Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

docx is probably a fine format to use while making PDFs

but you export to PDF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Blackula69 posted:

literally what people say to my girlfriend in her job editing & translating government documents.

"can't you just edit the pdf?"

anything that needs regular editing should really be generated and fed through a framework like ReportMill that uses templates and components to round-trip dynamic content

ReportMill is cool, they saw how WebObjects worked when NeXT invented "web applications" and applied the same techniques to PDF

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hobbesmaster posted:

nobody uses office for word

Word used to be good, especially on its true home platform, the Macintosh

I've unironically considered using an ancient Mac as a Word 4.0a or Word 5.1a machine, saving as RTF for interop with the rest of the world. or even using Word 2001 on my G3, since that was also p nice.

at least once you fix the stupid keybindings. page up, page down, home, and end are supposed to move the scroll bar, option/command-arrows are supposed to move the insertion point. drat it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

docx is probably a fine format to use while making PDFs

but you export to PDF

docx is an excellent format. pdf is trash tho and the only reason people send PDFs is cause no one wants to buy a PDF editor and the reason there are no free PDF editors is that the standard is so incredibly awful that no one in their right mind would write a pdf editor without getting paid loads of money for it. the correct way to create pdfs is to save as pdf from a word doc master.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

docx is an excellent format. pdf is trash tho and the only reason people send PDFs is cause no one wants to buy a PDF editor and the reason there are no free PDF editors is that the standard is so incredibly awful that no one in their right mind would write a pdf editor without getting paid loads of money for it.

pdf is an excellent page description format, it's almost perfectly designed for high-fidelity rendering and printing

saying you want to edit a pdf is like saying you want to edit the stream of escape codes sent to your Epson MX-80 instead of the structure of the document you're printing

you can do it, but almost nobody should, because that's not what it's for

xps, of course, was Microsoft's me-too attempt at usurping pdf because they didn't control it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Whenever I want to embed VRML into my printed pages, I look for PDF

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

For my MPEG-2 on paper needs, I know PDF has got my back.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If my printed pages need to execute JavaScript, PDF is my first choice.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If I ever need Shockwave Flash on a brochure, PDF is the format for me.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If I want to overflow the buffers in compressed bleached flattened wood pulp, PDF is there.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what about if u need to generate windows in your compositing window manager

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

sorry, PDF is not compatible with Display PostScript

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pram posted:

what about if u need to generate windows in your compositing window manager

you use an immediate-mode in-client API which implements the PostScript/PDF imaging model but is exceptionally optimized and draws into buffers shared with the window manager so it can composite as fast as the video hardware can manage

you certainly don't construct a PDF and send it to a server or something like a “Display PDF”

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
pdf is bad

docx is also bad

but they're the standard

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
html is probably a better choice of a universal document format than docx but god forbid people remember a simple markup language

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pseudorandom name posted:

sorry, PDF is not compatible with Display PostScript

some commodore 64 nutcase from a local sci-fi convention mailing list like ten years ago posted:

OK guys: I'm late in a reply, and haven't really followed the thread for
reasons stated below.

I'd like to point out for the archivists that a few years back there was
a problem about electronic PR things. This lead to the resignation of
myself and my entire crew from OSFCI and our committie slots at that tiem.
And if it wasn't for OryFred and Howitzer. We would never have returned.
Not everyone in the computer world uses the format of computer platform
that may seem to be main stream to others.

Lay the PR on me in Post Script of GeoPait/GeoWrite 2.1. I'll be fine.
Lay it on Lord Alberonn and To'Barr in PageStream. Then things will be
fine. If that isn't possible, well then you have discriminated against
people because of PC platform choices. But hell we went through that on
and off list a few cons back, and feelings haven't changed. As there
hasn't been closure to this topic yet! Therefore, I suggest that unless
OSFCI is willing to cover all existing computer platforms that are on the
list and for all con members. Regarding electronic media. The perhaps
sticking with a paper medium is the best way. Unless certain detractors
form a few years back are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

End long and painfull memory rant. And ahope to end computer platform
discrimination.

