Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I'm waiting for the post where he says he can't get the MS-20 to play multiple notes at the same time. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I got to play with my Electribe today.

Besides my computer hating SDHC cards, and thus not being able to update, it's been pretty good so far.

It's built pretty solid, and the big knobs (pattern/value, cutoff, modulation, IFX) have some resistance to them. I kinda wish they'd made all the knobs big knobs, or at least made them endless like the big ones. Even so, I think they handle situations where the value doesn't match knob position well, with both catch and jump to options.

The oscillators sound a little thin but I was kind of expecting that. They definitely sound much better with some tweaking and effects. The 6 LP filters (Electribe, MS-20, Moog, Prophet V, Oberheim, and 303) definitely sound distinct from one another. Authenticity I can't really judge. To my novice ears there is a lot of depth to the modulation and effects options- lots of possibility for interesting sound design/robot farts.

I haven't tried making a pattern yet, it's going to take a while for me to get a handle of this sequencer. Still no idea if I can sequence parts to more than other piece of gear.

I've some bitching online about "cheesy 90's" sounds. Well sure, there's loads of "classic" sounds 808/909 drums, M1 organ/Piano, etc. I think they still will work if you don't use em' naked. I'm pretty sure I can make the M1 organ sound evil instead of like 90's pop dance, for instance.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
So I forget, did we ever establish -- or was there already -- a synth thread+vst thread IRC channel?

I ask because despite my recent post about avoiding GAS lust in software, I went very mildly bonkers recently and picked up DCAM Synth Squad, along with a couple of other toys, and a discounted Usine renewal/upgrade. I guess I wanna chat about it.

I'm still holding myself back from buying some other stuff until a few months into the new year, since the new studio is still being built out, and I need to move gear across country anyway...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

minidracula posted:

So I forget, did we ever establish -- or was there already -- a synth thread+vst thread IRC channel?

I ask because despite my recent post about avoiding GAS lust in software, I went very mildly bonkers recently and picked up DCAM Synth Squad, along with a couple of other toys, and a discounted Usine renewal/upgrade. I guess I wanna chat about it.

I'm still holding myself back from buying some other stuff until a few months into the new year, since the new studio is still being built out, and I need to move gear across country anyway...

If there's DCAM involved, I'm interested :dance: My favourite VST's by far. Synth-thread IRC sounds nice as well, though I can't really recall any talk about it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yo it's #synths on synirc. It's totally filled with cool sexy people all the time.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

*** toadee [~cgiirc@synIRC-A1CC7EBA.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com] has joined #synths
*** Topic is: SYNTHESIZERS
*** Topic set by net_work_error [Fri Dec 19 22:24:04 2014]
*** toadee SpookyGriff @net_work_error
*** Channel created on Fri Dec 19 01:04:08 2014
<toadee> hmmmmmm
<toadee> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT6YCUSX930
<toadee> that is all

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Korg, I love your Synths but I hate your documentation. Edit does different things to different voices, but you don't tell me what anywhere, and you did it for the KingKorg and that has two knobs that doe what edit does on the Electribe!

Anybody have any idea what the difference between the SYNC oscillators and the SYN Oscillators is? I imagine the latter are some kind of FM, because they come after all the VPM voices, which are Korgs kinda sorta FM thing. Any clue?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody have any opinion on the Groovesizer stuff? The Red intrigues me.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

AxeBreaker posted:

Korg, I love your Synths but I hate your documentation. Edit does different things to different voices, but you don't tell me what anywhere, and you did it for the KingKorg and that has two knobs that doe what edit does on the Electribe!

Anybody have any idea what the difference between the SYNC oscillators and the SYN Oscillators is? I imagine the latter are some kind of FM, because they come after all the VPM voices, which are Korgs kinda sorta FM thing. Any clue?

NEVER push the felch button.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

AxeBreaker posted:

Anybody have any idea what the difference between the SYNC oscillators and the SYN Oscillators is?

Oscillator sync implemented as a single oscillator with one single knob adjusts the osc sync amount - i.e. the detune between master and slave osc. Changing this gets you this metallic, ripping sound. On classic analogs you would need to sacrifice an oscillator for that, since you would only be hearing the synced signal. On VAs and plugins it can be part of the oscillator model.

