Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

hand of luke posted:

These are gorgeous. I love that ape -- and albino ape is my spirit animal.

Yeah, I love these. I really love the injector, manages to be really evocative in a tiny number of pixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Got my best Dungeonmans character yet!

And died at level 7 because there were no Adventurous sites left to explore, so I decided to try and tackle a tower.

It... did not go well.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Poison Mushroom posted:

Got my best Dungeonmans character yet!

And died at level 7 because there were no Adventurous sites left to explore, so I decided to try and tackle a tower.

It... did not go well.

FYI you can go to towns and there are dudes you can talk to who will spawn new sites for you.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Or just talk to the headmaster and regenerate the world because not being able to find any adventurous dungeons at level 7 is hosed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The only "Man in dungeon" roguelike I've ever wrapped my head around (if not beaten) was the Doom Roguelike (note to self, look that up again now that it has pretty pictures). Every time I've looked at Nethack years ago it was just a brick wall of "What the gently caress am I even doing or looking at?" to me at the time, even when trying to install tilesets to make things more visually distinct than a pile of ascii

Been eying the Dungeonmans sale just because hey it's a Goon made one for :10bux:, but of the various suggestions in the OP or otherwise, is there a particular one that is a good fit for baby's first dungeon crawling Roguelike for people terrible at roguelikes but think the concept is cool even if they suck at them.

Odds are I may even own such an example but attention span has kept me from looking too deeply into them. But at least with this genre I'm fully aware that (probably) the entire issue is me being bad at video games. Main reason I'm asking instead of trying again what I already own or can get my hands on at random is, well, I'd have no idea how to judge their qualities compared to eachother beyond the up at start of game comparisons, or other obvious things (Doom has shotguns, ToME has Turbo ebola, Dredmore has Diggles)

PS: Was it intentional to write that ADOM was the only Rougelike to have a "Sense of mystery" about it? :downsrim:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
ToME is simultaneously one of the most accessible roguelikes while also being one of the best-designed in most other respects. It doesn't have the sheer interactivity of something like Nethack or ADOM but in terms of being a challenging and mechanically tight game it's awesome.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

Been eying the Dungeonmans sale just because hey it's a Goon made one for :10bux:, but of the various suggestions in the OP or otherwise, is there a particular one that is a good fit for baby's first dungeon crawling Roguelike for people terrible at roguelikes but think the concept is cool even if they suck at them.

Sproggiwood is specifically designed to ease you into the gameplay and ramp you up to not sucking at legit roguelike play, so you can step into the sprawling dungeon games prepared with the very basic toolkit of moves. (but you should also buy Dungeonmans cause it's awesome! :colbert:)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

The only "Man in dungeon" roguelike I've ever wrapped my head around (if not beaten) was the Doom Roguelike (note to self, look that up again now that it has pretty pictures). Every time I've looked at Nethack years ago it was just a brick wall of "What the gently caress am I even doing or looking at?" to me at the time, even when trying to install tilesets to make things more visually distinct than a pile of ascii

That's DoomRL, not that you'd have any trouble if you googled for "Doom roguelike". NetHack is just about the worst possible introduction to roguelikes you could ask for, being a massive, arcane network of bizarrely-interacting rules that aren't documented at all in-game. I mean, it's not a bad game, far from it, but it's clearly from a different era, where you played and died over and over again and slowly learned how things worked by experimentation.

quote:

Aside from Sproggiwood, Dungeons of Dredmor is specifically designed to be an introductory roguelike. It's not without its flaws (in particular, you'll want to up the animation speed with ctrl-+ (or command-+ on OSX), and ultimately it's kind of shallow), but it's worth a few plays. It's been awhile since I played and patches have sometimes drastically changed the game balance, but in general I'd suggest taking at most one "crafting" skill, and preferably none, since inventory management is a pain in the rear end otherwise.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I really wish the powder guy would get around to a new PC and Android release.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I'm waiting on the adom release. Hoping it has audio and action triggers like crawl.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rapacity posted:

I'm waiting on the adom release. Hoping it has audio and action triggers like crawl.

