Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have to say I appreciated the subtle character name changes in that last update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Echoing what everyone else has said, and thank you for showing off the madness of this game. I never would have thought the final fight would have been against the Windfish from Link's Awakening, but hey the more you know. You've given yourself quite the Christmas present by knowing you never have to come back to this lovely game ever, ever again! :toot:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah. Funny thing about that... I'm going to be going back and cleaning up a couple of screen shots from the beginning of the first game, basically swapping the Orren prototype character out for LP Orren. And I've also got to keelhaul Blind Sally through the final set of boss fight videos too, all in the hopes that it will one day, maybe, make it to the LP Archive once baldruk decides to start updating it again.

So while the LP is finished, my work on it isn't just yet anyway.

That said, thank you everyone for your support and enjoyment throughout this whole thing. It wouldn't have been half the LP it was without your involvement too.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nine-gear crow posted:

So while the LP is finished, my work on it isn't just yet anyway.

Mind if I put this in Wikipedia as an example of Stockholm Syndrome?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Welp, it's official. Happy birthday WKC thread.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Blind Sally posted:

Welp, it's official. Happy birthday WKC thread.

Oh god this really has been going on a whole year. Crow, I'm so sorry that you had to do this for a year.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Congratulations? :confuoot:

I keep gunning through Dark Cloud 2 and it's impressive how its story elements "inspired" the key points of WKC.
It started for real with the mecha circus attack. The two main characters have special stones, because they were chosen by the stones. So was the villain who orchestrates evil from 10000 years in the past, but his stone is mighty special. Then they meet, the stones come together, and the villain gets a full body transformation with bad hair and shows off his flying palace.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is beautiful.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

I choose to believe that "fuly" is, well, fuly intentional, as it fits Leonard way the gently caress too well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Torokasi posted:

I choose to believe that "fuly" is, well, fuly intentional, as it fits Leonard way the gently caress too well.

It was. :devil:

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Did my computer suddenly come down with a case of stupid? I started reading this LP the other night and everything was fine, but now suddenly I can't load any of the images at all. They do seem to still exist, Chrome just doesn't want to ever load them.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Looks good to me. Try another browser? Try clearing your cookies? Make sure AdBlock isn't blocking images?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Could be a problem with LPix. Is it every image that won't load? Because I've had times where one or two specific images just won't load, but refreshing the page fixes it.

How odd.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, it was every image. Screencaps, character icons, everything. Mysteriously enough, they work now. I guess restarting my computer/Chrome worked. Okay then!

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Well, I can't wait to read this thing in full in the Archives. I was there for part 1 and smacking my head at Leonard's, well, not-smartness, but got distracted when 2 came around.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HR12345 posted:

Well, I can't wait to read this thing in full in the Archives. I was there for part 1 and smacking my head at Leonard's, well, not-smartness, but got distracted when 2 came around.

He seems kind of smarter in part II, but only because he has less screen time. Even then what he does have shows that he wanted to squeeze in all the failure he could.

He's like Charlie Brown, but with all the redeeming traits removed.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

HR12345 posted:

If you mean the Let's Play Archives, I wouldn't wait. There hasn't been anything uploaded there since September.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
baldruk said in the Sandcastle this week that he's going to start updating the LP Archive again in early January. This LP won't be going up for a while though. Hell, I haven't even put the request in for it to be archived yet. I'm still waiting to see if Panzer Dragoon makes it up, as apparently he's got a huge backlog to work through.

I've still got a heck of a to-do list for the LP before I feel confident enough to even put the request in for it:

• Clean up screenshots in game 1, ch 1-9
  • Add in missing odds and ends
  • Upload Wyvern Rex boss commentary
  • Record commentary for missing boss fights
  • (Netherwyrm 1, Dragon Matriarch, Netherwyrm 2, Ancient Warmachine, Yshrenian detachments 1 & 2, Black Knight round 5, Solum & Ventus Wyverns, Efreet, Past Blandor boss rush, Ledom/Dragias, Redhorn Isle Zore Crystals, Brimflamme, Leonard's Big Giant White Knight gently caress Up, Game 2 Final Boss Gauntlet, Post-Game Madoras, and Ideya - for the curious)
  • ????
  • Murder-suicide

Also, I'll be rolling out a new LP in the coming weeks too. And I can assure you, while it is a rather flawed game, on the whole it is a better game than White Knight Chronicles is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

nine-gear crow posted:

And I can assure you, while it is a rather flawed game, on the whole it is a better game than White Knight Chronicles is.

That doesn't really narrow it down at all.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Being waterboarded is a better game than WKC.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ultrafilter posted:

Not Lunar: Dragon Song.

Maybe also not 15 Days, but that one at least is so bad it turns good.

That's about it though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

I've namedropped it once or twice in the thread so far. The people who I intend to have on as guest commentators know what it is, but the rest of you will have to wait in anticipation a little while longer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

I've namedropped it once or twice in the thread so far. The people who I intend to have on as guest commentators know what it is, but the rest of you will have to wait in anticipation a little while longer.

