Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm getting ready to prep my first stone, from http://bakingstone.com/. Their FAQ is slightly vague about how to temp it the first time, can someone give me more specific instructions about what temperature/time to cook this thing at before I properly use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
For those who don't have a baking steel, I noticed there's another company selling their own array of products on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dough-Joe%AE-Baking-Sheet--The-Samurai-trade/dp/B00LBKWSKS/

80 bucks shipped for a 15x15x 3/8" sheet, which is 20 dollars less than the similar Modernist Cuisine version for 100 shipped at bakingsteel.com

also selling a 1/2" version about 20 bucks less than bakingsteel.com

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Can't wait for the compare review that will no doubt be done by Serious Eats or similar

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

Can't wait for the compare review that will no doubt be done by Serious Eats or similar

Funny that you mention that, saw this pop up today:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/pizza-hack-baking-copper.html

baking copper!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Dough hydration tests, since my new scale just arrived. I've been working with high gluten flour for about 4 months by feel alone, and it turns out that I've been making a ~59% hydration dough. Have 63% and 67% in the fridge now for testing soon.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Made Kenji's cast iron skillet tortilla pizza at 2 am tonight. Everyone should make this pizza holy crap. Ridiculous pay off for such little effort. Use less sauce than you think you need. This is also a fantastic pizza to make for parties, since once the skillet and broiler are hot, it takes like 5-6 minutes per pizza start to finish. You can whip these things out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

I'm getting ready to prep my first stone, from http://bakingstone.com/. Their FAQ is slightly vague about how to temp it the first time, can someone give me more specific instructions about what temperature/time to cook this thing at before I properly use it?

It comes with instructions on how to do this. Basically just start it in a cold oven then every half hour or so crank up the heat until you hit I think 350, then leave it for like 2 hours.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Made Kenji's cast iron skillet tortilla pizza at 2 am tonight. Everyone should make this pizza holy crap. Ridiculous pay off for such little effort. Use less sauce than you think you need. This is also a fantastic pizza to make for parties, since once the skillet and broiler are hot, it takes like 5-6 minutes per pizza start to finish. You can whip these things out.

That looks really good, I do love some thin crust pizza.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

Funny that you mention that, saw this pop up today:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/pizza-hack-baking-copper.html

baking copper!

Interesting stuff. At first I thought surely copper will win this but it did not. Also the cost for the copper versus the steel would have been nice to know.

I love my baking steel and crank out tasty pizzas every week.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Anyone have good tips re: transferring from peel to stone?

I use corn meal judiciously and have learned that allowing a bit of dough over the lip of the peel helps because then that bit can help drag the rest of the pie onto the stone. But I still run into trouble sometimes with misshapen pizzas resulting and also, if enough spills, the corn meal can burn in the oven.

Other than that though, getting a peel was a great investment, much crispier bottoms than when using parchment

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ever since I switched from corn meal to semolina flour, I haven't had any stickiness problems. As someone said I believe in this very thread, it is like putting the fucker on ball bearings.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Good tip, I'll try that. I used straight flour tonight and it was a disaster

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Semolina is good. Also give it a shake on the peel every few minutes while you're topping it- I generally do after each thing I put on, just to make sure it's staying unstuck.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

global tetrahedron posted:

Anyone have good tips re: transferring from peel to stone?

I use corn meal judiciously and have learned that allowing a bit of dough over the lip of the peel helps because then that bit can help drag the rest of the pie onto the stone. But I still run into trouble sometimes with misshapen pizzas resulting and also, if enough spills, the corn meal can burn in the oven.

Other than that though, getting a peel was a great investment, much crispier bottoms than when using parchment

I swear, one day I'll make a video about this. But let me lay it on you, the only reason pizzas stick to the peel is:

1.) Your peel is seriously hosed up, splinters everywhere, like a grenade went off on it.

2.) You didn't have your mise en place and you took waaaay too long putting your toppings on. What are you doing, man? Less is more.

3.) You didn't flour your dough enough, OR you didn't flour your peel enough. I've tested this over and over again. You need much MUCH more flour on your peel than you think you do. No, gently caress you Alton Brown, the flour won't stick to the pizza and burn in the oven. Take a bunch of flour in your palm and rub it into the peel like you're seasoning a cast iron pan. You want to get flour into all of those crevices. The bottom of your pie should also be floured. It'll slide right off.

But please, please, please for the love of all that is sacred in pizza making, don't put cornmeal or semolina on your peel. One, if you're having sticking problems, it won't help you one little bit unless you put a godawful shitload on the peel; second, it completely fucks up the texture of the crust and gives it a "discount bowling alley/children's fun zone" kind of texture. Which blows. Burn some flour, gently caress up the toss, fold, whatever. Worst case you end up with a $.75 ghetto calzone or stromboli that is still totally worth eating, since well, you loving made it from scratch. But the bottom crust of a pizza is sacrosanct; it should be an almost impossibly thin membrane of crispness, followed by the crumb texture of whatever style you're going for.

