Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Odobenidae posted:

Jesus, the Garamantian capital of Swarti has more tax than both Alexandria and Baghdad.
The de-jure duchy map mode is near useless because all of the colours are identical. Italy and North Africa are affected by this primarily.

Don't forget how huge some duchies are. Histria is a good example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

I also noticed that for some reason Rome (Yes, Rome) and Danzig (Pagan, tribal, and poor) are technologically equal, while Frisia is some sort of technological black hole. Where technology goes to die, maybe.

If you can run an observer game for a while, check the tech levels after a few decades-- I bet they'll have barely shifted at all. The mod's defines.lua is still set to
code:
NTechnology = {
	DONT_EXECUTE_TECH_BEFORE = 769,				-- Set this to your earliest starting year
	POINTS_PER_ATTRIBUTE = 0.04,

BASE_NEIGHBOUR_SPREAD_BONUS = 0.03, 		-- bonus for each neighbour with the tech
	NEIGHBOUR_SAME_RELIGON_GROUP_MULT = 2.0, 	-- multiplier to the above bonus if neighbour is of your religious group
	BASE_DEMESNE_SPREAD_BONUS = 0.06, 			-- bonus for each other province in demesne with the tech
	MAX_DEMESNE_BONUS = 0.3, 					-- maximum bonus from demesne
	FOCUS_BONUS = 2.0, 							-- bonus for the tech in each group set as the focus
	TRADEPOST_SPREAD_BONUS = 0.002, 			-- Spread from trade posts
	SPYACTION_SPREAD_BONUS = 0.006,				-- Spread from the target of the study technology spymaster action

IDEAL_YEAR_LEVEL_0 = 700, 					-- the chance to get a progress to this level will increase after this date and decrease before it
	IDEAL_YEAR_LEVEL_8 = 1500,
	IDEAL_YEAR_AHEAD_PENALTY = -0.2,			-- UNUSED
	IDEAL_YEAR_AHEAD_PENALTY_INVEST = 0.6,		-- Percent increase in cost pre level ahead of ideal date

PAGAN_HOME_ATTRITION_REMOVAL_LEVEL = 4.0,
},  
Meaning that until the year 700, researching Level 0 techs will incur a penalty.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

Jesus, the Garamantian capital of Swarti has more tax than both Alexandria and Baghdad.
The de-jure duchy map mode is near useless because all of the colours are identical. Italy and North Africa are affected by this primarily.

How could someone miss the point of duchy colouring so completely and utterly?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BBJoey posted:

How could someone miss the point of duchy colouring so completely and utterly?

To be fair that has more to do with the asinine way province coloring works.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Odobenidae posted:

Suddenly I feel like I know the reason Paradox has been ignoring Africa in CK2.

How the gently caress do the Garamantes have more counties than Iberia. How.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

How the gently caress do the Garamantes have more counties than Iberia. How.

Compound autism.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm angry

angry about romans

Okay, so. Is it worth it for de jure duchies and realms to use Roman provincial names until the WRE itself dies (title names can change via event), or should something like Aquitania Tertia just be called Novempopulania from the get-go?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Okay I tried running an observer game, but it crashed around 533. Now CK2 can't start up whether I've enabled the mod or not. :histdowns:

e: Alright, after verfying the game cache the game starts but now only when the 480 mod is enabled.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 1, 2015

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Ofaloaf posted:

Okay, so. Is it worth it for de jure duchies and realms to use Roman provincial names until the WRE itself dies (title names can change via event), or should something like Aquitania Tertia just be called Novempopulania from the get-go?

I'd say keep it roman to default but put in a bunch of culturally specfic names for any neighboring cultures, dejure shifts are rare, and I think that's one of the major design flaws for When the World Stopped Making Sense.

Brutus Salad fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 1, 2015

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Odobenidae posted:

e: Alright, after verfying the game cache the game starts but now only when the 480 mod is enabled.

you will never escape

I wish paradox modders weren't so lovely at what they do. All I really want is that Ancient Religions mod to be up to date and work with CK2+! Instead all I get are spergs jerking off to berbers or something.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Rollofthedice posted:

you will never escape

I wish paradox modders weren't so lovely at what they do. All I really want is that Ancient Religions mod to be up to date and work with CK2+! Instead all I get are spergs jerking off to berbers or something.

Um, CK2+ re-integrated the Ancient Religions mod like three months ago (though we didn't take any of the changes that new guy made since then after he took over from the original AR modder who went off to grad school.)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Brutus Salad posted:

I'd say keep it roman to default but put in a bunch of culturally specfic names for any neighboring cultures, dejure shifts are rare, and I think that's one of the major design flaws for When the World Stopped Making Sense.
Fair enough! I'll jigger around some with all this, then.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Odobenidae posted:

Okay I tried running an observer game, but it crashed around 533. Now CK2 can't start up whether I've enabled the mod or not. :histdowns:

Now you can play it forever and ever. :getin:

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Um, CK2+ re-integrated the Ancient Religions mod like three months ago (though we didn't take any of the changes that new guy made since then after he took over from the original AR modder who went off to grad school.)

