Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

i never figured out how the replicators could solve the problem of universal access to desirable non-replicable goods like "a piece of land in san francisco" or "scarlett johanssen's boobs"

i guess that's holodeck territory

i dunno man. how do they make a person disappear in one place and reappear at another place thousands of kilometers away with a multi-km/s inertial change?

in other words, they got super-physics in the future, how come they can't have super-sociology in the future as well?

at the same time though, i do think tng took it too far. it was still plenty revolutionary enough when the original series said "hey humans don't make war against each other any more and nobody goes hungry either". those are both way simpler concepts to grasp than "nobody wants for anything, man"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

perhaps the same could be said of all libertarians

nah libertarians are charting new depths of hilarity. i have a guy from high school on facebook who recently posted an article about one of the googlemasters (sergey?) declaring he wanted to leave all his money to elon musk, and my hs classmate posted that if he had to choose between the two, he "would [also] rather give [his] money to a good business than to a charity" because "businesses have to be efficient in order to continue to exist".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
ahahahahha I want 2 die

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

ahahahahha I want 2 die

same

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i dunno man. how do they make a person disappear in one place and reappear at another place thousands of kilometers away with a multi-km/s inertial change?

in other words, they got super-physics in the future, how come they can't have super-sociology in the future as well?

at the same time though, i do think tng took it too far. it was still plenty revolutionary enough when the original series said "hey humans don't make war against each other any more and nobody goes hungry either". those are both way simpler concepts to grasp than "nobody wants for anything, man"

nah libertarians are charting new depths of hilarity. i have a guy from high school on facebook who recently posted an article about one of the googlemasters (sergey?) declaring he wanted to leave all his money to elon musk, and my hs classmate posted that if he had to choose between the two, he "would [also] rather give [his] money to a good business than to a charity" because "businesses have to be efficient in order to continue to exist".

facebook needs a punch button

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeh tng also had gene's idiotic "no one ever argues or has disagreements in the future so the bridge crew aren't allowed to get mad or have drama"
and his creepy future sex ideas like "monogamy no longer exists and everyone has sex whenever they want with whoever they want and no one gets offended or jealous or hurt ever"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

yeh tng also had gene's idiotic "no one ever argues or has disagreements in the future so the bridge crew aren't allowed to get mad or have drama"
and his creepy future sex ideas like "monogamy no longer exists and everyone has sex whenever they want with whoever they want and no one gets offended or jealous or hurt ever"

because they will all be as drugged up as me at all times

who wouldn't want to go space cruising on an antimatter fueled starship crewed by a bunch of roddenberries

the naked now and forever!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

syscall girl posted:

who wouldn't want to go space cruising on an antimatter fueled starship crewed by a bunch of roddenberries

at least he's no heinlein

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sagebrush posted:

everything is beautiful and nothing hurts

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/31/snapchat-485m/

Can't wait for this bubble to burst

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

hot nubile redheads forever

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

im to flabby to go into space, apparently.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

im to flabby to go into space, apparently.

all of my aerospace dreams went out the window when someone pointed out i was 6'4 in grade 10

if i wanted to be a pilot i could maybe fly a c-130 or some kind of garbage scow, idk

my grades never recovered

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if my neighbors are any indication she should teach some kinda yoga class or perhaps does freelance graphic arts work for startups

this is assuming that she works at all b/c there are plenty of stay at home wives (w/o kids) in my complex

if they're not citizens, they might not be allowed to do much else. a work visa lets you bring your spouse, but i think they aren't even allowed to look for their own job, and unless they're also a techie/doctor/scientist they probably won't get a job that'll sponsor a work visa application. i know several women who are basically stuck at home or taking classes forever while they wait for a green card

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

eschaton posted:

heinlein good, roddenberry bad

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

wrongo

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
no heinlein is good
hosed up but good

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ahmeni posted:

no heinlein is good
hosed up but good

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/reviews/series/the-great-heinlein-juveniles-plus-the-other-two-reread

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...le-9950333.html

quote:

United Airlines and booking company Orbitz are suing a young American entrepreneur for establishing a website that searches for cheap flight tickets by using a loophole known as “hidden city ticketing”.

Aktarer Zaman, 22, founded Skiplagged.com last year to publicise the cheap deals that could be secured by booking one-way flight tickets. The flight must have a layover in the desired destination, and the traveller then does not take the onward flight.

the startup guy was ... right?!?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

syscall girl posted:

all of my aerospace dreams went out the window when someone pointed out i was 6'4 in grade 10

if i wanted to be a pilot i could maybe fly a c-130 or some kind of garbage scow, idk

my grades never recovered

same but 6' in 8th grade. wanted to join the air force but that ended quickly.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

born on a buy you posted:

same but 6' in 8th grade. wanted to join the air force but that ended quickly.
same but coke-bottle glasses in 7th grade

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Itt a bunch of white middle class kids act like the army wouldn't have accepted them into its ranks, shortly after 9/11 no less, because of some minor less-than-ideal characteristic

"I totally would have joined, I just wasn't allowed to!!!"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we only wanted the badass jobs like flying big fast jets not the stupid bullshit like cannon fodder

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my dad told me i wasnt allowed to join the military, does that count

