Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Argus is importing polar bears and smoke monsters as we speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Smoak monsters.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

toomanyninjas posted:

Smoak monsters.

I approve.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That's such a goofy loving thing to wear in the middle of the day to a coffee shop. She's toats hot, but jesus.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Drifter posted:

That's such a goofy loving thing to wear in the middle of the day to a coffee shop. She's toats hot, but jesus.
Not so goofy in NYC or LA.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.

Drifter posted:

That whole scene was kind of goofy. A trivia night in the middle of the day where the main characters were chugging coffee? It seemed like a terrible trivia night.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Wasn't Iris like drumming that event up as "Nightlife" too?

Central City is full of nerds

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So many nerds.

Josh Lyman posted:

Not so goofy in NYC or LA.

I live in LA. It's still loving goofy. Show just throws cheesecake out there, except at least with the dudes they're working out or fighting, or being sexy David Ramsey. :allears:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 1, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

Wasn't Iris like drumming that event up as "Nightlife" too?

Central City is full of nerds

I guess they didn't want two shows where one of the major hangouts is a bar or club

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
God forbid 20 somethings hang out in bars

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They go to a bar later in the episode.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

I thought the dress was the result of a miscommunication/missunderstanding and Felicity thought she was going out to some fancy bar from there.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly EBR looks like she could have fit the Dinah Lance/Black Canary role a lot better than Katie Cassidy both physically and acting-wise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...No, probably not.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Drifter posted:

So many nerds.

I live in LA. It's still loving goofy. Show just throws cheesecake out there, except at least with the dudes they're working out or fighting, or being sexy David Ramsey. :allears:

LA definitely has parts where people overdress throughout the whole day.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

LA definitely has parts where people overdress throughout the whole day.

And we spare them a second glance before we dismiss them. Also, I know people like to dis Cassidy, but she's a fine actress and certainly better than most of the other women her age on the show, especially Caity Lotz. Of course, the CW Bodysquad isn't exactly a powerhouse of good actresses.
CW should just invest in Gina Carano and send her to acting school if you ask me. :colbert:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Drifter posted:

Also, I know people like to dis Cassidy, but she's a fine actress and certainly better than most of the other women her age on the show, especially Caity Lotz.

She is a good actress, but the way her character is written is very annoying and shallow, which reflects poorly on her.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Drunk Laurel was awesome. And Current Laurel is cool, but she's only being written 16 seconds of screentime per episode.

I think the writers are kinda fudging a lot with the characters, honestly. Ollie's just some stupid broody boring motherfucker these days - his voice is creeping into Christian Bale levels of lovely, blahing grimdark superhero harumphery. Black Driver J.Diggs and Felicity are the only two slightly well-rounded main characters on the show but even they're suffering - Diggle more than Felicity because at she's at least got a whole other show to pander to nerds on.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 2, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Laurel's been the problem, not Cassidy. They just had a bad character arch, or no character arch, for her to start. She was in the dark about Ollie for too long and then the Merlyns and Sara just complicated things and then she got drunk. It was a mess. But that's fixable and I think they're on the right track. And there's no reason to be hypothetically messing with what does work like Felicity.

I'm not a big fan of the Felicity/Oliver thing. I don't really mind going there or not going there the weird half assed way they jumped head first into it and then pulled back and turned it from "Felicity has a crush and Ollie admires her" to "unrequited true love" in 1 or 2 episodes was a bit much. But I guess that was some kind of response to the fanbase? They probably would have been better off just flipping off the weirdos like Supernatural does. It doesn't seem to harm them.

