Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just hit the final dungeon.

I didn't care much for Rei and Zen all game but then Atlus comes in with their masterstroke and almost made me get dust in my eyes. Plus it's a really good tie-in with both games' messages, so kudos.

The rad music doesn't hurt it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

where the gently caress are the stairs in 4-2?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

where the gently caress are the stairs in 4-2?

It's the room with the FOE scene at the beginning of 4-2.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nvm, it was right at the start, i just sequence broke past the foe and forgot about them

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Just beat the games second boss. In 4 turns. Shame, what little I saw of the Merciful Clergyman made him look like he was really fun, then he ran straight into a Power Charged Kanji. But now I've fused together Red Rider for Aigis and made sure I got both Holy Touch and Swift Strike onto her, and once she gets Death's Scythe on her, she and Naoto are going to have some fun. :unsmigghh:

It's just a shame this game is so easy, I was really expecting it to kick my rear end when I bought it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Merciful Clergyman was definitely the easiest boss for me. He just never did anything threatening, and the worst thing that he could really do was make you Defend for a turn.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm still sad I never got to hear all that many of his lines.
Next time AH WILL VOW TO NOT STRIKE as hard.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Countblanc posted:

Merciful Clergyman was definitely the easiest boss for me. He just never did anything threatening, and the worst thing that he could really do was make you Defend for a turn.

The punishment for breaking vows isn't even that bad. He picks one character on the following turn and inflicts moderate-to-heavy damage and all three binds on them. It'll sometimes get the battle over with faster to just do what you were gonna do anyway and deal with the penalty.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I am 90% certain his counter can trigger repeatedly & goes off the same turn you break a vow. Unless that's tied to difficulty level?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Rangpur posted:

I am 90% certain his counter can trigger repeatedly & goes off the same turn you break a vow. Unless that's tied to difficulty level?
Yeah, one turn I didn't know what his vows were or wasn't paying attention or something and four of my party ate counters.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Rangpur posted:

Oh, huh. I was playing on Risky but I guess I just never actually had more than one character break a vow in a single turn.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

theshim posted:

Yeah, one turn I didn't know what his vows were or wasn't paying attention or something and four of my party ate counters.
I ate a shameful amount of vow counters because I didn't hear any lines except the "vow not to strike" one, and never made the connection between UI colors and coffin colors. :downs:

But I won anyway. The penalty was more annoying than anything.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I finally picked this up off the eShop. Can't wait to start exploring and put a fun party together... and basically obliterate everything with Naoto. :v:

Any general tips?

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 1, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I finally picked this up off the eShop. Can't wait to start exploring and put a fun party together... and basically obliterate everything with Naoto. :v:

Any general tips?

Offensive magic is visibly worse than physicals once you get access to sub-Personas and Fuuka.

It's never stated, but your damage goes down if your level is at least 5 levels above your sub-Persona, then again at 10 levels above. Keep them updated.

Teddie is widely agreed to be the worst character in the game. You can still use him, but don't expect brilliant results.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Any general tips?

quote:

obliterate everything with Naoto.

Other than that: Abuse power spots every chance you get. Poison is good against HP spong enemies, Panic is good against everything, Curse is OK but not good as either of those. Kill each type of FOE once you're up to it, since there's equipment you only get from selling their drops.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ApplesandOranges posted:

Offensive magic is visibly worse than physicals once you get access to sub-Personas and Fuuka.

It's never stated, but your damage goes down if your level is at least 5 levels above your sub-Persona, then again at 10 levels above. Keep them updated.

Teddie is widely agreed to be the worst character in the game. You can still use him, but don't expect brilliant results.

Why is Teddie bad? I am curious, give me those minmaxes

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This game has weird stat growth for everyone.

Kanji has like 3 times the ST growth than ANYONE, nobody comes even close to how much ST Kanji has at 17, P3MC has like 28 mag combined with Yosuke like agility.

Meanwhile P4MC has run of the mill stat growth, not bad, but not great either just sort of there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

I dunno why he's the worst character mechanically, but I can tell you why he's the worst person in the game.

Though if I had to guess I'd have to say that it's because he's a magic focused character that wastes skill slots on revives and healing, plus his ultimate skill (Amrita) is useless. He also probably doesn't have enough magic to make the Mg-St Reverse accessory worth your time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Volt Catfish posted:

Teddie excels in Luck, with good Magic, but poor everything else, especially Agility. He's also an offensive magic user, which doesn't really work with Luck since magic can't score critical hits (which would at least make sense with his high Luck). So he can't pull off the stuff that he would use high Luck for (too slow for status magic, too low Str for physicals). Plus his endurance, while not as bad as say Ken, is still poor, which makes the fact that he's typically going last even worse. And while it doesn't really mean much, his claws are close-range, unlike Yukiko/Yukari/Ken/Naoto.

