Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just in: The Playstation port of Duke 3D Megaton's release date has been moved forward, at least in the US, so it can be one of the free PS+ games this month. It'll be on PS3 and Vita on January 6th.

According to Devolver Digital, between June 9th 2011 (DNF's release) and November 6th 2014, "almost 400,000" copies of Duke 3D have been sold. Granted, a lot of those were from Humble Bundles, but still an impressive number for such an old game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there anything Devolver Digital can't do? :allears:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Get the license to Blood. :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dominic White posted:

drat. Right where it hurts...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Speaking of Duke Nukem games, can somebody remember that Duke Nukem game (can't remember if it was a remake or what) that was being made by a small(er) devloper that looked really promising, but was canned by 3DRealms under some flip-flopping legal rigmarole? Was that a Devolver project too? I can vaguely recall a WIP video that showed some pretty fast-paced action that made DNF look even more embarrassing than it already was.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Speaking of Duke Nukem games, can somebody remember that Duke Nukem game (can't remember if it was a remake or what) that was being made by a small(er) devloper that looked really promising, but was canned by 3DRealms under some flip-flopping legal rigmarole? Was that a Devolver project too? I can vaguely recall a WIP video that showed some pretty fast-paced action that made DNF look even more embarrassing than it already was.

Interceptor's Duke Nukem: Reloaded, I assume. I didn't see a gameplay video though, so I'm not sure.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A decent looking skybox for one thing. drat things just cut straight off.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Dominic White posted:

Dear Night Dive Studios.

Please do to Blood what you did to Strife, you can even call it something like "Plasma.", or "Crimson, Blood Remastered." to avoid issues.

Thanks in advance. - The regulars of The Early FPS Megathread.

:pray:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
if we can't get a blood re-release can we get an early-style FPS about Night Dive and Devolver Digital teaming up to release Blood's source to the public

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Thyrork posted:

Dear Night Dive Studios.

Please do to Blood what you did to Strife, you can even call it something like "Plasma.", or "Crimson, Blood Remastered." to avoid issues.

Thanks in advance. - The regulars of The Early FPS Megathread.

:pray:

Strife's whole deal was that no-one knew who to even ask in order to secure a re-release. The issue with Blood is that it's split between Warner Bros and the rotting corpse of Atari and they don't wanna play ball with anyone.

Segmentation Fault posted:

if we can't get a blood re-release can we get an early-style FPS about Night Dive and Devolver Digital teaming up to release Blood's source to the public

I'm seriously surprised that Interceptor or Night Dive or whoever hasn't pitched (or had pitched to them) a new FPS built with the old tech... y'know, "ROTT 2" on Build, or an "official" Strife expack or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 1, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
oops

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I don't imagine there would be a huge crowd for such thing. Now, if someone was crazy enough to gather some good spritemakers and level designers from community, and make a completely new game based on Build3D/Doom, or rather their improved incarnations...

or even better, but that's completely pie in the sky sort of thing: rebuild the unreleased Fate game, from DogBone Software.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 1, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Strife's whole deal was that no-one knew who to even ask in order to secure a re-release. The issue with Blood is that it's split between Warner Bros and the rotting corpse of Atari and they don't wanna play ball with anyone.

System Shock 2 was split between EA and an insurance company populated entirely with "get hosed lol" email autoresponders and they still pulled that off; given that, Blood doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

System Shock 2 was split between EA and an insurance company populated entirely with "get hosed lol" email autoresponders and they still pulled that off; given that, Blood doesn't seem that far-fetched.

You underestimate the shambling corpse-god that is Atari. Blood is just about the one half-decent property they've got.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Blood is already available for sale. What you guys are hoping for is either a source code release or a remastering, which either would provide no money or is outside of Night Dive's expertise. Strife was remastered a bit but it went from not available to HD, instead of available to HD. There is nowhere near as much financial gain in the latter compared to the former.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
The closest you can get for a Blood remaster is BloodCM which uses eDuke32. It's not finished, but mimics Blood fairly well.
Maybe one day someone will be bored enough to reverse engineer it properly.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How is the new version of strife? I have my original CD but haven't played it in a while. Worth getting?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

catlord posted:

Interceptor's Duke Nukem: Reloaded, I assume. I didn't see a gameplay video though, so I'm not sure.

What's the deal with that anyway? Gearbox or whatever came out and said DD could release it, just that they couldn't make any money off of it or something along those lines?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Shbobdb posted:

How is the new version of strife? I have my original CD but haven't played it in a while. Worth getting?

The new engine looks great so I think it's worth it IMHO. It's still a tough game that is a bit of a slog though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ToxicFrog posted:

EA's claim to the rights expired, which is what made the re-release possible. Atari still owns the publishing rights to Blood and they know it, so when anyone approaches them about a source release or a revival or whatever they ask for an insane amount of money, far more than any small company can justify paying.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's alright, Atari's probably gonna be dead by the end of this year. The 4 employees might decide to shred the blood disks though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Okay, so something I don't think I get: With a lot of custom Doom/II levels, the author will say something about how their level replaces some vanilla level or episode. Often times, they will also recommend that their level replace a different Doom level. For example, "This level replaces Doom II's Map 01, but would probably be better for Map 20."