You won't be waiting long, it sounds like the Steam release is nearing completion.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Get sproggiwood and/or dungeonmans

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

victrix posted:

Get sproggiwood and/or dungeonmans

These are both good intro roguelikes. Sproggiwood is easier and less complicated, Dungeonmans is more traditional. but still probably easier to get into than DoomRL (though it can still get pretty brutal at times, and I haven't gotten that close to beating it yet).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

These are both good intro roguelikes. Sproggiwood is easier and less complicated, Dungeonmans is more traditional. but still probably easier to get into than DoomRL (though it can still get pretty brutal at times, and I haven't gotten that close to beating it yet).
Definitely going to check out Sproggiwood which I've never heard of till now even skimming the OP again, and grab Dungeonmans (Year old gift cards found on the bottom of a desk drawer are nice like that). If something is easier to get into than DoomRL then it must be user friendly as hell... Or would that be more than Hell considering the comparison? I think it's the sheer familiarity of subject + simplicity of DoomRL that let me at least wrap my head around it back then, even if I never got through to the end even on lesser difficulties. Knew what the all the buttons were and what the Ascii meant without a wiki or constantly examining things. "Yay I can tell that's an Arch-vile :downs:.. Wait, gently caress :saddowns:"

ToME and Dredmore I have from past even larger than current sales (yeah I know ToME has a free option). So I'll definitly have options between going "Ohh shiny" and loving off to Shadows of Mordor or "Hey I never beat the old Tie-Fighter game".

Thanks for the insights.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Section Z posted:

Definitely going to check out Sproggiwood which I've never heard of till now even skimming the OP again, and grab Dungeonmans (Year old gift cards found on the bottom of a desk drawer are nice like that). If something is easier to get into than DoomRL then it must be user friendly as hell... Or would that be more than Hell considering the comparison? I think it's the sheer familiarity of subject + simplicity of DoomRL that let me at least wrap my head around it back then, even if I never got through to the end even on lesser difficulties. Knew what the all the buttons were and what the Ascii meant without a wiki or constantly examining things. "Yay I can tell that's an Arch-vile :downs:.. Wait, gently caress :saddowns:"

ToME and Dredmore I have from past even larger than current sales (yeah I know ToME has a free option). So I'll definitly have options between going "Ohh shiny" and loving off to Shadows of Mordor or "Hey I never beat the old Tie-Fighter game".

Thanks for the insights.

I haven't played Sproggiwood, but between ToME, Dredmor, and DoomRL, I'd say DoomRL is the easiest to get into -- it doesn't have a lot of moving parts and the UI is pretty simple and discoverable -- but Dredmor is the easiest to actually win (and the prettiest, although Sproggi is prettier still). ToME offers the most variation, but is also by far the most complicated, in terms of game mechanics and available options and whatnot. All of them are designed to be playable without constant reference to an external wiki and had pretty user-friendly UIs, though (inventory management in Dredmor aside).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
There are some degenerate strategies in dredmor that make the game hard to lose once you stumble on them. It's entertaining enough to last a few plays though.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, since everyone's enjoying the QudDevBlog(TM):

We've now got the population chunked very roughly out into an aspirational ~500 tiles.

Given that we'll end up needing something like 500 tiles (possibly more if we start including a bunch of PC variations), it's far less risky and far more cost-effective to just use Oryx as much as possible, and commission any remaining tiles to match the look and feel of those, rather than producing a style from scratch and commissioning all 500 tiles.

Oryx just put out a big update to his tileset, including a bunch of new sci-fi stuff! So our next step is to match these 500 objects up against the existing set of tiles available in Oryx, and determine the list of gaps. This will be things like Qud-specific creatures (dromads) and items that don't map well to generic sci-fi or fantasy tiles. Hopefully this is a finite subset (say 20%), and we'll then start figuring out what the best approach is to get those gaps filled in a style that matches Oryx.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 1, 2015

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I can't wait to pop some lizards and mutants in graphic fidelity. I'm having trouble remembering but I seem to remember playing a mutant and there being an option in the menus to add mutation points so I could just be ridiculous. Am I remembering wrong?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

and we'll then start figuring out what the best approach is to get those gaps filled in a style that matches Oryx.

You could always ask Oryx how much they want to add specific tiles to the pack you're using.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You could always ask Oryx how much they want to add specific tiles to the pack you're using.

Yeah, we've actually already reached out and got a positive response. Just depends on the scope we end up with for work-needed.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Unormal posted:

Yeah, we've actually already reached out and got a positive response. Just depends on the scope we end up with for work-needed.

