Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Are you resuming your reviews soon?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Chill la Chill posted:

I tend not to do those other possible activities in my underpants, if I can help it.

Hearth stone does lack the instant mechanic but I do like how the creature combat is more nuanced. I wouldn't say it's checkers when board state is more difficult than the magic version of hurf durf defenders almost always have the advantage. Look at the current midrange crisis of both standard and draft - HS doesn't have this stalemate problem.

Yeah, that's all true, but losing the instant mechanic is huge in my opinion; it means outside of secrets/traps, youre simply not playing 50% of the game. HS also feels (emphasis on 'feels'; I dont pretend to be an expert on the game) way more reliant on topdecks, way less reliant on resource management/deck construction, etc. It just feels more "toy"; certainly fun, but I've never had boardstates/decision trees in hearthstone like i've had in magic.

Easily the best thing about Hearthstone is the arena thing of being able to draft a deck, then pick it up whenever instead of being tied to 3 rounds in realtime. But it sounds like the inclusion of leagues in MTGO is a step to correct that.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Terrible Horse posted:

But it sounds like the inclusion of leagues in MTGO is a step to correct that.

And by "inclusion of" you mean "return of a feature that worked perfectly TEN YEARS AGO" :argh:

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Wow, this advice seems terrible. Storm is extremely viable in the holiday cube and Time Vault is the best archetype. GW is among the worst. I don't know how you've come to these conclusions but they're drastically out of line with everything I've ever seen.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Overall I thought this article was very interesting, but I feel like the cat is out of the bag w/r/t artifact removal and that really hurts artifacts, especially sword, which either require relatively large amounts of mana or the passage of a full turn before use.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

aunt jemima posted:

And by "inclusion of" you mean "return of a feature that worked perfectly TEN YEARS AGO" :argh:
Four years, and no not really because they're not leagues, they're just sealed deck with async match making.

Leagues are never coming back.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

aunt jemima posted:

That's what they get for hiring Steve Jobs, Bob Hope, and Johnny Cash as programmers.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
From what little I've seen of Hearthstone it does have a chunky, arcade-y feel to it that I'm glad MTGO, Hex etc. don't have. I have a hunch I would have liked a faithful port of the paper WoWTCG a lot better, although I'm sure that wouldn't have meshed with Blizzard's vision for their tcg killer app.

No argument from me that Wizards could learn a shitload from Blizzard in coding the client, though, which is funny when you consider how many bugs and notorious downtime events WoW has had over the years.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The only thing I disagree with is your assessment of mono black. I've only drafted it a few times this cube, but it is the only archetype that I am 3-0 across the board. I think this week I have more wins on Massacre Wurm triggers than anything else.

The key, though, is Recurring Nightmare. It just makes things like Geralf's Messenger bonkers, and protects things like Phyrexian Obliterator from removal. Otherwise, it's still really strong, you just have to get the right balance of creatures to kill spells and you MUST have a source of extra card draw....ideally Dark Confidant, but I'll play Necropotence if I'm absolutely NOT splashing anything else.

I also think the deck is stronger with a splash of white to ensure enough removal and hand disruption (looping Sin Collector with Recurring Nightmare is way too fun against control).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spiderdrake posted:

Because there are no other comparable experiences one can have in their underpants, according to the thread, anyway.

Why does everyone sit around in their underpants when you can sit around in fuzzy pants and a nice cozy blanket and drink hot coco and draft cube?
Am I the only one having this problem???

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Mythic Spoiler translation posted:

3R
Creature - Orc Shaman
Haste

Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

Ferocious - 2[G/U][G/U]: Draw a card for each creature with power 4 or greater you control.
cool

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Flipping that up after blockers are declared seems fun.

edit: Can Temur tokens be a thing?

odiv fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 1, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I guess ferocious is moving from checking that you have a big creature to counting how many you have now.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I guess that's the Temur member of the Soulfire bear cycle.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

qbert posted:

I remember Chapin saying in one of the Open streams that there were 3 non Power 9 cards that actually had a better win percentage than any of the Power 9 in MODO cubes. One was Skullclamp, I think another was Library of Alexandria, and I can't recall the third. Maybe Sol Ring?

