Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The fcr actually seems to be pretty ok with not being winterized, at least for one season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

hot sauce posted:

That truck owns

I'll post some more pics when the flatbed is all built and stained and varnished tomorrow/this weekend. (with a YZ80 on it)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Painfully erect right now.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2015-ktm-freeride-e-sm/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I was just at the Alta/BRD unveiling, and that's on the short list for really awesome, dumb purchases once it has ABS on it.

Also while that front brake probably works ok, it's dramatically undersized for a sumo front.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
So, I just bought a DRZ400SM. How many of the ThumperTalk 'recommended fixes' are actually necessary?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Related DRZ talk, my front brake squeaks when I slow to a stop and its annoying as poo poo. The pads still have plenty of life, should I just replace them?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kuffs posted:

So, I just bought a DRZ400SM. How many of the ThumperTalk 'recommended fixes' are actually necessary?

I did the countershaft nut loctite for peace of mind. I also did the manual cam chain tensioner for the same reason, although apparently the amount of cam chain tensioner fallures from 06 on are next to nothing.

The interior loctite bits I didnt do :yolo:

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

kuffs posted:

What year? I have an 07 (bought new) and have done not a single one.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
It's an 09, 500 miles on it. Looks absolutely bone stock from what I can tell. Even had the original 08(!) tires on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do the cs sprocket nut fix, afaik they never fixed that because it technically shouldn't be a problem, but sometimes is. Manual cam chain tensioner if it makes you feel better. I never did any of the internal stuff, over two different drz's.

Ultimately, read up on the why's behind the fixes and decide if they're worth it for you.

I mean, I did have a primary nut let go on me, but it was on my rv90 :dings:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I promise you if you put red loctite on your CS sprocket it's not going ANYWHERE. I had a hell of a time breaking the thing loose on my last one even with heat applied.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I promise you if you put red loctite on your CS sprocket it's not going ANYWHERE. I had a hell of a time breaking the thing loose on my last one even with heat applied.

When you say "heat applied" what do you mean? Blow torch? Stick of dynamite? I was thinking of doing this over the winter, but what happens when I need to get it off and I don't have a full garage at my disposal? Take it to a mechanic and say "how much to get this off"?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Take it to mechanic, say "replace cs sprocket" and get quote for the job without mentioning that its loctited.

Profit?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

epalm posted:

When you say "heat applied" what do you mean? Blow torch? Stick of dynamite? I was thinking of doing this over the winter, but what happens when I need to get it off and I don't have a full garage at my disposal? Take it to a mechanic and say "how much to get this off"?

I just mean a little butane torch. It wasn't that bad but I don't think it'd ever come off if it wasn't heated. You definitely don't need to get the metal glowing, just need to melt the loctite. They recommend above 550 degrees Fahrenheit.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Christ, I just put a little bit of the blue stuff on and I could barely remove the fucker. Red seems like something to use if you sincerely hate yourself.

Aaaand while we're on the subject of how DRZs love to shed their parts/break poo poo randomly. I managed to crack my second license plate in about 10kmi. Would rubber washers help it from vibrating itself to death?

I caught it early this time, but the last one would have ended up in the road if it wasn't for a ziptie I had on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
More zip ties is less vibes through to the plate. Zip ties only!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

My bike is 5% loctite, 95% zip ties. Is there any other way?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I backed mine with an old license applied for temp plate. Never cracked again

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009
Alternatively if you wanted to do the really :science: way you could drill a small hole at the end of the crack and it might be fine to leave the stock screws in.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Is there any reason I shouldn't lower my DRZ's rear brake lever a bit by cutting the little adjustment bolt a bit with my dremel? I'll post a picture of what I mean when it's not dark out.

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009
Can someone tell me what the contents of the DRZ toolbox (that comes on the back of the new models) are? About to go on a trip and wondering what Suzuki thinks are necessary tools

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Bubba posted:

Can someone tell me what the contents of the DRZ toolbox (that comes on the back of the new models) are? About to go on a trip and wondering what Suzuki thinks are necessary tools

No idea, but I guess 8/10/12/14mm sockets, a few zipties, and some loctite should do well enough. Spare bolts if you have them.
If you want to carry a shitload of things consider carrying a pair of tubes and whatever tools you need to get the wheels/tires off.

e: How long of a trip? Honestly other than poo poo rattling off I wouldn't worry about much. Maybe bring a small handpump so if you catch a nail in a tire you can limp back home.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 1, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have my old DRZ kit out in the garage, I can take a gander

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Marxalot posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't lower my DRZ's rear brake lever a bit by cutting the little adjustment bolt a bit with my dremel? I'll post a picture of what I mean when it's not dark out.