BCNU

Lord Ronin from Q-Link
{ex OSFIC member, Ex committe member, Ex OryCon supporter. Die Hard
Commodore user and author}

lol i wonder if this guy is still clinging to his commodore 64 today

edit: aw poo poo seems he died in 2009 :(

pram
Jun 10, 2001
RIP Lord Ronin

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

did ms release THE BROWSER yet

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

codenamed halo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qirex posted:

yeah at least microsoft follows through with their terrible ideas, no matter what the rest of the world says

silverlight, games for windows live, etc

the big business-integral stuff doesn't ever get canceled, but microsoft has axed plenty of side projects and standalone things, usually about six months after they've finally got enough adoption that some companies have locked themselves into it

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol i wonder if this guy is still clinging to his commodore 64 today

edit: aw poo poo seems he died in 2009 :(

i've heard of that guy, i never met him but through a friend wound up working on one of his computers. sadly i couldn't get it fixed in time

it was an amiga 4000 that had been shoved into a bigger aftermarket tower case, presumably as part of some zany video toaster setup that never happened. thing had dust and smoke residue like you wouldn't believe. also cap rot.

all of the hard drives had completely seized up, so there was no poking through his personal crap even if i wanted to

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

i hope mac 2014 for the mac comes with a "print to markdown" option

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lmfao

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

loving lol, this is my local news station

and of course it's an matc student

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

eschaton posted:

anything that needs regular editing should really be generated and fed through a framework like ReportMill that uses templates and components to round-trip dynamic content

ReportMill is cool, they saw how WebObjects worked when NeXT invented "web applications" and applied the same techniques to PDF

this is the government here. they're barely on windows 7 at this point (they upgraded in the summer)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

silverlight, games for windows live, etc

the big business-integral stuff doesn't ever get canceled, but microsoft has axed plenty of side projects and standalone things, usually about six months after they've finally got enough adoption that some companies have locked themselves into it

there are things worse than cancellation

"upgrading" from ocs 2007 to lync 2010 was actually a rip and replace operation. nothing, nothing compatible between the two. not even the phones. total ground-up reinstall required

every sharepoint upgrade is basically the same story

microsoft has left business customers high and dry many, many times.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

stop triggering me

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my stepdads beer posted:

stop triggering me

lync

for mac

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:barf:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
lol if you give anything but .pdfs to recruiters

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Necc0 posted:

lol if you give anything but .pdfs to recruiters

giving them a pdf will not stop them from re-typing your resume onto company letterhead

but i do it anyway

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

my stepdads beer posted:

stop triggering me

if you think lync is bad by itself watch what happens when some clownshoe hosted services company puts exchange in the ~cloud~ :yayclod:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pseudorandom name posted:

If my printed pages need to execute JavaScript, PDF is my first choice.

Depressingly forms work well in PDF, with input validation through JavaScript. It is bit odd to provide a form that can be electronically filled out and validated but also simply printed out at the same time and manually filled in. It seems to work great for government docs though.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

giving them a pdf will not stop them from re-typing your resume onto company letterhead

but i do it anyway

this irritates me so goddamn much because i took the time to make a nice looking resume to distract from my lack of experience

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

even internal HR will occasionally pull that poo poo

I've walked into interviews where I've talked only to people in the company, look at the resume the technical interviewer has in their hand which was clearly my resume copy/pasted into plaintext format for JobVite or some poo poo.

I'll hand them a printed copy and they go "oooh that's much better"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah i can see their interest immediately perk up when i hand them my little pony resume

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if you think lync is bad by itself watch what happens when some clownshoe hosted services company puts exchange in the ~cloud~ :yayclod:

we just aborted a cloud transition for a client because of this. the only provider that met their storage reqs and had the necessary certs was run by complete shitlords.

they nickel and dimed us on basic functionality and anything even moderately complicated was simply unavailable. you couldn't do it and they wouldn't do it for you

i'll say one thing for microsoft, they are by far the best hosted exchange provider

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

you know why they call the new MS browser Spartan?

because when you see it you turn 300 degrees and walk away.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

you know why they call the new MS browser Spartan?

because when you see it you turn 300 degrees and walk away.

this did not give me pleasure

• Locked thread