Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Southern Dandy posted:

Did you miss out on the Type 59?

Never bought one. Never really saw the reason. vOv

I figure having a WZ-111 and FCM50t will pretty much 'cover me' for profitable T8 prefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To say nothing of the fact that the -122-54 is a 'rare' tank, so you'll be hunted by the other team mercilessly - especially by the arty.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to grind out the Soviet and US tokens and spend :10bux: x 4 to just get the WZ-111. That'd make it $50 (since I bought the Japan token last month/year) for quite possibly the best T8 premium in the game tied with the Type 59.

Huh? When the the 111 go from "Eh, it's a 112 that doesn't burn so much" to "quite possibly the best T8 premium in the game"?

Atomizer posted:

Eh, it's one thing to have to carry your team, but when half your team is actually playing for the enemy it's a whole other ballgame. Considering you can't take out your Benedict Arnolds without penalty.... I mean it's one thing to carry your team against 15 enemies, but when you have to do it against 20+, you can't honestly expect any tank to carry that hard.

I'm spoiled by having been playing a lot of T-54 games recently, which totally can :unsmigghh:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Darkrenown posted:

Huh? When the the 111 go from "Eh, it's a 112 that doesn't burn so much" to "quite possibly the best T8 premium in the game"?

I should've quantified that statement with a 'currently available,' even though the availability comes with a caveat.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Atomizer posted:

So, uh, how do you play Blitz with one hand? I mean I'm curious but I guess this might be TMI.... On second thought, forget about it; just tell us your IGN so we can add you. There's already about a half dozen of us who play Blitz (AtomizerX, garregus, PrincessBumblebeeTuna, SturmHaubitze, protastic, naktl).

I'm thereal48 in Blitz but I'm on the EU server, are any of you guys on there?

And by the way for anyone thinking of getting into Blitz now is a good time because there are x5 victories until Jan 5th and they seem to be resetting twice a day at noon and 18:00 CET.

Edit:
pro-tip for Blitz: go for the high armor heavy tanks since the pubbies have no idea about aiming for weak spots, and the driving controls are not good enough for fast tanks to maneuver well (and the maps are tiny anyways). I've been absolutelty wrecking even tier 7's in my KV-1.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 1, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The III/IV also has one of the worst on the move mobility of any medium tank I've ever played.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Strobe posted:

The III/IV also has one of the worst [b]on the move mobility[b] of any medium tank I've ever played.

Do you mean on the move accuracy, or mobility in general?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Accuracy. Got a wire crossed there. Track and turret bloom are just awful.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
loving hell Shadow of Mordor takes forever to download. Just went on a Steam spree!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rincewinds posted:

I played WoWP in beta and it was rather fun for me at the time. However, Beta 4.0 made it too unfun for me for some reason. They changed too many things at once, so I have no real idea if it was the changes in the planes, the physics or the flight model that killed it for me, but I pretty much stopped. Good news are that my fake gold got converted into two months premium when it went live.

I think it was because it went from bland but playable where every plane could theoretically contribute to boom and zoom boogaloo hope you picked a german heavy fighter otherwise you literally won't be able to fight back as the invincible sky gods pick you off. When you add a bunch of mechanics to give a set of planes a big bonus to being good at bnz and then make it so that firing while climbing does about 1 DPS, you just broke your game.

I'm still livid about it too. First dogfighting game that was straight up about cool ACM stuff, not being better able to manage the camera and not crash or being better able to manage your engine mixture. The Picture in Picture was a damned revelation because it meant you could actually quickly look at where you're plane's flying and back to your target without being a three handed ambidextrous mouse wizard. Realism is neat but I want a game about outflying people and shooting them down, and WoWP was it until it became about clicking the big red button in a German heavy fighter or US fighter.