I was able to adjust mine quite a bit without cutting anything. If you're looking at the ThumperTalk post with the guy cutting the adjustment screw, I honestly don't know what he was gaining by cutting that bolt.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

DRZ's are 90% zip ties anyways.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

DRZ's are 90% zip ties anyways.

And 10% loctite

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Deeters posted:

I was able to adjust mine quite a bit without cutting anything. If you're looking at the ThumperTalk post with the guy cutting the adjustment screw, I honestly don't know what he was gaining by cutting that bolt.

I haven't seen it. I just looked at mine to see if it could be adjusted, and noticed the only reason it can't go down any more is because the bottom end of the adjustment bolt itself is in the way.

e: pics

e2: It doesn't need that much adjustment, but as it is covering the brake for more than a few seconds is a bit difficult if you're sitting close to the tank.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 1, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just make sure you have full range of motion and it doesnt bottom out prematurely, limiting braking power, and you'll be fine.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I was able to get my pedal well below the plane of the peg without cutting anything and I'm about 90% sure that mine looks just like that (I won't see my bike for another few days, otherwise I'd check). You have tried adjusting it, right? All I had to do was loosen the nut that's on top of the bracket, then turn the hex up under the rubber boot until it was at the level I wanted.

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have my old DRZ kit out in the garage, I can take a gander

That'd be fantastic. There's a hardware store down the road that's closing down, and it would be neat to pick up what I need at half price. In other news, I recently picked up my DRZ. It has the gaudiest sticker job I've ever seen:

lovely phone pic but the point is that ROCKSTAR ENERGY seems to have taken a giant poo poo all over it.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on the new biek. Add even more stickers so it looks like a hellaflush fender.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Deeters posted:

I was able to get my pedal well below the plane of the peg without cutting anything and I'm about 90% sure that mine looks just like that (I won't see my bike for another few days, otherwise I'd check). You have tried adjusting it, right? All I had to do was loosen the nut that's on top of the bracket, then turn the hex up under the rubber boot until it was at the level I wanted.

I didn't know that piece even moved. It doesn't seem to move much though.

I'll have to mess with it more later.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

SmokedSquid posted:

That'd be fantastic. There's a hardware store down the road that's closing down, and it would be neat to pick up what I need at half price. In other news, I recently picked up my DRZ. It has the gaudiest sticker job I've ever seen:

lovely phone pic but the point is that ROCKSTAR ENERGY seems to have taken a giant poo poo all over it.

My rear end hurts just looking at the stock seat.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
A month in and I am properly inducted into the world of dirt bike ownership. I discovered that one of my seat bolts is missing.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

JB50 posted:

My rear end hurts just looking at the stock seat.

Why? The stock seats are fine, as far as dirtbike seats go.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Yeah, after doing a few 200+ mile days, the stock seat isn't all that bad. It could be better but that better exists on a new bike, not in any of the aftermarket options.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

kuffs posted:

A month in and I am properly inducted into the world of dirt bike ownership. I discovered that one of my seat bolts is missing.

Just hit up fastenal's website and order $10 worth of extras while you're there. It's what I did.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

kuffs posted:

A fender bolt is also missing and a wire has come loose also making the turn signals reversed.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Razzled posted:

Yeah, after doing a few 200+ mile days, the stock seat isn't all that bad. It could be better but that better exists on a new bike, not in any of the aftermarket options.

The Seat Concepts low is more comfortable than the stock seat and their high seat is like sitting on down pillows in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
I rode on a stock DRZ seat, with a sheepskin cover I made the day before, from Porland Or to Monterey Ca for the GP race. I did this straight through stopping for gas, food and short breaks only (stock tank) and it ended up taking somewhere around 24 hours. No one should do this, it is a bad idea. I bought an Airhawk at the race for the ride home. This improved the situation, but only slightly. On the plus side the memory reminds me on normal rides that I have nothing to complain about.

PolishHero fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 9, 2015

• Locked thread