Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Wheelstand Pro is great, it's very stable. Never had any issues with mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just got this one for xmas, and for half the price its just as good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084EG3ZA/

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

r0ck0 posted:

I just got this one for xmas, and for half the price its just as good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084EG3ZA/

While it is nice to see an actual clutch, there's a major design flaw.

The gear shift is on the wrong side. Totally unusable.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Riso posted:

While it is nice to see an actual clutch, there's a major design flaw.

The gear shift is on the wrong side. Totally unusable.

Uh that is an European car setup, duh.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

r0ck0 posted:

Uh that is an European car setup, duh.

Continental Europe would disagree. The only Europeans driving on the wrong side are Brits or somewhere that used to be controlled by Brits. Actually that's pretty much true for the entire world, RHD is practically exclusive to places where British influence was strong at the time the decision was made.

I used to think it was more common until I heard Clarkson bitching about some European car not being offered in RHD, then I looked it up and found out that RHD is basically the British Empire's equivalent of America's stupid non-standard safety regulations. There are basically three variants required for a "world car" everyone will be happy with: North America, Commonwealth, and Everywhere Else.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 29, 2014

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
If you somehow don't have race07 and it's expansions bundlestars has them in a bundle for $1 today with a few other games as well.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/born-2-race-bundle

I used amazon and it actually came out to 78 cents so that's cool.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Japan also drives on the left.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Question: been craving a non-arcade racing game. I've been a longtime fan of Gran Turismo (1-5) series, but got tired of no/garbage damage model and small race size. Looked into AC when it was on Steam sale, but it sounded much more simulation heavy with basically no attention to a career mode and iffy controller support. Looked at Grid Autosport when it was mentioned on Steam sale as well, but it seemed to have mixed reviews. Looking forward to Project CARS hopefully not being awful, but is there anything similar/cheap that has a not awful career and good controller support to muck about with in the mean time?

David Pratt posted:

Japan also drives on the left.
Also the Brits to blame for this one.

I first encountered this playing Geoguessr and was super confused when I selected somewhere in former British SE Asia (was obviously SE Asia by the language on signs) and it was in Japan. Apparently the Japanese selected the British to help build their first railroad infrastructure and trains chugging along on the left stuck for cars driving on the left.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
GRID: Autosport is pretty good. It's nowhere near as sim-y as Assetto Corsa or even GT6. Probably the same physics as GT3 if my memory serves me right? Either way the career was really fun and I had a blast.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you have an Xbox you can't go wrong with any of the forza games.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

GRID: Autosport is pretty good. It's nowhere near as sim-y as Assetto Corsa or even GT6. Probably the same physics as GT3 if my memory serves me right? Either way the career was really fun and I had a blast.

It's the first GRID where I've actually had to fight the car.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Assetto Corsa announces an official Lamborghini license to bring in the new year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsowgkDYPE4

I wonder if this means they're going to buy that Miura mod after all.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Jehde posted:

Assetto Corsa announces an official Lamborghini license to bring in the new year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsowgkDYPE4

I wonder if this means they're going to buy that Miura mod after all.

oh man, just what i wanted, more cars in assetto corsa.

*looks away as weather, and pit stops bang on the windows, begging to be let inside*

guys????

guys??

*the sun has been up for 6 months straight*

guys i wanna go to bed let the night come and take my place i am begging you

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'd like more tracks more than anything really. Things like night time and weather are just graphics fluff that takes a lot of time to get right, so I can appreciate them leaving those features until later to focus on more important things, like AWD and AI.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Jehde posted:

I'd like more tracks more than anything really. Things like night time and weather are just graphics fluff that takes a lot of time to get right, so I can appreciate them leaving those features until later to focus on more important things, like AWD and AI.

