Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

FYI 30th Anniversary edition of Fright Night is up for preorder at the brutally slow Screen Archives website. Took over 18 minutes to process my order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquorsicc
Oct 5, 2014

IUG posted:

Good, because I pre-ordered that long ago. I have the DVDs that were released way too dark. Almost anything was going to be an upgrade. Now I just hope they re-release the blurays (even quietly) just to fix the audio issues. Since I'm a drat heathen apparently because I like to listen to the show in English.
What are the audio issues?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ultraviolence123 posted:

FYI 30th Anniversary edition of Fright Night is up for preorder at the brutally slow Screen Archives website. Took over 18 minutes to process my order.

I am curious since it a limited release...will it be released later in stores or the X copies the only way to get this movie?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

liquorsicc posted:

What are the audio issues?

The English audio is 2.0 only. Only the Japanese audio is 5.1.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Rirse posted:

I am curious since it a limited release...will it be released later in stores or the X copies the only way to get this movie?

No, it's limited to 5000 copies and they only have about 1000 left, if even. I've never seen a Twilight Time Blu-ray in stores, only online at Screen Archives or the TCM website. I bought the first release years ago, it's a nice looking print and worth the premium price. All the horror titles TT release sell out crazy fast, like Fright Night, The Blob, Christine, so if you don't want to pay $120 for this a month from now, I'd place your order asap.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series dropped down to $34.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TY56KVG6OLRPWEI

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
Anyone know if Rectify will be getting a UK Blu-ray release anytime soon? I really need to see this show.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth crossposting this from Coupons.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Did anyone here order the Fright Night blu-ray from Screen Archives? I did and have yet to get any word about it shipping and on the website it just says "pending" as the order status.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Did anyone here order the Fright Night blu-ray from Screen Archives? I did and have yet to get any word about it shipping and on the website it just says "pending" as the order status.

Same thing with me. I'm sure they will ship out this week.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I received a shipping notice yesterday. If it matters, when I ordered The Blob, I received no notice, the website said pending, and the disc randomly showed up in my mailbox a few days after the official release date.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ultraviolence123 posted:

I received a shipping notice yesterday. If it matters, when I ordered The Blob, I received no notice, the website said pending, and the disc randomly showed up in my mailbox a few days after the official release date.

Okay, works for me. Thanks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

4k remastered GoodFellas supervised by Marty coming May 4.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yesssss, the old blu-ray was so flat.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Just a heads up. Fright Night blu-rays are shipping.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yesssss, the old blu-ray was so flat.

It's not bad, but really obvious it was meant for SD down sampling.

Also, Kino lost the rights to the few Universal titles they had on license like The Man Who Laughs and Applause.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

It's not bad, but really obvious it was meant for SD down sampling.

It's like a lot of early blu-rays, passable but dead.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Dredd 3D dropped down to $5.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DY54JCH6BAU4USK

Egbert Souse posted:

I hope that means the rumored 4k remaster of 2001 and A Clockwork Orange are coming soon. Actually all of Warner's Kubrick movies could do with a 4k transfer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Dredd 3D dropped down to $5.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DY54JCH6BAU4USK

I hope that means the rumored 4k remaster of 2001 and A Clockwork Orange are coming soon. Actually all of Warner's Kubrick movies could do with a 4k transfer.

Lolita and Barry Lyndon have 4K's used for Blu already and those two are supposedly remastered already, but not on video yet. Also, 4K Spartacus this year.

edit: Steve Stanchfield is working on a set of Ub Iwerks cartoons through his Thunderbean label. Looks like 2K and 4K restorations of the ComiColor and Willie Whopper series. Original titles when possible, a lot of them are going to be scanned from camera negatives. Those unfamiliar with these shorts will be in for a treat - they're more surreal than a lot of what the Fleischers were doing at the time!

http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/update-leo-the-lion-and-some-stills-from-the-willie-whopper-transfers/

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 24, 2015

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Call Me Charlie posted:

I hope that means the rumored 4k remaster of 2001 and A Clockwork Orange are coming soon.

2001 is usually considered a reference quality BR, what's wrong with it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Egbert Souse posted:

Good thing that movie is great enough to warrant a double dip.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

2001 is usually considered a reference quality BR, what's wrong with it?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/2001-A-Space-Odyssey-Blu-ray/511/#Screenshots
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lawrence-of-Arabia-Blu-ray/52492/#Screenshots

Nothing is "wrong" with it... it's just that the Blu-Ray is a circa-2005 2K transfer from a 35mm reduction interpositive encoded in 2006. Compare to Lawrence of Arabia, which used an 8K scan of the 65mm camera negative, 4K mastering, and 2012 encoding. Both shot in Super Panavision. Sort of like how the new PlayTime Blu-Ray from Criterion is a significant improvement, even though the original wasn't exactly terrible.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 25, 2015

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/2001-A-Space-Odyssey-Blu-ray/511/#Screenshots
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lawrence-of-Arabia-Blu-ray/52492/#Screenshots

Nothing is "wrong" with it... it's just that the Blu-Ray is a circa-2005 2K transfer from a 35mm reduction interpositive encoded in 2006. Compare to Lawrence of Arabia, which used an 8K scan of the 65mm camera negative, 4K mastering, and 2012 encoding. Both shot in Super Panavision. Sort of like how the new PlayTime Blu-Ray from Criterion is a significant improvement, even though the original wasn't exactly terrible.

