Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Also good with 8:

Mascarade
Mayday Mayday
Ugg Tect

ambushsabre posted:

Is two player Lords of Waterdeep any good? I'm going to have the opportunity to play later tonight. What about 3?

It's rubbish with any player count. hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Oh sorry for being sassy I figured that was common knowledge. Yeah in the manual for Intrigue (and possibly the Core Set replacement expansion) it literally says "now you can play 5-8 players, or play two games at once!" or something like that. It's hilarious.
The best game for eight players is obviously four copies of Twilight Struggle.

I think the Dominion max is 6 players in a single game; 8 would be two 4-player games.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
Coup with 10 players takes about twice as much time as Coup with 6, which still isn't much time at all.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Schizoguy posted:

Coup with 10 players takes about twice as much time as Coup with 6, which still isn't much time at all.

It has to be much less strategic with that number though. With 5 of every card in the game, the amount of information players have is never going to be significant.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just had the most frustrating attempt with trying to play Deus online. Guess we'll just have to wait for the real game, because neither of us could understand what was going on. Is it buggy at all?? I'm still stressed out over it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

Just had the most frustrating attempt with trying to play Deus online. Guess we'll just have to wait for the real game, because neither of us could understand what was going on. Is it buggy at all?? I'm still stressed out over it.

You were playing on BAJ? It works fine there. Find me and I'll walk you through it (same user name).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

You were playing on BAJ? It works fine there. Find me and I'll walk you through it (same user name).

OK I will do that in the next few days, thanks. But we did run into a bug. I was supposed to be able to take resources, but it wouldn't let me take wood for some reason.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

OK I will do that in the next few days, thanks. But we did run into a bug. I was supposed to be able to take resources, but it wouldn't let me take wood for some reason.

There's a cap on the number of resources in the game. You can see the General Supply just below the icon panel in the top left.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

There's a cap on the number of resources in the game. You can see the General Supply just below the icon panel in the top left.

It said that there were 10 wood left. Shrug, I'll try it again when I have some time and can find you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The End posted:

It has to be much less strategic with that number though. With 5 of every card in the game, the amount of information players have is never going to be significant.

Basically you get a whole bunch of political avoid-drawing-attention-to-yourself bullshit until about half the players are eliminated, and then the survivors get to actually play the game. You're right in that it's not particularly good.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Here's the response someone posted on the kickstarter from Travis / IB&C regarding the Resistance fiasco

quote:

I am sorry about the slight color differences that some copies of the alternative mission cards appear to have and for the other challenges that this project has had. I had hoped that including additional cards in the Kickstarter Edition at were printed at the same time would solve this problem, and was quite dismayed when this issue was reported.

Over the past weeks I have been working with the printer to find a viable solution for this issue, both in the short and long term as I would like to continue to offer expansions for the secret identity games that I publish at a reasonable cost. Unfortunately there isn’t a practical way to ensure exact color and/or texture match across all the print runs, nor is there a reasonable way to provide for returns for slight variations that are within manufacturing tolerances. I do wish that there was a way to ensure that this could be avoided, short of not making expansions available. At an individual level, my suggested solution is to use card sleeves with opaque backs to hide these slight differences. Sleeves are available at most hobby game stores for a reasonable price, and will ensure that the secret elements of the game stay secret for those that cannot help noticing the slight differences. Additionally using sleeves helps prevent damage from players and general wear, ensuring that your game can be enjoyed for many years to come.

I understand that this is not a perfect solution, and that it may not meet your needs. I apologize that I am unable to provide a better solution for you. As a Kickstarter backer I would be happy to provide
you a refund.

If you would like to receive a refund, please:
1) Send me an email to Kickstarter@indieboardsandcards.com, include your Kickstarter email address, your Kickstarter username, and your paypal address to which I will send the refund.
2) Return your copy of Hostile Intent & Hidden Agenda Kickstarter Edition (in entirety and in usable form so I can use for demo purposes) to: REDACTED
Sorry again for the issues that have been part of this Kickstarter project.
Travis
Indie Boards and Cards

I don't know what lowest bidder printer he went with, but I hate to imagine what cards would look like if they were out of manufacturing tolerances.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

quote:

Unfortunately there isn’t a practical way to ensure exact color and/or texture match across all the print runs, nor is there a reasonable way to provide for returns for slight variations that are within manufacturing tolerances.

