Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Stay out of the building, carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

I've literally got bronchitis. Ain't nobody got time for that!

e; no, seriously, this loving sucks, i'm sleepwalking awake and there's nobody to fill my slot because right now there's a staff exodus. Am I pathological for not wanting to take time off because I loving KNOW that when I get back it'll be to a pitted, beshitted station and further staff hemorrhage? Is this that stockholm syndrome liquid communism was talking about?

In a word: Yes.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Willie Tomg posted:

I've literally got bronchitis. Ain't nobody got time for that!

e; no, seriously, this loving sucks, i'm sleepwalking awake and there's nobody to fill my slot because right now there's a staff exodus. Am I pathological for not wanting to take time off because I loving KNOW that when I get back it'll be to a pitted, beshitted station and further staff hemorrhage? Is this that stockholm syndrome liquid communism was talking about?

Yes.

I've been doing some mild chest infection thing for the last week or so. I've been down this road before, and I know that all I need is to take like one day where I just say in bed and drink juice, but no, instead I'm picking up a shift at my friend's cart, on top of my two other places. So yeah, I'm gonna end up getting full blown bronchitis and get yelled at for showing up to work with green ooze leaking out of my lungs, but MUST KEEP WORKING BECAUSE OF... SOME REASON??

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
We've got a chef who never takes off no matter how sick he is and magically when he does that the ENTIRE staff gets sick and we're more hosed than if he'd taken off. Its the weirdest poo poo. What I'm saying is you should go in and cough on everyone.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I rolled out my new menu tonight, it was pretty awesome. Did have a sandwich ring in no onion, then they complained they didn't get their onion rings. Because those are cooked and totally different or something.

anotherjen
Oct 23, 2010
Oh hey, I finally made it all the way through this thread.

I've been a bartender and server at a restaurant named after a Rolling Stones song for lots of years now. Mostly because I could work when I wanted and support my family. It's been hell recently, with terrible management from the top down and serious understaffing and just bad decisions made all around. I took a second job last March at a restaurant that was bought by two high-profile local chefs just for a nice change of pace. Over the summer it didn't really make me any money because they were experimenting and transitioning but I liked working for people and not just being an employee number. They closed for remodeling at the beginning of the fall and opened 2 months later as a fine dining restaurant. Holy poo poo. The money...I never knew I could make money like this. And the management. And working with a real chef. Wow. I love it so much. But my other main job is so understaffed that they are hiring anyone who shows up and hiring in people as bartenders. I can't get rid of my shifts and restrict my availability without finding a replacement. I'm hesitant to quit entirely because it's a safety net for me, but I also recognize that this reluctance is what has kept me there for so long and let me stagnate. So, um, hello restaurant thread! It's been enjoyable reading, and I've also learned warning signs for when jumping ship is appropriate.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

anotherjen posted:

I've been a bartender and server at a restaurant named after a Rolling Stones song for lots of years now. Mostly because I could work when I wanted and support my family. It's been hell recently, with terrible management from the top down and serious understaffing and just bad decisions made all around. I took a second job last March at a restaurant that was bought by two high-profile local chefs just for a nice change of pace. Over the summer it didn't really make me any money because they were experimenting and transitioning but I liked working for people and not just being an employee number. They closed for remodeling at the beginning of the fall and opened 2 months later as a fine dining restaurant. Holy poo poo. The money...I never knew I could make money like this. And the management. And working with a real chef. Wow. I love it so much. But my other main job is so understaffed that they are hiring anyone who shows up and hiring in people as bartenders. I can't get rid of my shifts and restrict my availability without finding a replacement. I'm hesitant to quit entirely because it's a safety net for me, but I also recognize that this reluctance is what has kept me there for so long and let me stagnate. So, um, hello restaurant thread! It's been enjoyable reading, and I've also learned warning signs for when jumping ship is appropriate.

If you can get enough hours at the newer place you should jump ship now, don't let the opportunity slip away, it doesn't come around often.

anotherjen
Oct 23, 2010
Well, one of my bosses asked when I was going to stop slinging salad bars and come work there full time a couple of weeks ago, so I think they'd be willing to give me shifts. I'm just afraid to take the leap. But then I think of my corporate job, where the grill cook microwaves things when he doesn't feel like cooking them, and where the corporation is sending out coupons left and right, bringing in lots of business when they drop but not the kind of business that wants to spend money or come back without a coupon, and, well...

