Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

neogeo0823 posted:

I'd like to say "A ticket came in...", but we don't have a ticketing system. Everything's done through Gmail, Google Hangouts, and a couple of programs that we use to view client info and comments from the various helpdesks and POS providers we regularly talk with. For a shop of 15 people, it works well enough.

My story for today, is that a text came in, from Tim. See, Tim's on a family vacation right now. His away message says he's got limited email and phone access, and to call the office if there's a big problem. Apparently, about 2 weeks ago, one of our clients contacted him and asked him to replace a broken USB card swiper they had. This shouldn't have been a big deal, since they're pretty close to us and we have tons of replacements. Instead, Tim forgot to do it, and never mentioned it to anyone. Fast forward to 8pm today, and he sends me a text frantically requesting that I drop everything I'm doing tomorrow morning to go to this merchant and replace their swiper. He forwarded me the email through text. It literally says "Hey, just wanted to know if you're going to have time to bring us that swiper any time soon. No rush or anything, we just need it by the end of next week." I'm going to be on the other side of town all day tomorrow installing a POS for a client that I scheduled with 2 weeks ago, so I'm forwarding this to my manager, whose on the same level as Tim and filing the whole thing under "Nope", with a note saying "get to it whenever". Thankfully, the client is very understanding, and my manager knows Tim does this poo poo literally all the time. Like, at least twice a week.

This is where a ticketing system would help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That sounds like tons of fun, in the "will it be a burning wreck when I wake up?" sort of way.

One of my favorite parts of my job is dealing with POS providers. In an ideal world, if we acquire a merchant who uses a point of sale already, we'd do the following (relatively) simple steps to make everything work:
  1. figure out which POS/software they're using, and if we can integrate with it
  2. If we can integrate with it, figure out which platform we integrate through. There's 3 different platforms that we commonly use, and some systems will work with more than one, so we need to figure out which one is best for them.
  3. Once that's done, we provision a merchant account on that platform. The merchant ID takes a couple days to come back to us.
  4. The MID comes to me, and I format it and some other info into a lovely little VAR Sheet, which I then email off to the POS provider. I then call them to inform them that "hey, this merchant is going to be doing a processor changeover. I already emailed you the VAR Sheet, let me know if you need any other info".
  5. Finally, the merchant has to call the POS provider and confirm that yes, they did want to initiate this change. After a day or so, the back end of the system gets new numbers and the money moves through the channels it's supposed to.
However.

Sometimes, the merchant is processing through the POS provider itself. Sometimes, the POS provider gets a bit pissed off when they learn through me that their soon-to-be-former client is moving away from them. Sometimes, the POS providers like to try to "retain" the client by telling me "Hey, sure, we'll make that change for you. Right after someone pays us the changeover fee. How much? Oh, you know, $1,300, the standard fee." :smug: "Oh, wait, what's that? Oh, that's right, the merchant has 3 POS stations, don't they? So that'll be $1300 per station then." :smuggo:

For anyone who might be considering starting a business with a POS, don't use Micros. Their systems are ancient, finicky in most cases, and they just got bought by Oracle, which may or may not be a good company, but they cut off all ways of contacting our local Micros branch office, which used to be the only way to get poo poo done quick* with them, and replaced it with the shittiest ticketing system I've ever seen. You call in, and the system forces you to either create a ticket or enter a ticket number in to get the status on it. If you start a ticket, it disappears into a black hole from which it will never escape. The last time I was able to talk to a human there, they were willing, but unable to create a ticket because their system wouldn't let them. They assured me that they were sending an email to the right person about it, and I never heard from Micros again.

*"quick" is used loosely here. It takes them weeks of us badgering them to get poo poo done. I have 3 clients who signed up with us back in September who still arent processing through us because of them dragging their feet and also being bought out.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is where a ticketing system would help.
It certainly would. After seeing such glowing recommendations from this thread, I've been trying Spiceworks, and while I like it, getting anyone else on board is a huge hassle because of varying degrees of "I don't have time to learn this", "I don't want to learn this", and "Our processing partner is coming out with a solution in the next few months. Just wait for that."

Also, Tim is the Special Snowflake here, and is the only one who uses Outlook in the office. He also doesn't email anyone unless he deems it necessary or they tell him to send one or it won't get worked on. He also likes to take equipment from our store room to use on his personal installs, which is fine, except that I'm in charge of inventory and he never tells me what or when or for whom he's taking poo poo. I only find out when I do the monthly audit and see we're missing 3 more terminals. I'm also fairly sure he's the one whose been turning the toilet paper in the bathroom so it feeds underhanded, but I don't have any real proof of that, but still. Guy's got some serious "I do it my way" issues.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm also fairly sure he's the one whose been turning the toilet paper in the bathroom so it feeds underhanded, but I don't have any real proof of that, but still.

