Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I'm an accessory in all those reviews, it's really all about Anna. She has quite the fanbase, it's always ridiculous having like 10 people come up to her every event we go on. I just ride her coat tails and get to try out new hardware and hang out with the pros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Was it the freeride E? Link to review?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

250R: http://trailrider.com/magazine/?p=894

The Freeride was fun, but the highlight of that day was the TE-125. I also got a lot of seat time on the 2015 KTM 350, which I now regret not buying over my 250. It feels like it weighs the same, but the power is noticeably increased.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Alright - the snow is on the ground.

Need to start planning a January moto trip to a snowless area. Any recommendations within a 14 hour or so drive from New England? DO we have any dirt goons in the mid atlantic region?

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
Its 15-20 degrees in central NY where I usually go riding and everyone got their snowmobiles out. My YZ is chilling in a hayloft (:cmon:) and I'll prepare it for winter storage on Saturday. Picked up MXGP for playstation4 yesterday to help with this anxiety and its a kickass game :shobon:

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Evil the Cat posted:

Its 15-20 degrees in central NY where I usually go riding and everyone got their snowmobiles out. My YZ is chilling in a hayloft (:cmon:) and I'll prepare it for winter storage on Saturday. Picked up MXGP for playstation4 yesterday to help with this anxiety and its a kickass game :shobon:

Don't forget, ATGATT!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Anna at the Toys for Tots fun run last weekend:

She also wrote up her first enduro experience:
http://trailrider.com/magazine/?p=941

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Tell her to get some whitespace between her paragraphs - thnx.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Evil the Cat posted:

MX vs ATV Supercross released last month too, it's pretty fun.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Contemplating trying to buy a 250 4T motocross bike. Probably not going to worry about riding trails, just a little DOONZ bike. I always rode my YZ450F better than my YZ250 but I'm thinking I don't need the power of the 450. What should I buy? Anyone spied any deals out in WA that look good?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Craigslist is being a giant turd this morning/last night but I haven't seen any crazy deals on that exact search for a while

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

n8r posted:

Contemplating trying to buy a 250 4T motocross bike. Probably not going to worry about riding trails, just a little DOONZ bike. I always rode my YZ450F better than my YZ250 but I'm thinking I don't need the power of the 450. What should I buy? Anyone spied any deals out in WA that look good?

Any 2006+ YZ250F or SX250F would be my choice.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Not to be contrary but around here the thought is the KX250F's make the most power up until recently - something that I think would qualify it as a DOONZ bike. They are significantly louder than the others with a stock exhaust though. Maybe that explains it.

2011 350SX's tend to be all over the place here for reasonable prices. Not sure why, but maybe the phenomenon is the same on your side of the country. They'd be an excellent choice. My recent reaction to riding the 2015 350 compared to my 2014 250 is no noticeable weight difference, but a large power difference.

Handcranked
Aug 17, 2013
I picked up a 1992 Suzuki dr650 RS for cheap this weekend, just to have something to work on this winter, i want to get rid of the ugly dual sport plastics, but i cant seem to find any aftermarket plastics for the bike, so, i guess i have to figure something out on my own :(

Edit:
This is why it was cheap, plus a worn out crank-bearing, and a scratched up oil pump, i have ordered a new cylinder, new high compression piston, new oil pump, new timing chain and tensioner.

Handcranked fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 24, 2014

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Quite the newb here, but what's wrong with that piston? Is that particularly bad wear on the wall? From my 0 experience point of view it just looks like the kind of scoring you'd expect from an old piston, but nothing that would cause drastic issues.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The problem is he's using beer as lubrication

Depending on the age it may just be worn out. If you replace a piston without also replacing the cylinder (which are typically matched at the factor with a letter designation based on their measurements) you need to mic the cylinder and order a properly sized piston. When he pulled of his cylinder all you need to do to determine if the crank bearing is bad is pull on the rod. If you have play, you either have a bad rod bearing or crank bearing. From there you take off the electrical cover and see if the flywheel has wiggle.

If your crank bearings are bad suffice to say it's time for a top end too.

Handcranked
Aug 17, 2013
Yeah i kinda figured it was time for a new top end, and since i was already pulling the cylinder and head, i figured it was time for a new timing chain and tensioner too, the weird thing is, that the only damage to the piston is on the port sides, and i got some pitting / chipping on the top part of the piston, my guess is someone have been riding on some sand / dirt with a bad airfilter or a leak in the airbox.

Edit:
This is the exhaust side of the cylinder bore.

Handcranked fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 25, 2014

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Newest (dead) bike to my stable! I picked up a 2009 YZ250F for a decent price. It needs... pretty much everything. The engine had been previously rebuilt, albeit poorly.
Found this gem when I was taking the engine down. It seems the PO found a separated bit when he did the bottom end the first time, and tried to stop the crack. More than fixable on its own, but the oil pump area is thrashed as well.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The motorcycle equivalent of drilling holes to stop the cracks in the dash of your car from spreading. :haw:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I raced arenacross this weekend in Monroe, WA. I raced 450 beginner, won my qualifier but took 3rd in the main, 7 riders total. The gates were at an angle to the main turn, such that the right most gate was nearly a bike length back from the inside. I had last gate pick for the qualifier, but the best gate was open. I got the holeshot, took defensive lines, and it was over before I knew it.

Same thing happened in the main, but I stalled in on the second lap. I was getting bad arm pump from slamming the rhythm section and was relying on the rear brake too much.

