Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Exclamation Marx posted:

Doing faces in different palettes

You should make these to fit as SA avatars at 2x scale. Great work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14166.0
:swoon: Arachne is so good

Scut posted:

You should make these to fit as SA avatars at 2x scale. Great work.

hmm, they crop a little awkwardly

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

I spent yesterday afternoon making everything you see here.

It might just be me being colour-blind, but something in there (either the tiles, the carpet, or both) is sort of optical illusion-y to me. Feels as if it's shifting slightly as I look at it, and it's quite uncomfortable.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Scut posted:

So The Chaos Engine challenged me to make a palette that is the opposite of my usual habits ( i.e. dark on dark with a splash of dark) and this is the result:

Yeah! And after some tweaks I finally figured out how to tackle the dang thing:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Red Mike posted:

It might just be me being colour-blind, but something in there (either the tiles, the carpet, or both) is sort of optical illusion-y to me. Feels as if it's shifting slightly as I look at it, and it's quite uncomfortable.

I've stared at it a few times and I can't see it myself, any idea why that might be for you? :confused:

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

I've stared at it a few times and I can't see it myself, any idea why that might be for you? :confused:

On my work computer, the carpet seems fine. The tiles still sort of ruin my eyes though, I have no idea. It's the light squares that do it on the lower part of the image.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

the chaos engine posted:

Yeah! And after some tweaks I finally figured out how to tackle the dang thing:

Oh man, those tiles are gorgeous.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Noyemi K posted:

It's a combination of having lots of points of tension in the pattern along with a sort of vibration effect similar to having complimentary colours overlaid. Like having green on red. Try softening your corners a bit and try shifting the black to something with less saturation.

So Chaos Engine seems to have taken a liking to my light pastel palette, and after some tweaks I think it's challenging but workable. His original concept slogan for the game was 'Hookshot Heiress' and I ran with that to come up with the idea I mocked up below. Zero gravity dungeon crawl. I'd change the tile aesthetic a bit but I just wanted to get the concept down. You explore asteroid tombs using your grapple that can only take you in a few cardinal directions and must intersect with a wall or enemy or object. The advantage is that you can cross long distances in a single move, the downside is that you might be forced to engage a threat you would prefer to avoid. Scoring could be factored by the number of moves it took to reach a goal.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Scut posted:

It's a combination of having lots of points of tension in the pattern along with a sort of vibration effect similar to having complimentary colours overlaid. Like having green on red. Try softening your corners a bit and try shifting the black to something with less saturation.
Oh, that makes sense. I'll screw with it in a bit then

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tiles rule everything around me

Edit: God drat all my maps look stupid.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 2, 2015

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Scut posted:

So Chaos Engine seems to have taken a liking to my light pastel palette, and after some tweaks I think it's challenging but workable. His original concept slogan for the game was 'Hookshot Heiress' and I ran with that to come up with the idea I mocked up below. Zero gravity dungeon crawl. I'd change the tile aesthetic a bit but I just wanted to get the concept down. You explore asteroid tombs using your grapple that can only take you in a few cardinal directions and must intersect with a wall or enemy or object. The advantage is that you can cross long distances in a single move, the downside is that you might be forced to engage a threat you would prefer to avoid. Scoring could be factored by the number of moves it took to reach a goal.

Which owns, even though I went off on a tangent to make it into a dungeon crawler / (turn-based?) RPG type thing:

I love dynamite knight :3

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Dear thread; it is 3am. What hath I wrought?

Scut fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 4, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
First thing that came to mind

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Could someone help me out with a few questions? I've switched over from paint to photoshop and it feels like I've got to learn all the simple things from scratch again.

Whenever I try and fill in a solid color it goes outside the lines a bit, like here with the line of green pixels above the top line:

Looking for examples of my other problems everything seems to be working now though, so its just that really.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Doakes posted:

Could someone help me out with a few questions? I've switched over from paint to photoshop and it feels like I've got to learn all the simple things from scratch again.