So uh, those Magic backs sure did change over the last 20 years haven't they? Also, where did this communication come from, because I sure don't see it on a Kickstarter update...

It's a shame that the Resistance is such a good game, because god do I not want to support this idiot.

Edit: Like I really don't even understand how this could have happened. How did he look at cards that should have been red and turned out green and went "that's fine!" It's not like a subtle difference or anything.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

GrandpaPants posted:

So uh, those Magic backs sure did change over the last 20 years haven't they? Also, where did this communication come from, because I sure don't see it on a Kickstarter update...

It's a shame that the Resistance is such a good game, because god do I not want to support this idiot.

Edit: Like I really don't even understand how this could have happened. How did he look at cards that should have been red and turned out green and went "that's fine!" It's not like a subtle difference or anything.

WotC can spend a lot more time and money ensuring consistency of card backs between print runs than anyone else would consider practical. And then everyone stuffs the cards in opaque sleeves anyway.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Gabriel Pope posted:

2) We completely missed the rule where you discard 2 cards from your opening hand. Why does this rule even exist?

Basically, since some of the rooms are Advanced rooms and could be useless and some spells are totally useless, this is to give you some option of what to start with instead of just being screwed.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I will say as well that the spell deck is definitely a weak point. I did not mind the randomness of the room cards: you get lots of room draws, there's a decent amount of flexibility in how to build a dungeon, and the bait system means that even lovely room cards have plenty of opportunities to be relevant. On the other hand, in most games you only ever get to draw a couple of spell cards and there's no guarantee that they will ever be relevant. I don't feel like any of the games we played were unfairly decided by spell cards, but some of them may potentially have been decided by a lack of good spell cards.

You found the big problem of the game. But rather than repeat myself, here are many :words: I wrote in the old thread:

Me from the old thread posted:

I know the thread pretty well hammered this, but I figured I'd share my anecdotes/feelings from this game as well. We played it probably about 6-9 times trying desperately to like it before just giving up on it.

There are many types of cards in the game, but a player only has two resources: rooms and spells. As you may have surmised, rooms are built in front of your boss and do damage to heroes that walk through them, while spells are one-time single effects. Rooms generally have static abilities or ones that trigger each turn or when they are built, but if they have an ability activated by choice, it normally involves discarding it from play. In the build phase you can only build more than one room, unless you have a spell that says otherwise. In the bait phase, there are spells which can mess with which hero goes where, overriding the treasure symbols on the rooms which normally attract heroes. Many of the spells are useless, but some of them are quite powerful.

These facts are important when you consider the way you get these resources. You start with 5 rooms & 2 spells, then discard 2 of your choice. On your turn, you draw a room card, but you can only draw new spells when cards say so. There are some room cards that allow you to draw spell cards instead of rooms or discard room cards for spells. So you get lots of a resource that does not involve much permanent choice or interaction and little of a resource that can.

So, the result of this is that the game is almost totally non-interactive. You will generally have one single strategic choice of building a room entirely in a vacuum, hoping to prevent powerful heroes from coming your way and attracting weak ones, but with 4 resources, sometimes you and another are in the same one and nothing happens. What's worse is that occasionally someone will get the rooms that allow them to draw more spells that will allow them to have some control of the game, choosing weak heroes for themselves or sabotaging the dungeon of an opponent. Normally that's not a bad thing, but everyone needs to at least have been theoretically able to do it, not just the guy who drew the haunted library. Now, I'm not saying that this person will always win, but jeez, this game does not give its players enough to do to withstand the thunderous boredom.

This game is the reason I have started making the joke "It's almost like someone designed this game!" whenever I come across something well thought out or interesting in the design of a game. This game is the epitome of a Kickstarter game: it got popular on something other than its merits, and is lesser for it.

So, yeah, this game blows.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

WotC can spend a lot more time and money ensuring consistency of card backs between print runs than anyone else would consider practical. And then everyone stuffs the cards in opaque sleeves anyway.

