character, who is never seen on-screen, and created an incomprehensible and awful backstory for him.

Fake Edit: Yeah I was right:

Hay guyz, I created for new charactersm wat u think?

Onu Qam Kemovi

Amalim Dkyqalket

Darth Cader

Toda

Darth Cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Hingehead posted:

Toda

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Malameu_Toda

I am so sorry.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

gently caress me....they actually did it. How long before Darth Cum becomes a character?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hingehead posted:

gently caress me....they actually did it. How long before Darth Cum becomes a character?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Ramage

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

oh hey that's so clever haha darth invader worked so darth rampage works too :downs:

oh and http://darthipedia.com/wiki/Darth_Boner sadly not part of canon yet

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

I didn't care at all because my interest in star wars is pretty much non-existant atm aside from this thread but if this was pre-2000ish I would've been annoyingly stoked about it. I probably will end up seeing it though

I meant more do people actually applaud and fist pump and poo poo unless they're poorly acting in a video like that guy?

redshirt posted:

Also, why are people calling Palpatine "Sheev"?

Watch the Plinkett trailer video.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Weird BIAS posted:

Palpatine was not given a first name in any canonical or Star Wars Legends source until 2014, when the character's first name—Sheev—was revealed in the novel Tarkin by James Luceno.[18] The Lucasfilm Story Group approached Del Rey and asked if they wanted to use the name, which was created by George Lucas, in the Tarkin novel, to which Del Rey agreed.[35]

george lucas gets in one last 'gently caress you' from dowwwwwnnnnntoooooowwwwn lmao

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I can't remember, did the emperor even have a name besides "the emperor" in the OT?

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

I meant more do people actually applaud and fist pump and poo poo unless they're poorly acting in a video like that guy?

When I first saw ROTS in theater, a bunch of nerds in front of me applaud when duel of the fate music popped up during the yoda/sidious fight. I wouldn't be surprised if nerds really do exaggerate their excitements.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Spakstik posted:

I can't remember, did the emperor even have a name besides "the emperor" in the OT?

p sure he is never name checked on screen, but it might be mentioned in the novelizations

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure they mentioned it with his toy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

I'm pretty sure they mentioned it with his toy.

quick GIS indicates contemporary action figure cards were labelled "the emperor(tm)" :spergin:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
He was never called Palpatine in the OT, but I recall him being referred to as "Emperor Palpatine" in the books way before the prequels came out, and they had said he was once a senator. It could just be one of those EU things that retroactively got added to the prequels, like Coruscant.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hingehead posted:

When I first saw ROTS in theater, a bunch of nerds in front of me applaud when duel of the fate music popped up during the yoda/sidious fight. I wouldn't be surprised if nerds really do exaggerate their excitements.

I was in a theater when the TPM trailer first came out. A fat nerd in front of me tucked his head in his lap, covered his ears, and started humming to protect himself from spoilers.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

P-Mack posted:

I was in a theater when the TPM trailer first came out. A fat nerd in front of me tucked his head in his lap, covered his ears, and started humming to protect himself from spoilers.

Did you trolled him by speaking loudly to your friend or someone next to you about the trailer?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hingehead posted:

Did you trolled him by speaking loudly to your friend or someone next to you about the trailer?

Nah, but I'm sure there's no way he actually made it to release day without hearing the words "double sided lightsaber."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

My reaction to the Episode 7 trailers was a blank expression on my face. Afterward, I had this conversation with my roommate.

Me: "Welp, that looks like a Star Wars movie all right. What'd you think?"
Him: "Yeah. Sure seemed like 80 seconds of clips with no context."
Me: "Yep."

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i use to call coruscant "cor-oo-scant" because i was an idiot child

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Not like that's your fault, it's apparently a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOd3lwluQIw

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Weird BIAS posted:

Palpatine was not given a first name in any canonical or Star Wars Legends source until 2014, when the character's first name—Sheev—was revealed in the novel Tarkin by James Luceno.[18] The Lucasfilm Story Group approached Del Rey and asked if they wanted to use the name, which was created by George Lucas, in the Tarkin novel, to which Del Rey agreed.[35]

how much do these authors generally make per book? i would definitely write some extremely lovely star wars novelizations if it meant i don't ever have to work

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I like how the guy posted a toda and a darth cader when toda and a darth cadus actually exist

This thread loving rules, its like a wheres waldo of terrible writing combined with madlibs

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Why isn't there a Darth Tater yet

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
my star wars novels will be about Darth Tater

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth

There's like a million Darths

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

No time to look, busy writing novel. Nobody's taken Darth Darth, right?

