Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Everything Burrito posted:

Maybe try SkyTweak? I know it lets you change 2H speed and you can adjust weapon damage and stamina costs for specific things like power attacks & blocking, but it may not do enough if you're wanting more of a comprehensive overhaul. It's pretty neat for making slight adjustments to a whole bunch of stuff though.

SkyTweak is a better combat overhaul then anything else out there, it's a little more work but you can find what works for each individual character you play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Agents are GO! posted:

Hey everybody, especially CapnBeeb*, I created something that might interest you. I converted all the vanilla warpaints in Skyrim into RaceMenu facepaints which lets you do a little more with them (Like make them GLOW.) I mostly did it for me, but hey, somebody else might want it too. I also threw in a few other things I found in Skyrim Textures.bsa, like the face tattoos for Dremora and some other few things.

* For another one of his awesome screenshot binges.

Neat!

Also,

DID YOU KNOW THAT NINETY-SEVEN PERCENT OF ALL LIVING THINGS IN SKYRIM AREN'T EXPLODING RIGHT NOW? THAT'S BULLSHIT.

BUY EXPLODING ARROWS.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SirDan3k posted:

SkyTweak is a better combat overhaul then anything else out there, it's a little more work but you can find what works for each individual character you play.

Neat, I'm not using any combat overhauls so nice to know I don't need to change my mod lineup should I want to start.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
What do you all use to get screenshots in Skyrim? Steam screenshots is mangling the visuals somehow and my lovely immersive visuals have turned into blobby poo poo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Has anyone raved about Legend of the Eagle's Nest, by far the best player home mod ever, yet? It's a loving doom fortress on top of a mountain :black101: with its own quest to discover it, explore the abandoned fortress, and then restore it to its former glory. It's a bitch and a half to actually find the thing though. Here's how I did it:

Step 1: Go to Helgen. Start walking down the road towards Riverwood. DO NOT STRAY FROM THE ROAD.
Step 2: Shortly before you get to Riverwood, look around on the sides of the road. You will find a dead eagle on a ledge.
Step 3: Search the eagle. Retrieve the key and the book from its corpse.
Step 4: Read the book to activate the quest.
Step 5: You can try to follow the route in the book, but it's extremely easy to take the wrong way and end up at Bleak Falls Barrow and otherwise lost. If you want a quicker, more reliable route, do this...
Step 6: Go to the Western Watchtower, where you fought the first dragon in the game. Go due north until you reach a road running up the side of the mountain. Follow the road until you reach a wooden walkway that should be on your left. Walk just past the walkway, turn around, and then go up the stairs leading to the walkway. Follow the walkway to reach the gates of the castle ("Eagle's Stonetree").
Step 7: Once you pass through the Eagle's Stonetree mine and reach the Eagle's Nest, it will be deserted and empty. Return to Riverwood when you see the "spring cleaning" objective and follow the quest markers to buy furnishings, livestock, and hire a guard and a steward. The total outlay will be around 11000 gold.
Step 8: Return to the Eagle's Nest and enjoy your personal doom fortress. Give some gear to the guard so he looks the part. Visit the tower and stand on the balcony, gazing at the puny mortals on the plain of Whiterun below.

Also I'm having trouble with the main character on my new Skyrim playthrough (who is a remake of an earlier character, but I digress). There are these weird geometry errors near the corners of his eyes that I can't get rid of. I'm using RaceMenu, which I didn't in my previous Skyrim install. Does anyone know what I did that would cause this or how I can fix it? Fortunately his hair covers it from 99% of angles, but the 1% looks really, really bad.

Chief Savage Man posted:

What do you all use to get screenshots in Skyrim? Steam screenshots is mangling the visuals somehow and my lovely immersive visuals have turned into blobby poo poo.

Do you use ENBSeries? (You should.) Hit Print Screen and it will drop a bmp in your Skyrim main folder. Although for me it's only Shift+F12 that causes ENBSeries to turn off.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 31, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

f12 is the toggle ENB button, thats why. You could try rebinding that or your steam screenshot hotkey.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

These Loving Eyes posted:

Hey thread!