It's actually kind of funny, because WotC's quality control for any game that isn't Magic is amazingly piss-poor. Cards all different sizes and colors.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well Magic is basically their breadwinner so it makes sense they'd lavish attention on it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

quote:

Unfortunately there isn’t a practical way to ensure exact color and/or texture match across all the print runs, nor is there a reasonable way to provide for returns for slight variations that are within manufacturing tolerances.
I used to work for an annual arts magazine and leading up to publication this became my job, only with hundreds of unique images, each of which had to be individually proofed against the artist/gallery/museum's original submission. It's perfectly doable if you have any clue what you're doing and have any sort of working relationship with your printer.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

Basically, since some of the rooms are Advanced rooms and could be useless and some spells are totally useless, this is to give you some option of what to start with instead of just being screwed.

Right, but... why not just keep the cards? The added flexibility seems to go a long way towards smoothing over the game's faults.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Re: resistance
I work with similar (if not identical) printing processes sometimes
If it were actually a tolerance issue it wouldn't be as consistent nor bad of a problem as it is - its definitely a master image color balance issue

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Played Legendary Encounters and got Facehugger'd on turn 3. The guy who brought the game felt bad that I had died early into the game, so he let me play as the Alien. Now I'm pretty sure we would've lost without me being a huge rear end in a top hat, but wow is that alien player deck unfair.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Brought wits and wagers to my girlfriend's friends' new year party in hope of playing something decent with 12 people, but instead we played CAH with 11 "hilarious" answers each time. Sigh.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Something tells me IB&C won't pay for return shipping...

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Gabriel Pope posted:

Right, but... why not just keep the cards? The added flexibility seems to go a long way towards smoothing over the game's faults.

V:shobon:V Normally, I'd say it's because the game is balanced to have only 5 cards in hand, but there's no way the designers of this game did that kind of math to understand that. Also, while I can't back this up with fact, I am inclined to believe that since you normally only get one card per turn, there is not a titanic difference between 5 and 7 after the first turn. There is still probably going to be only one sensible play a good percentage of the time.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

ETB posted:

Something tells me IB&C won't pay for return shipping...

Usually when you return an item you can send it to the receiver to pay upon delivery, but it carries a risk if someone clueless receiving the package, like a security guy and they might refuse paying for shipping and send it back. And even if they receive it, no company pays you back the shipping cost you initially paid to receive the item, but only the cost of the item itself. Still it beats getting stuck with a purchase you no longer care to have though.

On another subject, I'm looking at the Imperial Assault I just received yesterday and owners of Descent 2.0 can also reply this question I guess. Is it worth inviting one more person to make the rebel side 4 players when our regular group is 4 including me? As I read, it seems the Imperial player can adjust to the number of rebel players, by removing some of his units from the game during setup. Doesn't this make the game less of what it could be? BGG has it listed as "best with 5 players" So should I try to achieve a 5 player stable group to play it? Having more players consistently showing up to play one specific continuing campaign game is harder with more people. Is the difference worth it?

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
A Look at 2014: Top Selling Board Games

Tom Vassel listed the top selling 20 games Coolstuff Inc announced for 2014.
(excluding the X-wing stuff, just assume they are over the top)

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

echoMateria posted:

Usually when you return an item you can send it to the receiver to pay upon delivery, but it carries a risk if someone clueless receiving the package, like a security guy and they might refuse paying for shipping and send it back. And even if they receive it, no company pays you back the shipping cost you initially paid to receive the item, but only the cost of the item itself. Still it beats getting stuck with a purchase you no longer care to have though.

On another subject, I'm looking at the Imperial Assault I just received yesterday and owners of Descent 2.0 can also reply this question I guess. Is it worth inviting one more person to make the rebel side 4 players when our regular group is 4 including me? As I read, it seems the Imperial player can adjust to the number of rebel players, by removing some of his units from the game during setup. Doesn't this make the game less of what it could be? BGG has it listed as "best with 5 players" So should I try to achieve a 5 player stable group to play it? Having more players consistently showing up to play one specific continuing campaign game is harder with more people. Is the difference worth it?