Whenever I try and fill in a solid color it goes outside the lines a bit, like here with the line of green pixels above the top line:

Looking for examples of my other problems everything seems to be working now though, so its just that really.

Turn off anti-aliasing when the paint bucket tool is selected / set tolerance to zero. Gotta be one of those.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Tolerance is 0, where is anti-aliasing?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Button immediately to the right of tolerance, I'd guess.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
:downs: of course, working now thanks!

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
Started doing that whole Pixel Dailies thing and created a blog to document what I'm up to... http://pixeldailies.tumblr.com/

Feedback is super welcome :)

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Watch those grainy, tense backgrounds. They distract from the main art. Frank Bastard is an excellent name.

Jackard I should steal that idea and sell prints and then get sued for copyright infringement and then lose all my earnings but it's still clever as hell.

Scut fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 4, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
My New Year's resolution is to try and learn pixel art because I have nothing but Paint and a mouse, so it seems something obvious to dabble in. I've been saving a lot of pictures from this thread and tumblr to reference and let me just say you guys are awesome, some of the detail you can squeeze out is incredible. I spent way too much time on this mostly as a test to see if I could do at least good lines, and I'm going to try and give it an actual coloring later to test anti-aliasing and all that, but it's just a midtone for now. I probably won't post much in this thread but I'll sure be lurking, keep up the good work!

And Shoehead those were so adorable I had to try myself too. :3:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Scut posted:

Watch those grainy, tense backgrounds. They distract from the main art. Frank Bastard is an excellent name.

Jackard I should steal that idea and sell prints and then get sued for copyright infringement and then lose all my earnings but it's still clever as hell.

Don't worry. There is apparently no such thing as copyright infringement for sprites. Or tilesets.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I've never done animation before and I'm trying for a really basic 10-frame walk cycle based on rotoscoping.

Thoughts?

ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

zolthorg posted:

Don't worry. There is apparently no such thing as copyright infringement for sprites. Or tilesets.

That came across a bit passive aggressive... :jerkbag:

Anyway, started messing about with my last prototype again. Not sure where it's going to go - I started on some lava for the pixel dailies, very WIP, but whatever...

ExtraNoise posted:

I've never done animation before and I'm trying for a really basic 10-frame walk cycle based on rotoscoping.

Thoughts?

Looks pretty drat good to me - there's definitely a frame just after his right arm jumps back that shows the loop, but it is subtle.

Is it for a bigger project or just a test?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Anyway, started messing about with my last prototype again. Not sure where it's going to go - I started on some lava for the pixel dailies, very WIP, but whatever...

Sweet lava! Very manageable from an animation perspective yet clearly shows it is hot as hell. I'm guessing the 'lavafall' is a placeholder still because it's jarring to the eyes. Maybe make it look almost static? Like it's oozing down. Also the tiles above the lava pool are perfect candidates for steam/vapour wisps to curl around.

ExtraNoise posted:

Thoughts?

ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

Aneurexorcyst is right, this is pretty drat good to start with. There's one jerky frame, and depending on what the context is that you are using it in, you might want to make the feet be on the same level (like if the POV is directly from the side). Try playing with your first and last frames (assuming that's where the jerky part resides) and I'm sure you'll smooth it out.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Scut posted:

Sweet lava! Very manageable from an animation perspective yet clearly shows it is hot as hell. I'm guessing the 'lavafall' is a placeholder still because it's jarring to the eyes. Maybe make it look almost static? Like it's oozing down. Also the tiles above the lava pool are perfect candidates for steam/vapour wisps to curl around.
Yeah, super placeholder - wrong speed, wrong colours, and wrong pixel placement. All wrong!

Yeah, wee vapour wisps would be cool - will look into adding them.

Here's my effort for today's pixel daily:

I was trying to place both gifs into one image - couldn't work out how to do it - anyone have ideas?