Just give it a shot, all I'm saying. Flour is cheap as gently caress.

As for peels, buy the biggest goddamn one that you think can comfortably fit in your oven. And get a long handle. Mine's 18x18" with a 2' handle. It was $13. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3273/wood-pizza-peels.html

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 1, 2015

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Flouring up my hands and the dough more worked well, but there was a good amount of flour still on the bottom of the pie. I might have gone a bit overboard.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Nostrum posted:

3.) You didn't flour your dough enough, OR you didn't flour your peel enough. I've tested this over and over again. You need much MUCH more flour on your peel than you think you do. No, gently caress you Alton Brown, the flour won't stick to the pizza and burn in the oven. Take a bunch of flour in your palm and rub it into the peel like you're seasoning a cast iron pan. You want to get flour into all of those crevices. The bottom of your pie should also be floured. It'll slide right off.

Getting too much flour on the peel and having too much of it stick to the pizza is definitely a valid concern.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

global tetrahedron posted:

Flouring up my hands and the dough more worked well, but there was a good amount of flour still on the bottom of the pie. I might have gone a bit overboard.

Just means you need to bake it a little longer. I made one for my kids the other day and they compared it to cookie doe without the cookie :P One of the hardest parts is balancing the right amount of flour to use.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I had an interesting pizza failure the other day.

Thin crust, baked on tiles in the oven, but the middle part of the crust didn't cook all the way through. I believe I put too many toppings in the middle, including wet things like artichoke hearts. Too much mass, too much moisture, and it didn't cook fast enough.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you allow it to over-poof you'll need to use more flour to keep it from sticking.

/e- I usually dust the top of the pie before I stretch it, use that for the bottom, don't flour the once bottom unless it sticks to my hands and use a tiny bit of cornmeal with no issues. I don't get a cornmeal taste either or burnt flakes. If you do, you're using way too much.

^^ Could have also not preheated enough.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 4, 2015

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I have said this before but allow me to repeat myself... If your crust sticks, pull an edge up and blow softly under it. This will form a bubble of air and the shell should slide easily off the peel.

However, if I am making a pizza which will be really wet or take a while to top, I par-bake the crust for thirty seconds. Foolproof.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Brawnfire posted:

I have said this before but allow me to repeat myself... If your crust sticks, pull an edge up and blow softly under it. This will form a bubble of air and the shell should slide easily off the peel.

However, if I am making a pizza which will be really wet or take a while to top, I par-bake the crust for thirty seconds. Foolproof.

Just use nonstick cookware and PAM the hell out of the pan or get olive oil and leave a small layer of oil under the doe.

captainhowdy
Jan 3, 2014

Now kindly undo these straps.
What works really well is using an all-metal frying pan, preheating that in the oven and then taking it out when hot, sprinkle lightly with olive oil, lay the flattened dough on it and quickly cover with tomato sauce and the toppings, then whip it in the oven.
Done in 4 minutes tops and pure awesomeness.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

shankerz posted:

Just means you need to bake it a little longer. I made one for my kids the other day and they compared it to cookie doe without the cookie :P One of the hardest parts is balancing the right amount of flour to use.

I run into this problem sometimes too. The pizza is the right amount of done, but there's too much flour on the bottom. I am a dummy who doesn't have a peel yet though, so I use a no lip baking sheet like a hobo.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I use rice flour myself. I could just try more regular flour next time, but it seems to be fine enough to have no noticeable texture, no flavor, and doesn't need that much for very low friction.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I run into this problem sometimes too. The pizza is the right amount of done, but there's too much flour on the bottom. I am a dummy who doesn't have a peel yet though, so I use a no lip baking sheet like a hobo.

Hey, as I was always told always work smart not hard, no lip baking sheets are how I started. Only problem if you move it too fast the pizza can slide off into the oven and cause a disaster and revenge of the blob as it spills out onto the floors.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is the best dough I have ever made.

Just used the dough recipe from here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/grilled-pizza-three-ways-recipe.html

Used a packet of Fleischman's Pizza Dough Yeast. Also I subbed in honey for the malted barley syrup.

Combined ingredients then in the Kitchenaid with the dough hook on medium for 15 minutes. I think in the past I never kneaded enough. I put this in the fridge overnight, then took it out in the morning. At lunch, I punched it down and kneaded the air out. I portioned it and rolled these into balls. I rolled the dough balls around to shape them, like if you're making a roll. I set these aside to rise again.