EDIT: Wait, Smith, that guy said he lives in Pennsylvania out of Fort Bragg? Jesus. (Hint: Bragg is in North Carolina, about a 6-8 hour drive away from PA). If he's in Lehigh Valley, he's looking for Fort Indiantown Gap. God drat, that's better than the time someone said he went to West Point and flew A-10s for the Marines.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 1, 2015

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Not even close.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
"I guess I'll give Japan a shot, they did ally with the glorious German master race..."

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

LostCosmonaut posted:

Not even close.

Holy poo poo link to profile ASAP

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
This was my guess, but that one is even worse.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Not even close.

Which KGS member is that?

The only reason he plays Chinese tanks is the Chinese Chi-ha

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
God drat.

Also, Type 59 talk: I remember when it was still available in the store, some baddie I encountered was saying he regretted buying it, it was poo poo, he was about to sell it because it sucked so hard, etc.

Less than a week later it was removed from the store, and I saw him later whining about how OP it is :allears:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

falen55 posted:

I'm working toward the SU-122-54 but the grind through the SU-101 is just.so.terrible :saddowns:

I'm not a huge fan of TDs to begin with but holy poo poo is this thing a turd. The only redeeming quality is the gun with its amazing ROF, which you can barely ever get on target as both gun depression and traverse are almost non-existant.

The 101 is nigh-useless on some maps (Hidden Valley is awful), but it's absurdly mobile and teaches you a lot about terrain.

As in, you will never find bad terrain to be a problem on other tanks after dealing with it in the 101. 2 degrees of gun depression is awful, but you have very good camo and a small profile to help you escape after getting some shots off.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

This was my guess, but that one is even worse.

I've had that saved on my computer for a while (as wehraboo.jpg), so it very well could be HAV's Hitler apologist.

Also, my phone's autocorrect now recognizes wehraboo.

T___A posted:

Which KGS member is that?

The only reason he plays Chinese tanks is the Chinese Chi-ha

He has 87 games in Soviet tanks, Stalin apologist confirmed.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Aced the FV4002 while playing like poo poo. 1200ish base XP seems low for an ace, but I'll not complain.
http://wotreplays.eu/site/1484226#fjords-darkrenown-fv4202

Some interesting things though, a sub 50% player in an IS-3 out-damaged me while I was getting an Ace in a T10, we both got confederate (had this happen a few days ago too) - which I thought was one per match, and our stat-padded Unicum Fatton killed our arty somehow early (I assume he blocked his shell with his barrel, maybe someone with an unlocked camera can confirm?) on and never said a word.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rossmum posted:

God drat.

Also, Type 59 talk: I remember when it was still available in the store, some baddie I encountered was saying he regretted buying it, it was poo poo, he was about to sell it because it sucked so hard, etc.

Less than a week later it was removed from the store, and I saw him later whining about how OP it is :allears:

was it frozentreat?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bit the bullet and bought the last four tokens I needed to finish the mission. $40 for a WZ-111 with the prospect of getting gold if I finish one more nations grind seems like the best balance between having the money and having a life.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Darkrenown posted:

Aced the FV4002 while playing like poo poo. 1200ish base XP seems low for an ace, but I'll not complain.
http://wotreplays.eu/site/1484226#fjords-darkrenown-fv4202

Some interesting things though, a sub 50% player in an IS-3 out-damaged me while I was getting an Ace in a T10, we both got confederate (had this happen a few days ago too) - which I thought was one per match, and our stat-padded Unicum Fatton killed our arty somehow early (I assume he blocked his shell with his barrel, maybe someone with an unlocked camera can confirm?) on and never said a word.

A while back some of the medals that aren't "Do the most x" were made to be awardable to multiple people. Confederate, Patrol Duty, Defender, and Tank Sniper are the only ones I can think of that are actually possible to see multiples of.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

The Southern Dandy posted:

loving hell Shadow of Mordor takes forever to download. Just went on a Steam spree!