That's hosed up.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

neogeo0823 posted:

That sounds like tons of fun, in the "will it be a burning wreck when I wake up?" sort of way.

One of my favorite parts of my job is dealing with POS providers. In an ideal world, if we acquire a merchant who uses a point of sale already, we'd do the following (relatively) simple steps to make everything work:
  2. If we can integrate with it, figure out which platform we integrate through. There's 3 different platforms that we commonly use, and some systems will work with more than one, so we need to figure out which one is best for them.
  3. Once that's done, we provision a merchant account on that platform. The merchant ID takes a couple days to come back to us.
  4. The MID comes to me, and I format it and some other info into a lovely little VAR Sheet, which I then email off to the POS provider. I then call them to inform them that "hey, this merchant is going to be doing a processor changeover. I already emailed you the VAR Sheet, let me know if you need any other info".
  5. Finally, the merchant has to call the POS provider and confirm that yes, they did want to initiate this change. After a day or so, the back end of the system gets new numbers and the money moves through the channels it's supposed to.
However.

Sometimes, the merchant is processing through the POS provider itself. Sometimes, the POS provider gets a bit pissed off when they learn through me that their soon-to-be-former client is moving away from them. Sometimes, the POS providers like to try to "retain" the client by telling me "Hey, sure, we'll make that change for you. Right after someone pays us the changeover fee. How much? Oh, you know, $1,300, the standard fee." :smug: "Oh, wait, what's that? Oh, that's right, the merchant has 3 POS stations, don't they? So that'll be $1300 per station then." :smuggo:

For anyone who might be considering starting a business with a POS, don't use Micros. Their systems are ancient, finicky in most cases, and they just got bought by Oracle, which may or may not be a good company, but they cut off all ways of contacting our local Micros branch office, which used to be the only way to get poo poo done quick* with them, and replaced it with the shittiest ticketing system I've ever seen. You call in, and the system forces you to either create a ticket or enter a ticket number in to get the status on it. If you start a ticket, it disappears into a black hole from which it will never escape. The last time I was able to talk to a human there, they were willing, but unable to create a ticket because their system wouldn't let them. They assured me that they were sending an email to the right person about it, and I never heard from Micros again.

*"quick" is used loosely here. It takes them weeks of us badgering them to get poo poo done. I have 3 clients who signed up with us back in September who still arent processing through us because of them dragging their feet and also being bought out.

It certainly would. After seeing such glowing recommendations from this thread, I've been trying Spiceworks, and while I like it, getting anyone else on board is a huge hassle because of varying degrees of "I don't have time to learn this", "I don't want to learn this", and "Our processing partner is coming out with a solution in the next few months. Just wait for that."

Also, Tim is the Special Snowflake here, and is the only one who uses Outlook in the office. He also doesn't email anyone unless he deems it necessary or they tell him to send one or it won't get worked on. He also likes to take equipment from our store room to use on his personal installs, which is fine, except that I'm in charge of inventory and he never tells me what or when or for whom he's taking poo poo. I only find out when I do the monthly audit and see we're missing 3 more terminals. I'm also fairly sure he's the one whose been turning the toilet paper in the bathroom so it feeds underhanded, but I don't have any real proof of that, but still. Guy's got some serious "I do it my way" issues.

This sounds like one of those jobs that underpays hilariously poorly and includes a stipend of stockholm syndrome.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Jeoh posted:

That's hosed up.

Why does this possible people off so much?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

jadeddrifter posted:

It has become a popular thing on the internet to mock, ergo, :regd08:

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

jadeddrifter posted:

The entire forum took up sides on this issue a couple of years ago. Lots of custom titles, avatars, banner ads, etc.

It was fun.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

It has become a popular thing on the internet to mock, ergo, :regd08:

Apparently this was one of the most frequent topics in letters to Ann Landers many years ago. It's been tearing families apart for decades.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A ticket came in from a user last night as I was sitting down to dinner.

quote:

The chair won't work

I requested more information from the user, but she just repeated the same thing. I examined the chair, which appeared to be fine. I asked the user to sit in the chair, but she informed me that she had an important meeting and departed the immediate area. I could see that she just went somewhere else instead.

Copied the user's manager on the ticket, and closed as unable to reproduce. Replaced the chair into its expected position.

The user is 2 years old and adorable :3:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Volmarias posted:

A ticket came in from a user last night as I was sitting down to dinner.