I probably missed it some pages ago, but is Qud going to hit steam as a paid game or as a F2P promotional thing for your other projects?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Section Z posted:

Other than what's already been suggested, I would also recommend Desktop Dungeons (you can try out the alpha version using the link in the OP before buying). It's more of a puzzle roguelike than a crawling roguelike, but it eases you in well and the dungeons are relatively short (meaning death doesn't destroy as much time as other roguelikes).

Also, try out IVAN for a fun time! :unsmigghh:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cuntpunch posted:

I probably missed it some pages ago, but is Qud going to hit steam as a paid game or as a F2P promotional thing for your other projects?

Qud with tiles, achivements & cards will be something like $4.99 (Early Access at first). We're internally favorable to supporting a free version outside of steam as well without some of those perks, just have to figure out the logistics/scope of that.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Seems to work for tome.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Incidentally more free roguelikes should have donations work like POWDER, where donating gets you access to debug features and self-running mode.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Unormal posted:

Qud with tiles, achivements & cards will be something like $4.99 (Early Access at first). We're internally favorable to supporting a free version outside of steam as well without some of those perks, just have to figure out the logistics/scope of that.

That seems reasonable enough, I've been playing Qud since you first released it - I even recall you asking me to help test performance on a new version a few years back, so I'm excited to see it being updated again after what seemed like a few quiet years.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is the steam release of Qud going to be 'winnable'? I was under the impression that you could play to the end of the current story and then faff about the wasteland or something similar, but given that I don't have any real time with it, I could be totally off here.

Very much looking forward to trying the tile enabled version though, we need more sci fi roguelikes badly.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Is the steam release of Qud going to be 'winnable'? I was under the impression that you could play to the end of the current story and then faff about the wasteland or something similar, but given that I don't have any real time with it, I could be totally off here.

Very much looking forward to trying the tile enabled version though, we need more sci fi roguelikes badly.

First early release will be as-is, with the storyline not quite complete, but we're planning to finish out at least the main quest-line before exiting Early Access. We took off a couple years to get the company lined up right and build/release Sproggiwood. With the company in place and Sproggiwood out the door, hopefully we can continue to pick up velocity. I'd love to eventually do games independently full time, but it's a tall order. Maybe one of these days, if we stack up enough solid works made part-time and start riding some long tails. (...or land a big hit one day. A boy can dream. :allears:)

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Unormal posted:

First early release will be as-is, with the storyline not quite complete, but we're planning to finish out at least the main quest-line before exiting Early Access. We took off a couple years to get the company lined up right and build/release Sproggiwood. With the company in place and Sproggiwood out the door, hopefully we can continue to pick up velocity. I'd love to eventually do games independently full time, but it's a tall order. Maybe one of these days, if we stack up enough solid works made part-time and start riding some long tails. (...or land a big hit one day. A boy can dream. :allears:)

Every time I see you post in this thread, I jump on Steam to check and see if CoQ has gone up on Early Access. I found the ASCII version to be a little impenetrable on my initial playthrough, but I think I'm going to try to muscle through it so I can learn the basics before it hits Early Access.

Anyways, the point is that both CoQ and Sproggiwood are awesome, and when I get my funds allocated I'm going to go on a buying rampage and pick up those and Dungeonmans because you guys all rule. I love this thread. I hope you all become filthy rich, because with how awesome these games are, you should be.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Necrodancer is a lot of fun and I've beaten Hardcore on Cadence and Bard but the rest of those characters are going to be a real pain even with only three zones. Aria reminds me a lot of The Lost from The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

And apparently there will be a character that combines three of those challenge characters, meaning instant death from one hit, instant death from one missed beat, instant death from picking up any gold with only the starting dagger as your weapon while the entire game runs at double speed. :psyduck:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Just to save some future PR grief/work better spent otherwise, go ahead and plot around a spiffy banner or something for the Steam page as far as visible fanfare for the whole awesome Oryx tileset plans and reckonings. I don't know why, but just about every drat time a project pops up, especially even vaguely commercial, availing itself of their fine work a horde of loud idiots descends screeching about 'Stolen Graphics!1" and "Copied Such and Such~" making a finely needless mess of it. I don't understand how licensing/contracting some nifty visual goods is such a foreign and threatening concept to some people...