I bought Shadow of Mordor as well when it first went on sale for $30, it's... okay. I can see why it was super hyped for a few weeks and really died down, despite being "open world" you can't walk more than 50 yards without engaging a mob of enemies or sneaking, and when you kill a mob of Uruks another gaggle of them respawn nearby and immediately come towards your location.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dvsilverwing posted:

I bought Shadow of Mordor as well when it first went on sale for $30, it's... okay. I can see why it was super hyped for a few weeks and really died down, despite being "open world" you can't walk more than 50 yards without engaging a mob of enemies or sneaking, and when you kill a mob of Uruks another gaggle of them respawn nearby and immediately come towards your location.

It's a great open world ork assassinating sim for a while at least.

Squiddite
Apr 15, 2001
Loligo vos omnes odet.
Just had a battle where I ran my T-62A completely out of ammo. I would've been really irritated if I'd failed to kill the enemy STB with my last shot; I misplayed the duel with him badly enough as it is.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Finally polished off the Archer and bought the Achilles, and man, what a difference. A rotating turret is a hell of a lot better than some bullshit reversing gimmick, and the ability to actually go forward (it's not a Hellcat speed devil, but it can do a solid 40-45 on terrain) makes getting in and out places and doing actual damage much easier.

It does have a downside, and if you played Soviet mediums, you'll remember it pretty well. In order to use the gun you just researched on the Archer, you'll have to research another, much shittier gun, then the turret (mounting which requires the suspension), and only then can you have a tank that isn't poo poo. The stock gun is complete unusable, and the engine upgrade really makes a difference, so this is really a vehicle where you want to have enough free XP to elite it before you play a single game. But hey, at least the radios carry over.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

http://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/pc-browser/22/armoured-persona-contest-ht-community-choice-poll-results/

Sea community in a nut shell.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
An absolute lack of effort that, through the stupidity of other idiots, still ends up winning? Sounds like all of WoT to me.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Finally polished off the Archer and bought the Achilles, and man, what a difference. A rotating turret is a hell of a lot better than some bullshit reversing gimmick, and the ability to actually go forward (it's not a Hellcat speed devil, but it can do a solid 40-45 on terrain) makes getting in and out places and doing actual damage much easier.

It does have a downside, and if you played Soviet mediums, you'll remember it pretty well. In order to use the gun you just researched on the Archer, you'll have to research another, much shittier gun, then the turret (mounting which requires the suspension), and only then can you have a tank that isn't poo poo. The stock gun is complete unusable, and the engine upgrade really makes a difference, so this is really a vehicle where you want to have enough free XP to elite it before you play a single game. But hey, at least the radios carry over.

Elited without treads + gld, rammer, and binos without any weight issues. It is way better than the archer though, I'll agree to that. The archer's gimmick doesn't really work in WoT at all. I was actually surprised that treads are the last thing you could grab on it. I don't know on engine as I had the top engine already carried over because I do have a 215b, 4202, and tort (about 100k from the 215 183).

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Hellsau posted:

was it frozentreat?

No, he didn't sell his Type 59, he just drove it into the sea instead. :allears:

Also gently caress you guys, I am eagerly looking forwards to playing the Archer when I get home. It's nigh impossible to carry with but it's a) adorable and b) amusing. I love it.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, with all this bitching about the Archer, I can't wait to get it.

No, seriously. I like playing lovely tanks on purpose. I am literally the worst at tanks.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Missing Name posted:

No, seriously. I like playing lovely tanks on purpose. I am literally the worst at tanks.

The 101 is better in every way to the archer.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

JuffoWup posted:

Elited without treads + gld, rammer, and binos without any weight issues. It is way better than the archer though, I'll agree to that. The archer's gimmick doesn't really work in WoT at all. I was actually surprised that treads are the last thing you could grab on it. I don't know on engine as I had the top engine already carried over because I do have a 215b, 4202, and tort (about 100k from the 215 183).

Really? It wouldn't let me put on the turret until I pony'd up for a suspension. It's kind of sluggish with the stock engine, but it's still a dream compared to the Archer. Plus, it costs like 1500 XP so you shouldn't be driving around with it for more than a game, anyway, especially in while quints are up.