I requested more information from the user, but she just repeated the same thing. I examined the chair, which appeared to be fine. I asked the user to sit in the chair, but she informed me that she had an important meeting and departed the immediate area. I could see that she just went somewhere else instead.

Copied the user's manager on the ticket, and closed as unable to reproduce. Replaced the chair into its expected position.

The user is 2 years old and adorable :3:

The worst part about this is how average for this thread this seemed before the spoiler text.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

captkirk posted:

The worst part about this is how average for this thread this seemed before the spoiler text.

I know, I was just struck by the absurdity of it when it happened and thought I'd write it down.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

captkirk posted:

I seem to recall a game of "user or toddler" when telling stories a thread or two ago.

The fact that some of them were legitimately difficult to guess really tells you am you need to know.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This one's from a customer:

quote:

Are there any [mycompany] policys or restrictions regarding wifi inside our cage space at the colo?

We would like to add a limited range 2.4|5Ghz banded wifi inside one of our cages at the [location] COLO.

Thanks,

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
What the gently caress, why?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rhymenoserous posted:

What the gently caress, why?

Cable management. :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

Cable management. :colbert:

That's... brilliant! :aaaaa:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
So a ticket came in...

Gonna vent because I wasted a whole goddamn day on this and my car broke down yesterday so I'm just not in the mood to put up with poo poo.

I feel like I should preface that although I have been reading this thread for a while, I am not and never have been employed in IT for the company I work at. It's a large company and I work as a programmer for the billing part of our massive data warehouse infrastracture, and out team does most of the generating and sending of bills. A lot of FTP and simple C# or VB.net programs that shuffle data back and forth between databases. I assume somebody got the idea that since our team has "billing" in the name that any problem that happens that has to do with a bill should be routed to our department?

So since this is my week on call for things like batch failures and the like, I also get any other helpdesk tickets assigned to us plopped into my email. We're given access to tealeaf (which I guess is a program designed to recreate a browsing session? Too bad it basically doesn't work because IBM) with no training, training docs, or other documentation anywhere on our internal document system. I'm given a couple of tidbits about the user and spend basically all day chasing it in circles accross 3 different systems to find out that the user was logging into a year old inactive account and not her new active account.

This is not in my job description and we're supposedly trying to get these duties off our back, but why am I getting asked to troubleshoot a "user doesn't know how to login" problem with IT tools I'm not trained in and no knowledge of our web and nonbilling infrastructure?

And icing on the cake when I put a note in the ticket about the resolution and send it back to helpdesk, they slingshot it back in less than 2 minutes telling me to route it to the right department and it's not their job :confused:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Sounds like you should have done that in the first place.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mattavist posted:

Sounds like you should have done that in the first place.

Yeah, I'd absolutely do that next time they hand you a ticket like that.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, I'd absolutely do that next time they hand you a ticket like that.

"Out of scope, get hosed" is the best possible response to things like this.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

This sounds like one of those jobs that underpays hilariously poorly and includes a stipend of stockholm syndrome.

That's pretty much every single job I held previour to this one. Here, I am getting paid a bit below average, but I am also up for a raise, and just need to find the time to talk to my manager about it. It's been kinda hectic the last couple weeks, so I'll wanna try maybe next week, since the holidays will be over.

Today, a call came in. The owner of the company lives in an obscenely rich neighborhood full of mcmansions. Like, one place about a block down from him literally looks like they took two fancy brick houses and joined them together with half of a brick house in the middle. It literally has two front doors, on two separate sections of the house. Think like the Mcallister house from Home Alone 1, add some extra yard space and a separate garage, and you're starting to get there.

Anyway, said owner is on vacation out of the country until next week.I guess one of the owner's daughters is house-sitting while he's away, she called him all frantic because some dumb kids egged his house, and she didn't know what to do. He called my manager, who asked me to go over there and clean the egg up. In his defense, he actually was swamped with 5 different things he had to get done today, and I didn't actually have anything important to do. Also, I was getting paid for this, and it's a 5 minute drive from the office.

So I get there with a bucket of warm water, some 409, and a scouring sponge, expecting some huge mess of egged up window screens, protein stained wood doors, and milky glass panes. Instead, it appears as though whatever kids did this dragged his welcome mat over to the driveway and got it with 3 or 4 eggs, then from that spot tried to egg his door. They missed the door entirely, instead landing 3 shots on the steps leading up to it. There was also 1 egg thrown at a window to the side of the door, which missed that and hit the window sill.

The problems though, are thus: Everything about this house, except for the door and window frames, is made of extremely porous brick. It is also ~20 degrees outside, and the egg is firmly frozen by the time I get there. I begin making a token effort to scrub the egg off the steps nearest the door, when I find a bucket full of cold water, some kitchen gloves, a hand towel, and a spatula with some frozen egg on it sitting behind a potted plant next to the door. I guess the owner told his daughter to go scrape up the egg until someone could get there.