Humble sea bass would probably be begging for a decent way to host multiplayer

as a side note we've got an assetto corsa MP server now.

it's called AAA DILZ and right now it's gonna be hosting yellowbird, formula abarth, bmw e30 dtm, lotus 49, and the lotus 211 gt4 on the v0.4t version of transfagrasan. password lljk, 3 cars each. also not gonna update the car list all the time so just check the server out.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 31, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jehde posted:

Night racing and weather are the exact opposite of graphics fluff. Those have a serious impact on racing.

I've finally gotten my dual shock 4 to work perfectly with AC using the trackpad as the mouse. The game is incredible on a 65" HDTV.

And I downloaded a Porsche GT3 cup car. Ugh so good. The wait till pCARS is much easier now.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Night racing and weather are the exact opposite of graphics fluff. Those have a serious impact on racing.

Well actually you can already download night tracks or tracks with low traction from weather (i.e. snow), what makes them not ideal is that there's no extensive graphics systems to back them up and make them beleivable, like I don't think headlights even work yet. I get what you mean in that different conditions means different racing, but the biggest purpose of adding those kind of features would be to ooo and ahh at how the cars look with their headlights or how the wet tarmac reflects light. Neither of the features really affect the actual driving, except I guess some dynamic drying tarmac system or something, which I think is what they want to do eventually.

I guess I'm biased because I just like hotlapping old sports cars around old touge tracks on sunny days and AC already has that in spades. :shrug:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jehde posted:

Well actually you can already download night tracks or tracks with low traction from weather (i.e. snow), what makes them not ideal is that there's no extensive graphics systems to back them up and make them beleivable, like I don't think headlights even work yet. I get what you mean in that different conditions means different racing, but the biggest purpose of adding those kind of features would be to ooo and ahh at how the cars look with their headlights or how the wet tarmac reflects light. Neither of the features really affect the actual driving, except I guess some dynamic drying tarmac system or something, which I think is what they want to do eventually.

I guess I'm biased because I just like hotlapping old sports cars around old touge tracks on sunny days and AC already has that in spades. :shrug:

Weather is measurably more complex than a grip modifier. Yea, a weather system and dynamic lighting is visually appealing, but the effects of both carry tremendous impact.

There's a reason these systems are clamored for. They're critical to a simulation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You might want them, but how many servers will there be with torrential downpours? Once the novelty wears off, people will want to race with optimal conditions.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cojawfee posted:

You might want them, but how many servers will there be with torrential downpours? Once the novelty wears off, people will want to race with optimal conditions.

Then go race with those conditions. Night and rain are a big deal especially if they're dynamic.

Here's the thing, if the AC devs have the time and money to do it that's great. If not, cool. I understand the complexity of building those systems. It's not an over night thing but neither is building new tracks.

That being said, I'd love to see Road Atlanta, Willow, and Laguna Seca.

bloops fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 31, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Also there are problems with integrating things like day/night cycles because it's baked into the lighting model that there can only be one light source.

In more AC news, DRM revival is coming (someday): http://www.virtualr.net/drm-revival-mod-coming-assetto-corsa

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Let me get this straight... AC managed to get Lamborghini? In the same game with Ferrari? And Ferrari isn't pulling out by some stipulated anti-competition clause in their license? Because from what I've heard in the past, they balk at the idea of sharing the same game universe with Lamborghini. That's why in plenty games in the past, it was always either-or.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are plenty of games that have both.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

There are plenty of games that have both.

Yup, Forza (all 5), various Need for Speed titles, and that's just what I can name off the top of my head

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Torabi posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for some decent, not too expensive, wheel stands? Been looking around a bit myself as well but it would be nice to get some recommendations. I have a G27 by the way. (Finally)

I'll be selling mine in a week or so. It's the fanatec version of the wheelstand. I have zero issues with it and it's very sturdy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Let me get this straight... AC managed to get Lamborghini? In the same game with Ferrari? And Ferrari isn't pulling out by some stipulated anti-competition clause in their license? Because from what I've heard in the past, they balk at the idea of sharing the same game universe with Lamborghini. That's why in plenty games in the past, it was always either-or.