Well alright then. Double dip time for me if they do it. :)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There's definitely a difference between a merely good br and a really sterling effort transfer, and I wish we'd see more of the latter.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Universal is releasing a double feature of the 1934 and 1959 versions of Imitation of Life, as well as Silent Running on April 7. The '59 Imitation of Life is a new 4k restoration.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Egbert Souse posted:

Universal is releasing a double feature of the 1934 and 1959 versions of Imitation of Life, as well as Silent Running on April 7. The '59 Imitation of Life is a new 4k restoration.

I saw these and was fascinated by them (especially the '34 version), so that's rad. Thanks.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Blue Underground is releasing two three packs on March 31st.

Dario Argento. The Cat O' Nine Tails, Deep Red and Inferno for $22.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...57NGDTSWRAYRPLT

Lucio Fulci. City Of The Living Dead, The House By The Cemetery and The New York Ripper for $24.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2FIV3XBV6TWHHN

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Blue Underground is releasing two three packs on March 31st.

Dario Argento. The Cat O' Nine Tails, Deep Red and Inferno for $22.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...57NGDTSWRAYRPLT

Lucio Fulci. City Of The Living Dead, The House By The Cemetery and The New York Ripper for $24.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2FIV3XBV6TWHHN

Jesus, BU has been coasting off of the same 20 or so films for over a decade.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
I finally received my press copy of the Twilight Time release of The Bride Wore Black (which seems to be my only means of acquiring Twilight Time movies these days). Is it just me or is the quality starting to slip a little with more of their releases? I'm noticing the grain on this disc building up a little higher than usual for TT.

The extras are at least getting a little better as this release came with an 80-minute audio CD for an interview with Bernard Herrmann.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner has two classics scheduled for May 19th...

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939, William Dieterle)
Ninotchka (1939, Ernst Lubitsch)

Also, according to an insider on HTF, MGM's licensing rights to the ABC Films catalog have expired and reverted to Disney. The only Blu releases so far have been Notorious, Spellbound, and Rebecca (from the Selznick library).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 7, 2015

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twilight Time May and June releases:

May 12th:

A Man for All Seasons
Mississippi Burning
American Buffalo
Hombre
Carla's Song

June 9th:

Absolute Beginners
State of Grace
Mississippi Mermaid
The Young Lions
The Night of the Generals

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, according to an insider on HTF, MGM's licensing rights to the ABC Films catalog have expired and reverted to Disney. The only Blu releases so far have been Notorious, Spellbound, and Rebecca (from the Selznick library).

Is this a good or bad thing?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

Twilight Time May and June releases:

May 12th:
American Buffalo

This sucks, because this is a movie that I love that I'd absolutely upgrade from DVD to Blu if it were like, $7.99. But $30 is just way too much when the DVD is on sale perpetually for $3.99.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

A bunch of Olive Films releases are on sale over at Amazon - are there any films worth recommending as a blind buy? I'm thinking for a noir fan, films like Cry Vengeance, Private Hell 36, or Crashout.

[Also just noticed some more recent films like Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman].

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

Is this a good or bad thing?

Probably a little of both. MGM released most of the licensed ABC Films/Selznick library to DVD, but most were from old transfers and identical to the also unimpressive Anchor Bay editions. Many non-anamorphic or pan & scan (like Take the Money and Run). Only four released to Blu-Ray: the Selznick Hitchcocks (except for The Paradine Case) and Straw Dogs.

I wouldn't be surprised if they licensed to Criterion, but the last time they had the license... they released the same four films to DVD. Although, I think it had more to do with the license expiring before they could do more. I'd love to see them release Portrait of Jennie, which is an underrated film by William Dieterle starring Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones. As far as I know, MGM never got around to releasing Duel in the Sun. They didn't bother releasing the restored versions of Nothing Sacred or A Star is Born '37, either, despite Disney having complete restorations on the shelf.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Slightly related but Munich is on hbogo right now, probably a rare chance to catch an HD version of it. Until the Blu-ray hits... Someday.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kingtheninja posted:

Slightly related but Munich is on hbogo right now, probably a rare chance to catch an HD version of it. Until the Blu-ray hits... Someday.

May! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TF7KZ54/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Oh my god. I've waited so long! Now tell me abyss and Aladdin are coming out the same day!

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Kingtheninja posted:

It's actually already out as a Best Buy exclusive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/munich-blu-ray/1526386.p?id=3324379&skuId=1526386

Looks like it's currently sold out online, but you can pick it up in stores (and online should surely be refreshed before May?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Why in the heck was Munich not out on bluray?

• Locked thread