Was it jitte? i would take jitte over any power.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Elyv posted:

I guess that's the Temur member of the Soulfire bear cycle.

I'm surprised because Temur already had an entry in the 'mono-colored creature with hybrid activation cost of the two other colors in the wedge' race... I guess it's not just one per clan then?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

I'm surprised because Temur already had an entry in the 'mono-colored creature with hybrid activation cost of the two other colors in the wedge' race... I guess it's not just one per clan then?
I'm on my phone, but wasn't the other Temur one their khan?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

JerryLee posted:

Yasova is a rare, this is a mythic. Looks like there are two cycles.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Procrastinator posted:

Yasova is a rare, this is a mythic. Looks like there are two cycles.

Okay, guess I misremembered her rarity (I thought 'legendary khan = mythic'). Two cycles of the same theme will be interesting, assuming there's an actual khan cycle as well and not just her.

Also, to get pedantic on myself, she's templated slightly different (triggered ability) so it will, again, be interesting to see if there's a cycle that follows that.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 1, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Happy New Year celebrate by forcing mono red in cube to symbolize fireworks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Whenever you resolve a spell, tell people it's your New Year's resolution. :downsrim:

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Happy new year thread, here's an SCG spoiler

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Apparently the official term for when you and your opponent disagree about life totals is "failure to agree on reality".

Skillface posted:

Oh jesus, the tokens have prowess? That's going to get nasty real fast.

vOv fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 1, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Skillface posted:

That has Jeskai tokens written all over it.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Skillface posted:

drat. that seems like a really good card for jeskai tokens. A slightly more expensive young pyromancer with a huge upside. I wonder if it will be played in any eternal formats.

Obscil fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 1, 2015

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Skillface posted:

This is insane. It's the white Rabblemaster.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
"So Theros was boring? Get ready for ALL OF THIS."
-Wizards

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Theros would've been better if it actually was the Enchantments Matter block

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Obscil posted:

drat. that seems like a really good card for jeskai tokens. A slightly more expensive young pyromancer with a huge upside. I wonder if it will be played in any eternal formats.

Yes it will, because Young Pyromancer is so good, and this thing is worse but still good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chamale posted:

Yes it will, because Young Pyromancer is so good, and this thing is worse but still good.

Your trade off for 1 more mana is working with more ways to trigger it as well as making overall stronger tokens.

But then again, it is one more mana..

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

At first I was like "nice, but not mythic."
Then I saw the tokens had prowess.

This thing is absurd. That's two super duper standard playable white mythics so far.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Skillface posted:

<- :)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Skillface posted:

Holy poo poo its real. That has been floating around mtgs for over a week I think and everyone thought it was fake.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Your trade off for 1 more mana is working with more ways to trigger it as well as making overall stronger tokens.

But then again, it is one more mana..

Also white is a worse color for this type of thing than red. Card is still really powerful, though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Also white is a worse color for this type of thing than red. Card is still really powerful, though.

Let's look at it this way; in Jeskai Tokens you now gave eight rabblemasters.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

Theros would've been better if it actually was the Enchantments Matter block
Or if it wasn't this weird "supporting parasitic mechanics spectrum, the block" where it goes from one mechanic into the other and doesn't really do either all that well.

edit: this sounds like a mental hospital block

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Let's look at it this way; in Jeskai Tokens you now gave eight rabblemasters.

Oh, I thought we were talking about Legacy playability.

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person

homerlaw posted:

"So Theros was boring? Get ready for ALL OF THIS."
-Wizards

I forgive Wizard already for the shittiness that was BNG.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Strange M.D.
Oct 30, 2012
Has anyone posted this guy yet?

Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest
2U
Legendary Creature - Human Monk
Prowess (Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)

Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, you may pay [R/W][R/W]. If you do, target creature gains double strike until end of turn.

Edit: beaten

Dr. Strange M.D. fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 1, 2015

• Locked thread