Mouse over if you want to be spoiled: PlayStation Home

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
[10:39:57 PM] Artix: I kinda want to do an SSLP again
[10:39:57 PM] Artix: Something smaller, simpler
[10:40:09 PM] Nine Gearcrow: Don't do a massive JRPG.
[10:40:27 PM] Artix: Oh come on what's another 50 update monstrosity :v:
[10:40:39 PM] Nine Gearcrow: Even better:
[10:40:43 PM] Nine Gearcrow: Do White Knight Chronicles. Again.
[10:40:50 PM] Artix: I don't have the game
[10:40:52 PM] Artix: Or the ability to cheat
[10:40:53 PM] Nine Gearcrow: Get it
[10:40:58 PM] Nine Gearcrow: Get a Game Genie
[10:41:02 PM] Nine Gearcrow: LP it
[10:41:04 PM] Nine Gearcrow: LOVE IT
[10:41:06 PM] Artix: no
[10:41:12 PM] Artix: no i will not crow
[10:41:14 PM] Nine Gearcrow: :getin:

:colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

[10:39:57 PM] Artix: I kinda want to do an SSLP again
[10:39:57 PM] Artix: Something smaller, simpler
[10:40:09 PM] Nine Gearcrow: Don't do a massive JRPG.
[10:40:27 PM] Artix: Oh come on what's another 50 update monstrosity :v:
[10:40:39 PM] Nine Gearcrow: Even better:
[10:40:43 PM] Nine Gearcrow: Do White Knight Chronicles. Again.
[10:40:50 PM] Artix: I don't have the game
[10:40:52 PM] Artix: Or the ability to cheat
[10:40:53 PM] Nine Gearcrow: Get it
[10:40:58 PM] Nine Gearcrow: Get a Game Genie
[10:41:02 PM] Nine Gearcrow: LP it
[10:41:04 PM] Nine Gearcrow: LOVE IT
[10:41:06 PM] Artix: no
[10:41:12 PM] Artix: no i will not crow
[10:41:14 PM] Nine Gearcrow: :getin:

:colbert:

THIS MAN IS WEAK! SHAME HIM! ALL OF YOU! I COMMAND IT!

Also, :lol: at the fact that I posted a massive list of games I was thinking of LPing a few weeks again and then chose to do none of them. ...Mostly because Rebel Assault II looked and played like poo poo on DOSBOX.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

nine-gear crow posted:

THIS MAN IS WEAK! SHAME HIM! ALL OF YOU! I COMMAND IT!

Oh I'm the weak one? Someone just earned a front row seat for the trainwreck that is Final Fantasy XIII-2. :unsmigghh:

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 31, 2014

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You can say a lot about FF13-2. But it is not a boring slog. I actually enjoyed playing it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Artix, you could always do an SSLP of the PSP WKC game. Someone on here has to.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Someone on here has to.

I challenge your assertion, Madam or Sir.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Please, can you even imagine an LP forum where no one ever played WKC again?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SomeMathGuy posted:

Please, can you even imagine an LP forum where no one ever played WKC?

Hahaha, drat. Also, crow, you should be ashamed for suggesting that anyone else play this abomination.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I am legitimately interested to see how someone else would have handled the game, to be honest. Most of the people here who played it, even those who liked it, seemed onboard with the "hurt it back" approach.

Yet I can't help but think a straight LP of it would be dead boring. There's a couple of VLPs on YouTube of it, but I haven't watched any of them yet so I can't tell if they're also mocking the game or what.

I'm also kind of bummed that one guy never posted his Origins trip report summary of the game. I want to know how goofy that game is, but I have no desire to actually play it. I would have any included it somewhere in the LP too. :(

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Bear in mind I haven't actually played WKC myself, but from what I've seen and heard of it, it is at worst a dreadfully boring game with a questionable combat system and a dumb story and the vast majority of the hate it gets seems to be more "Think of how great this COULD have been! What wasted potential!" rather than outright "This game (as it is) is bad."

And maybe it is bad. Maybe someday if I'm feeling like I've got 15bux burning a hole in my pocket I'll grab it at Gamestop or something and find out for myself. But until then, all I can really say is that the game, presented as it is, is boring, bland, and totally squanders its ideas; a label that could be applied to drat near any JRPG (and honestly the vast majority of games period) on the market these days.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So Blind Sally, in his insanity, has started LPing Minesweeper again.

Please, make him stop...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

So Blind Sally, in his insanity, has started LPing Minesweeper again.

Please, make him stop...

Orren: A dark wind blows...

Palpy: We appear to be safe, for now, and our treasure is still intact. But this does not appear to be the Secret Catacombs Of CanadaTM

Palpy: *sigh* A brilliant deduction.

Palpy: Good one, Sherlock. Again, brilliant deduction. But where exactly is "here?" What dimension are we in? Who exactly are these people? Why are they fighting in stupid looking robots?
Trooper: I'm not certain, sir.
Palpy: Hmm... I sense great anger in this one. Anger such as this I have not felt in a long time.
Trooper: Sir?
Palpy: Still, if you have the technology to build giant robots, why arm them with swords and hammers? Give me a good ol'turbolaser cannon any day.

Palpy: That was a close call--now, back to business.

Sally fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 6, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Sith shitbag...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You might have noticed it already on your own, but in case you haven't, the new LP I told you all I was setting up is now online:

Ta da!

Come along as Blind Sally, Artix, CJacobs and myself explore this quirky little game that's gotten a bit of a bad rap in recent years, yet we all love regardless of its flaw.

Well, all of us but CJacobs. He's never played it. :colbert:

Click on the image and begin your Persian journey TODAY!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay, "LP pick ups" update time:

I tried recording commentary for the remainder of the WKCII boss fight videos with Blind Sally and we mutually decided, "gently caress it." I'm so burnt out of this game that the rest of the videos are going up unedited, uncommented on, and unannotated, save the final boss gauntlet video.

They'll all be up a) when Blind Sally gets me his audio, and b) when I get done uploading them on my slow rear end third-world Canadian internet connection.

Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
Good on you for making the right choice, Crow. Move on with your life, be free, learn how to love again, just don't ever, ever touch this pile of vomit again.

• Locked thread