Dust with flour, stretch your pizza. Cooked on the stone at 550. Came out crisp on the outside, chewy and airy inside. Well developed flavor. The crust finished evenly with the toppings. Everything went perfectly.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Newbie here.

Am I supposed to form the pizza directly on the peel, then slide it onto the stone? I assume I'll need a bit of flour or something to keep it from sticking.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Newbie here.

Am I supposed to form the pizza directly on the peel, then slide it onto the stone? I assume I'll need a bit of flour or something to keep it from sticking.

Yes. Pizza should be baked right on the stone, or right on the rack. That said, I've been tinkering with baking thinner pizzas on a silpat, which in turn goes directly on the rack. Works great.

You can use "a bit of flour" to keep it from sticking, but the traditional choice is coarse cornmeal.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Squashy Nipples posted:

the traditional choice is coarse cornmeal.
:colbert: Semolina is way better

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I just use bread flour on the peel, and I've never had issues with sticking. I don't like the texture of cornmeal with my pizza.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Newbie here.

If I"m reading this right, you should form the dough on the counter, place on the peel, top the dough on the peel, then slide on the stone. If you're going with a pan pizza you can form in the pan.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yesterday I had a common problem--dough wouldn't stretch out. Whether it's neopolitan or NY style dough, I end up only being able to get my dough ball that should be 12-14" to stretch to 8 or so, making for a bready monstrosity. If I believe the hydration and everything is correct, what else do I need to be doing?

I got the dough balls out of the fridge 2 hours before I started forming them but it still felt colder than room temp. Should I take them out and start working them into discs earlier to bring them up to temp? Do I just need to be more patient when stretching in my hands?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If it's colder than room temp, let it sit for another hour or two. Also, you can stretch it, let it sit for 15 minutes to relax, and then stretch it some more.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Letting a crust that's snapping back on you rest for even 5 minutes can really help.

swansong
May 7, 2005

Goonfleet said I have to post on SA more
I came in thinking I was all set with my crust but there's pizza jargon here I've never even heard before...

More important to me: what do you pros do for sauce? Right now I kinda just add some Sriracha and herbs to a can of tomato sauce and some paste and simmer for as long as I have, and I mean it's pretty good but not incredible. I loving love sauce, I'd eat pizza with heavy sauce on awesome crust and topped only with more tomatoes every day. I've got the gadgets to do the whole pressure cooking thing to make my own but I've never tried it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

swansong posted:

I came in thinking I was all set with my crust but there's pizza jargon here I've never even heard before...

More important to me: what do you pros do for sauce? Right now I kinda just add some Sriracha and herbs to a can of tomato sauce and some paste and simmer for as long as I have, and I mean it's pretty good but not incredible. I loving love sauce, I'd eat pizza with heavy sauce on awesome crust and topped only with more tomatoes every day. I've got the gadgets to do the whole pressure cooking thing to make my own but I've never tried it.

Have you tried an uncooked pizza sauce? I prefer them, they're a bit lighter and fresher. You can either use a can of good quality whole tomatoes and puree them, or use a brand of ground tomatoes called 6-in-1 by Escalon (they're amazing you should try seeking them out if you can). Just mix in some salt, oregano, basil, maybe a bit of honey or sugar if you like your sauce sweeter, some crushed garlic, red pepper flakes. If your tomatoes are too liquidy or thin, you can either strain them, or add a bit of tomato paste. Then sauce your pizza as normal.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I use an uncooked sauce, but with about a 50-50 mix of tomato paste and water, plus seasonings and some grated parmesan for thickening.

Basically this recipe, only with far less honey because that's ridiculous: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/exquisite-pizza-sauce/

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I go uncooked, super simple most of the time- tomatoes, crushed or blended, dried oregano, minced garlic. Fresh basil if I've got it, which I usually don't.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

swansong posted:

More important to me: what do you pros do for sauce?

nmfree posted:

I'm sure this will offend pizza purists, but I make Alton's All-purpose Pantry Tomato Sauce, run it through the blender long enough to make it extra smooth, and freeze 2 cup portions in quart-sized Ziplok Bags.
...although for *~*reasons*~* I have a lot of mason jars now, so I freeze the sauce in those, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Killer robot posted:

I use an uncooked sauce, but with about a 50-50 mix of tomato paste and water, plus seasonings and some grated parmesan for thickening.

Basically this recipe, only with far less honey because that's ridiculous: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/exquisite-pizza-sauce/

This is basically the sauce recipe I use as well. Pro tip: don't skip the anchovy paste. You can't taste any fishiness from it, but it does add a nice savory element to the sauce. In general, pizza sauces should not be cooked. If you cook your sauce prior to putting it in the oven, it'll taste like you are having marinara on cheese sticks, as opposed to actual pizza. I used to cook my sauces, but I am much happier with the results after I stopped.