You can swap his stats around, but then he's still a neutered version of most other characters. You can turn swap Mag and Luck to make him decently fast, but then you already have Naoto, P3MC, and Ken. You could swap Luck and Agility, but then you just have a weaker Yosuke (who at least has a better skillset). Luck and Strength would make him a decent brawler, but then you have a myriad of other physical options (Kanji, Shinjiro, Junpei) who have better tooled movesets and endurance.

Also, his final ability (Amrita) is just pretty bad all things considered, since it's just a full heal + status curer on just one party member. If it at least extended to a row, it would be worth considering.

Slow offensive caster and healer doesn't really work in this game. At least the other casters can eventually do something gimmicky; Teddie just doesn't do anything that impressive.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I think what you're supposed to do with Teddie is to proc crits with physicals, and then use his magic spells for free. Except that magic sucks in this game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Magic is to loving expensive.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's not that it's expensive, it's that it isn't worth the expense. The damaging spells don't even come close to physical skills in terms of damage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd say it's also that HP is so much more easily recoverable with Fuuka and Navi sub-Persona skills, compared to SP.

If they made it so that Boosted state didn't made HP costs 0, then it might be more balanced, but as it is magic is just a far cry from physicals in terms of efficiency.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bought this game on release, but taking it slow. Stuck right now on 4-1, because I am terrible at movement puzzles. The puzzles in general seem a bit...meh, overall. More annoying than anything else.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd say it's also that HP is so much more easily recoverable with Fuuka and Navi sub-Persona skills, compared to SP.

If they made it so that Boosted state didn't made HP costs 0, then it might be more balanced, but as it is magic is just a far cry from physicals in terms of efficiency.

Yea I've noticed this, a card soldier dropped a lvl 18 persona that learned an attack that hits 3 times, on Kanji without Bestial roar its doing like 300 and or 500 with bestial roar and if it crits, no spell can come even close to that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there even anything in the game that does more than resist physical attacks?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is there anything that does more than resist anything?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

is there anything that does more than resist anything?

There are enemies who nullify Light/Dark at least (but not both, besides bosses.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm virtually certain that nothing nulls anything besides light and dark.

This is more of an EO thing than a Persona thing but it makes the battle system that much more busted.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

According to the SMT wiki things do have resists/immunities to status effects so :iiam:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

According to the SMT wiki things do have resists/immunities to status effects so :iiam:

They have resistances to status effects but if anything is immune to Panic I sure as gently caress didn't encounter it, including the superbosses of the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

To be fair you probably just hit whatever was immune to statuses with hama/mudo and moved on.

I did notice how nothing reflected or drained any element, which was weird. I kept expecting to eat my own instant death spell but it never happened.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm still convinced I have a broken copy of the game because I can't hit poo poo with panic. No matter how many characters spam panic moves I can't get things to stick.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Len posted:

I'm still convinced I have a broken copy of the game because I can't hit poo poo with panic. No matter how many characters spam panic moves I can't get things to stick.

Are you using unlucky characters?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

My Sub-Personas are underlevelled, but I'm not noticing a difference in damage. I haven't really been using my sub-Persona's skills, though. Is it only the damage for those that goes down?

How exactly do you obtain skill cards? Do you just learn how as you progress in the story?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kay Kessler posted:

My Sub-Personas are underlevelled, but I'm not noticing a difference in damage. I haven't really been using my sub-Persona's skills, though. Is it only the damage for those that goes down?

How exactly do you obtain skill cards? Do you just learn how as you progress in the story?

Damage goes down but it isn't like super-crippling. You can use an underleveled Persona for a long time if the skills are good enough.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

NinjaDebugger posted:

Yukiko and Naoto with impure reach. Not sure if there's a better option or not.

P3MC has his 1 power panic sword but I think it's only gone off maybe 10 times.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Well, I'm not, and neither I am getting Panic ton consistently stick , even with Impure Reach

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You're not going to get it stick in a single round consistently but its hit rate is high enough it shouldn't take long. You can just be incredibly unlucky but panic's hit rate is absurdly high for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Len posted:

Yukiko and Naoto with impure reach. Not sure if there's a better option or not.

P3MC has his 1 power panic sword but I think it's only gone off maybe 10 times.

Naoto, even with impure reach, is pretty bad at sticking panic. Sometimes I'd go through two full Panic Circles before she managed to stick it. Drop a Magic/Agility swap on her and watch what happens.

The P3MC's panic sword didn't work terribly well for me, I had way more luck with the little dude's agility-bind spear, because Luck is his best stat. Anyway, since magic damage is terrible anyway, swap your magickers magic stats into their Luck and watch.

• Locked thread