I bought Skyrim during the winter sale last week and wanted to enhance and spice up the vanilla experience a bit. I had already played the game for around six or seven hours on the Xbox 360, but got somewhat bored with it and found the inventory management on the controller a bit of a pain. I did a fair amount of googling, applied the official HD texture pack, installed the Mod Manager and started modding my base game. At first, I installed the unofficial Skyrim patch, Climates of Tamriel, SPERG and SkyUI, but when I finally got out in the wilderness, I was appalled by how bad Skyrim looked when it came to draw distances and LODs. Somehow I was more afraid of installing actual LOD, shoreline and landscape texture fixes because of incompability issues and thought a subtle ENB preset could fix most of my problems by limiting the view distance with depth of field. Well, I gave Seasons of Skyrim a try, but somehow managed to gently caress up the installation: I don't think the preset ever activated properly since there was no sign of depth of field and it made my game crash after a certain point in the beginning of the game. Rather than trying to root out the problem, I decided to give Skyrim a new clean install and ask for help in this thread.

So, I am going to be using these mods:
- Unofficial Skyrim patch
- SkyUI
- SPERG
- Climates of Tamriel
- Immersive armors

Now I am looking for mods that work correctly alongside the aforementioned ones. What I want is:
- better visuals: a good ENB might be enough, since I don't want to install eight different actual game world altering mods that may cause crashes and terrible visual glitches randomly
- more options for modifying your character's hair and face – these shouldn't conflict with the native armors, animations etc.

What are my best options here?

Also, I have some general questions:
1) Is the Mod Manager (the non-Nexus one) my best option for managing my mods?
2) When installing ENB presets, should I use only the ENB version mentioned in the preset or can I use a newer one?

Since I am kind of playing for the first time, I want the experience to be as smooth as possible. I still have nightmares from modding New Vegas too much on my first playthrough and not being able to finish the game because of crashes introduced by unfinished and unpolished mods.
RaceMenu is a must for character building. It's way more powerful than the basic character creator.
ApachiiSkyHair has hundreds of available hairstyles from lore-friendly to animu and everything in between. It does NOT overwrite any of the vanilla hair meshes! Best coupled with the natural retexture which will take the Pantene Pro-V gloss out of some of the shinier textures and generally make the hair look a lot better. There are a number of face textures available, the Less Blocky Faces one from the OP is the most vanilla-looking, while Geonox is a sharper and more lifelike texture for men only. The female face textures come in an absolutely dizzying variety so uh, I guess you can just browse the Nexus for stuff and beware of :nws: and :nms:.

E: The slightly unfortunately named Real Girls face texture set might be a bit too "Hollywood" for some but it's probably the best female companion to Geonox male faces that I've seen. (:nws: screenshot on the page because one of the two pictures has a body mod as well and this is Nexus so...)

The best CoT-compatible ENB is True Vision. The "natural" preset is the best. Turn your game brightness to zero after installing this ENB to make it look correct. Realistic Overhaul works beautifully with CoT and True Vision and removes much of the "pudding face" effect from interior lighting. Read the installer and look at all the options before installing, a few modules are incompatible with CoT and should be left unchecked!

E2: If you use the SXP experience mod and Immersive creatures together, :siren: DISABLE DRAMAN SKELETONS :siren:. SXP thinks they are dragons and will award you ten times the normal experience. You could earn 200,000+ experience raiding a dragon shrine infested with Draman Skeletons and that's just ridiculous. Plus they're annoying, ragdoll you, and play dragon music even if no dragon is around so gently caress them.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 31, 2014

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Woolie Wool posted:

Do you use ENBSeries? (You should.) Hit Print Screen and it will drop a bmp in your Skyrim main folder. Although for me it's only Shift+F12 that causes ENBSeries to turn off.

Indeed I do and that makes a lot of sense.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

RaceMenu is a must for character building. It's way more powerful than the basic character creator.
ApachiiSkyHair has hundreds of available hairstyles from lore-friendly to animu and everything in between. It does NOT overwrite any of the vanilla hair meshes! Best coupled with the natural retexture which will take the Pantene Pro-V gloss out of some of the shinier textures and generally make the hair look a lot better. There are a number of face textures available, the Less Blocky Faces one from the OP is the most vanilla-looking, while Geonox is a sharper and more lifelike texture for men only. The female face textures come in an absolutely dizzying variety so uh, I guess you can just browse the Nexus for stuff and beware of :nws: and :nms:.

