Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

OxMan posted:

Does putting in implants mess with your charisma spirit stuff or does it only affect willpower spells? I'm an elf shaman with guns as secondary (just got the game on the dollar android sale)
I haven't played enough shamans to know for sure but pretty sure cyberware (i.e. Essence reduction) will only add to spell cooldowns. Strictly speaking it shouldn't affect spirit control or summoning via environment trigger/fetishes, but it does harsh on your Conjuring spells, which you should definitely be using (if only for Haste) along with spirits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I just finished Aquaria, so I'm leaving some non-spoilery advice for first-time players:

- Combined keyboard/mouse controls are key and will save you lots of stress. 1-0 keys are shortcuts for forms and shield/bind songs, keyboard navigation + mouse aiming is very good for boss fights, while mouse-only navigation is better for jumping off-wall (especially in a certain location, you'll know it when you get there).

- Explore, explore, explore. If you find an area/boss too hard, go elsewhere, get upgrades. The game is very lenient towards sequence-breaking and a few forms/upgrades are entirely optional, so search around.

- Big red bulbs are the only finite cooking ingredient, everything else can be found/farmed, so don't be afraid to experiment. Different kinds of meals have similar forms, so if you find a new recipe for one thing, try using the specified additive for other similar stuff. Poisonous meals are mostly useless, sealoaves aren't.

- The useless-looking charge attack of nature form is for launching yourself off a wall if you aim it where you're holding. Again, specific use but it will save you lots of stress.

- Don't be afraid to backtrack to a save crystal when low on health, you can die surprisingly easily.

- If you're having trouble with bosses, cooked stuff will help a lot. You want: healing (at least Heal 2), +defense, +speed, +energy shot, cure poison if applicable, all else is optional. Don't hoard stuff, you can get more and the maximum is 8 anyway.

- The Aquarian script is actually English with a different font. You can translate it yourself or replace it with a different file, I recommend it as the messages don't spoil anything but add more understanding of the game world. Original is gfx\aquarian.png, English (ugly) is aquarian_alt.png, here's a much prettier "bioluminescent" high-visibility Aquarian-looking English font.

- if you find a passage locked/blocked/that looks like it requires some future upgrade, mark it on your map! Similarly, mark good resource spots with a different color.

- there are secret passages (where you can go through walls). You can find them on the minimap (but not on the main map!). If you see suspicious passage that's not appearing on the main map nor the screen, poke around. Some secrets may require different mobility upgrades.

- some treasures are ornamental but some are actual upgrades for your home or your armor (in particular the jellyfish armor is awesome for exploration and slower boss fights).

- Don't stress in the final location, the last save crystal/transport point is right before the last boss so there's no point of no return.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 29, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kenny Logins posted:

I haven't played enough shamans to know for sure but pretty sure cyberware (i.e. Essence reduction) will only add to spell cooldowns. Strictly speaking it shouldn't affect spirit control or summoning via environment trigger/fetishes, but it does harsh on your Conjuring spells, which you should definitely be using (if only for Haste) along with spirits.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add... don't get Wired Reflexes. It's a must have in pen 'n' paper, but it's been reduced to poo poo here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

McCoy Pauley posted:

Any advice for Crypt of the Necrodancer, in particular stuff to upgrade early on? Also, is there any point to picking up glass gear from that special shop? It feels pretty lame that when it breaks I'm left with nothing, rather than reverting to my prior, non-glass gear.
This is from the previous page, but you should definitely prioritize the middle shop's upgrades, as they're permanent and persistent, rather than the 'this item now appears' like the other two. Health, especially, is important while you're learning monster patterns.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Inflammatory posted:

here's a few random tips.

try to stick to a single main party. leveling everyone up equally will just drive you insane and isn't really necessary thanks to sub-personas.