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Why do people even like Boba Fett? In his one fight scene he got owned by a giant sand vagina.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

His armor is cool looking (I never got it either, Bossk and IG-88 look cooler).

It's funny when you bring up that Lucas only inserted him into the prequels as fanservice and the other thread tries to justify it as good storytelling or not just a cash-in. The prequels are about 90 percent fan service but nah it was all part of rich storytelling.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Boba Fett action figure was a mail-away and came out before the Empire Strikes Back was released. Boba Fett also showed up in the holiday special. They hyped up Boba Fett as "the most feared Bounty Hunter in the Galaxy" and said he was this mysterious badass in the marketing, but he didn't do much in the actual movies. Also, he looks cool.

Then the EU and prequels went hog wild capitalizing on his popularity. If getting beaten by a blind man and getting eaten by a sand vagina doesn't ruin his mystique, all the plethora of Boba Fett EU stories and seeing him as a little kid in episode II sure do.

The thing is, some things are just best left up to the imagination and are best left unsaid. Something a lot of people found appealing about Star Wars was how it we were suddenly thrust into a bizarre alien world with weird stuff left and right that they didn't explain felt like it was part of a bigger universe. The Clone Wars? What was that? What's the deal with that Boba Fett guy?

The EU explains everything. Every single alien in the Cantina has a backstory. And he's probably a badass and knows the main characters somehow. The Star Wars movies were filled to the brim with imagination and wonder. The EU explains every little detail and sweeps it all away. If there was a character in the movies who was an alien, all members of his species do what he does. Every other person with a Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler or Politician. There aren't any other walks of life. The Force has no mystery - it's become mundane. The Star Wars EU is a black hole of imagination. It takes creativity and drowns it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Inevitable posted:

Why do people even like Boba Fett? In his one fight scene he got owned by a giant sand vagina.

He's your stereotypical silent mysterious badass that nerds drool over.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Boba Fett action figure was a mail-away and came out before the Empire Strikes Back was released. Boba Fett also showed up in the holiday special. They hyped up Boba Fett as "the most feared Bounty Hunter in the Galaxy" and said he was this mysterious badass in the marketing, but he didn't do much in the actual movies. Also, he looks cool.

Boba Fett was definitely a badass until Return of the Jedi came out. Even back when he was just the mail-order figure and the bad guy from the cartoon in the Holiday Special, there was the rumor that on select figures, the rocket in his jetpack would actually fire. Very few of these were actually made, but it was enough to start the rumor that you might get one of the rocket-firing ones if you kept saving the proofs-of-purchase and mailing away for figures. For a little while, Boba Fett was the most tangible piece of The Empire Strikes Back that a kid could have, and then he got away with Han Solo (!!!) so his place in history was cemented.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hingehead posted:

Darth Cader

Here have 70,000 words:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Caedus

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The EU explains everything. Every single alien in the Cantina has a backstory. And he's probably a badass and knows the main characters somehow. The Star Wars movies were filled to the brim with imagination and wonder. The EU explains every little detail and sweeps it all away. If there was a character in the movies who was an alien, all members of his species do what he does. Every other person with a Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler or Politician. There aren't any other walks of life. The Force has no mystery - it's become mundane. The Star Wars EU is a black hole of imagination. It takes creativity and drowns it.

That's why I suspect/hope that midichlorians may have been a troll by Lucas of Wookiepedia editors/EU authors rather than just retarded. The EU ruins so much of the mystery and wonder of the universe Lucas created by over-explaining everything, so Lucas says gently caress you all, I'm going to give a stupid over-explanation to the one thing left you can't ruin, the force.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

gohuskies posted:

That's why I suspect/hope that midichlorians may have been a troll by Lucas of Wookiepedia editors/EU authors rather than just retarded. The EU ruins so much of the mystery and wonder of the universe Lucas created by over-explaining everything, so Lucas says gently caress you all, I'm going to give a stupid over-explanation to the one thing left you can't ruin, the force.

