Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

objectively, 3 hots, a cot and a mop is a better shake than the average non-college-bound American 18 year old is lookin at in 2014

reminder: the us military is the largest welfare program in america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yes those poor struggling aerospace and weapon system companies need all the help that they can get

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

reminder: the us military is the largest corporate welfare program in america

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's both

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if your parents know someone like the governor or a congresscritter then you can get a guaranteed spot there for college since they're each given a few discretionary admissions a year #lifehacks

my cousin ran his campaign and does something fairly high up now so i guess i know who to contact if i ever find jesus

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I used to write software for the Navy as a contractor (well, sub contractor). While out at FNMOC I attended the XO's briefing, sort of on a lark none of it really mattered to me but I was curious how they were using our software (poorly).

One of the bullets in the briefing was a girl giving him a rundown of the local weather for that day. I like to think that was her only job, watching the weather report in the morning and parroting it back to this dude.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

ADINSX posted:

I used to write software for the Navy as a contractor (well, sub contractor). While out at FNMOC I attended the XO's briefing, sort of on a lark none of it really mattered to me but I was curious how they were using our software (poorly).

One of the bullets in the briefing was a girl giving him a rundown of the local weather for that day. I like to think that was her only job, watching the weather report in the morning and parroting it back to this dude.

otherwise known as a 'weather girl'

I worked for a few tv networks fresh outta school. Sometimes the internet would fail and I'd have a hysterical weather girl yelling at me to get the internet working because she wouldn't be able to do the weather without it.

Turns out they just look it up from theweatherchannel.ca and tell the chyron dude what to put where.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ADINSX posted:

sub contractor

LOL!!!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Uber drivers beware: Ottawa bylaw officers will be looking for you.

A City of Ottawa official says extra undercover officers will be deployed on New Year’s Eve to crack down on unlicensed taxi drivers who may be trying to make a few extra bucks on one of the busiest party nights of the year.

Drivers could face $800 fines for being an unlicensed driver and operating an illegal taxi, said Susan Jones, Ottawa’s manager for emergency and protective services. She said drivers could also be compromising their own insurance policies.

Officers will be monitoring the Uber Internet application and booking rides all night long, Jones said.

“Drivers may not be aware that they’ve actually driven an officer tonight but we’ll follow up with charges.”

Jones said officers are already monitoring Uber “on a daily basis.”

She urged Ottawa residents to find another way to get around town.

“Be patient. Take advantage of our free transit.”

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pinterest Mom posted:

Uber drivers beware: Ottawa bylaw officers will be looking for you.

A City of Ottawa official says extra undercover officers will be deployed on New Year’s Eve to crack down on unlicensed taxi drivers who may be trying to make a few extra bucks on one of the busiest party nights of the year.

Drivers could face $800 fines for being an unlicensed driver and operating an illegal taxi, said Susan Jones, Ottawa’s manager for emergency and protective services. She said drivers could also be compromising their own insurance policies.

Officers will be monitoring the Uber Internet application and booking rides all night long, Jones said.

“Drivers may not be aware that they’ve actually driven an officer tonight but we’ll follow up with charges.”

Jones said officers are already monitoring Uber “on a daily basis.”

She urged Ottawa residents to find another way to get around town.

“Be patient. Take advantage of our free transit.”

Good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Criminalize uber

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
uber is incredibly puzzling.

i'd think each and every city would be easily ticketing them as a revenue source, or at least more upset with someone flagrantly breaking their laws.
i'd think people, particularly drunk revelers, would be wary of using such a service after hearing about cases of passenger assault.

its really troubling since they're setting a precedent for "do thing first, then use money generated to fight legal battles over the laws you just broke", as well as working to normalize mechanical turk-ing at the expense of actual jobs and benefits.

it was funny at first, but every once in a while i have to ask, wtf how come these guys arent getting their poo poo kicked in?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

crusader_complex posted:

i'd think each and every city would be easily ticketing them as a revenue source, or at least more upset with someone flagrantly breaking their laws.
i'd think people, particularly drunk revelers, would be wary of using such a service after hearing about cases of passenger assault.

its really troubling since they're setting a precedent for "do thing first, then use money generated to fight legal battles over the laws you just broke", as well as working to normalize mechanical turk-ing at the expense of actual jobs and benefits.

it was funny at first, but every once in a while i have to ask, wtf how come these guys arent getting their poo poo kicked in?

white people make the laws, white people like uber.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

white people like cheaper taxis driven by other white people, usually in nicer cars

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Fabricated posted:

my sister-in-law's brother
why not just say your husband?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

why not just say your husband?

presumably trying to say sister in law's brother in law

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

crusader_complex posted:

most city councils and mayors are pretty practical people and tend toward "OK let's make this work" and hold off on hardcore enforcement while attempting to craft legislation to directly regulate uber and such. the problem they keep running into with uber is that uber is not negotiating in good faith at all and any regulations crafted will be ignored the instant it becomes slightly more profitable to do so. that's when the enforcement wheels start to turn and the city leaders don't want to attack the drivers (who are their constituents) but instead go directly after uber. the problem with that is instead of just writing tickets with instant results the cases have to slowly work their way up through the court system and uber can afford very very good lawyers who can delay things absurd amounts of time while they also attempt to get new laws passed which they will then use to reset the clock before breaking them as well.

