Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

The facing rules are amazing because you can tell how little effort went into them. Every melee fight becomes two dudes constantly spinning around the other to backstab them, slowly and inevitably moving in one direction one square at a time.

I can tell how little effort went into the facing rules because they were lifted straight from 3.5E Unearthed Arcana, right down to "a character holding a shield must indicate whether he's wielding it to the left or right. The shield only adds to the character's AC against attacks coming from his front area and the flank area on the shield's side, plus any squares that lie beyond those areas."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

ProfessorCirno posted:

The facing rules are amazing because you can tell how little effort went into them. Every melee fight becomes two dudes constantly spinning around the other to backstab them, slowly and inevitably moving in one direction one square at a time.

Sounds a lot like pvp battles in World of Warcraft...

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

mastershakeman posted:

Fighting goblins at noon with clear skies in the summer in full plate? Sorry by round 3 you're incapacitated.

A cleverly concealed compartment on the underside of the chest contains 3 potions of extra cooling and a wand of LRMs wrapped inside a cloak of AMS.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SwitchbladeKult posted:

the game is not flawed because of a lack of hard tanking mechanics to force monsters to hit the character with the highest AC and HP.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Apparently every other person that replies to this thread wants "MMO aggro pulling" because they keeping insisting that without hard tanking mechanics it's just so obvious that every fight the monsters are just going to run straight at the wizard.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

you think melee characters are useless since they can't force monsters to attack them exclusively

SwitchbladeKult posted:

New players and casuals shouldn't need mechanics that force monsters to focus the tank

SwitchbladeKult posted:

if the "tank" can't "taunt" the monster will just one shot the caster

SwitchbladeKult posted:

it's easy to figure out a way to make a fighter the most compelling target in a battle without needing to resort to hard tanking mechanics

SwitchbladeKult posted:

players need to use their tools and their wit and not rely on hard tanking mechanics like compulsion effects.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

hard tanking isn't nessisary for games like D&D.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I know mark in 4E wasn't a compulsion exactly but it's still a heavy handed.

Are you undergoing a compulsion effect that prevents you from arguing in good faith? If you know nobody is advocating what you're arguing against, why are you posting?

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 1, 2015

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Triangles for small, slanted squares for medium and hexes for large size classes. Mediums can share one triangle but not both with another unit. Larges musthave at least 3 free triangles in their hex.

For size classes beyond those bounds us a 6 dimensional lattice partially tracked by color, shape, and orientation. You have to be in an adjacent color band to strike a huge target with an up spin. If two tiny targets are entangled, then they share spacetime topology for the purposes of tanking.

This system seems to be missing charm.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I prefer circles to hexes.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rannos22 posted:

I prefer circles to hexes.

A combination of octagons and squares is far superior.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What kind of filthy gamist makes their maps with anything but tessellated lizards?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Really Pants posted:

What kind of filthy gamist makes their maps with anything but tessellated lizards?

"Dungeons are Dragons" is something I recall posted here a while back.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
If you play on a hyperbolic plane, you can split the difference with a pentagonal tiling.

Or you can tile it with apeirogons (figures with infinitely many sides). This tiling has an infinite number of apeirogons meeting at each vertex.

Escher liked hyperbolic tesselations, too.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 1, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
For best results, magnetize the bases of all your figures and conduct your sessions inside a giant sphere. This has the added benefit of preventing your players from splitting the party, unless they have a motorcycle and stay in constant motion.

If two players collide, use the falling damge rules.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Is there a thread for legitimately discussing D&D 5th Edition or is this shitshow the only one?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
There is another thread, that is almost never used. It is specifically for PBP discussion of 5e though. It is stickied toward the top of The Game Room right now.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Dick Burglar posted:

Is there a thread for legitimately discussing D&D 5th Edition or is this shitshow the only one?

Makes me a little sad too. Honestly for any real discussion these days I just hit up reddit (SIGH). /r/dndnext and /r/dnd aren't bad.

I'm DM'ing my first game ever this weekend, with a bunch of people who haven't played D&D in over a decade. Should be a disaster, but a good time too! Going to run HotDQ, and hopefully scale it properly to not TPK them multiple times in Greenest.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Problem is every time someone starts talking about 5e in here, someone will inevitably ask something like 'hey how do i solve X or is this a good idea'. Someone will post 'no that is a bad idea for reasons x,y,z' and finally someone will respond with 'well in MY game it didn't become a problem' and we go into meltdown trying to explain why thats not a good arguement. Rinse and repeat for 500 pages.

If you want to talk about it just say what you want to say and dont worry about whats going on in the rest of the thread.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Gerdalti posted:

Makes me a little sad too. Honestly for any real discussion these days I just hit up reddit (SIGH). /r/dndnext and /r/dnd aren't bad.