From a while ago but as a result of being able to buy the growth accessory later I don't think keeping people reasonably level is all that difficult. It's fairly easy to get enough money to buy one for each of your benchers. Guess it was a bit slow at first before having the acc for each one but if you want to swap in/out often I don't think it's that big a deal.

e: another tip I remember reading somewhere but haven't checked for myself is to keep your sub persona relatively in level with your main. Apparently if they're more than 5 levels below there's a damage reduction for their moves? Probably fusing semi often anyway so it probably doesn't get encountered much.

Overminty fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 30, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
On the topic of Persona Q: is there some sort of golden ending that requires playing at the highest difficulty and/or making the exact right choices at the end?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

FredMSloniker posted:

On the topic of Persona Q: is there some sort of golden ending that requires playing at the highest difficulty and/or making the exact right choices at the end?
No, but you won't regret it if you keep both P3 and P4 protagonists leveled up. You don't have to use both, just stick the one you aren't using with a growth accessory.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Is there anything I should know for the PC version of Resident Evil 4, if I only played the GC version ages ago when it first came out? That is, anything new for the PC version, or beyond the copious advice in the wiki?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is there anything I should know for the PC version of Resident Evil 4, if I only played the GC version ages ago when it first came out? That is, anything new for the PC version, or beyond the copious advice in the wiki?

The PC version isn't really all that different. Just make sure you get the latest HD ultimate version from Steam or wherever. The original PC port of RE4 was an unbelievable clusterfuck featuring things such as no lighting, no mouse support, and prerendered cutscenes. (Gamecube can handle shadows but PC can't? The gently caress?)

I think they added mouse support and shadows to the HD ultimate version at least. If not there were fan hacks to add mouse support and better textures.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Zaphod42 posted:

The PC version isn't really all that different. Just make sure you get the latest HD ultimate version from Steam or wherever. The original PC port of RE4 was an unbelievable clusterfuck featuring things such as no lighting, no mouse support, and prerendered cutscenes. (Gamecube can handle shadows but PC can't? The gently caress?)

I think they added mouse support and shadows to the HD ultimate version at least. If not there were fan hacks to add mouse support and better textures.

Thanks. I just bought it during the Steam Winter Sale, so I assume that means I have the latest HD whatever version.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One thing to note is that some systems get really bad slowdown with the game for no entirely-clear reason, but updating drivers and loving with display settings usually fixes it.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I got Baldurs Gate 2 on the iPad recently, and have just managed to figure out the controls, but not how to play properly. Would starting from Level 1 in the original help, or is that going to overwhelm me too?

I've never been too good at tactical games with parties, 2nd edition seems a bit nuts.

Would it just be better to keep the second one with an easy to use party?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone say words about Shovel Knight? I can't find the massive post of stuff someone posted the other day.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone say words about Shovel Knight? I can't find the massive post of stuff someone posted the other day.

Upgrade health first, then magic. You can buy three of the health upgrades, the rest you get in your campsite after every couple bosses.

There's a relic in each OonQ level. If you miss it before killing the boss (or maybe just don't buy it when you do) then Chester will sell it in town for a pretty big mark up instead.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Attack every wall, even the ones that don't look like they can be broken. You'll often find secret walls hidden within secret walls hidden within secret walls.

Also, the fishing rod doesn't seem that useful as a weapon, but if you manage to hit a boss with it, it can instantly take a whole point of health off which, surprisingly, has its uses, especially if you're low on health.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I just picked up The Quest - Gold for iOS to fill a deep hole in my life that can only be filled by cRPGs. Any advice for that?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've played Metal Gear Solid 1-3 before, but it's been a while. What do I need to have fresh in mind from those three before I go into MGS 4 for the first time?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've played Metal Gear Solid 1-3 before, but it's been a while. What do I need to have fresh in mind from those three before I go into MGS 4 for the first time?

Gameplay or story? There's quite a bit of stuff.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Story. And I've been going over the wikipedia articles already so, mainly stuff they may have missed. :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Story. And I've been going over the wikipedia articles already so, mainly stuff they may have missed. :v:

Nothing really. MGS4 is so full of exposition that it goes through the previous games with a fine-tooth comb to ensure that any questions about loose ends you might have will be completely closed by the end. Anything else you can safely assume is retconned because nanomachines.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That is certainly convenient!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vadun posted:

I got Baldurs Gate 2 on the iPad recently, and have just managed to figure out the controls, but not how to play properly. Would starting from Level 1 in the original help, or is that going to overwhelm me too?