You can either have one person play 2 characters, or if each rebel player plays one the game comes with cards that alter the stats and activations of the rebel players to balance the game. 4 total should be perfectly fine. I played 1v1 and the game gives the rebel characters extra health and 2 turns each which worked out great.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

538, Designing the best board game on the planet: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/designing-the-best-board-game-on-the-planet/

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

V:shobon:V Normally, I'd say it's because the game is balanced to have only 5 cards in hand, but there's no way the designers of this game did that kind of math to understand that. Also, while I can't back this up with fact, I am inclined to believe that since you normally only get one card per turn, there is not a titanic difference between 5 and 7 after the first turn. There is still probably going to be only one sensible play a good percentage of the time.

I would disagree--presumably most players would discard rooms over the rarer spell cards, and having more room cards in hand really expands your options. I can remember several points where my play would have been crippled if I had 2 fewer cards. Often I would have several cards in hand necessary for my long-term strategy, and if I only had 2-3 room cards in hand I would not have had the freedom to hold onto those cards and still have any room or choice to participate in the turn-by-turn competition to lure heroes--I'd be locked into playing my strong rooms ASAP and leaving the baiting up to luck of the draw. Which seems to be a common complaint of people who remembered the discard 2 rule.

I guess I don't really dispute that the designers did a really slapdash job, between including a rule that deliberately cripples the game and having spell cards vary wildly in power and versatility (although in my experience they generally err on the underpowered side.) I just think the core mechanics are solidly enjoyable and they stumbled pretty close to a good game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Do they measure in units sold or total $?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Toshimo posted:

Do they measure in units sold or total $?

Why would they measure in dollars? That's not a fair comparison. Machi Koro costs like three bucks or something.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

There's no way that those numbers would be for $ so assume quantity.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hey gamer bro and broettes, I've been getting back into board games again and was hoping the thread could convince me to waste my money on some things! I have some questions! I'm working my way through the thread this morning, so apologies if I missed the big discussions on these topics already.

First, our tastes:
Agricola: Too Euro; we don't talk and it's so dry. I'm also suffering from a little euro burnout
Race for the Galaxy: This is a euro, right? I like this, it's really elegant and not fiddly, although a little dry and not something we get too excited about. So easy to setup though
Dungeon Petz: A little more fun than 'Gric. A little fiddly
Space Alert: Really fun but hard to convince people to play; convincing people to play this is like getting a group to go on a hike or something
Dominion: Crowd favorite. Love it although I can only play it so much. Would be interested in other deck builders that are this good, or even lcg type of games that pinched the cube draft mechanic or something
Marvel Legendary, Thunderstone, Ascension etc: Not as good as a Dominion but reasonably pleasant to play anyways. Sort of like that non-Fish and Chips thing on the menu that you get every 10th time to remind you of why you like fish and chips so much.
7 Wonders: Casual players love this, I find it kind of dull but like it when other people have fun so I always bring a copy.
Chaos in the Old World: Absolutely love this, but some players are simply repulsed by the demon theming which is a shame. If there was a reskinned version of this game it would be the bees knees.
Cyclades: Comes close to being that reskinned version! But always feels like it ends right when it's getting good?
Kemet: Ordered due to goon hype!

Other good games that I have: Mage Knight, Twilight Struggle, BSG, Galaxy Trucker, Catan, Dixit, Cosmic Encounter, Resistance, Puerto Rico

1) What's the goon feeling on some of these games that have emerged on either BGG or SUSD during my hibernation? I think I'm currently interested in games that sit in between ameritrash and euro (CitOW, Cyclades), Deck Builders (something to keep us from getting burnt out on Dominion), and card game with a lot of meat on its bones (Race for the Galaxy)

Archipelago
Terra Mystra
(got Kermit)

Path Finder Deck Builder
Trains
Arctic Scavenger
A Few Acres of Snow v2
Star Realms
Legendary Encounters
Temporum

2) Any other suggestions?

2.5). Are there any other notable games that combine the hand of cards and dudes on a map like CitOW (and sorta Twilight Struggle)?