eventually there will be rulings saying "jesus loving christ YES uber is a taxi company and has to abide by all the rules or gtfo" but for now investor storytime lives on.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lightbulbs are technology

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shifty Pony posted:

most city councils and mayors are pretty practical people and tend toward "OK let's make this work" and hold off on hardcore enforcement while attempting to craft legislation to directly regulate uber and such. the problem they keep running into with uber is that uber is not negotiating in good faith at all and any regulations crafted will be ignored the instant it becomes slightly more profitable to do so. that's when the enforcement wheels start to turn and the city leaders don't want to attack the drivers (who are their constituents) but instead go directly after uber. the problem with that is instead of just writing tickets with instant results the cases have to slowly work their way up through the court system and uber can afford very very good lawyers who can delay things absurd amounts of time while they also attempt to get new laws passed which they will then use to reset the clock before breaking them as well.

eventually there will be rulings saying "jesus loving christ YES uber is a taxi company and has to abide by all the rules or gtfo" but for now investor storytime lives on.

more succinctly: the gov moves slowly and takes a long time to gain inertia on anything. lord help you if you're in the way once they're moving though

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

otherwise known as a 'weather girl'

I worked for a few tv networks fresh outta school. Sometimes the internet would fail and I'd have a hysterical weather girl yelling at me to get the internet working because she wouldn't be able to do the weather without it.

Turns out they just look it up from theweatherchannel.ca and tell the chyron dude what to put where.

ya except they're broadcasting that to a town of people who might be too lazy to check it themselves. This was just for a single guy (and anyone else in the briefing)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Necc0 posted:

more succinctly: the gov moves slowly and takes a long time to gain inertia on anything. lord help you if you're in the way once they're moving though

you mean momentum. didn't you ever watch bill nye

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my teacher fast forwarded through the intro every time while the class booed so no i missed that important bit

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

my teacher fast forwarded through the intro every time while the class booed so no i missed that important bit

i wish i could fast forward through your bits

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ultramiraculous posted:

i wish i could fast forward through your bits

text me

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/31/uber-adds-safety-checklist-to-app-after-drivers-charged-with-sex-assault/
Uber Adds Safety Checklist To App After Drivers Charged With Sex Assault
December 31, 2014 8:44 PM

quote:

(CBS) – The Chicago operators of Uber have added a safety checklist to their hail-a-ride smartphone app in response to high-profile sexual assault accusations against Uber drivers, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.
So far, the “safe ride checklist” is available to app users only in Boston and Chicago. An Uber driver in each city was charged in December with raping a female customer.

“We are being responsive,” Chris Taylor, the general manager of Uber in Chicago, said Wednesday. “Given there have been some accusations . . . we want to make sure everyone knows how to use the platform in the safest way possible.”

Under the app change, implemented just in time for New Year’s Eve, a driver photo and license plate number are displayed. An accompanying message urges customers to verify that the photo and license plate match their driver.

“Educating people and providing tips on safety is a very responsible — doing nothing would be weak,” Taylor said when asked if the change to the app did enough.
Customers first noticed the change to the app on Tuesday, the same day a Chicago driver charged with sexually assaulting an intoxicated customer was ordered held on $500,000 bail by a Cook County judge.
Prosecutors say that in early on Nov. 16, a 22-year-old woman ordered a driver using Uber X, a budget-minded service that costs less because it summons contract drivers who use their own vehicles.
Maxime Fohounhedo, 30, who shared an Uber account with his wife, showed up to give the woman a ride, prosecutors said. But instead of taking the woman home, he drove her to his apartment after she fell asleep in his black four-door vehicle.

When she came to, she found herself on a dark leather couch with Fohounhedo on top of her and her pants and underpants down to her ankles, prosecutors said.
Uber spokeswoman Jennifer Mullin said Tuesday that Fohounhedo was removed as an Uber driver as soon as officials at the company were alerted about the alleged attack.
On Wednesday, Taylor emphasized that the company conducts rigorous background checks, running prospective drivers through local, state and federal law enforcement databases.

He also pointed to an email account, supportchicago@uber.com, which is monitored 24 hours a day and allows riders to share feedback.
Frequent Uber X user Rachel Hoge said she first noticed the safety checklist when she ordered a car on Tuesday.
Hoge, 28, of Ukranian Village, said she’s “never had a concern for her safety” using Uber X. But she sees the checklist as a positive step made by the company.