You may want to check out the relevant thread and ask for advice, since there's so much to give (mods, strategies, party members).

I will say one thing - I don't think BG combat was designed to be played in real time. The pause button (and the option to auto-pause at the start of every round) is there for a reason.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vadun posted:

I've never been too good at tactical games with parties, 2nd edition seems a bit nuts.

Hoo yeah, as Xander says, BG2 is not a forgiving game. Turn on at the very least the auto-pause on enemy sighted option, and make liberal use of pausing-and-issuing commands as the fight progresses. A balanced strong party is Minsc & Jaheira which you get right at the very beginning of the tutorial dungeon, Jan Jansen who you can find selling turnips in the government district, Aerie who you find in the Circus Tent in the Promenade district, and Keldorn who is doing a quest in the sewers under the temple district. This party has two people who can cast divine spells, two people who can cast arcane spells, two strong frontline melee tanks, and one person with thief skills. Your actual protagonist can be any class you want and still have a balanced party.

Other things in the "need to know ahead of time" category is that trolls cannot be killed without fire or acid. No matter how much you beat on them, they'll just fall to the ground and unless you inflict acid or fire damage on them, they'll get back up. Even a single point of damage is enough though, so shooting them with a single fire arrow or casting even a very weak spell on them will be enough to finish them off.

Nashie 0
Mar 19, 2009
In Persona Q is there any real difference between the two parties after the two meet up? I've played a couple floors with each but its too early to tell as its mostly just tutorial stuff , so would I have to play through twice to really get the whole picture or does it all devolve into the same thing once the two parties unite?

My favourite of the two games was P4 but I think I might be getting sick of it after Arena, Golden and the anime so I don't exactly have a preference as such.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vadun posted:

Some good advice was already given, but to answer your question: I don't think starting with the first game would help much, because it still won't really teach you much about the actual rule system, and the beginning can be really tedious with such limited options and casters having to rest after like two spells. So just go to the thread, read up a bit about how the rules work, and it'll come to you.

And to reiterate what was already said: Use the pause. Use it liberally. There will be need to micromanage your team's actions, to think and consider your options, and to just take a plain old breather and gather your thoughts. Explore the auto-pause options. Enemy Spotted and Character Injured are invaluable, while some other options will just get in the way. Try them out and see what works for you.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah I think thats the thing that throws new people off, pausing to issue commands is meant to be used very liberally. The games much too chaotic for total real time.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Nashie 0 posted:

In Persona Q is there any real difference between the two parties after the two meet up? I've played a couple floors with each but its too early to tell as its mostly just tutorial stuff , so would I have to play through twice to really get the whole picture or does it all devolve into the same thing once the two parties unite?

My favourite of the two games was P4 but I think I might be getting sick of it after Arena, Golden and the anime so I don't exactly have a preference as such.

there are some scenes that change depending on which protagonist you picked, some minor and some major, and a bonus boss that only unlocks after you've beaten the game with both on a single save file. don't waste your time with two concurrent playthroughs, just pick one and then do the other in new game+ if you feel so inclined.

overall though i'd say the differences are pretty minor, so feel free to just ask in the persona q thread for the cliffnotes version of whichever one you don't choose if you don't feel like playing through twice.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 2, 2015

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hello friends. I got Wolf Among Us, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Arkham Origins and Thief (the new one) for Christmas.

Please tell me how to play my big-boy games.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Hello friends. I got Wolf Among Us, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Arkham Origins and Thief (the new one) for Christmas.

If you want to get all the challenges done the first time through on Origins, you'll probably need to find a guide as one of the sets of challenges is meant to be done in very specific areas and become impossible, or near to, if you miss that spot to complete each level.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Also, the fishing rod doesn't seem that useful as a weapon, but if you manage to hit a boss with it, it can instantly take a whole point of health off which, surprisingly, has its uses, especially if you're low on health.