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If they're hiring anybody with a pulse at your poo poo job, like you said, they'll still be hiring later. Just give your notice and see out the two weeks and you'll be able to get your job back there or somewhere similar in a heartbeat if you need to (you won't need to).

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I rolled out my new menu tonight, it was pretty awesome. Did have a sandwich ring in no onion, then they complained they didn't get their onion rings. Because those are cooked and totally different or something.

Unless theysaid it was for an allergy reason, some people just like the taste/texture of a cooked onion instead of a raw one. Or any food for that matter.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

anotherjen posted:

If you can get hours at the good gig, quit the lovely one and take the plunge.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

We've got a chef who never takes off no matter how sick he is and magically when he does that the ENTIRE staff gets sick and we're more hosed than if he'd taken off. Its the weirdest poo poo. What I'm saying is you should go in and cough on everyone.

I know, it's a completely illogical reaction and a stupid thing to do. I had a boss at my first kitchen job that would like refuse to let people call in sick and threaten to fire us if we did (me: "that is insanely illegal" boss: "so? Chipotle has better lawyers than you." she got poo poo canned when a regional HR guy saw me puking in the dish pit trash can) and so for whatever reason I still have a really hard time calling off when I'm sick. Also everywhere I work now is insanely understaffed. lovely excuse though

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

LivesInGrey posted:

Unless theysaid it was for an allergy reason, some people just like the taste/texture of a cooked onion instead of a raw one. Or any food for that matter.

Yep. I loving hate raw onions and will go to the ends of the earth to pick them all out, but I will put the hurt on a basket of onion rings.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Sex Hobbit posted:

Yep. I loving hate raw onions and will go to the ends of the earth to pick them all out, but I will put the hurt on a basket of onion rings.

The onion rings are on the sandwich though. And are the only onion on the dish, so :iiam:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Sex Hobbit posted:

Madness. Cooked onions are often too sweet, someone make an onion ring that where somehow the onion is still raw and I will sing their praises to the heavens.

Edit: onionrings on sandwiches are unpleasant due to the tendency of cooked onion to not bite through cleanly which can pull toppings off of the sandwich.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

The onion rings are on the sandwich though. And are the only onion on the dish, so :iiam:

This is just a solid case of 'people be dumb, people no read'. It'll happen again, for sure. Wait until someone orders that sandwich gluten free because they have an "allergy" and then get super mad when the onion rings don't show up on their pile of sandwich poo poo on a plate.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

LivesInGrey posted:

Which is why there are places which give you raw onion as a free topping, but charge you $1 for putting caramelized onion on your burger.

gently caress those places.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Listen man the gas cost of running that griddle and labor for the line cook and

gently caress it, raw onions rule, get hosed weirdos

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Vegetable Melange posted:

Listen man the gas cost of running that griddle and labor for the line cook and

gently caress it, raw onions rule, get hosed weirdos
Agreed.

So why are restaurant onions so much less stinky? They just soak the onions for a bit?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

ascendance posted:

Which is why there are places which give you raw onion as a free topping, but charge you $1 for putting caramelized onion on your burger.

gently caress those places.

I mean, you also lose like 70% of the weight of the onion when you carm it if you do it right, so there's that.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

We have the "type it, talk it" rule, meaning that if we didn't give you a button to order it and you need to type it in, you need to come back and ask/explain what your customer wants to the chef/expo.

It works great when they actually do it...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ascendance posted:

Agreed.

So why are restaurant onions so much less stinky? They just soak the onions for a bit?

My guess would be that since the onions are prepped before service, and are probably sitting already sliced for a while, that enough time goes by for the most volatile compounds to evaporate as opposed to using freshly-cut onions when you're preparing them at home and using them immediately.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Radio Help posted:

I know, it's a completely illogical reaction and a stupid thing to do. I had a boss at my first kitchen job that would like refuse to let people call in sick and threaten to fire us if we did (me: "that is insanely illegal" boss: "so? Chipotle has better lawyers than you." she got poo poo canned when a regional HR guy saw me puking in the dish pit trash can) and so for whatever reason I still have a really hard time calling off when I'm sick. Also everywhere I work now is insanely understaffed. lovely excuse though

Don't go to work sick. I don't want some poor old lady to die from your your loving Typhoid Mary rear end because you won't call in sick.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I had one of those "tables keep getting sat in my section and none of them have water glass oh god where are the water glasses and my manager is drunk" server nightmares this morning.

