Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
So how many of y'all have gotten all/most of the 8-bit weapons in the Twilight map? Because I must say, these missions are murdering me.

I know that the weapon upgrade potion is practically a must for these... but there must be something about the arrow upgrade that I'm not getting. They can definitely wreck the generals in the original Adventure map, but in the Twilight map where everyone has 5000,00000 HP it seems like arrows alone won't get the job done. Am I supposed to wait for an opening and/or rush and combo them after shooting them?

Either way, the mere fact that one tiny nick from an off-screen enemy can destroy your A-rank is just crazy. And it's not something that badges, Legendary skills, or powerleveling can prevent. In Midna's stage, a summoner appears near the beginning, and he surrounds you with Cuccos, and these tiny little pissants can jump on you and take half your life. It's nuts.

SuperHappy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just hate the fact that potions and heart pieces are more or less completely worthless. You're never really in any danger of dying, except on gimmick maps (or I guess the twilight map? I haven't gotten to that one yet), and you have never take more than 5 hearts of damage or whatever it is without losing your A rank. Yeah it's cool looking to have a massive health bar, but it's pointless.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I've gotten 100% on the Twilight Map and the weapon powerup potion is definitely the way to go. You need to shoot, dodge cancel to shoot again to establish a stunlock. Optimally the dodge cancel is so fast you don't actually move at all while firing.

The arrows don't do a lot of damage, but the damage is still higher than normal hit damage. The arrow damage is a constant safe stream but admittably it's not very exciting.

Against some captains like Wizzro you can actually smash their weak point gauge entirely from range with the arrows and just run in for the big hit but most of the time playing it safe is better.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just got this and grabbed the hero dlc pack or whatever is called. Does that include the individual skin packs like the OoT one too or is it just the TP/MM etc packs?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the skins are separate

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kin posted:

I just got this and grabbed the hero dlc pack or whatever is called. Does that include the individual skin packs like the OoT one too or is it just the TP/MM etc packs?

Hero Pack contains:

Master Quest DLC (Already Out)
Twilight Princess DLC (Already Out)
Majora's Mask DLC (Out in january)
Boss Pack DLC (Out in February)
Dark Link Costume (Already Out)

There are also 4 separate costume packs, OOT, TP, SS, and Ganondorf, which are $0.99 each and separate purchases.

EDIT: There's also been a couple major patches that made the 3 main villains playable, added amiibo support, and upped the level and material cap.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

jivjov posted:

I just hate the fact that potions and heart pieces are more or less completely worthless. You're never really in any danger of dying, except on gimmick maps (or I guess the twilight map? I haven't gotten to that one yet), and you have never take more than 5 hearts of damage or whatever it is without losing your A rank. Yeah it's cool looking to have a massive health bar, but it's pointless.

It depends on what you're doing more than anything else. Higher difficulties and higher maps for the sake of searching out your perfect weapon(As opposed to the challenges themselves), where you directly have room to be more reckless(Because you're not necessarily caring about rank), you'd care more about having that buffer.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Cheers, i wasn't sure if the skins had been separated out from the other packs or whatever.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

jivjov posted:

sometimes you just want to gently caress around and chop 2000 dudes up with a stick and not care about ranks or other bullshit

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Hello thread. I want you to know that I A-ranked Zelda's tier 2 Baton mission finally this morning and it feels really nice. Thank you for reading.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

codenameFANGIO posted:

Hello thread. I want you to know that I A-ranked Zelda's tier 2 Baton mission finally this morning and it feels really nice. Thank you for reading.

I finally got that one yesterday too. I followed it up with Lana's level 2 spear, which was refreshingly simple by comparison.

Volkameria
Nov 20, 2014

Gay and grumpy

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I don't use it :ssh:

Really though, I just use C5 and full combo. Given how powerful the gust is, it's all I need.

Well, nice to know someone else arrived at the same conclusion I did. :P

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I've blasted through Legend mode and now I'm tackling this very intimidating Adventure mode. Looking for buddies to help! I Will add everyone on the second post and from the last couple pages.

Look at this wonderful new years fun I'm having.