"Syn" by itself usually means synthetic, so it could be something using the DWGS waveforms.

tl,dr: if you change the oscillator parameter and you don't hear a circular saw, it's not sync.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

AxeBreaker posted:

Korg, I love your Synths but I hate your documentation.
You're not kidding. I took a look at the Kingkorg manual and it's pretty much this:

quote:

Thanks for purchasing the KingKorg synthesizer! With its wonderful sounds and characterfully modelled filters, we're sure you'll have a whale of a time with it.

Page intentionally left blank.

It's FCC compliant. Clean with a soft, damp cloth. Dispose of empty batteries in accordance with state law.

The KingKorg has awesome presets; here's how to switch between them. There are a lot of knobs and buttons that change the character of the sound if you're into that sort of thing (lol). Enjoy twisting and pushing them!

Here's a list of the presets in case the display broke or something:

Might as well not have bothered at all.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What you want is the parameter guide. I don't recall the manual being that bad though, it was basically subtractive synthesis 101 as it pertained to the KingKorg.

Also, yes, the oscillators following the VPM oscillators are DWGS.

If you have any questions on the KK, I have hundreds of hours with it and have Asperger's.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Synth IRC is always a happening place to be.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

For anyone that's interested, Uli Behringer is talking about the company's new line of synths on Gearslutz.

Trigger warning: being a 'slutz thread, it has the prerequisite amount of analog dickwaving, fanboys actually using the phrase "the haters" unironically, and people suggesting that polyphonic aftertouch is a valuable addition to a budget synthesizer.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

The King Korg's manual is better than the Electribes, I looked there because they share engines. The main difference between the KK manual and the Electribe parameter list is that the latter doesn't tell you what edit does, or even what oscillators it works on. Usually its distortion or modulation depth or pulse width or something obvious but not always.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is 'edit' what 'control' is on the KK?

E: The parameter guide is available in Japanese, and it doesn't list what each osc's edit knob does, so yeah they will drop the ball in English too.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 31, 2014

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

sliderule posted:

Is 'edit' what 'control' is on the KK?

Yeah, without the second parameter.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I posted this in the iOS music thread too, but the Moog apps are on sale, probably til late tomorrow.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

MockingQuantum posted:

polyphonic aftertouch is a valuable addition to a budget synthesizer.

This is actually, in part, correct. PAT's super badass and it would be nice if there were, at least, a decent, moderately priced controller that had it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sizone posted:

This is actually, in part, correct. PAT's super badass and it would be nice if there were, at least, a decent, moderately priced controller that had it.

I agree in theory, but considering the majority of first-time synth buyers probably couldn't take advantage of PAT it seems like it might not be the best concentration of resources, if that's what they're going for.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
resolution: more robot farts in 2015

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

PIGS AROUND THE WORLD SPROUT WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT, AS WHEELS ON A ROLAND APPEAR IN SIGHT

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

PIGS AROUND THE WORLD SPROUT WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT, AS WHEELS ON A ROLAND APPEAR IN SIGHT

oh my

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
First synth purchase of the new year: an electribe er-1. I liked the ios app so much that I wanted one in hardware. That is the most gameboy sounding tone generator I've run across outside of the gameboy.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That pisses me off. The KingKorg's pulse waves are the least chiptuney pulses I've ever heard. The decimator doesn't even help.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sliderule posted:

That pisses me off. The KingKorg's pulse waves are the least chiptuney pulses I've ever heard. The decimator doesn't even help.

You might be trying for the wrong thing. Try really intense lfo and envelope modulation of the pitch. Though what I'm guessing the electribe's dirtyness is coming from is the 15 y/o low grade dsp tone generation.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

You might be trying for the wrong thing. Try really intense lfo and envelope modulation of the pitch. Though what I'm guessing the electribe's dirtyness is coming from is the 15 y/o low grade dsp tone generation.

Pitch modulation doesn't impart enough character onto the square waves to mask the fact that the raw oscillators aren't the right shape. I have a Kawai K1m that aliases the pitch modulation so dirty, and its lovely pulse wave samples can sound pretty NESlike. But try as I might, the KK's pulse just doesn't sound right.