3) Are Netrunner and Doomtown interesting enough to purchase as board games and play with new people without investing in a bunch of cards? I liked cube drafting to play Magic: The Board Game, basically

4) Has an ideal solution to organizing Dominion emerged from the nether? What about universal in box dividers or something, for other games?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If you found Gric too dry (and are burnt out on Euros in general), don't buy Terra Mystica.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

COIN series is kind of an oddball card driven game that's asymmetric 4 player like Chaos, although it's much heavier. It's a good midpoint between Euro (largely deterministic actions, wooden cubes) and American (heavy theme, slaughter of your fellow man) designs. Its card mechanic is very different from TS though. If you're looking for stuff like that's like Twilight Struggle you might wanna ask the wargame thread- preliminary suggestions include 1960: Making of a President and especially 1989: Dawn of Freedom. In terms of deckbuilders Dominion and Mage Knight are the only safe bets, everything else is divisive.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

StashAugustine posted:

In terms of deckbuilders Dominion and Mage Knight are the only safe bets, everything else is divisive.
Puzzle Strike is also very good, though the designer is kind of a jackass. (Divisive in this case becomes "do you personally consider the game good enough to purchase it despite that".)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If you liked the quasi-boardgame aspect of cube magic, Netrunner base box should be hitting the sweet spot for you. The base has enough cards to make a few decks on either side and a lot of customization within themes.

That said, I don't play the game anymore because my friends can't be assed to build a deck out of my cards that they'd wanna play with. I made the problem worse by buying expansions (anyone wanna buy my netrunner?)

We have a Netrunner thread if you'd wanna read up, but if it interests you, I'd recommend the core box.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

echoMateria posted:

I've only played one on one so far, and the game seems balanced for the most part. The heroes get 10 extra health each and get 2 turns per round. The huge downside I've noticed though is that escort missions are ridiculously hard simply because two heroes can't effectively block line of sight to the Imperial player's target, and most enemies are ranged attackers, so any ally you're trying to protect will probably get shot to death in seconds.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

3) Are Netrunner and Doomtown interesting enough to purchase as board games and play with new people without investing in a bunch of cards? I liked cube drafting to play Magic: The Board Game, basically

Depending on what you mean by "play with new people", the bluffing and mind-game aspects of Netrunner might be a bit lost on you. Everyone involved will need to invest a little bit, in time and thought, in order to make the most of it. Otherwise, it's just Cyberpunk Monty Hall.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Archipelago
Terra Mystra
(got Kermit)

Path Finder Deck Builder
Trains
Arctic Scavenger
A Few Acres of Snow v2
Star Realms
Legendary Encounters
Temporum

2) Any other suggestions?

2.5). Are there any other notable games that combine the hand of cards and dudes on a map like CitOW (and sorta Twilight Struggle)?

4) Has an ideal solution to organizing Dominion emerged from the nether? What about universal in box dividers or something, for other games?

Archipelago will feel different enough if you can emphasize that trying to figure out people's goals being the point of the game. Otherwise your group may find it "yet another dry euro"

Terra Mystica << Tekopo nailed it.

Pathfinder Card Game is not a deck builder, don't buy it expecting one. It is D&D (Pathfinder) the card game. It does feature some deck building somewhere, but it is a minor part of the experience.

Trains will go right into your "Marvel Legendary, Thunderstone, Ascension etc" classification.

Arctic Scavengers will look great at first, but you won't play it much after a few games due to the static "kingdom" being always the same and creating static strategies.

A Few Acres of Snow v2 << v2?

Star Realms << you won't like it if you played Dominion so much. But considering it'S price you may just toss it alongside Trains group above.

Legendary Encounters << is a nice co op challenge with a little bit of deck building in. I prefer it to regular Legendary any day.

Temporum << I'm curious about this one as well, but also a little concerned...

2) Any other suggestions? << Assault on Doomrock, Tragedy Looper, Guildhall, Lost Legacy, Suburbia, Tash-Kalar

4) Has an ideal solution to organizing Dominion emerged from the nether? What about universal in box dividers or something, for other games? << I made am mdf insert into the big Carcassonne for my Dominion cards and it turned out to be a mistake. It is just too heavy. Instead get Trading Card Storage Boxes and put them in those one set/per box while printing out dividers from BGG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

echoMateria posted:

Pathfinder Card Game is not a deck builder, don't buy it expecting one. It is D&D (Pathfinder) the card game. It does feature some deck building somewhere, but it is a minor part of the experience.

Though funny enough you can play with the cards face up and it actually becomes a deck builder (and a much better game)