SMG thinks that all the prequel episodes are a direct response to fanwankery, even though there exists video evidence (and mounds of other material, because because Star Wars is the most closely-watched nerd subject in history) making it very clear that they were just incompetent all the way down. The reaction shots of the production team members' eyes glazed over in horror after the first screening of Episode I is incredible.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
They also insult you if you think the prequels are just bad or disagree with their "interpretations"

(half of which is actually prequel fanfiction. when i have time i have something really funny to find and show)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SMG thinks that all the prequel episodes are a direct response to fanwankery, even though there exists video evidence (and mounds of other material, because because Star Wars is the most closely-watched nerd subject in history) making it very clear that they were just incompetent all the way down. The reaction shots of the production team members' eyes glazed over in horror after the first screening of Episode I is incredible.

That was a point I tried to make in the thread. I said even if you don't think the prequels are bad Star Wars (they are, but lots of people over there try to defend it) they are just bad films. Hell, SMG - the guy whose best posts were pointing out how horribly framed shots are in the Avengers actually defended poo poo like shot-reverse shot. It just seems like everyone in there is trolling when you bring up totally objective film making complaints (framing, editing, dialogue, etc) and they still defend the movies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

That was a point I tried to make in the thread. I said even if you don't think the prequels are bad Star Wars (they are, but lots of people over there try to defend it) they are just bad films. Hell, SMG - the guy whose best posts were pointing out how horribly framed shots are in the Avengers actually defended poo poo like shot-reverse shot. It just seems like everyone in there is trolling when you bring up totally objective film making complaints (framing, editing, dialogue, etc) and they still defend the movies.

Just stay out of CD, it's a mistake I keep making and it's never worth it

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

gohuskies posted:

I doubt it. George has stated that he doesn't really care about the EU and has never read any of the books.

Just stay out of CD, it's a mistake I keep making and it's never worth it

I generally do. Seriously, I think CD might be the worst subforum on all of SA and given how terrible some of the subforums are that says a loving lot (I don't read a lot of them though and people tell me the book barn also really sucks)

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I doubt it. George has stated that he doesn't really care about the EU and has never read any of the books.

I generally do. Seriously, I think CD might be the worst subforum on all of SA and given how terrible some of the subforums are that says a loving lot (I don't read a lot of them though and people tell me the book barn also really sucks)

I'm not sure how CD can be worse than ADTRW, a forum populated by adult males who literally want to gently caress anime characters representative of pre-pubescent girls.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gammatron 64 posted:

Then the EU and prequels went hog wild capitalizing on his popularity. If getting beaten by a blind man and getting eaten by a sand vagina doesn't ruin his mystique, all the plethora of Boba Fett EU stories and seeing him as a little kid in episode II sure do.

The thing is, some things are just best left up to the imagination and are best left unsaid. Something a lot of people found appealing about Star Wars was how it we were suddenly thrust into a bizarre alien world with weird stuff left and right that they didn't explain felt like it was part of a bigger universe. The Clone Wars? What was that? What's the deal with that Boba Fett guy?

Welp. After all these years you have put into words what I've always disliked about LOTR and Dune. I couldn't ever really figure it out but now I know. Those genealogies and over explained historical footnotes that nobody cares about right there. And you're punished for it if you don't look in one of the 50 appendices at the back cuz the book assumes you've memorized it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I'm not sure how CD can be worse than ADTRW, a forum populated by adult males who literally want to gently caress anime characters representative of pre-pubescent girls.

it's funny you mention that because I started thinking the exact same thing right after I posted that, but I honestly think I dislike ADTRW less. I don't actually see people talking about wanting to gently caress pre-pubescent anime girls like ever, but the only animes I'll watch are either about big robots or big muscle men punching things and nothing involving cutesy high school girls so I might just not be exposed to it

of course it's also literally called Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse so there's that

I dunno it's a toss up for me honestly

• Locked thread