E: The slightly unfortunately named Real Girls face texture set might be a bit too "Hollywood" for some but it's probably the best female companion to Geonox male faces that I've seen. (:nws: screenshot on the page because one of the two pictures has a body mod as well and this is Nexus so...)

The best CoT-compatible ENB is True Vision. The "natural" preset is the best. Turn your game brightness to zero after installing this ENB to make it look correct. Realistic Overhaul works beautifully with CoT and True Vision and removes much of the "pudding face" effect from interior lighting. Read the installer and look at all the options before installing, a few modules are incompatible with CoT and should be left unchecked!

E2: If you use the SXP experience mod and Immersive creatures together, :siren: DISABLE DRAMAN SKELETONS :siren:. SXP thinks they are dragons and will award you ten times the normal experience. You could earn 200,000+ experience raiding a dragon shrine infested with Draman Skeletons and that's just ridiculous. Plus they're annoying, ragdoll you, and play dragon music even if no dragon is around so gently caress them.

I use Xenius Character Enhancement with the vanilla bodies, I think it's got a nice vanilla-but-better aesthetic.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I never cared for the vanilla look much myself. Everyone in vanilla looks like these gaunt, bloodless waxworks covered in filth and varicose veins.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Woolie Wool posted:

I never cared for the vanilla look much myself. Everyone in vanilla looks like these gaunt, bloodless waxworks covered in filth and varicose veins.

This is actually the biggest argument for using ENB - subsurface scattering makes skin look like, well, skin. I can pretty much take or leave everything else, but SSS is such a ridiculous improvement it justifies the FPS drop.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
SPERG adds an enchanting perk that lets you learn "unique spells" from staffs. How exactly does it work? I got the one from the Staff of Magnus, but not from the Staff of Jyrik Gauldurson or the "Light of Meridia" staff the mod adds. Which staffs actually work with the perk, and what triggers the spell-learning?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Tin Tim posted:

So I was wondering if there was a mod that reduces the number of dragons that haunt you?

Like, when I bring loot to my house and leave, 50/50 on a dragon appearing. When I go to some podunk town to sell stuff, 50/50 on a dragon jumping me when I leave the store. While I'm walking through the mountains, 50/50 on a dragon just coming out of nowhere. And it's not like these things can even hurt me very much with my 80 cold res, legendary ebony armor and potions for the other elements! Every fight with a dragon is just a horrible slog for me now, because you have to bow them a bunch before they decide to finally land so that I can cave their skull in. The very first time I fought one was super scary and fun, but the dragons(which are supposed to be a pillar of the story) become completely meaningless after a while because they're basically just another random encounter. It's really quite the sad feat when a game makes you go :barf: instead of :ohdear: when you're dealing with god drat dragons.

I've unlocked 23 words by now and still sit on a huge pile of souls, so it's not like I would need dragons to jump me every three days or something like that. I would be totally fine with them being gated to places of power, bounties and rare world encounters. But nope, there are a million of them and they patiently wait to jump me one after the other.

Bit late to reply to you, but you don't actually need mods to do this if you are willing/interested in slowing down the ingame clock. Dragon attacks are based on time passed ingame, so when you use the "set timescale to X" command you will also have dragons being more rare as a side-effect. I always thought time passed way too fast in Tamriel, so i set my timescale to 10 (20 is the default), that also doubles the time between dragons and as a result i'm pretty soul starved and have to make actual choices about what to unlock.

Setting the timescale too low can break your game, apparently the lowest safe value is 6, but i wouldn't go lower than 10, always better to be as safe as possible with TES modding/tweaking.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

SPERG adds an enchanting perk that lets you learn "unique spells" from staffs. How exactly does it work? I got the one from the Staff of Magnus, but not from the Staff of Jyrik Gauldurson or the "Light of Meridia" staff the mod adds. Which staffs actually work with the perk, and what triggers the spell-learning?

Use the staff in combat thirty times and you'll gain the spell. The staffs that should work with the perk are the SPERG added staffs and the vanilla staffs.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks for the input! Seems like I have to put up with the slog until I get that shout. I'm up to elder dragons by now, but didn't follow the main quest that much. Free roaming and such, ya know?
You can try increasing the global WIWaitDragon via the console. This has a default value of 3, which means there should be 3 days in between each random dragon spawn.
Commend: "set DragonsReturned to #")

Alternatively this should disable dragons completely:
"set DragonsReturned to 0"
"prid 5eacd"
"disable"
You can enable them again with:
"set DragonsReturned to 1"
"prid 5eacd"
"enable"

Thanks mate.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
If you're going to use the console for it, just set WINextDragon to 999999 and be done with it. Dragons will stop showing up. When you want a dragon to show again, set it to 1, and then things will proceed as normal after that, or you can set the value high again. And to reduce the frequency, like Raygereio says set WIWaitDragon to adjust the frequency they appear at.

