Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Man, Jeskai was already awesome conceptually, but now they're straight up kicking rear end.

edit: From the last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
That card seems good but it's pretty important that it doesn't generate red tokens for stoke. At least it looks playable, where's the good Temur poo poo at Wizards?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Wow that is some boring art... Dude could at least be posing or something.

Monk guy in kinda good shape does not seem like a 3 mana 3/2 to me, let alone a 4/3 with double strike.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

What was the last playable card involving double strike? Mirran Crusader? They seem so afraid of pushing it.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Gensuki posted:

Wow that is some boring art... Dude could at least be posing or something.

Monk guy in kinda good shape does not seem like a 3 mana 3/2 to me, let alone a 4/3 with double strike.

Why would he be posing. He's silent. Then bam! Tempest!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Also, he's clearly got muscle on him, he's just draw far more realistically than your usual fantasy art. I can totally see this guy busting out and punching a hole through a wall via the double tempest blow.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mr. mephistopheles posted:

What was the last playable card involving double strike? Mirran Crusader? They seem so afraid of pushing it.

Prophetic Flamespeaker?

Edit: Boros Charm?

Elyv fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 1, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Gensuki posted:

Yeah, the art should totally show a wizened old guy sweeping the floor.

On a more serious note, just as I was talking about it, this more or less confirms that the khans will actually form a second cycle. That's pretty cool.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Skillface posted:

Happy new year thread, here's an SCG spoiler

The tokens don't get +1/+1 from the spell that created them. That's kinda awkward.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

The tokens don't get +1/+1 from the spell that created them. That's kinda awkward.

Well, they don't have haste either, so it's kind of moot either way. This guy was not made for blocking often.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Well, they don't have haste either, so it's kind of moot either way. This guy was not made for blocking often.

But blocking 2/2s is kind of relevant in this limited format.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Oooh. That guy can make for a notably more entertaining Jeskai Aggro EDH deck than Ruhan of the Fomori, the only real other option for that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Archenteron posted:

Oooh. That guy can make for a notably more entertaining Jeskai Aggro EDH deck than Ruhan of the Fomori, the only real other option for that.

Does he count as a URW Commander for the sake of the Commander rule given that he has red and white mana in an ability?

Or is that not how commander works.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Silverblade Paladin leads to many a GW blowout in IRR/RTR standard.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Does he count as a URW Commander for the sake of the Commander rule given that he has red and white mana in an ability?

Or is that not how commander works.

That's exactly how commander works.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Static Equilibrium posted:

That's exactly how commander works.

That's absolutely wonderful :swoon:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh yeah, it's a not horribly gimmicky, one trick horse Jeskai commander that still has a defined identity that isn't land destruction.

Time to start building a deck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GoutPatrol posted:

Silverblade Paladin leads to many a GW blowout in IRR/RTR standard.

Turn 1 mana dork, Turn 2 Silverblade Paladin + Soulbond, turn 3 miracle Revenge of the Hunted + pump spell for the kill. I had that magical Christmas land draw all of twice.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

From what little I've seen of Hearthstone it does have a chunky, arcade-y feel to it that I'm glad MTGO, Hex etc. don't have. I have a hunch I would have liked a faithful port of the paper WoWTCG a lot better, although I'm sure that wouldn't have meshed with Blizzard's vision for their tcg killer app.

No argument from me that Wizards could learn a shitload from Blizzard in coding the client, though, which is funny when you consider how many bugs and notorious downtime events WoW has had over the years.

WoW bugs aren't even comparable to MTGO ones.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

I think they probably were but if your point is that after ten years WoW is solid as a rock while MTGO is still MTGO then I agree 110%

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't remember a time in my WoW experience between Vanilla and Burning Crusade where oddly specific things happening caused the entire instance to crash.

Or certain items being unusable because they force your interface to have palpitations and make you incapable of doing anything.

Or crashing the servers for a week.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, the art should totally show a wizened old guy sweeping the floor.

On a more serious note, just as I was talking about it, this more or less confirms that the khans will actually form a second cycle. That's pretty cool.

More like it should show a wizened old guy doing a calm pose with a bunch of students and apprentices on the floor after getting their butts kicked... (He mopped the floor with them)

I mean, he's holding a scroll of all things. Narset is flying through the air with lightning in the background. The least this guy could be doing is hold up an arm like this isn't actually spare art that was supposed to be on a draw spell. Maybe Shu Yun is actually the tiny dude in the bottom right?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Count Bleck posted:

I don't remember a time in my WoW experience between Vanilla and Burning Crusade where oddly specific things happening caused the entire instance to crash.

Or certain items being unusable because they force your interface to have palpitations and make you incapable of doing anything.

Or crashing the servers for a week.