Looking forward to New Year's Eve!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Slayed, I mean absolutely CRUSHED my trial at my dream job last night.

Tonight, back in for a 30 course, 15-magnums of ultra rare wine, $600 a head seating tonight.

I loving love my job.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hope everyone stays safe and makes good money out there tonight, happy new year's eve!

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I... I don't even know what to say about this. I have NYE off. I have New Year's Day off. We're completely shut down both days. I mean, I went in today to do office work / inventory / catch up on some baking so I was there like 9 hours, but I was drinking the whole time and even had a nap in the middle so it didn't even feel like work. I... I have plans to go out and meet up with friends before 3am today. This is loving weird.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.

Naelyan posted:

I... I don't even know what to say about this. I have NYE off. I have New Year's Day off. We're completely shut down both days. I mean, I went in today to do office work / inventory / catch up on some baking so I was there like 9 hours, but I was drinking the whole time and even had a nap in the middle so it didn't even feel like work. I... I have plans to go out and meet up with friends before 3am today. This is loving weird.

This is my first NYE and day off as well, in like 4 or 5 years. I will probably still head in when they close at 2am and have drinks with my cooking buddies afterwards lol

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Happy new year to anyone else who did nye service and is coming back before opening to do inventory...

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

pile of brown posted:

Happy new year to anyone else who did nye service and is coming back before opening to do inventory...

I did my inventory before I left last night. Didn't want to be ruined for the job.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Today I had a server tell me that it wasn't her job to know the menu.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ever spent $1200 for a seating and not show up? Ever spent $1200 so you and your date can alternate passing out drunk/asleep at the table before the 17th course? Me either. But I watched two couples do just that last night!

I am so. Goddamned. Tired.

E: then I got into a fight on Valencia with some tech bro douchebag and then had to help my friend clean up at her bar when some fat broad tried to piss in the sink in the ladies room and BROKE IT IN PIECES OFF THE WALL at 1:47am.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Once I realized you were talking about San Francisco everything you said made sense.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Don't go to work sick. I don't want some poor old lady to die from your your loving Typhoid Mary rear end because you won't call in sick.

Give me a break, I'm not that dumb. When I say "sick" I mean "I feel uncomfortable and tired due to a head cold, rationally it would be better for me to get rest," not "I'm running a high fever and making GBS threads out my mouth."

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Typhoid Mary was asymptomatic :eng101:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

nuru posted:

Once I realized you were talking about San Francisco everything you said made sense.

I know, right?! Shits hosed.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Crazy Larry posted:

Today I had a server tell me that it wasn't her job to know the menu.

a shameful server.

today was the busiest day of the year for me and I suspect anyone else who works in a long-established breakfast joint.

me and 3 other servers on for the day, all of us there till close, still jam-packed 30 minutes to last call for food, champagne open for mimosas as the last table leaves the restaurant - god bless this stupid industry

e: and I'm starting in IT for the federal govt tomorrow and moving to 1 weekend day shift a week because my boss is awesome and making 250 on a saturday for 4 hours of work will never not rule.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

nuru posted:

Typhoid Mary was asymptomatic :eng101:

fair nuff

honestly her house on that island was way better than mine

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Hello again friends! How do you convince a restaurant to purchase equipment that would make life easier for everyone if the owners are kind of stingy? I ask because there's no way I should be mincing thirty bushels of parsley by knife, and a food processor would keep my hands from being green as grass by the end of the night! I can do the peeling and dicing bags and bags of potatoes and other vegetables by hand and find it extremely relaxing- in fact they are some of the only times the noise in the back of my brain stops! gently caress parsley, though! gently caress every little god damned leaf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Simoom posted:

Hello again friends! How do you convince a restaurant to purchase equipment that would make life easier for everyone if the owners are kind of stingy? I ask because there's no way I should be mincing thirty bushels of parsley by knife, and a food processor would keep my hands from being green as grass by the end of the night! I can do the peeling and dicing bags and bags of potatoes and other vegetables by hand and find it extremely relaxing- in fact they are some of the only times the noise in the back of my brain stops! gently caress parsley, though! gently caress every little god damned leaf!

I'd recommend figuring out what it costs to get one and pitch it in terms of how many labour hours it would save per week, and how long it would take to recoup the cost.

But if they're that stingy you might find that you're sent home earlier.

• Locked thread