I'm DM'ing my first game ever this weekend, with a bunch of people who haven't played D&D in over a decade. Should be a disaster, but a good time too! Going to run HotDQ, and hopefully scale it properly to not TPK them multiple times in Greenest.

Make sure everyone actually reads the rules. It might sound like I'm being a dick but we played at least five sessions before we had completely rid ourselves of old notions of what you could and couldn't do in DnD. There are a couple of good cheat sheets in the OP that you might want to print out or have a digital copy of for quick reference.

Good luck and have fun!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

jodai posted:

There are a couple of good cheat sheets in the OP that you might want to print out or have a digital copy of for quick reference.

Speaking of, is there anything I should add to the OP? Some new fan made or official content to aid game play? Some homebrew that people think are good? Anything really.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

jodai posted:

Make sure everyone actually reads the rules. It might sound like I'm being a dick but we played at least five sessions before we had completely rid ourselves of old notions of what you could and couldn't do in DnD. There are a couple of good cheat sheets in the OP that you might want to print out or have a digital copy of for quick reference.

Good luck and have fun!

Good advice I don't think I can enforce. Thankfully I've actually been playing with a rather experienced group for a few months, and have a good grasp on the rules. I've created a bunch of cheat sheets for the party, helped them build their characters, and expect to do a little hand holding the first session or two.

That said, I'm pretty psyched. We're huge nerds across the board, but never actually managed to organize anything.
Might give dungeon world a go later this year once everyone is fully on board with actual RP. I expect that skill to take some time to develop.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ryuujin posted:

There is another thread, that is almost never used. It is specifically for PBP discussion of 5e though. It is stickied toward the top of The Game Room right now.

He's talking about this thread. If you want to ask stuff of people who have played the game, go post there.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

jodai posted:

Make sure everyone actually reads the rules. It might sound like I'm being a dick but we played at least five sessions before we had completely rid ourselves of old notions of what you could and couldn't do in DnD.

That's good advice for any game where you're transitioning between editions. People pulling 2e notions/rules into 3e annoyed me to the point where I didn't really try 3e for a couple of years after it was released, I just played a couple of different people's weird 2/3 hybrids and loving hated them.

Just look stuff up when you don't understand it, or ignore confusing stuff and work it out afterward, or even just wing it by handing out advantage/disadvantage if you can't figure out what a particular thing actually does. Next isn't balanced enough for that kind of thing to matter unless everyone's being super weird.

What might break things enough to matter is trying to apply a rule you sortakinda remember from 2 editions ago. Or maybe it will be fine. It would piss me off, but maybe I'm the only one.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 2, 2015

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Can I DM without ever playing D&D?

It's a major pain finding online groups in Australia and even harder finding offline groups in my city! :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

EvilElmo posted:

Yes. I've DM'd a couple dozen sessions since starting the hobby last year and I've never actually been a player.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Honestly I love this thread, if only because people actually care about D&D enough to post constructive criticism. Whenever people ask for another thread I can already imagine the OP stating that "no criticism is allowed" or some silly thing like that - I've got more cool ideas/info from arguing about what D&D Next has done well or badly than from actually going and playing the game, and that's great.

EvilElmo posted:

It's a major pain finding online groups in Australia and even harder finding offline groups in my city! :(

Yup!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

EvilElmo posted:

Yes, of course. Before the internet, most people learned to DM by just doing it. I got the BECMI red box for my birthday when I was 8 or 9 and then defaulted to being DM for my friends because I was the only one who'd read any of the rules. I didn't get to actually play the game until I was 13 or 14. Then again, that particular set of books was super easy to learn - half the (very thin) PHB was a solo adventure that introduced all the concepts in a fun and logical order. Half the (even thinner) DMG was a step-by-step dungeon crawl to run for new players/DMs, which introduced more stuff (although not necessarily in any order, depending on which way the PCs went).

If you're in Melbourne PM me and a bit later I'll see if I can get you the details of a group that's running through the official Next stuff and I think is looking for players. They meet on a night where I do BJJ, otherwise I'd be playing too.

e: If I find another local online game, I'll try to remember to let you know too. Last one was pretty fun, but it was a single session "we're all on holidays" thing.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 2, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

That's good advice for any game where you're transitioning between editions. People pulling 2e notions/rules into 3e annoyed me to the point where I didn't really try 3e for a couple of years after it was released, I just played a couple of different people's weird 2/3 hybrids and loving hated them.

Just look stuff up when you don't understand it, or ignore confusing stuff and work it out afterward, or even just wing it by handing out advantage/disadvantage if you can't figure out what a particular thing actually does. Next isn't balanced enough for that kind of thing to matter unless everyone's being super weird.