If you don't remember the game being virtually unplayable for a week then you didn't play at vanilla launch :v: (Actually, upon rereading your post, maybe everything you wrote was sarcastic and you were really agreeing with me.)

I would say that day-to-day, WoW is much better and more stable than MTGO, but I don't know that MTGO's biggest meltdowns are that far worse than WoW's biggest meltdowns. And even in the latter patches, WoW continues to have its examples of "how the gently caress did this make it out of testing"; this is pretty close to the WoW equivalent of Ponder giving you the wrong card. (For brief context, it's a player executing something correctly and getting randomly wrecked anyway because the game didn't properly account for his movement.)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

If you don't remember the game being virtually unplayable for a week then you didn't play at vanilla launch :v: (Actually, upon rereading your post, maybe everything you wrote was sarcastic and you were really agreeing with me.)

I would say that day-to-day, WoW is much better and more stable than MTGO, but I don't know that MTGO's biggest meltdowns are that far worse than WoW's biggest meltdowns. And even in the latter patches, WoW continues to have its examples of "how the gently caress did this make it out of testing"; this is pretty close to the WoW equivalent of Ponder giving you the wrong card. (For brief context, it's a player executing something correctly and getting randomly wrecked anyway because the game didn't properly account for his movement.)

I played a few months after launch, where it was still buggy, but not "The Game is Unplayable" Buggy.

I do recall a 3 day unexpected shutdown which they compensated everyone via extending subs by 3 days. So there's that

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Shu Yun is playable as a one or two of in UW Heroic. He's maybe a little pricey for them, but halving your clock on each Aura/Gods Willing can't be a bad thing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Lancelot posted:

I wonder if Shu Yun is playable as a one or two of in UW Heroic. He's maybe a little pricey for them, but halving your clock on each Aura/Gods Willing can't be a bad thing.

He's not as pricy as you might think, he's only a three drop and most of the enablers for him swinging in and doing a good chunk of damage are one mana. The biggest issue is hitting the mana properly, you need to have U and WW accessible at the least.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
wow, on its own, makes as much as the entirety of wotc

born on a buy you fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 1, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

born on a buy you posted:

wow, on its own, makes as much as the entirety of wotc

Well you mean Magic, since D&D makes literal pocket change.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
wow on it's own makes 1/6th of hasbro every year

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
hasbro's market cap. not their income

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Skillface posted:

Happy new year thread, here's an SCG spoiler

They should have added "it gets +1/+1 until end of turn" onto the end of its ability.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

First Bass posted:

They should have added "it gets +1/+1 until end of turn" onto the end of its ability.

I don't think it needs to allow a token to trade with Polukranos with a lightning strike. That seems too good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

I think they probably were but if your point is that after ten years WoW is solid as a rock while MTGO is still MTGO then I agree 110%

Its not entirely that, but they launched around the same time and things haven't been utterly broken in a 7+ years in WoW. The game just works other than a few hours on patch day.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Count Bleck posted:

I don't think it needs to allow a token to trade with Polukranos with a lightning strike. That seems too good.

You can trade the token with Polukranos though, assuming it's not monstrous. Attacking Polukranos, Strike it for 3 damage, get a 2/2 token, block for the last 2 damage.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

You can trade the token with Polukranos though, assuming it's not monstrous. Attacking Polukranos, Strike it for 3 damage, get a 2/2 token, block for the last 2 damage.
The token is 1/1 because it isn't around to see the Lightning Strike get cast, meaning its Prowess does not trigger.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't like that so many of the sweet playable cards are mythic. And it's weird to have the legendary khans and dragons rare, whilst there's a mythic cycle of clan heroes (which are "obviously"more powerful).

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
How many mythics are in a small set? So far jeskai decks have gotten two playable mythics and the rest of the rares and mythics (other than Ugin) have been kinda meh.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How many mythics are in a small set? So far jeskai decks have gotten two playable mythics and the rest of the rares and mythics (other than Ugin) have been kinda meh.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself by a mile, but doesn't it seem wrong to have more "obviously playable" mythics than rares at this point? (Which is a v debatable claim in itself, ofc)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

I'm probably getting ahead of myself by a mile, but doesn't it seem wrong to have more "obviously playable" mythics than rares at this point? (Which is a v debatable claim in itself, ofc)

Just by pure number of rares compared to mythics you might think so, but on the other hand I would expect something that is labeled mythic to have a higher likelihood of being a playable card. Then sometimes they print useless turd mythics like Ugins Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Just by pure number of rares compared to mythics you might think so, but on the other hand I would expect something that is labeled mythic to have a higher likelihood of being a playable card. Then sometimes they print useless turd mythics like Ugins Nexus.

I thought the original intent with mythics was to accommodate planeswalkers and then have a bunch of wow cards and legendaries, only a fraction of which of which looked constructed playable. Timmy cards mostly.

• Locked thread