Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
every single loser i knew in high school grew up and told me that they were totally going to fly helicopters but turns out they were colorblind or something so they couldn't Defend Our Nation :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

they lucked out considering choppers are death traps

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah but we didnt luck out cause they ended up not dying and having 4 redneck kids apiece

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Troop worship is lip service. You don't actually expect America to follow up, do you?

"well i put a magnetic ribbon on the back of my car, it's the least you can do!"

yes that is a literally true statement

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

could be worse, they could be getting medals for flying drones using xbox controllers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

well that's exactly my point. "i would join the military for sure but only if i get to be a cool badass flying fighter jets and not putting myself in any real danger. all the other jobs are beneath me."

plenty of risk in flying planes, since we're not paying to maintain the old air frames properly they're literally disintegrating in the sky

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

between this and shunting all the morons into the nuke arm i get the feeling america is going to have a really bad adjustment period if it ever has to fight another superpower

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i would join the military for sure but only if i get to be a cool badass flying fighter jets and not putting myself in any real danger. all the other jobs are beneath me.

this but 100% seriously

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

between this and shunting all the morons into the nuke arm i get the feeling america is going to have a really bad adjustment period if it ever has to fight another superpower
p. good prospect given it currently is only superpower on planet

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Forums Terrorist posted:

there will never be a super power for them to fight. we are generations ahead of everyone as is and that's just known tech

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
brics are one market correction from revolution. who else is there? the eu deciding it wants to fight?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eurasian union that was established today :laugh:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Time-travelling South Africans?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

israel lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah but we didnt luck out cause they ended up not dying and having 4 redneck kids apiece

eh, they probably would have managed to bang out at least a couple kids before gettin' killed anyway

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i dunno man. how do they make a person disappear in one place and reappear at another place thousands of kilometers away with a multi-km/s inertial change?

in other words, they got super-physics in the future, how come they can't have super-sociology in the future as well?
everyone went into stem to get them to that technology, so there was no one advancing the social sciences.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rjmccall posted:

if they're not citizens, they might not be allowed to do much else. a work visa lets you bring your spouse, but i think they aren't even allowed to look for their own job, and unless they're also a techie/doctor/scientist they probably won't get a job that'll sponsor a work visa application. i know several women who are basically stuck at home or taking classes forever while they wait for a green card

there are a few of those yeah

but there are also pleeeenty of white chick girlfriends/wives here that are exactly this

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

well that's exactly my point. "i would join the military for sure but only if i get to be a cool badass flying fighter jets and not putting myself in any real danger. all the other jobs are beneath me."

tbh navy seems like the least possible danger

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

the navy decided that ocean colored camouflage was a good idea for work clothing at sea

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah navy seems p solid. industrial accidents if anything

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hobbesmaster posted:

the navy decided that ocean colored camouflage was a good idea for work clothing at sea

hey at least they lay their cards on the table

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

you can take off the clothes if you need to be seen, nbd

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nintendo Kid posted:

aren't most people in the air force just ground crews or whatever? seems like statistically that'd be your best bet.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Just dye your hair Fireball Fuschia, you'll be seen no problem.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

my dad told me i wasnt allowed to join the military, does that count

same except my mom and she had a dad and an uncle who were both ww2 pilots

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

there was a program called uh, operation blue to green or something dumb like that and it was basically, you signed up for the navy? cool, you're going to be driving trucks in iraq now because we can't get enough army guys to do this extremely lovely and dangerous job

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah navy seems p solid. industrial accidents if anything

except that your career could literally entail mopping floors 24/7

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

id take that over dying in the desert any day tbh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
good point

and i'm sure navyman still looks p good on a resume since i'd imagine that they don't get into the specifics too much beyond are soldiers stuff for jobgettin

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

could be worse, you could work with computes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

objectively, 3 hots, a cot and a mop is a better shake than the average non-college-bound American 18 year old is lookin at in 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

aren't most people in the air force just ground crews or whatever? seems like statistically that'd be your best bet.

yes but they're also full of evangelicals because the academy is in colorado springs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

computer parts posted:

yes but they're also full of evangelicals because the academy is in colorado springs

yah we're scared of the springs still

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

if your parents know someone like the governor or a congresscritter then you can get a guaranteed spot there for college since they're each given a few discretionary admissions a year #lifehacks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i think it was in the scifi thread where someone was pointing out how the only people interested in starfleet would necessarily be maladjusted or otherwise mentally disturbed people who are wanting to leave literal utopia for any reason

the puppeteers in ringworld characterize this as well

this was part of the idea of tos, kirk and co. had too much of the ~human spirit for adventure~ to be happy at home on utopia world

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
lol if you defend your country

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qntm posted:

lol if you defend your country

"the military is for suckers" is how i was convinced by my fam after meeting with a recruiter b/c they loved my asvab scores or something due to not being all the way retarded in hs

and this was pre-9/11

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

computer parts posted:

My dad was a wideband radio guy in the Air Force and I don't recall any evangelicals (mostly just a bunch of drunks). This was during the 90s though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/10/us-air-force-sergeant-reenlist-god-oath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Jesusy poo poo has gotten a lot worse in the military since the 70s I guess

• Locked thread