NNID: billybullfrog

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

codenameFANGIO posted:

Got it last night with a T2 Dominon rod, the third tier L def badge, about 25 levels from the dojo and the guard break potion, and even then it took me realizing Volga + Wizro before anything else was the best plan in order to do it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any reason to let Cia's ridiculous animations play out? It seems like a bunch of her attacks will continue to go off even if you dodge out of the animations for them. Its most noticeable with the shadow mines and dark link hordes. I've found animation canceling to help on various heroes but the animations for Cia are so absurdly long I'm wondering if maybe they do more damage or something if you allow them to go off, cause otherwise what's the point.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any reason to let Cia's ridiculous animations play out? It seems like a bunch of her attacks will continue to go off even if you dodge out of the animations for them. Its most noticeable with the shadow mines and dark link hordes. I've found animation canceling to help on various heroes but the animations for Cia are so absurdly long I'm wondering if maybe they do more damage or something if you allow them to go off, cause otherwise what's the point.

She is a lot like Ghirahim in that it is cool to adjust your hair or laugh very loud for a while after attacking several dozen dudes but I am just going to go ahead and dodge cancel out of it and so should you.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I think the combo where you send out 4 Dark Links in front of you will be cut short if you dash out of it before they're all called out.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Doing full combo animations should increase your special meter slightly.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The only one you shouldn't skip is the one where she summons the four links in front and around her. If you let the one that goes around her play out they will attack significantly faster and utterly destroy giant boss weakpoints in one go.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Marogareh posted:

The only one you shouldn't skip is the one where she summons the four links in front and around her. If you let the one that goes around her play out they will attack significantly faster and utterly destroy giant boss weakpoints in one go.

It doesn't actually matter. I always dodge cancel her C6 (the four Dark Links surrounding her) when attacking giant boss weakpoint gauges and just do the weak attack combo after, and the gauge breaks when the Dark Links do their thing anyway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I finally got a gold drop from Ganon last night! :woop:

Course I still need two more to get the rest of Link's badges.... Welp.

I also beat the map where you have to fight Ganon on the very top row and I was not expecting the credits to roll after that! Guess I "beat" Adventure mode, finally? Go me?

Also I am pretty sure this was my most played Wii U game this year.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

You didn't beat it until you get all the skulltulas and heart pieces :getin:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
What's a map with a ton of Moblins to farm Moblin Flanks?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

I also beat the map where you have to fight Ganon on the very top row and I was not expecting the credits to roll after that! Guess I "beat" Adventure mode, finally? Go me?

I'm pretty sure I've played this more than any other game this year.

It's amazing how much I've been itching for a good beat'em'up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Silver Falcon posted:

I think when you start Adventure Mode it says that the overall objective is to defeat the dark ruler of Hyrule or something like that.

You may recall that "Defeat the Demon King" is the same tile where Level 9 is in the original Legend of Zelda.

e: but yeah you don't "beat" adventure mode until you have all Skulltulas, all unlockables and all A-ranks in each of the different maps.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What level should your hero be before you try Hero mode? I beat the game last night on hard and figured why not try hero mode. Took like 3 hits to kill regular mooks and a ridiculous number to kill bigger ones. One skeleton bumping into me took off almost my whole health bar. So yeah, its definitely harder, but I can't imagine its supposed to be insanely hard and insanely tedious.

Also, is there any way to get a weapon with more than 120 power for Wizzro and the other DLC character? I've noticed that everyone else has higher tier weapon unlocks but I haven't found one of those for any of the villains yet.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
You unlock the Bad Dudes weapon upgrades in the Master Quest map.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Internet Kraken posted:

What level should your hero be before you try Hero mode? I beat the game last night on hard and figured why not try hero mode. Took like 3 hits to kill regular mooks and a ridiculous number to kill bigger ones. One skeleton bumping into me took off almost my whole health bar. So yeah, its definitely harder, but I can't imagine its supposed to be insanely hard and insanely tedious.

Hero is like, the apex challenge for min-maxed characters. So, pretty much level 100+ characters with tier 3 weapons with five stars and eight slots.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RyokoTK posted:

I think when you start Adventure Mode it says that the overall objective is to defeat the dark ruler of Hyrule or something like that.