I would not mess with the DragonsReturned global though, as that is checked by scripts and used in conditionals here and there, and can screw things up if you're at a point in the game where dragons are supposed to have returned already, but that value is set to something other than it should be.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

Has anyone raved about Legend of the Eagle's Nest, by far the best player home mod ever, yet?

I downloaded it, but haven't had a chance to play through the content yet. I agree though, mountaintop fortresses are badass. TESVEdit says it's missing a navmesh, but author says its a minor issue that'll be fixed in the next update.

Another awesome player home that happens to be located nearby is Jaggersfield. It looks like the ultimate in terms of storing and displaying your loot. It's got a small cabin located in a Bloated Man's Grotto-type of caldera that has auto-sorting for mundane stuff, and special racks for things like Elder Scrolls and Dragon Claw keys. The real gem is a vault semi-hidden behind a waterfall that has a ton of armor and weapon racks for common and unique gear. Including stands for Miraak's stuff, the priest masks, the Deadric artifacts, and the Black Books.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38392/

Woolie Wool posted:

Also I'm having trouble with the main character on my new Skyrim playthrough (who is a remake of an earlier character, but I digress). There are these weird geometry errors near the corners of his eyes that I can't get rid of. I'm using RaceMenu, which I didn't in my previous Skyrim install. Does anyone know what I did that would cause this or how I can fix it? Fortunately his hair covers it from 99% of angles, but the 1% looks really, really bad.

Sounds like it's just an issue with the sliders. In every game that has this kind of character creation, I've carefully shaped my character's face and have it look great, only to be horrified once the game starts and I see him from other angles. Only advice I can give is to use Racemenu's camera features to look at your character's face from as many angles as possible before you commit to a character.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I eventually found it, it was the Age slider. Since my character is supposed to be around 19, I set the slider to a negative value. Moving it up to 0 fixed the issue (actually the only thing negative values seem to do is gently caress up the cheekbone/eye area). Next time I start a new game I should start with a bald head and select the hair only when I'm satisfied with the face.

Another awesome mod: Character Creation Overhaul, which adds Oblivion/Morrowind's race/class/birthsign system and removes the standing stones (birthsigns are permanent!). Makes your choice of a character have actual meaning (at least until high levels when characters become good at everything, which is something about this game that really annoys me). If you stack all the possible buffs (race bonus, specialization bonus, tagged skill) on a certain skill you can start the game with that skill as high as 35. Conversely, if you ignore a skill it can start as low as 5.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 31, 2014

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Woolie Wool posted:

I eventually found it, it was the Age slider. Since my character is supposed to be around 19, I set the slider to a negative value. Moving it up to 0 fixed the issue (actually the only thing negative values seem to do is gently caress up the cheekbone/eye area). Next time I start a new game I should start with a bald head and select the hair only when I'm satisfied with the face.

Another awesome mod: Character Creation Overhaul, which adds Oblivion/Morrowind's race/class/birthsign system and removes the standing stones (birthsigns are permanent!). Makes your choice of a character have actual meaning (at least until high levels when characters become good at everything, which is something about this game that really annoys me). If you stack all the possible buffs (race bonus, specialization bonus, tagged skill) on a certain skill you can start the game with that skill as high as 35. Conversely, if you ignore a skill it can start as low as 5.

I want to like that one, but a lot of times the game seems to expect you to be starting in the 20 range in all your skills. Being unable to do the introductory smithing quest because your smithing skill is just that low really sucks and makes it incredibly frustrating to get the skill up to non-atrocious levels.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

One thing: If you do use this with SPERG, after character creation is all said and done, go into the SPERG MCM and select "Check Auto-Perks" to make sure you get all the perks you should for your skill numbers.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Woolie Wool posted:

I really like CCO. One of the things I hated about unmodded Skyrim was how they trivialized the choices you make at character creation. Sure you get an initial bonus to some skills and a unique power depending on your race, but it wasn't enough to make it matter to the extent that I wish it did. CCO helps with that a lot without the craziness that comes with Resplendent Racials. I just wish the author finished his positive/negative trait system before calling it quits, that seemed really cool.