At least she tried? v:shobon:v

I ended up scrubbing for a few minutes before taking pictures to forward to the owner and calling it a day. He's gonna have to suck it up till spring, then go at this with a wire brush and some elbow grease. The egg isn't very noticeable, anyway.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

That's pretty much every single job I held previour to this one. Here, I am getting paid a bit below average, but I am also up for a raise, and just need to find the time to talk to my manager about it. It's been kinda hectic the last couple weeks, so I'll wanna try maybe next week, since the holidays will be over.

Today, a call came in. The owner of the company lives in an obscenely rich neighborhood full of mcmansions. Like, one place about a block down from him literally looks like they took two fancy brick houses and joined them together with half of a brick house in the middle. It literally has two front doors, on two separate sections of the house. Think like the Mcallister house from Home Alone 1, add some extra yard space and a separate garage, and you're starting to get there.

Anyway, said owner is on vacation out of the country until next week.I guess one of the owner's daughters is house-sitting while he's away, she called him all frantic because some dumb kids egged his house, and she didn't know what to do. He called my manager, who asked me to go over there and clean the egg up. In his defense, he actually was swamped with 5 different things he had to get done today, and I didn't actually have anything important to do. Also, I was getting paid for this, and it's a 5 minute drive from the office.

So I get there with a bucket of warm water, some 409, and a scouring sponge, expecting some huge mess of egged up window screens, protein stained wood doors, and milky glass panes. Instead, it appears as though whatever kids did this dragged his welcome mat over to the driveway and got it with 3 or 4 eggs, then from that spot tried to egg his door. They missed the door entirely, instead landing 3 shots on the steps leading up to it. There was also 1 egg thrown at a window to the side of the door, which missed that and hit the window sill.

The problems though, are thus: Everything about this house, except for the door and window frames, is made of extremely porous brick. It is also ~20 degrees outside, and the egg is firmly frozen by the time I get there. I begin making a token effort to scrub the egg off the steps nearest the door, when I find a bucket full of cold water, some kitchen gloves, a hand towel, and a spatula with some frozen egg on it sitting behind a potted plant next to the door. I guess the owner told his daughter to go scrape up the egg until someone could get there.

I ended up scrubbing for a few minutes before taking pictures to forward to the owner and calling it a day. He's gonna have to suck it up till spring, then go at this with a wire brush and some elbow grease. The egg isn't very noticeable, anyway.

There isn't enought :psyduck: in the world for this

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Fool posted:

There isn't enought :psyduck: in the world for this

Like I said, I got paid for it, and it's not like I had anything else to do. If either of those were different, I wouldn't have done it. That's not even the strangest, stupidest, or worst thing I've ever done, either. That's just today.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
RE: an egg came in...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

neogeo0823 posted:

Dude.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

There's egg on the house and I'm a Network Administrator, should I dig? I'm going to try digging.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Eldercain posted:

I'm given a couple of tidbits about the user and spend basically all day chasing it in circles accross 3 different systems to find out that the user was logging into a year old inactive account and not her new active account.

So I will note that everything else here was pretty :stonk:-worthy, but this part in particular is pretty much "welcome to being a developer on a customer-facing system". On a good day you'll get a support person to pair with to deal with the support tools and file paperwork, but if a customer comes in with an esoteric error message that support's never seen before, it's not like the frontline helpdesk guy is going to start digging through a couple dozen server-side codebases to find where that message is being spawned from.

I get to deal with tickets like this once or twice a week, I'd say. I actually like the investigation as a pleasant change of pace from banging out code all day every day, but your mileage may vary.

neogeo0823 posted:

:douche:

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 1, 2015

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

However.

Heeeey buddy! :v::hf::v: I'm basically on the other side of this equation: I work for a retailer and help manage all the POS stuff alongside backend reporting. On a scale of 1 to Frothing Rage how much do you like PCI Compliance? :unsmigghh:

At least you'll be busy for the foreseeable future, tons of companies should be upgrading to chip and pin technology in 2015.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Che Delilas posted:

There's egg on the house and I'm a Network Administrator, should I dig? I'm going to try digging.

I dunno about you guys, but I actually welcome egg-on-the-house sort of tasks, as long as I'm getting paid for them and they aren't something disgusting. Breaks up the monotony of "I clicked 'save', where did the file go?", "HELP HELP HELP I UNINSTALLED THE INTERNET (deleted my Chrome shortcut by accident)" and "I don't want to call the company to which we pay several hundred dollars monthly to support our POS system, can you fix this thing that you've never seen before and don't understand at all?".