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 7, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I decided to (heavy airquotes) "upgrade" my avatar on a whim.

Anything jump out at anybody as being outlandishly stupid before I make the change? I guess other than the neckhole which turned out to be the bane of my existence?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I reckon it'd look better if the border were the same pixelwidth as the art.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

MikeJF posted:

I reckon it'd look better if the border were the same pixelwidth as the art.

?

edit: Yeah, I like that better.

edit2: gently caress it, here we go :spooky:

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 8, 2015

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Another stab from me for the pixel dailies...

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I've been recently spending my off minutes putting together a little tileset - maybe for a sprite pack? The unity asset store (2d) is super empty and devoid of anything good. I figure a tileset, chracter/enemy sprites, and a little bit of UI? I dunno.

My first tileset is all 8x8, 4 color GBC palette

Jewel
May 2, 2009

That is super cute and I love it dddamn. Brings back vibes of.. Something. Maybe Link To The Past (but obviously way more lowres). Could also be awakening but I didn't play that as much so I don't know why I'd think of that. Either way cute as heck A+

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Link'S Awakening

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Coldrice, those are looking awesome.

I did a couple of Pixel Dailies this month:
Gargoyle:

Pantone 16 - Your mileage and eye strain may vary heavily depending on monitors:

I think this was 12 of the 16 colors, then the brightest green highlight is my own addition.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Coldrice posted:

I've been recently spending my off minutes putting together a little tileset - maybe for a sprite pack? The unity asset store (2d) is super empty and devoid of anything good. I figure a tileset, chracter/enemy sprites, and a little bit of UI? I dunno.

My first tileset is all 8x8, 4 color GBC palette

I've been trying to get mine in some sort of organised state for ages now. Yours is looking awesome! Were your trees not tileing right on the left edge of the screen or something?

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Shoehead posted:

I've been trying to get mine in some sort of organised state for ages now. Yours is looking awesome! Were your trees not tileing right on the left edge of the screen or something?

Nah I just stopped tiling :p making a mockup took wayyyy too long and next time I want to get someone to make it for me

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Another pixel daily... starting to get more confident, but I'm still clueless on most forms of shading.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Try picking an existing palette (Arne's 16 colour palette is popular for a reason) and shading with that. Having a small set of colours to work with can help prevent getting confused in a modern RGB picker. Try to imagine a light source in 3D space and assign highlight and shadow with that source in mind. For instance your bomberman's background foot is getting more highlight than the forground foot.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Another pixel daily... starting to get more confident, but I'm still clueless on most forms of shading.

This looks really good! I should really attempt a few pixel dailies myself to be honest.

In relation to the picture, I have a question; in what context is banding acceptable to use/get away with? I noticed there's a few bits in Aneurxorcyst's picture (Bottom lower corner of the head) where (or at least what i assume to be) banding is used, but i don't think it detracts from it in this case. A lot of tutorials i have read up on tell me to basically avoid it where ever possible, so im wondering what others in this thread think of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Chipp Zanuff posted:

This looks really good! I should really attempt a few pixel dailies myself to be honest.

In relation to the picture, I have a question; in what context is banding acceptable to use/get away with? I noticed there's a few bits in Aneurxorcyst's picture (Bottom lower corner of the head) where (or at least what i assume to be) banding is used, but i don't think it detracts from it in this case. A lot of tutorials i have read up on tell me to basically avoid it where ever possible, so im wondering what others in this thread think of it?

Single pixel banding doesn't count imo. I use it all the time to make small poo poo look shaded, I also use it to do AA. My personal rule of thumb is: If the banding looks bad (because basically it makes things look visually off) gently caress with the edges of it, if it doesn't detract from what the image is trying to convey, who gives a heck.

CASE IN POINT:

There's hecka banding in here. I started out addressing it on the first frame of the bounce but since it goes so fast it hardly registers to me so I decided not to bother. Some pixel artist might look at it and say something about the banding. Most people *playing the game* won't care.