Oh, guess I'm mistaken then. Great!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rollofthedice posted:

you will never escape

Some of us don't jerk off, we're just incompetent.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
in an effort to spend more money i don't have i'm picking up CKII's dlc from the holiday sale. Is there any content that I should pick up in particular besides the 5 expansions mentioned in the first post?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Brutus Salad posted:

No, but he starts with some absurd stats;

Loving that 3rd reich eagle over there on the coat of arms

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Oh my god you're right

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Do the number of troops I have besieging a castle affect how long it takes for the castle to fall? I know I have to have a minimum but does it matter if I have one soldier more than is necessary or a couple thousand more?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Spaseman posted:

Do the number of troops I have besieging a castle affect how long it takes for the castle to fall? I know I have to have a minimum but does it matter if I have one soldier more than is necessary or a couple thousand more?

IIRC CKII is the game where it does help, EU4 is the game where it doesn't. Might have that backwards, though, haven't played either much in a while.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Man playing the Jews is really boring. You're basically playing a crappier version of a catholic heresy.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

DStecks posted:

IIRC CKII is the game where it does help, EU4 is the game where it doesn't. Might have that backwards, though, haven't played either much in a while.

You're right, in CK2 the number of troops sieging relative to the number of troops besieged matters, while in EU4 only the number of artillery units really matters. There's other stuff like the fort level (Higher fort levels are harder to siege) and siege equipment technology (Higher siege tech makes is easier to siege and harder to be besieged). The siege leader trait is very uncommon but is super useful, I would say that it's tied for best military trait with organizer.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Man playing the Jews is really boring. You're basically playing a crappier version of a catholic heresy.

Play ethiopian jews.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Went into the Beta tab, and apparently I'm not running any even though it says [beta] in the thing. That's weird, because I'm definitely not getting the levy-raise bug. The Alarcon Sultanate (successor to the Umayyads after they exploded due to decadence) have no levies up, then they raise them as soon as attack.

Question, if I have an Empire title with multiple king titles under it, will my Empire explode la la gavelkind during succession? Each of my sons is a king, I'm the Emperor, and my eldest son is the heir to the Empire.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Doctor Schnabel posted:

That is amazing.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
You guys have got that backwards. It's not the Romans using a Nazi eagle, it's that the Nazis used a Roman eagle (Aquila). There's a whole lot of reasons they chose that, but Hitler wanted to emulate a great empire of antiquity to make himself seem cooler, basically.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I have a kinsman who is not a close relation to me and is merely "of your dynasty", but he has a red blood drop next to his portrait all the same. He also has a claim on a county owned by another ruler. If I go to war on behalf of my kinsman will he become my vassal once the war ends?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This mod is just making me angry.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

You guys have got that backwards. It's not the Romans using a Nazi eagle, it's that the Nazis used a Roman eagle (Aquila). There's a whole lot of reasons they chose that, but Hitler wanted to emulate a great empire of antiquity to make himself seem cooler, basically.

The Romans used an eagle, but I'm pretty sure they didn't use this eagle.

Like I'm pretty sure they just used that exact wikipedia vector image flipped horizontally. Holy moley.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 1, 2015

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Play ethiopian jews.

That's who I am playing as. Once you manage to get to the muslims, you get stuck against a circlejerk of muslims. The only reason I managed to grab Egypt was because they flipped into a heresy.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The "Romans used eagles too" explanation also loses some weight when it is the Ostrogoths and not the Romans using said eagle anyway :v:.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That's who I am playing as. Once you manage to get to the muslims, you get stuck against a circlejerk of muslims. The only reason I managed to grab Egypt was because they flipped into a heresy.

In the 1066 start Egypt is Shiite so you don't need to worry about the holy war clown car until you are ready for it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I wish defending against raids was as fun as going on them. Constantly raising guys to squash hilariously under-manned raids gets pretty old after the 30th time you do it. I know you can upgrade walls/fortifications to protect more of your province's income, but it'd be nice if there was some kind of "auto-raise army if it outnumbers the raid 4:1" option as well.

Or if the AI was simply better about picking raid targets so that your rich provinces that 90% of Norse leaders have absolutely no hope of actually raiding successfully don't get targeted by a half dozen raids per year.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Schnabel posted:

:staredog:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

In the 1066 start Egypt is Shiite so you don't need to worry about the holy war clown car until you are ready for it.

The clown car is only really bad when it's me declaring war on the Abbasids to take the Israeli duchies. I can handle the usual holy wars by mostly ending them before the other powers can respond. I already took Crete and Cyprus.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The clown car is only really bad when it's me declaring war on the Abbasids to take the Israeli duchies. I can handle the usual holy wars by mostly ending them before the other powers can respond. I already took Crete and Cyprus.

For me, the biggest hurdle was the HRE winning Jerusalem in a holy war.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't say I hate Garmantes Guy for wanting a Roman Empire mod but honestly I don't see how even Imperial Rome's way of doing things is at all represented by CK2. IMHO it's better just being ignored even though Roman history is super loving cool.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Spaseman posted:

I have a kinsman who is not a close relation to me and is merely "of your dynasty", but he has a red blood drop next to his portrait all the same. He also has a claim on a county owned by another ruler. If I go to war on behalf of my kinsman will he become my vassal once the war ends?

Provided his claim is to a title which is of a lower rank than yours, yes

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Which file do I need to mod to basically disable retinues? I though I could increase the retinue points costs to something like 100k per unit so that nobody forms any, but I don't know how. I looked into the retinue_subunits file but it didn't include the costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
So, has it been confirmed that disabling LoR fixes the levy bug? I can totally live without it for now, but I need my CK2 fix.

• Locked thread