I don't think this exists anymore. Car licensing used to be brutal and confusing but it's not anymore, with the exception of Porsche.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, Porsche can gently caress right off with their licensing. Also, in a way having your car in a video game is like being paid to advertise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maybe now that Need for Speed is a dead franchise, things will change with Porsche.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, Porsche can gently caress right off with their licensing. Also, in a way having your car in a video game is like being paid to advertise.

I've never got why Porsche went with ea in the first place, or was it just a realy long standing agreement. You wouldve thought they would've prefered to be in any of the sim'ish games instead of the crap ea tends to churn out. It was fantastic when forza had them.

Also the McLaren M23 is an awesome mod
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/mclaren-m23-1973.12254/

Edit: Oh man the people who made the fantastic 787b mod are now doing a 962c, all I need now is the XJR-9, Sauber C11 (which I think is dlc?), a Toyota 88CV and i'll have all my favorite group c cars.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 2, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I don't think this exists anymore. Car licensing used to be brutal and confusing but it's not anymore, with the exception of Porsche.
Was already wondering why both were in The Crew.

I said come in! posted:

Maybe now that Need for Speed is a dead franchise, things will change with Porsche.
EA has an exclusive license. You need to wait for a renewal and Porsche disagreeing to the exclusive part.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Was already wondering why both were in The Crew.

EA has an exclusive license. You need to wait for a renewal and Porsche disagreeing to the exclusive part.

Didn't that license expire last year? Or 2013? I might be wrong but I remember reading something...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Looking it up, I find snippets about exclusivity having ended Dec 31, 2011. Which I'm not sure I can believe, because recent games still feature RUF instead.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I take a bit of an issue with this mod because the creator insists on using a dodgy exe installer, instead of just zipping the content and uploading that like every other mod does, but that's :tinfoil: poo poo so do as you please. Also the car handles far to sterile to be any real fun for me, the McLaren M19C is more fun and less sketchy.

On the subject of favourite recent mods: The Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth updated with a group A version, cranking the turbo to 100% is pretty nuts. Aswell the SS Peyregrosse-Mandagout rally track recieved a much needed graphical overhaul.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will Assetto Corsa eventually get Steam Workshop support?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Considering most of the track mods released for AC are illegal, I doubt it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Considering most of the track mods released for AC are illegal, I doubt it.

:(

Do you know what the devs plans are for adding more tracks? I like AC but i'm not a fan of the barebones track selection.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any of you dudes in on PCARS? I'm curious if the developers are actually finishing up the game to make the March release. We're two months out and there hasn't been much of an advertising push for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

Any of you dudes in on PCARS? I'm curious if the developers are actually finishing up the game to make the March release. We're two months out and there hasn't been much of an advertising push for it.

It's still on track for March. Slightly Mad is doing this all on their own and they are a small studio. They are relying instead on word of mouth and fans talking about the game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Haven't played it in ages. Or any other racing simulator for that matter.

They have a nice track selection and great graphics engine. Physics were pretty good last time I tried it, but that's as usual rather subjective and also subject to bias from older games, i.e. the expectancy of ice skating physics. Only thing I'm irked about is the car selection. I'm quite surprised that Kunos managed to get Ferrari and Lamborghini. I doubt it's only via the Italian Connection or whatever. At least not in the case of Lamborghini. SMS managed to get Audi and Bentley, so they better have Lambo up in the sleeve, too. Same drat company after all.

I said come in! posted:

Do you know what the devs plans are for adding more tracks? I like AC but i'm not a fan of the barebones track selection.
All I need is Nordschleife and a decent and long hillclimb type. I wish someone would make a good quality Pike's Peak.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Jehde posted:

I take a bit of an issue with this mod because the creator insists on using a dodgy exe installer, instead of just zipping the content and uploading that like every other mod does, but that's :tinfoil: poo poo so do as you please. Also the car handles far to sterile to be any real fun for me, the McLaren M19C is more fun and less sketchy.

Where is that M19C from? I don't recall seeing it on the forums.

• Locked thread