Do people actually heed this advice? Are there people out there who are playing through Doom, except with an episode replaced...or Doom II's WAD, only with a few levels replaced with custom maps? I've never really understood that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Okay, so something I don't think I get: With a lot of custom Doom/II levels, the author will say something about how their level replaces some vanilla level or episode. Often times, they will also recommend that their level replace a different Doom level. For example, "This level replaces Doom II's Map 01, but would probably be better for Map 20."

Do people actually heed this advice? Are there people out there who are playing through Doom, except with an episode replaced...or Doom II's WAD, only with a few levels replaced with custom maps? I've never really understood that.

Well, with many older ones, people were doing that because getting the right music to play was a real hassle, so you'd just set it to be for map 20 if you wanted map 20's music.

Also, a lot of them are intended that you might want to use them in conjunction with other custom levels made by the same author or completely unrelated authors - some even being intended to replace a specific level in a megawad.

Also don't forget that you normally can't play straight through all episodes in the original DOOM, so having your levels go into different episodes isn't really a hassle for the player - plus again it makes it easier to get the "intended" music, and especially in DOOM 1 it means you can still have your themed set match up to the places that show on the intermission map, if you so chose.

Edit: And I forgot to mention, in vanilla Doom and Doom II, many special map features might only work on certain levels, like ExM8 or MAP30 or whatever. BOOM and later ports like Zdoom of course changed that, but you absolutely would need to be in proper map slots to use the effects on vanilla software.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 2, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This specific formulation seems to be about the level's difficulty/complexity, saying it's closer to be a replacement for map 20 than for map 01, but it's still is in the map 01 slot, presumably for convenience reasons.

This is different from when you have people saying "this replaces map E2M3" where the level slot isn't convenient (only MAP01 and ExM1 are convenient; okay MAP02 is convenient for Strife but that's all) so presumably the reason for the slot is the sky and music combination; sometimes map slot special effects. None of which are on MAP01.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Vanilla had skies determined by map number, too. You don't want a flaming city skybox on your Mars level.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I was just thinking of the skyboxes for the PS1 version of Doom recently. They looked incredibly cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viFA-msjd1Y&t=93s

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Interesting, I wasn't aware of the music and skybox aspects of the whole thing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I was just thinking of the skyboxes for the PS1 version of Doom recently. They looked incredibly cool.

The Threshold of Pain series of mods (ToP2 just got a big release) is heavily inspired by PSX Doom, and has some pretty cool skyboxes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Interesting, I wasn't aware of the music and skybox aspects of the whole thing.

Well like I said, with modern source ports and especially ZDoom, you can have arbitrary skyboxes and music very easily. So if you mostly play newer WADs, you'll rarely encounter it being used that way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's awesome.

Knee-Deep has a great skybox, I remember being blown away by it at the time. Looks extremely realistic (because it is) and otherworldly.

The rest are kinda meh.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well like I said, with modern source ports and especially ZDoom, you can have arbitrary skyboxes and music very easily. So if you mostly play newer WADs, you'll rarely encounter it being used that way.

Oh, no, I realize that--I've made a few maps myself with Doom Builder 2--I just didn't know that those sorts of things were real inconveniences at some point in the past.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jesus, RtCW doesn't gently caress around during some parts.

How the hell am I supposed to kill those electrified torsos before I get my rear end fried? :psyduck:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Get a bigger gun and exploit the fact that they suck at jumping.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Do you have the Venom? I seem to remember that being fairly effective.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

MOOD on the Commodore 64 (it's Doom backwards, get it?).

I can't find a whole heap about it, except that it was a tech demo made in the late 90s that was never finished. It looks like rear end, but it's on an 8bit sodding computer with 16 colours, what do you expect. It's surprisingly smooth though, and a staggering technical achievement.

It's fascinating what people can get out of these old machines with hindsight. This technically would have been possible in 1982, but the techniques hadn't been invented yet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks more like Wolf3D, which actually had an Apple II port, though admittedly limited to the later models with more memory.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Jesus, RtCW doesn't gently caress around during some parts.

How the hell am I supposed to kill those electrified torsos before I get my rear end fried? :psyduck:

I always remember the first catacomb level, with the loving skeletons being a nightmare compared to the fast and easy nazi killing of the first couple of levels. Once I learned how to play the game properly, I saved explosives for skeletons or shot their feet if they had shields.

Someone already posted time ago that there's an unofficial 1.42 patch that adds widescreen resolutions and other fixes:

http://www.markshan.com/knightmare/downloads.htm
http://www.markshan.com/knightmare/downloads/rtcw-sp-1.42c-win32-bin.zip

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Speaking of things I haven't done in decades, is the aliens mod still available for doom 2 and is it still as badass as I remember?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

catlord posted:

Do you have the Venom? I seem to remember that being fairly effective.
'effective' is a fairly tame word for 'pours hot lead into your enemies until they explode into tiny red pieces' :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
In RTCW, the rule is: When in doubt, Venom or Panzerfaust something.