What might break things enough to matter is trying to apply a rule you sortakinda remember from 2 editions ago. Or maybe it will be fine. It would piss me off, but maybe I'm the only one.

Like I can see this, but I can also see if you never run into anything in the old editions that games or is otherwise incongruous with the newest one, and you never bothered to check to see if you're playing by the newest book, does it really matter? It's all "Dungeons and Dragons". If anything I don't really see the point of "editions" when you're not allowed to significantly change the rules of the game under the oppressive weight of grognards, because it just invalidates years past of content and practice for marginal changes at best. I know lots of [grogs] who would have been fine with 4e as long as they hadn't named it 4e, but instead another product D&D related (like D&D Attack Wing which I would only ever play to get the Millenium Falcon versus the Enterprise-D and an elf wizard (the wizard wins :shh:)).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

EvilElmo posted:

Even though I've only played Next once before and don't own any of the books, I can say for certain this is possible. To be honest, getting to play a game first before running it could be argued as a "luxury."

You're going to want to familiarize yourself more with the "Running the Game" sections of the book instead of the "Character Creation" section. Try to get the basic rules for combat and checks down. Keep the basic rules pdf on your smartphone or laptop if you need a quick rules reference. If you feel referencing the rules might take too long, it's perfectly fine to make a quick ruling then and find the rule later for future reference. I'd highly suggest picking out a pre-made adventure and I'm sure someone else in the thread can give you some suggestions on that as I don't have any.

As some general GM tips, I'll say the following:
*Remember, your players are your friends. While antagonistic GMing was all the rage in the 80s, it's best to avoid.
*Don't muddy things with too many rolls.
*When a player asks if someone can be done, either allow them to do it or put it to chance.
*When someone comes up with something cool, especially if the rest of the group is into the idea, even if it doesn't necessarily match with your idea for the campaign, I find it better to say "yes." Generally, it maximizes overall entertainment.
*Try to keep encounters reasonably balanced. Difficulty is fine, but no one likes an unfair fight.
*Avoid "mature" subjects: they'll likely just make you seem creepy and make your players uncomfortable.
*Always remember your players are people and, if you have any problems with their actions, you can try to talk with them like reasonable adults.

There are always more players than GMs so you should quickly find some people willing to join your group. You can even recruit on our forum by posting a recruitment topic in the game room and either run it pbp on our forum or through online tools like roll20.net and skype.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

First Bass posted:

Like I can see this, but I can also see if you never run into anything in the old editions that games or is otherwise incongruous with the newest one, and you never bothered to check to see if you're playing by the newest book, does it really matter? It's all "Dungeons and Dragons". If anything I don't really see the point of "editions" when you're not allowed to significantly change the rules of the game under the oppressive weight of grognards, because it just invalidates years past of content and practice for marginal changes at best. I know lots of [grogs] who would have been fine with 4e as long as they hadn't named it 4e, but instead another product D&D related (like D&D Attack Wing which I would only ever play to get the Millenium Falcon versus the Enterprise-D and an elf wizard (the wizard wins :shh:)).

I kinda see what you're saying, but the "marginal changes at best" line I can only see applying between AD&D and 2nd edition (which admittedly can be pretty close to compatible in lots of places), and even then the implications about what you do in the game are fundamentally different.

If you're describing the 2e-3e or 3e-4e changes as "marginal differences", then :psyduck:

Covok posted:

To be honest, getting to play a game first before running it could be argued as a "luxury."

I'm also the guy who buys/runs RPGs and never gets to play them. I still haven't played in an offline Dungeon World game, although running it's so much fun I don't care.

Covok posted:

*Don't muddy things with too many rolls.
*When a player asks if someone can be done, either allow them to do it or put it to chance.

What this part means to me is that I don't make them roll for everything, or even most things, and I don't make them roll ever if failure wouldn't be interesting (ie, when the "consequences" of failing a roll would be "try again y/n", then rolling is boring and dumb).

Jumping over a low wall? You make it no problem. Climbing a rope? Sure, you get up there. Climbing a rope while bandits shoot burning arrows at you? Roll the dice or fall off and be in melee combat.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 2, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

I kinda see what you're saying, but the "marginal changes at best" line I can only see applying between AD&D and 2nd edition (which admittedly can be pretty close to compatible in lots of places), and even then the implications about what you do in the game are fundamentally different.

If you're describing the 2e-3e or 3e-4e changes as "marginal differences", then :psyduck:

I'm also the guy who buys/runs RPGs and never gets to play them. I still haven't played in an offline Dungeon World game, although running it's so much fun I don't care.