That said, it's still fun to set LFO1 to square and LFO2 to square+, modulate both to pitch at musical intervals and tempo sync them. Instant arpeggio! Add the real arpeggiator and some portamento and you get some cool arpeggiation with intermittent glide.

Also I was pissed because I thought you meant the NEW Electribe. Although I do see 'CHP' oscillators in the osc list of the new one, so they probably got things straight and added some better pulses.

I think it's funny that they went to the extent of modelling a bunch of filters and provided many types of oscillator configurations, but failed to provide some variation on the raw oscillator shapes. I think the square/pulse wave is the worst offender.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sizone posted:

First synth purchase of the new year: an electribe er-1. I liked the ios app so much that I wanted one in hardware. That is the most gameboy sounding tone generator I've run across outside of the gameboy.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I got mine, since i had no clue what i was getting myself into. Any ER-1 tips for a synth newb?

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Not a synth but it will control my synths:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
So, I know Reddit ain't all bad, but c'mon guys...

Also that Cirklon thing looks rad as hell.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 2, 2015

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Aphex Twin loves them so much he says 'I'm like a shorthand typist on the thing now'

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
holy hell how is it possible for the electribe 2 manual to be this lovely :psyduck:

e: oh i see the thing that actually tells you how to do anything is the "Parameter Guide" which isn't in the box. thanks Korg

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 2, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Power Ambient posted:

Not a synth but it will control my synths:

poo poo drat, that actually looks about right for what a hardware sequencer should be.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

poo poo drat, that actually looks about right for what a hardware sequencer should be.

£999? :downsrim:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If it was affordable, I'd buy it and find fault with it, so yes.

e: I just realized I'm like those anime jerks with their 2D women, but with synths.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I got mine, since i had no clue what i was getting myself into. Any ER-1 tips for a synth newb?

It does, basically 4 things. Analog kicks, analog snares, metallic percussion and noise. Get some practice making beats, read the section in the manual for how the accent button works. Try routing an external sound source to it and either gate that or ring mod it. Be conservative with the motion sequencing, you're probably only going to want to use it on one or two elements per pattern, but do try it with the delay for dub madness. Set up a basic kick/accent pattern and save it to a bunch of slots, then when you build on it you'll have different variations that keep the same beat. Don't forget that there's a triplet beat pattern. The first few times you try to copy or move something, consult the manual because the procedure can be a little odd.

Honestly, there's not really too much to the thing. Like the volca line and a l ot of korg's other recent stuff, it's kind of a one trick pony, but it does that trick well and it's fun to play with.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

e: Didn't see the pictures thread

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 3, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks a bunch for this. I'll definitely try all that out. I always read manuals, but i wish gear came with a "here's neat poo poo you can do" page in common language. I suppose thats what the internet is for though.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

First hardware synth is coming in this week after gear-lusting over the new Electribe and really wanting to add something expressive and analog to the setup:

I'm still building the MFOS Synth, but man is negotiating the BOM a lesson in modern logistics. Definitely making me come up with a course for an assistant through my electronics shop. OH! I have an old Philips oscilloscope sitting in the shop and a mini 10" PA ambient soundsystem, I'll get a video of them running in-tandem next time we run a music night, waaaay fun to have the audio-out run through it, it's how I explain electricity aurally and visually to my customers/clients/students.

On-topic, I got a deal on a NIB Bass Station II for $300 (!), I remember the thread spazzing for a minute a few months ago when a firmware update was released, do any of you have any fun bookmarks with synth-magic weirdness to get out of it? I basically wanted a SH-101 but didn't want to drop a grand to have something to play live. Anything especially special I should do after plugging it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Sitting around on a Saturday night making robot farts, this time with the Analogue Solutions "RED SQUARE".

http://youtu.be/3is9daHy6QY

"I think you'll find it a playful little dish; hints of Moogish warmth yet with a distinct Analogue Solutions tone. Recommended for bass and low end, however don't feel afraid to push it into experimental territory. If you can get past the hiss and noise-floor with a secondary low-pass filter, you'll find it contains a quaint retro charm along side its cold Soviet-Russia inspired interface."