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my parents didnt give a single gently caress what i did, i was three signatures away from signing for nuke school and had to yank on my own leash

lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

my parents didnt give a single gently caress what i did, i was three signatures away from signing for nuke school and had to yank on my own leash

lol

probably woulda been for the best if you'd done it tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

Itt a bunch of white middle class kids act like the army wouldn't have accepted them into its ranks, shortly after 9/11 no less, because of some minor less-than-ideal characteristic

"I totally would have joined, I just wasn't allowed to!!!"

flying for the air force is not exactly "army" or "ranks."

you have to be a highly educated member of the officer corps who also fits their exacting physical standards. it's the most prestigious and highly visible job in the military outside the joint chiefs of staff and theatre commands

it does not surprise me that a bunch of yosposters didn't have the right stuff

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

Articles like these are written by people who have no understanding of the sort of life that normal people lead, and no desire to learn.

"normal people" exist to clean techies houses, cook their meals, drive them to the club etc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nintendo Kid posted:

probably woulda been for the best if you'd done it tho

im nowhere near mentally stable enough to put up with that stint in the sub

aint happen

plus i'd be a republican shithead, 110% guaranteed

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Almost my entire family is military but I wouldn't join the service even if I had more than one functioning eye. The only person in my circle of family/friends the service has really treated well in me and my brother's generation is my brother's wife because she's an officer.

She's likely going to be a brigadier general here in a year or so and she's only 36. My brother is a senior engineer at a pretty large company and has like a decade and a half of machining/cnc experience and a bachelors in mechanical engineering from a really good university and her pay just crushes his.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

all the tech idiots thinking things will end up more star trek and less brazil is pretty indicative of their lack of exposure to how actual humans act when backed up by unquestionable edicts, regardless of if they are issued by machine or not.

or they all think they will be tuttle.

we already live in a world shittier than brazil

there's no loving way anyone who works for these piecework/"contractor" services actually believes the bullshit in their pr releases. if nothing else, they can see the legion of women paid $9/hr to be on the phone coordinating the contractors on the ground. remember the handybook article written by a woman who actually worked there? the barely-paid phone slaves were in the same office with the techie fuckstains.

it's just that startup shitheads think their privilege can never be eroded by the grossly unethical structures they build to support themselves. uber, handybook, airbnb et al all create incentives for normal (i.e. struggling) people to obsequiously serve the needs of the professional class at the lowest possible cost

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fabricated posted:

Almost my entire family is military but I wouldn't join the service even if I had more than one functioning eye. The only person in my circle of family/friends the service has really treated well in me and my brother's generation is my brother's wife because she's an officer.

She's likely going to be a brigadier general here in a year or so and she's only 36. My brother is a senior engineer at a pretty large company and has like a decade and a half of machining/cnc experience and a bachelors in mechanical engineering from a really good university and her pay just crushes his.

a brigadier general with a decade in service makes about as much as an entry level technology job

cnc was very highly paid fifteen years ago. now it is only slightly better than fry cook wages

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a brigadier general with a decade in service makes about as much as an entry level technology job

cnc was very highly paid fifteen years ago. now it is only slightly better than fry cook wages
She's in the commission corps now and she definitely makes more money than entry level tech jobs, but she's a doctor too.

My brother doesn't actually run CNC machines anymore, but he got his start as a journeyman machinist before he went to college. He's on the design end of things now and does pretty well, but makes pretty much what you described as entry level tech job $ as a senior engineer.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
to be clear, base pay for an experienced brig. general is 108k. housing allowance is a couple hundred a month. idk what combat pay is

you spend years in college, years in training, years licking boots in the officer corps, and you get 108k in a job that could move you anywhere in the world without warning or fire you mid-career because you weren't promoted fast enough

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to be clear, base pay for an experienced brig. general is 108k. housing allowance is a couple hundred a month. idk what combat pay is

you spend years in college, years in training, years licking boots in the officer corps, and you get 108k in a job that could move you anywhere in the world without warning or fire you mid-career because you weren't promoted fast enough
Weird, her housing allowance is way more than a couple hundred and she's making more in line with $138k (I've literally seen her tax forms) or so right now and she's still the equivalent of a colonel/captain in the commission corps.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my cousin graduated 4th from the bottom of his class at the air force academy, but i guess that still counts as graduating

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cs get degrees

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

my dad was in the air force and got pretty mad at me when i turned down a full ride for officer's school, then forgave me when 9/11 happened a few months later

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Meanwhile my sister-in-law's brother is in the marines and they haven't really done poo poo for him and fight him on providing healthcare after he basically got shot twice and caught in the concussion blast from an RPG

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Meanwhile my sister-in-law's brother is in the marines and they haven't really done poo poo for him and fight him on providing healthcare after he basically got shot twice and caught in the concussion blast from an RPG

Troop worship is lip service. You don't actually expect America to follow up, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

flying for the air force is not exactly "army" or "ranks."

you have to be a highly educated member of the officer corps who also fits their exacting physical standards. it's the most prestigious and highly visible job in the military outside the joint chiefs of staff and theatre commands

it does not surprise me that a bunch of yosposters didn't have the right stuff

well that's exactly my point. "i would join the military for sure but only if i get to be a cool badass flying fighter jets and not putting myself in any real danger. all the other jobs are beneath me."

• Locked thread