Ollie's been an rear end in a top hat but I think that's intentional and I'm fine with it. It puts him more in the brooding Batman role as so many foils like Bart, Roy, Laurel, and Ray pop up. He's the dark, dickish grounding force and Felicity and Diggle will have to eventually kick his rear end into not being such a dick. The fact that Thea is now an issue will probably play heavily into Oliver's whole "I can't be Oliver Queen and The Arrow" theory.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

STAC Goat posted:

Ollie's been an rear end in a top hat but I think that's intentional and I'm fine with it. It puts him more in the brooding Batman role as so many foils like Bart, Roy, Laurel, and Ray pop up. He's the dark, dickish grounding force and Felicity and Diggle will have to eventually kick his rear end into not being such a dick. The fact that Thea is now an issue will probably play heavily into Oliver's whole "I can't be Oliver Queen and The Arrow" theory.

Aside from maybe five episodes in season 1, he's never had to be 'Oliver Queen AND the Arrow'. That's never been an issue. He's just getting more and more one note as I guess he loses more and more things while still keeping everything around him the same...or something. He's not a grounding force. Diggle and Felicity are. How many MORE times are they going to have to kick Ollie into not being a dick? Blah.

And don't get me wrong, I love Ray and I hope to god he stays.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

STAC Goat posted:

That's basically my problem with it: it makes him too much like Batman.

I liked it when he wasn't refraining from killing bad guys in Season 1, because then at least he had something that was different than Bruce Wayne. He was an actual vigilante, as in he followed his own moral compass and didn't give a poo poo about others or the law, and it put him at significant odds with law enforcement and his teammates which added tension. It also gave him an actual reason to be a dick to people: he saw himself as a bad person and didn't want people to get too close to him. Really, when Season 1 Ollie said the island changed him, you actually believed it because he went from a wussy trust fund kid to a killer.

Now though he's a dick for no reason. Sure, he has to manage two different lives, but so does Bruce Wayne and he's way more charismatic than Ollie (not to mention actually competent as a CEO).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When was the last time Oliver Queen did anything at all? Episode 1 of this season? The only time he isn't the Arrow is for guilting his sister into spending time with him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

When was the last time Oliver Queen did anything at all? Episode 1 of this season? The only time he isn't the Arrow is for guilting his sister into spending time with him.

"Thea wouldn't lie to me. Who would lie to their family like that?"

...........meanwhile at Oliver's...
"Hey Thea, it's me, Ollie. *lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies *
*lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies *
*lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies *"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well to be fair now he really has told her everything except that he's the arrow. He even told her he knew Merlyn was alive and in Starling.

Next episode: "Speedy, I've been keeping one other secret from you, and I want us to have a healthy relationship, so I need to tell you the entire truth. And before I tell you, I'm sorry I never told you before now."

"What is it, Ollie?"

"Barry Allen is the meta human known as the Flash."

greatn fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 2, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Drifter posted:

"Thea wouldn't lie to me. Who would lie to their family like that?"

...........meanwhile at Oliver's...
"Hey Thea, it's me, Ollie. *lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies *
*lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies *"

Hey, if he tells Thea he's the Arrow, it could put her life in danger. You know, like she might find herself the brainwashed protege of a mass murderer or kidnapped by a psychotic super-soldier or see her mother murdered in front of her or have her romantic relationship destroyed or something terrible like that.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

greatn posted:

Well to be fair now he really has told her everything except that he's the arrow. He even told her he knew Merlyn was alive and in Starling.

Next episode: "Speedy, I've been keeping one other secret from you, and I want us to have a healthy relationship, so I need to tell you the entire truth. And before I tell you, I'm sorry I never told you before now."

"What is it, Ollie?"

"Barry Allen is the meta human known as the Flash."

"PS, I'm the reason Roy cheated on you.

PPS, you are a murderer and there may be a League of Assassins out to kill you."

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

jscolon2.0 posted:

"PS, I'm the reason Roy cheated on you.

PPS, you are a murderer and there may be a League of Assassins out to kill you."

PPPS, Also I tried my best but Roy is worse than useless and Ras is really pissed at your father over that poo poo he pulled and he has no qualms with hurting you to to get to him so, good luck with that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

David D. Davidson posted:

PPPS, Also I tried my best but Roy is worse than useless and Ras is really pissed at your father over that poo poo he pulled and he has no qualms with hurting you to to get to him so, good luck with that.