“I think it’s great they are reminding people to be alert,” she said.
When asked if the Safe Ride Checklist goes far enough to ensure rider safety, she suggested that there will always be an element of chance that is out of everyone’s hands.
“It’s not going to deter someone from doing a certain act if that’s . . . why they [became] an Uber driver,” Hoge said.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
mmm yes this driver looks like a rapist

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

crusader_complex posted:

some cities are ticketing them, some aren't. depends on who's in charge, some pro-business mayors are coming out on uber's side. either way, drivers aren't being scared off, because uber has promised to pay their fines and stuff

a lot of people see all taxi drivers as sketchy for some reason (probably because it's a traditionally poor, "ethnic" job), and they don't regard uber the same way yet, blaming any rapes on a few bad apples. also they loving love the convenience. either way they're getting so totally shitfaced they pass out in a complete stranger's car, so safety isn't the primary factor in their decision-making process

personally i'm just waiting for the flip side of this. driving a taxi is one of the most dangerous jobs there is, with an extremely high rate of assaults and murders. and as little as uber does to protect customers, it does even less to protect drivers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

Criminalize uber

South Korea did

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

crusader_complex posted:

its really troubling since they're setting a precedent for "do thing first, then use money generated to fight legal battles over the laws you just broke"

this really pisses me off because it's now how things work with anything else, if you make money illegally it gets seized and you have to figure out some other way to pay for your defense and even if it's successful you may never get it back

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/12/31/uber-adds-safety-checklist-to-app-after-drivers-charged-with-sex-assault/

there were actual cases of people with bad background checks driving ubers, right? i'm calling bullshit on them even spending the...$50?...to get even a scummy background check.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

in India they didn't bother at all until after a rash of assaults because the laws said they didn't have to run livery drivers through background checks

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
don't worry guys uber will just make the drivers pay for the check and they'll just keep it on file without really looking at it.

if there are problems the free market will sort them out

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

everything that uber should be responsible for being passed to someone else

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

uber is just there to introduce you to a new friend who happens to be willing to give you a ride, right now, for gas money

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Why you should not use Uber (the car ride brokering company).

It requires passengers to run a nonfree program (an app). As always, a nonfree program tramples its users' freedom.
I'm not talking about the software that Uber itself runs; if Uber runs nonfree software, that tramples Uber's freedom, and Uber deserves our sympathy for that. The injustice here is that Uber requires its users to use special software and digital services that attack their freedom in various ways.

That app requires running other nonfree software (in the case of Android, Google Play).
It requires you to let Big Brother track you, with a portable phone.
Uber requires you to identify yourself, both to order a cab and to pay.
Uber also records where you get the cab and where you go with it.
The US government can get those records, and any lawsuit (such as a divorce lawsuit) can subpoena them.
Uber's clever policy of not being directly responsible for anything that goes wrong extends to harassment by drivers, and its practice of identifying passengers enables drivers to find out who the passenger is. This makes some women scared to use Uber.
This problem comes directly out of the practices listed above that mistreat all users of Uber.

Uber is an unregulated near-monopoly, so it can cut rates for drivers arbitrarily.
Drivers are starting to complain that they're left with little money for their work.

Uber drivers are getting shafted; Uber can arbitrarily cut their pay, and they have to work 15 hours a day. Some are trying to unionize.

We should not accept the whitewash label of "sharing economy" for companies like Uber. A more accurate term is "piecework subcontractor economy".

Uber plans to do away with human cab drivers.

It would be easy for a non-plutocratic government to prohibit this, and that's what every country ought to do, unless/until every person gets an adequate basic income so people don't need to be employed.

Uber executives and staff have stalked passengers in various ways.
If you take an ordinary taxi and pay cash, it will generate no records associated with you — except in New York City where the government might apply face recognition to identify your photo in real time.

Uber can track who has a one-night stand. In fact, it did so.
Journalist Sarah Lacy writes about how an Uber executive said he would punish her critical journalism by using lies to smear her family life. It was the culmination of years of contempt for the company's drivers and passengers.
By the way, I don't see anything wrong in offering taxi rides driven by attractive models of either sex. Since I believe sexual services should be legal, I would not object if they offered to fly you while driving you. However, this need not and should not be accompanied by Uber-style contempt towards women (and men).

With real taxis, you can flag one on the street or phone in any fashion; you can pay cash; you can be anonymous.

Beware of thinking of Uber as an one more option in addition to real taxis. At the moment, that's true, but if Uber is a big success, real taxis could disappear.

Then what will you do, if you don't want to tell Big Brother where you are going?

To recover our privacy and make democracy safe, we need to redesign digital systems so that they do not collect information about people in general. First step, don't help any new ones gain a foothold.

Because I reject technology that mistreats me, I will never order or pay for an Uber car. I hope there will always be taxis I can use. But what about you?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As a sovereign citizen, I

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dan Lyons writing for vallywag even worse than I thought it was going to be

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

As a Millennial I posted:

Uber can track who has a one-night stand. In fact, it did so.
Journalist Sarah Lacy writes about how an Uber executive said he would punish her critical journalism by using lies to smear her family life. It was the culmination of years of contempt for the company's drivers and passengers.
By the way, I don't see anything wrong in offering taxi rides driven by attractive models of either sex. Since I believe sexual services should be legal, I would not object if they offered to fly you while driving you. However, this need not and should not be accompanied by Uber-style contempt towards women (and men).

well that was a weird and completely unnecessary tangent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
gently caress uber and gently caress richard stallman

• Locked thread