You may recall that "Defeat the Demon King" is the same tile where Level 9 is in the original Legend of Zelda.

e: but yeah you don't "beat" adventure mode until you have all Skulltulas, all unlockables and all A-ranks in each of the different maps.

Never played the original Zelda and I forgot it told you that when you start the Adventure map. It's been months! I suspected that the Ganon map was in the same spot as the final dungeon, though. Thanks for confirming that!

I will grant you weapon unlocks and A-ranks. I have almost all map squares A ranked anyway. Skulltulas too. But gently caress getting all the heart pieces and containers. They're pointless! The idea is not to take much damage in the first place!

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Neo Rasa posted:

What's a map with a ton of Moblins to farm Moblin Flanks?

If you got the Twilight Map, the "rack up your KO count" square on the bottom, toward the right side, is pretty great place for that. I go there whenever I need Moblin spears, which were almost as hard to get as the Imprisoned pillars until that map was released.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, uh, how do I Zant? I've tried him once, but that was vs. Dodongos, which he seemed to be really bad against. I would like some idea of what to do with him for regular battles, because he seems like he'ld be ridiculously fun, but he seems a bit unwieldy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

So, uh, how do I Zant? I've tried him once, but that was vs. Dodongos, which he seemed to be really bad against. I would like some idea of what to do with him for regular battles, because he seems like he'ld be ridiculously fun, but he seems a bit unwieldy.

You don't. Zant sucks really, really bad unless they gave him massive buffs in a recent patch. As for his actual mechanics, keep mashing the button for anything that isn't his straight light attacks chain to build up the bar under his health. If you get it full, his swords glow red and I think have a chance to deal the darkness debuff. If you overfill it, he flubs his combo ender, you're briefly stunned, and it drains back to zero. You can also do strong attack if you have any bar built up to either spin a lot and deal no damage by mashing light attack or shoot a bunch of energy balls for no damage if you mash strong attack. Everything Zant does is terrible, and you should really avoid ever using him if you can help it. And to top off his incredible awfulness to play, he's the most annoying boss to actually fight. gently caress Zant.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
How to Zant:

1. Use his "grow huge and stomp stuff" combo until your Crazy Meter fills up.
2. Use Strong Attack, then spam Weak Attack to become LAWNMOWER MAN or spam Strong Attack to become a turret until your Crazy Meter is empty.

That said, nobody in the thread has really figured out a way to make him usable because he's terrible at Weak Point smashing, and most of his attacks just generally don't do a whole lot of damage. He's decent at clearing away packs of the filler trash mobs, but that's about it, and pretty much everyone else is just as good if not better at it than he is, so he's generally ignored whenever possible.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think Zant is pretty fun, personally. His strong attack after his meter fills does a decent job of beating weak points down. I also kind of prefer the totem pole attack for building it, since you can't be hit while doing it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Ashsaber posted:

if you turn boss cinematics back on and start up his Spin2Win right before the cutscene, you can do it infinitely if you start mashing X right near the end of the cutscene.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

How to play Zant.

1. Fill your meter
2. Go lawnmower on a big horde of trash and officers. Really go to town, and get everyone you can caught up in it
3. Immediately use your special when the tornado ends. Everyone you caught up in your spin will fall right in front of you and will be hit by it. it is the best way to do big damage as zant

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Zant is more fun to play as than Agitha
But he's still just as bad - if not worse than her

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Zant is more fun to play as than Agitha
But he's still just as bad - if not worse than her

i really wanted agitha to be cool. but if anything it only made people resent her, which is sad because she's kind of adorable otherwise

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Excels posted:

i really wanted agitha to be cool. but if anything it only made people resent her, which is sad because she's kind of adorable otherwise

I used to think Agitha sucked (in terms of effectiveness, I have always really liked the character), but I came around on her after realizing that the way she's supposed to be played is completely unlike any other character in the game and that's what throws people off. If you try to run in and just combo with her like you would anyone else, she's absolutely terrible. If you instead circle around enemies and drop beetles on them, she's actually really strong. I can definitely understand that not appealing to people, though.

At any rate she's way better than Zant, who does play like everyone else and is just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Zant is at least amusing in how terrible he is.

Excels posted:

Agitha is kind of doomed from the start given she occupies a joke character slot that could instead be filled by Groose.

• Locked thread