Missing Name posted:

The Archer isn't that bad. If you set up well, you can absolutely destroy the opposition with your low profile, good camo, and great gun/traverse. The problem is when you have to go anywhere, including setting up at the start of the match, since it's glacial when driving forward, and still pretty slow in reverse. Oh, also you have no armour and your engine will get knocked out with every shot, so if you ever get shot at first, you're basically dead.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Really? It wouldn't let me put on the turret until I pony'd up for a suspension. It's kind of sluggish with the stock engine, but it's still a dream compared to the Archer. Plus, it costs like 1500 XP so you shouldn't be driving around with it for more than a game, anyway, especially in while quints are up.

Is there a weight savings in the engine perhaps?

Edit: oh god, yes. Stock engine is 2300kg while the upgraded engine is 750.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 2, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dvsilverwing posted:

I'm pretty sure the III/IV and IV H have the same L/48 as their top 75mm.

They do, but the 3/4 has much better mobility, enough that it's a functional medium tank rather than one in name only. The 3/4 has the mobility to flank & circle opponents, and often you'll end up demolishing the inexperienced players around this tier. The 4H's lower mobility means it has less ability to work that 75 with mediocre AP & APCR penetration. The M7 & M4 have the same relationship (but with different guns.)

Strobe posted:

The III/IV also has one of the worst on the move mobility accuracy of any medium tank I've ever played.

It's been a while since I've driven mine, but I never had a problem with the gun handling. You can play it as a mobile sniper, kinda, using your great mobility to get into position, but I use it as a flanker. Either the handling is fine for me in general or it doesn't matter at brawling distance.

Darkrenown posted:

I'm spoiled by having been playing a lot of T-54 games recently, which totally can :unsmigghh:

I know, I know, the T-54 is definitely an example of a spectacular tank for its tier, and the Archer less so. Still, I've had matches like those in my Archer (top damage by far, more than half the rest of the team with 0 damage) and never have I thought it's the tank's fault. You just can't win every match no matter how good you and/or the tank are. gently caress pubbies.

RandomPauI posted:

I bit the bullet and bought the last four tokens I needed to finish the mission. $40 for a WZ-111 with the prospect of getting gold if I finish one more nations grind seems like the best balance between having the money and having a life.

So how does the token thing work, regardless of whether you buy or grind them? I've seen people with the 111 right at the beginning, so I know they didn't grind it, but does it not automatically turn the tokens into the tank once you have them all? Do you have to manually redeem them somehow?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Ha this put a stupid grin on my face,why yes I am 4 years old.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

So how does the token thing work, regardless of whether you buy or grind them? I've seen people with the 111 right at the beginning, so I know they didn't grind it, but does it not automatically turn the tokens into the tank once you have them all? Do you have to manually redeem them somehow?

It just does it automatically. And if you have a token and did the mission you get 2,400 gold.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

It just does it automatically. And if you have a token and did the mission you get 2,400 gold.

Oh so you did 3 of the missions and bought the other 4 tokens, now you have the 111? And the 4 missions are still available, so you could complete those and then get credit for the gold (I thought it was 2500) that you would be eligible for from having purchased the tokens? I thought someone mentioned that if you bought the tokens and got the 111 then the missions disappeared, or were marked as unavailable, or something like that?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

rossmum posted:

No, he didn't sell his Type 59, he just drove it into the sea instead. :allears:

Also gently caress you guys, I am eagerly looking forwards to playing the Archer when I get home. It's nigh impossible to carry with but it's a) adorable and b) amusing. I love it.

Marius and I have been carrying my Archer and his 3001H a couple times over the last week up to a 65% wr, it's actually possible to ambush multiple tanks when they try to rush the big German brick without looking both ways first :v:

So far anyway

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 2, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The missions still show up as available to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Victory!
Battle: Fisherman's Bay
Vehicle: Bat.-Châtillon 155 58
Experience received: 7,415 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 71,359
Battle achievements: High Caliber, Gore's Medal, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

That is ace badge number two on this tank.