Qualifier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCmerkObifU

Main:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzc_1jWS2tc

The riding is insanely fun, but you spend so much time waiting around. I was there for 6 hours and rode two practices and two races, it couldn't have been more than 20 minutes total. There were 260 entries, 43 motos.

The pros took crazy lines:
https://plus.google.com/113660252730934310239/posts/Ec2PLzMMB5d

Thanksgiving leftovers nearly made up for the the 25F weather

Today Spiff and I tried to ride, but his 450 wasn't running so well:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Man, everyone is doing arenacross all of a sudden. My facebook was blown up from some Albany, NY and Boston, MA arenacross sessions last week. Do you know if it suddenly got an influx of money or clubs or something to make it so widespread?

Either way, I'm jealous. That looks like boat loads of fun. Your complaint, however, is the reason I don't do J-Day offroad at any other time than the winter races - 4 hours of waiting and 1 hour of riding. I think this year I'm going to contest Enduro for that reason - also there are 8 races instead of 16 which saves money.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

That looks like a real hoot. Your riding since the last video has improved like mad. Your life didn't flash before my eyes even once. Looks to me like it's now really time to work on your cornering/line selection.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Hey ya'll

I'm playing fantasy SX for the upcoming supercross season. You should too!

https://www.rmfantasysx.com/

It's free, looks fun. I made a little group: bieks pw: braaap

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

Hey ya'll

I'm playing fantasy SX for the upcoming supercross season. You should too!

https://www.rmfantasysx.com/

It's free, looks fun. I made a little group: bieks pw: braaap

I'm in. I don't have cable to watch it on this year, but I was looking for a reason to not get bored halfway through the season.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Deeters posted:

I'm in. I don't have cable to watch it on this year, but I was looking for a reason to not get bored halfway through the season.

Yeah - I'm actually kind of bummed it seems you can't pick for the 250 class. We've got a local guy competing and I wanted to express my optimism.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Welp. I expected more from Barcia and less from Anderson.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

I'm a fan of Eli, Trey, and Davi this year for the title (pick any one). Dungey is too frustrating. Roczen is unfortunately the odds on favorite but I just don't like him... don't hate him,... just don't like him. He's really bland and cornball.

Bowers is the MAN, love that dude. It'd be cool to see Hansen win a race.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Kony Kid posted:

I'm a fan of Eli, Trey, and Davi this year for the title (pick any one). Dungey is too frustrating. Roczen is unfortunately the odds on favorite but I just don't like him... don't hate him,... just don't like him. He's really bland and cornball.

Bowers is the MAN, love that dude. It'd be cool to see Hansen win a race.

I'm surprised the AMA didn't fine Bowers. Good for him. I want Canard to win just because he's god drat hilarious despite his religious nonsense. I'd put my money on Millsaps for the title. I had Dungey for the win last time, going to dial him back in the next fantasy round.

Gonna put my picks in tonight

I should also say I want Yamaha riders to win because I think Yamaha should be rewarded by making crazy bikes - but I know better.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 6, 2015

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Much better this time, but still expected too much from Canard.

Tomac looks unbeatable.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
2014, Go Pro year in review. Didn't ride as much as I should have but got some decent stuff in. Good times. :)

http://youtu.be/X8QffIkyock

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

ChewedFood fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 27, 2021

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Awesome vid Silver. I think we have had similar experiences with quad rotors.

I really need to get the patience to edit my GoPro videos. I just have a lovely tablet that makes it so frustrating.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/4829678541.html

What should I look at on these things? I want a 250 2t for <$1500, if possible. Last time I rode a dirtbike was probably 15 years ago and it was a YZ80, this should be fun. :lol:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Recent top end so thats a plus. Leaks, broken poo poo, things of that nature.

I had one that was street legal and converted to a motard. It was killer fun when it ran.

E: which uh leads me to the next thing. Ignore the factory premix instructions, you'll kill it fast.

40-50:1 with synthetic 2t premix.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Don't get a YZ250 as your first dirtbike unless you're big into broken bones. YZ125 is fine for normal use, or an older WR/YZ250F.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is that don't-start-on-a-600 advice or real speak of you're actually gonna hurt yourself?

cursedshitbox posted:

Recent top end so thats a plus. Leaks, broken poo poo, things of that nature.

I had one that was street legal and converted to a motard. It was killer fun when it ran.

E: which uh leads me to the next thing. Ignore the factory premix instructions, you'll kill it fast.

40-50:1 with synthetic 2t premix.
Unfortunately, I don't know how a 2t is supposed to run when right so it would be an adventure. Noted on the premix though. :)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Unfortunately, I don't know how a 2t is supposed to run when right so it would be an adventure. Noted on the premix though. :)

Z3n posted:

Don't get a YZ250 as your first dirtbike unless you're big into broken bones. YZ125 is fine for normal use, or an older WR/YZ250F.

Thats how you know its running right.

Mine would run 92mph. It'll outpull bigger bikes once you hit the pipe.
a 250 2t is like stepping into a 450 4t.

The power valves can and do stick if they're not ridden regularly, or grannied. it'll have nooo bottom end when they stick.

Comedy option: CR500.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I have quite a lot to say on this subject but I'm at work. What do you plan on using the bike for? Woods? Rocks? Doonz? MotoX?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fair enough, 125 2t or 250f (if I can find one) it shall be. I was also kinda reading about the KDX220.

It'll be for desert riding, sometimes northern Arizona woods, and since there is a kart track that just started offering SuMo trackdays again... well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you don't mind the drive:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/4799887567.html

E: Projex
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/4784559832.html

E2! http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/4743452771.html

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 14, 2015