What this part means to me is that I don't make them roll for everything, or even most things, and I don't make them roll ever if failure wouldn't be interesting.

Jumping over a low wall? You make it no problem. Climbing a rope? Sure, you get up there. Climbing a rope while bandits shoot burning arrows at you? Roll the dice or fall off and be in melee combat.

That's pretty much what I mean. I should have elaborated.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Covok posted:

That's pretty much what I mean. I should have elaborated.

I'm just expanding on what you said, since it might not be super obvious to someone who hasn't DMed before. It took me years to understand why a locked door you can't get past when you fail a roll is dumb and boring.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 2, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

I was thinking more how 3e-3.5e-4e--3.75e

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

First Bass posted:

I was thinking more how 3e-3.5e-PF-5e

Fixed that for you.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

First Bass posted:

I was thinking more how 3e-3.5e-4e--3.75e

4e functions radically differently to anything 3.x related.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

What you really need to do is take every edition from AD&D through 5e, grab the corebooks, place them all on your gaming table in a prominent position, let your players make whatever character they like using all the visible manuals, and then run BECMI while they pretend they're actually playing their Human Magic-user, Elven F/W Bladesinger, f2c2w14r5 half-vampire/vampire-vampire, and Dragonborn Warlord and everything's fine.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

:thejoke: making fun of how Next was a step back from 4e

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

First Bass posted:

:thejoke: making fun of how Next was a step back from 4e

Sorry, hard to tell if people are serious or not.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Never played anything older than AD&D, and that was only in BG2/IWD1 format - is BECMI the go-to recommended dungeon crawler?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

kingcom posted:

This really isn't actually all that accurate. 4E is a lot more similar to 3E than 3E is to 2E AD&D, for instance. 4E is definitely a distinct evolution of 3E, just a lot of vocal 3E fans hated it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Azran posted:

Never played anything older than AD&D, and that was only in BG2/IWD1 format - is BECMI the go-to recommended dungeon crawler?

You might be better off with one of the many retroclones, but BECMI (in Rules Cyclopedia form) is a drat fine game. It obviously feels a bit dated, but somehow not as badly as AD&D.

I'd recommend getting the red Basic box and reading the whole thing, playing through the CYOA stuff, and then running some people through the starter dungeon. It's worth it if only to see what an introductory D&D set should look like. It only goes to level 3, but even that provides a fun dungeon-crawl game (like, it's actually a dungeon crawl game - the rules assume a dungeon or dungeon-like environment. If you want outdoor adventures the stuff you need is in the next box. Although I guess there's nothing to prevent you from saying "ok, you're outside", the books strongly imply that you end the game by exiting the dungeon).

kingcom posted:

Darwinism posted:

4E is a lot more similar to 3E than 3E is to 2E AD&D, for instance. 4E is definitely a distinct evolution of 3E, just a lot of vocal 3E fans hated it.

There's nothing incompatible about these statements. 4e does function radically differently from 3e. 4e/3e and 3e/2e have different things that carried over, and arguably more carried from 3e to 4e (the AWED thing is a big big difference though).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 2, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I see we've made a full rotation in this thread:

- People talk about 5th edition mechanics
- People have something to say about 5th edition mechanics that are not entirely positive
- People discuss solutions to problems by other roleplaying games, including previous editions of D&D
- Some guy says something both idiotic and fact-allergic about 5th edition not having stated problem
- Extended argument ensues in which said guy is revealed to be missing a bit on the top floor
- Thread goes silent for a day
- People complain that they can't discuss 5th ed in this thread without being dogpiled
- Return to start

Meanwhile, another thread of conversation continues unabated where people discuss their fun 5th edition games with absolutely no pushback or difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

30.5 Days posted:

I see we've made a full rotation in this thread:

- People talk about 5th edition mechanics
- People have something to say about 5th edition mechanics that are not entirely positive
- People discuss solutions to problems by other roleplaying games, including previous editions of D&D
- Some guy says something both idiotic and fact-allergic about 5th edition not having stated problem
- Extended argument ensues in which said guy is revealed to be missing a bit on the top floor
- Thread goes silent for a day
- People complain that they can't discuss 5th ed in this thread without being dogpiled
- Return to start

Meanwhile, another thread of conversation continues unabated where people discuss their fun 5th edition games with absolutely no pushback or difficulties.

You forgot to include

* Bitch about Mike Mearls

* Complain about caster superiority and martial ineffectiveness and beat that horse to death

* point out everything people love about 4e

* Not play 5e

There are legit issues with 5e but this thread really is not an effective resource to actually discuss playing 5e. Oh sure, there are hints of actual 5e discussion every so often but really its just a place to discuss frpg design.