Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder how a student with a pure-support power (e.g. Recovery Girl's power) would even get past the giant robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

I wonder how a student with a pure-support power (e.g. Recovery Girl's power) would even get past the giant robots.

Presumably, in a similar way to Deku.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
She was wrecking robots left and right in the entrance exam wasn't she? I think she just makes them float in the air and then drops them. Even a 5 foot drop would be devastating to a robot that big.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

She was wrecking robots left and right in the entrance exam wasn't she? I think she just makes them float in the air and then drops them. Even a 5 foot drop would be devastating to a robot that big.

You're thinking of Uraraka (our gravity-manipulating female lead). Recovery Girl is the academy's elderly medic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Woops, wrong one. She boosts the body's own abilities to heal, maybe she can do other things too.

If she really is a pure support power then she probably didn't apply for the hero exam like the other departments.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
They probably have a different system for people with alternative, non-superheroic powers. Like this is specifically the superhero academy. Perhaps there is a different academy that trains people like her.

Neeksy posted:

Hawkboy's shadow powers making him a bird person make sense now. Although this feels more spiritual than the sci-fi feeling of most other quirks.

Well, magical powers wouldn't be alien to a superhero setting -- Doctor Strange comes to mind!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Recovery Girl was probably in the Support section. It's what the name implies, after all.

Remind me: It was Heroes, General Studies, Support and what else?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Management.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I really hope if there is an anime adaptation, they play up the humor of this chapter. There's a lot of gags here that could really hit well if presented right.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Girl, with crown of thorns power, makes a cameo.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Neeksy posted:

I really hope if there is an anime adaptation, they play up the humor of this chapter. There's a lot of gags here that could really hit well if presented right.

If there is an adaptation, I just hope a good studio gets the job and not a lovely one like Toei or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neeksy posted:

I really hope if there's an anime adaptation, that it's a full adaptation rather than a 24 episode thing with an anime original end. Seeing as it's on track to become the Next Big Thing, it seems fortunately likely.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I'd accept an anime original end if, and possibly only if, they made it a riff on the first episode. And it ends with Deku saying something about fostering the next great hero, only to get interrupted by something.

Waking up, running out of budget, almost anything.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kyte posted:

By the way, Horikoshi's twitter had a sketch of the detective dude with some extra info. His codename is Trueman and he can "see the truth of any matter".

So pretty much perfect for detective work.

I saw that image floating around along with sketches of a bunch of other characters. IIRC Trueman is his codename and he has a different real name. The other character sketches also have codenames (hero/villain names), too. I don't remember many of them, but Uraraka's is Uravity, grape boy's is Grape Juice, and hands-guy (Shigaraki, was it?) is Vigilante.

EDIT: Here's the code names I found. It's from concept art, so some of the names might change (No. 13 was named No. 6 in his sketch):
Bakugou - Bakushinchi
Uraraka - Uravity
Iida - Ingenium
Navel-laser dude - Can't Stop Twinkle ("Can't" for short)
Minoru - Grape Juice
Shigaraki - Sazanka (vigilante is actually the description, sorry)

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 31, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
who'd want to stop their navellaser from tinkling?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Speaking of naval laser dude, where is he?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Kyte posted:

By the way, Horikoshi's twitter had a sketch of the detective dude with some extra info. His codename is Trueman and he can "see the truth of any matter".

So pretty much perfect for detective work.

This is doing nothing to reduce the earlier suggested villain vibes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Speaking of naval laser dude, where is he?

He has become a background gag. Was last seen flying around at the start of the race.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
'Grape Juice' has to be the weirdest hero name ever.
How about 'StickyFro'?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Stickey Mouse.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

:grapestare:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

'Grape Juice' has to be the weirdest hero name ever.
How about 'StickyFro'?

Grape Juice makes sense because he's got grapes on his head and is thirsty as gently caress

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

dordreff posted:

Grape Juice makes sense because he's got grapes on his head and is thirsty as gently caress

Thirsty for boobs you mean.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

papasyhotcakes posted:

Thirsty for boobs you mean.

That's exactly what he means. He was using the young people slang.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Those rapscallions sure come with creative terms for liking some hoohaas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

papasyhotcakes posted:

Those rapscallions sure come with creative terms for liking some hoohaas.

Deku sure was on fleek this chapter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Real horrorshow, my droogs.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The moment I read this phrase and mouthed it to myself in confusion is the exact moment I realized I ceased to be a young person

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The moment I read this phrase and mouthed it to myself in confusion is the exact moment I realized I ceased to be a young person

Now you know how I felt last week.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

if you have to ask, you're streets behind

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

:agreed:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ice prince zuko is strong but it seems to me like his power falls flat against brick-types real quick

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Given he could freeze Noumu to immobility I don't think he's that bad off.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah unless you have some super regeneration power his ice is basically an instant win if it hits you.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Kyte posted:

Given he could freeze Noumu to immobility I don't think he's that bad off.

It looks kinda evil though. That's tough on marketing.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soylentbits posted:

It looks kinda evil though. That's tough on marketing.

Girls love bad boys. Look at how popular Zuko and Draco Malfoy are in their respective shows' fandoms.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tollymain posted:

ice prince zuko is strong but it seems to me like his power falls flat against brick-types real quick

THANK YOU! I'm really glad I'm not the only person who sees that, its been driving me crazy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
noumu isn't a true "invulnerability" type though, he/it is more of a shock absorber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Losing touch with the slang is actually fairly far down the road to being old. I speak as an expert, having just discovered that a local radio station has retooled itself as a "throwback" format and now plays all the hits from my time in High School and College. Next stop is Tupac on easy listening followed by the retirement home.