I just want to thank you for this. It's saved my rear end a few times.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
Picked up Craft the World for Christmas, and been mucking about with it a bit. Here are some things I wish I'd known before I started. Perhaps they might help others:

• You can craft coal. At some point (I've not worked out when) the recipe unlocks, in that it is only then displayed, but you can make it from the start. It's a single piece of dirt surrounded by 8 bits of wood.
  • If you want to build a lake, line your pit with stone first. Water seeps away through dirt, but doesn't through stone. Fish will naturally spawn once it has some water in it, although it might take a day or two. You can fill it manually if you have some buckets, or if it's open to the sky wait/pray for rain.
  • You can plant grain in dirt almost anywhere. I built underground farms, or ones in attics, without any difficulty. You typically don't need much though.
  • It says you need a bed for each dwarf. This doesn't seem to be true, they seem happy to just bunk down in any available bed, and only complain if they're all occupied.
  • Tesla towers can be stacked - if you build 2 on top of each other they combine into a more powerful one. This works up to a stack of 3.
  • Teslas can't shoot stuff below them if they're on a wall or roof. They can if on a bridge. Building an awning over your base entrance from bridges and covering it with teslas is quite effective.
  • When you place an elevator, you put it at the top of a shaft, not the bottom. This is important because it's expensive, and one of the items that breaks if you move it.
  • Railroads are largely a waste of time, other than for aesthetics. The portal spell is very cheap, and probably the best way of extending your mines.
  • Mana recharges while the game is paused (probably a bug)
  • There is no save feature, it autosaves continually. Useful as it crashes sometimes. Bad if you open up a cavern containing something too strong for you.
  • If a dwarf is working at a workstation (say a workbench) he drops the items he makes, sometimes sideways. If you have a workstation next to the top of a deep shaft this can be very painful as someone needs to go all the way to the bottom to collect the items. It can be useful though if you build workstations on little platforms above the stockpile.

If anyone has tips on how to build effective tree farms, I'd love to hear them. I don't seem to be able to stack them - if I build two layers of dirt, even quite far apart, trees grow on at most one, and sometimes neither of them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

juliuspringle posted:

I just want to thank you for this. It's saved my rear end a few times.

I'm pretty sure the Alchemy Coin also deals double damage, it's great for a lot of enemies and you even get some extra cash for killing things with it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I've got the craving for some really stupid anime game, so I'm putting some time into .hack GU. I played the first game and I think a bit of the second when I was in early high school, but remember almost none of it and probably hosed it up.

This is from a few pages back, but I feel like it's important to mention that your level can mean the world in terms of the damage you deal and take against bosses. Grinding out two or three levels can usually mean the difference between tickling a boss to death and actually doing reasonable damage.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Wolf Among Us doesn't really need much in the way of tips as it's a straight and strictly narrative game; even a blind first-time attempt couldn't mess up enough to warrant a redo and even then there's the rewind function in case you miss a cue or something. Make sure to explore thoroughly if you're looking for all the codex/Book of Fables entries. You'll need to rewind or do a few different playthroughs to get every last one. Try not to spoil yourself by reading the comics, as the game is something of a prequel. If you care about being "in character" and consistent with the source material: Bigby is a violent guy and often a prick, but genuinely cares about those close to him. Smoke often.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
what should I know before I play Dungeonmans?

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

Good advice there, also remember to choose the "Glass Him" option when it comes up.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

what should I know before I play Dungeonmans?

Just started playing this, and I'd say go with Rangermans or Dungeonmans-class spec'd for ranged combat at first. Also Real Armor doesn't limit spellcasting in any way.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Anything for Digital Devil Saga?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
God help me, DotA 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scrap Dragon posted:

Anything for Digital Devil Saga?

You're not going to be able to consistently level up everyone without a lot of grinding. Drop Cielo and work on the rest. However, this is not true for DDS2 when he's actually really useful.