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Taking the knife to the new Oryx update.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Finally back from vacation, I can play some CoQ! So, feedback time.
  • In the intro help, item 4: "it's attitude towards you" should be "its"
  • In the intro help, item 6: The "Alt" key is "Option" on OSX, and I dimly recall that it's called "Meta" in Linux?
  • In the attributes help, on Mental Armor: "will have a sever effect on you". I sincerely hope enemy mental attacks can't decapitate me!
  • In the Tonics help: "enhance your mental and physical states in a variety of ways". Technically not wrong, but I'm guessing it should've been "stats".
  • In the Combat help: "has a penetration value ->4, for example)". Missing open-paren.
  • In the Combat help, item 3: suggest making the parenthetical just an ordinary sentence.
  • In the Combat help, missile combat item 2: the coloring for the "header" text doesn't continue onto the second line, so it looks a bit odd.
  • Both Toughness and Willpower are described as modifying your hit point regeneration rate. Intended?
  • Mutations, Electrical Generation: "You acquire electrical change" should be "charge"
  • Mutations, Wings: says "You fly." twice.
  • Mutations, Light Manipulation is similarly redundant.
  • Mutations, Stunning Force: invoking a "concussion" seems a bit odd.
  • Suggest allowing access to the help menu by hitting ? in-game.
  • When examining equipment, typing the letter of a slot brings up the menu for that slot (with drop, look, etc.). When examining inventory, typing a letter first selects that letter; you have to type the letter again to bring up the menu. Seems odd.
  • Suggest using numpad 3/9 as "page down" and "page up" commands in large menus, DF-style.
  • Keymaps menu: the "Rest until healed" and "Rest until morning" commands show as "Oemtilde" and "Ctrl+Oemtilde" respectively.
  • I tried to equip a two-handed sword when I had an axe equipped, and got the message "You need another free Hand to equip that!", but then my axe and merchant's token auto-unequipped and the sword equipped anyway. Seems odd.
  • ...wait, the king is King Haberdash? Is he king because he has a really nice hat? :v:
  • When trading and you look at an item, you press space to dismiss the look dialog, but this then also selects the item for trading.
  • What determines when I attack with my merchant's token vs. with my dagger? :stare:
  • It might be nice to note that Temporal Fugue clones loving explode when they die cripes
  • Swarmer ability: "who is adjacent to its' target". No need for the apostrophe.

I made myself a mutant water dealer with Light Manipulation, Temporal Fugue, Carapace, and Analgesic. Bought a carbide dagger and an artifact (successfully ID'd as an EMP grenade) from the merchant in Joppa, then went to Red Rock, which was swarming with baboons. Killed them off, entered Red Rock, was stomping everything until I got nailed by a poison grenade from a snapjaw brute. Fled up the stairs, which at least pulled the brute away from his pals, but then he beat my face in before I could lase him to death. In retrospect I should've tightened my carapace before firing lasers; oh well.

EDIT: take 2 completed the Red Rock quest (well, I got the corpse, didn't turn it in). Then I died from stepping on a Young Ivory, becoming terrified by a Dread Root, and fleeing over another Young Ivory and bleeding out. D'oh. I must say that Analgesic seems like a good defect to take, though, since so far I haven't much missed not knowing exactly how much health I have.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 2, 2015

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Anyone have good music recommendations for Crypt of the Necrodancer custom music?

So far I got La Roux's Sexotheque which is amazing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ernie. posted:

Anyone have good music recommendations for Crypt of the Necrodancer custom music?

Anything by Mystery Skulls, though Money and Ghost are both especially good.

(Also, hi, Ernie!)

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I second PMush's suggestion of Ghost, and anything with a pretty heavy beat goes good with Crypt of the Necrodancer too

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I must say that Analgesic seems like a good defect to take, though, since so far I haven't much missed not knowing exactly how much health I have.

Unless it's been greatly worsened, Amphibious is way better for a Water Merchant since it affects basically nothing and is hilariously easy to satisfy (since you will always have excessive quantities of water).

Time clones don't explode in the pre-Steam version :stare: they'll throw their clone grenades super recklessly, though. Maybe they die because they explode and not vice versa? :v:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Anything by Lazerhawk, but especially the whole album Skull And Shark.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Ernie. posted:

Been using this track from Zircon when I feel like playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzbbDu52uEs

It's the clap-after-every-beat action that feels necrodancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Unless it's been greatly worsened, Amphibious is way better for a Water Merchant since it affects basically nothing and is hilariously easy to satisfy (since you will always have excessive quantities of water).

Time clones don't explode in the pre-Steam version :stare: they'll throw their clone grenades super recklessly, though. Maybe they die because they explode and not vice versa? :v:

Ravenous is pretty much free points. There's food everywhere even if you don't take butchering.