PPPPS, I almost got the family business back but my friend Felicity accidentally gave the other bidder access to all our inside information and he renamed the last connection we had to our dead parents' legacy.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
PPPPPPS: The code to the basement door in your club is 1234.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
PPPPPPPS: After banging the DJ you should get yourself checked out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

PPPPS, I almost got the family business back but my friend Felicity accidentally gave the other bidder access to all our inside information and he renamed the last connection we had to our dead parents' legacy.

I sure wish you weren't having a hissy fit last season and chose to sign the documents instead of costing us billions and our family legacy. Oh well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I sure wish you weren't having a hissy fit last season and chose to sign the documents instead of costing us billions and our family legacy. Oh well.

The Queen legacy was done with once his mom was convicted of collaborating with the Earthquake machine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She wasn't convicted though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Drifter posted:

The Queen legacy was done with once his mom was convicted of collaborating with the Earthquake machine.

Also she was about to become mayor before she quit the race.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also she was about to become mayor before she quit the race.

I miss Brother Blood. His only crime was caring too much...and the killing, sure, but he really, really cared a whole lot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oliver and Thea are kind of even on how much their myopia has contributed to destroying their family legacy and how much they're lying their asses off to each other. Thea had some moral high ground before she started ninja training with Merlyn and lying about it. But she gave Ollie a convienent out. It could all work out logically.

Although I imagine finding out Roy, Laurel, and Sara are all part of it would be a kick in the head. But Laurel and Sara were Oliver's friends anyway and she already knows Roy's working with Arrow. Still, no fun to find out your boyfriend ditched you for your brother.

enraged_camel posted:

That's basically my problem with it: it makes him too much like Batman.

I liked it when he wasn't refraining from killing bad guys in Season 1, because then at least he had something that was different than Bruce Wayne. He was an actual vigilante, as in he followed his own moral compass and didn't give a poo poo about others or the law, and it put him at significant odds with law enforcement and his teammates which added tension. It also gave him an actual reason to be a dick to people: he saw himself as a bad person and didn't want people to get too close to him. Really, when Season 1 Ollie said the island changed him, you actually believed it because he went from a wussy trust fund kid to a killer.

Now though he's a dick for no reason. Sure, he has to manage two different lives, but so does Bruce Wayne and he's way more charismatic than Ollie (not to mention actually competent as a CEO).

Well, I mean I think he has a reason to be a dick. The last six or seven years of his life have been fairly traumatizing. I think I get why Oliver is such a dick and especially why he's hardened on poo poo and "Oliver Queen" since he lost his mom, Sara, Tommy, Queen Industries, and half of Starling City. poo poo hasn't been going well and he's flailing to figure out how to fix it. Plus Oliver probably had a psychotic break sometime around the time he started wearing a hood and murdering people.

He couldn't keep being a psychotic murderer, though. Not in the Arrow/Flash world that has been build. That would be a completely different show and one none of these other characters would be a part of. Batman isn't the Punisher because if he was Superman and the Justice League would kick his rear end. Arrow not only has to exist in a world of other heroes but he has to be the inspiration for most of them. Oliver always had to reform which is why way back in S1 Diggle and Felicity were on his rear end about the murdering stuff and how they couldn't be a part of it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The best part was this year when at separate times both Digg and Felicity went "Yeah, we like that whole not murdering people, but maybe you can murder just a little? Un poquito?"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's hard to be murdersober when everyone keeps shoving murdercocktails in your face.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arrow: A Lesson in Murder Moderation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drifter posted:

Thea: I hate you mom because you were forced be a party to the murderous actions of that monster, Malcolm Merlyn, and despite two decades of unwavering love from you it's going to really take a lot for me to forgive you.
Malcolm Merlyn: Oh hey, I hosed your mom once and just found out you're my kid.
Thea: DADDY! :glomp:

• Locked thread