Phetz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 31, 2014

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

One thing: If you do use this with SPERG, after character creation is all said and done, go into the SPERG MCM and select "Check Auto-Perks" to make sure you get all the perks you should for your skill numbers.

Well that saves me from asking how well it plays with SPERG. I was planning to disable auto-perks anyway since my last go around had an overabundance of the things.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Woolie Wool posted:

The best CoT-compatible ENB is True Vision. The "natural" preset is the best. Turn your game brightness to zero after installing this ENB to make it look correct.

How does True Vision compare to Phinix ENB?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Canemacar posted:

Well that saves me from asking how well it plays with SPERG. I was planning to disable auto-perks anyway since my last go around had an overabundance of the things.

That shouldn't happen if your community uncapper ini is properly set up. You got a perk every other level, right?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

That shouldn't happen if your community uncapper ini is properly set up. You got a perk every other level, right?

No, I was getting them every level. I'll look over my .ini file next time I get a chance. Probably some time next year...

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Canemacar posted:

No, I was getting them every level. I'll look over my .ini file next time I get a chance. Probably some time next year...

Be sure that in this line

quote:

bUsePerksAtLevelUp=0

the "0" is changed to "1", so that it's enabled. That always gets me whenever I reinstall Skyrim, so that might be your problem.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'm having a problem with ENB running Seasons of Skyrim wherein I need to turn off Bloom and turn on OriginalPostProcessing and OriginalObjectsProcessing to even initialise a game, but then have to turn on Bloom and turn off OriginalObjectsProcessing once I'm in the game.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'm having a problem with ENB running Seasons of Skyrim wherein I need to turn off Bloom and turn on OriginalPostProcessing and OriginalObjectsProcessing to even initialise a game, but then have to turn on Bloom and turn off OriginalObjectsProcessing once I'm in the game.

Which version of the enb dll are you using? Seasons of Skyrim was made for .236, it might have weird problems like that if you use an older or newer version.

Edit: Revamped Exterior Fog is covered by the Climates of Tamriel weather patch. You don't need it and the weather patch page recommends you not use it.

Dootman fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 1, 2015

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Dootman posted:

Which version of the enb dll are you using? Seasons of Skyrim was made for .236, it might have weird problems like that if you use an older or newer version.

I'm using 0.236

\/\/\/ Will do

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 1, 2015

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'm using 0.236

It's kind of a pain in the rear end to swap ENB configs, but you can try using another ENB like phinix and see if it still does that.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i'm going to shitpost about mods/authors in this thread.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
but before I do that, since I'm not going to read the OP, someone tell me what mods I should install in Skyrim if I beat it and now want a challenging game with permanent death and fun combat. and titties.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

THE PENETRATOR posted:

but before I do that, since I'm not going to read the OP, someone tell me what mods I should install in Skyrim if I beat it and now want a challenging game with permanent death and fun combat. and titties.

Get the pee fetish mod.

e: don't actually get the pee fetish mod

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61140/
hottt

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

this mod is extremely my poo poo.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

Be sure that in this line

the "0" is changed to "1", so that it's enabled. That always gets me whenever I reinstall Skyrim, so that might be your problem.

Thanks, just changed it. Any other recommended tweaks to the .ini file?

Ended up taking some Christmas money and got myself a better graphics card since everythings on sale right now. Ended up getting a card with 4 gigs of vram and a higher clock speed, so hopefully I'll get to play around with enb settings next week.

Canemacar fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 1, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Well, I decided to make a racemenu tattoo pack based on actual stuff in the game (Seriously, where are the lore-based tattoos?!) and I just finished one that I find amusing:

"Llllladies. Could I interest you in some... treasure?"

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
What is a good character look overhaul mod that is not anime looking or creepy?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
but seriously. which boobie mod is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Toxsyl posted:

What is a good character look overhaul mod that is not anime looking or creepy?

Agents are GO! posted:

I use Xenius Character Enhancement with the vanilla bodies, I think it's got a nice vanilla-but-better aesthetic.

• Locked thread