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

EDIT: ^^^ Exactly.^^^

Mo_Steel posted:

Heeeey buddy! :v::hf::v: I'm basically on the other side of this equation: I work for a retailer and help manage all the POS stuff alongside backend reporting. On a scale of 1 to Frothing Rage how much do you like PCI Compliance? :unsmigghh:

At least you'll be busy for the foreseeable future, tons of companies should be upgrading to chip and pin technology in 2015.

Actually, PCI compliance stuff is one of my favorite things to talk about with our merchants, because every single time our company gets a new client set up, we give them a folder, in which is a PCI compliance guide sheet. This sheet gives them a time frame for what they need to do to become/maintain PCI compliance, as well as a URL for the PCI website. The merchant must register an account on the website and pass the self-assessment survey to become compliant before their time frame runs out. When they don't, and they call us up wondering why the hell their monthly fees went up $20 this wasn't what they signed up for, we're pulling bait and switch and gently caress you guys, I'm canceling my account, we get to remind them of the PCI sheet we gave them and go "tough poo poo, it's not us, go become compliant, this isn't going to go away even if you cancel your account with us."

As far as EMV requirements coming up this year, that's a whole other beast. Imagine that guy at your company that hates spending money on anything. If he was in charge of the building's toilet paper supply, he'd force you to purchase your own individual roll to bring in. Now multiply that by ~1300, and you have what I get to look forward to in the coming year. The way we have everything set up now, this is going to require roughly 1/3 of our merchants to purchase completely new terminals, 1/2 of our merchants to purchase a peripheral pinpad to bring their terminal up to standard, and the rest use online portals and mobile solutions, of which there's been no mention of EMV compliance changes yet. Everyone with a terminal will require an updated file to be downloaded to their terminal, which can be done on install for the replacements, but will take between 5 and 45 minutes, depending on the terminal, for those that don't need to be replaced. Everyone will need to be trained on how to use the new technology. We have no way to roll this out ahead of time because currently, our processing partner, who makes all this technology, doesn't have a functioning file structure for this stuff. Sure, we can technically enable it, and it's supposed to work with Apple Pay, but it definitely doesn't work with Google Wallet, and we don't have an RFID card to test that side of it with.

Now, out of all of our merchants, I'd say only maybe 1/5th are willing to spend the money. The rest don't see why they should be forced to upgrade, even when they're running terminals that are 8 years+ old, with card imprinters for backups. Thank god I'm not in sales at this company.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

neogeo0823 posted:

:stonk:

Che Delilas posted:

That.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Now, out of all of our merchants, I'd say only maybe 1/5th are willing to spend the money. The rest don't see why they should be forced to upgrade, even when they're running terminals that are 8 years+ old, with card imprinters for backups. Thank god I'm not in sales at this company.

Isn't one reason because if they don't upgrade and some sort of fraud happens they'll be liable for it? That sounds like a fairly good reason to me.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

myron cope posted:

Isn't one reason because if they don't upgrade and some sort of fraud happens they'll be liable for it? That sounds like a fairly good reason to me.

Just like how every financial services firm has ironclad security because if something happens to their clients' financial data they're liable for it.

(Actually they're probably not liable for it, but if not let's go with hospitals and HIPAA - there have been numerous stories in this very thread of hospitals basically not investing in security because it's too hard for doctors to deal with).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Potato Alley posted:

Just like how every financial services firm has ironclad security because if something happens to their clients' financial data they're liable for it.

They may not be liable directly, but their major customers have the kind of cash, lawyers, and power to ensure they're made liable in court.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I thought part of this switch to chip and pin (or chip and sign or whatever) shifted liability to a merchant if they weren't up to the new standard

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

myron cope posted:

I thought part of this switch to chip and pin (or chip and sign or whatever) shifted liability to a merchant if they weren't up to the new standard

Merchants can already be found liable if they're negligent enough. That doesn't really change with the switch, it only adds a new way they could be negligent (and removes some old ways).

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm hoping one day your grow the smallest bit of spine and maybe some bit of self-respect but really after taking part in this thread for years I don't have much hope.

I'll take fries with that, btw.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

The doormat? It's you.
I don't mean to be mean to you but really.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

spankmeister posted:

The doormat? It's you.
I don't mean to be mean to you but really.

No dude his manager is really actually nice and they're friends and a raise is coming any day now I'm sure the manager just forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

If a breach happens because of something that EMV / Chip and Pin would have prevented had they upgraded, the CC companies / processing companies would argue the business is liable for not upgrading to the more secure technology.

• Locked thread