Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Cerebulon posted:

I've finally got to a point where a (So far quarter of a) region is actually turning out quite nicely:

(Not pictured: One-tile micro-mega-city my dropbox-synced friend made with a 100% focus on looking nice before his mods broke and left only a rail depot in a ditch)
Also I think I'll stick with a grid of large tiles instead of a weird mix next time, since the spacing of towns/farms/rest stops seems a bit off like this.

I'm not sure what's up with the roads in my transport view? Black is supposed to be highway yet for no apparent reason, certain normal roads and streets in certain towns and cities are showing up as black too?
I'm using Oldfashioned pack (I can't remember if it's 2.0 or 3.0, but it's been installed for about a year) so is it some weird NAM thing maybe?

That looks really good actually. Did you do all the tree placement yourself? I used to do that to try and get realistic fields and forests, but it was murder on my hands. Now I have a mod that supersizes the tree plopping tool in godmode, and I just blanket everything in trees.

I think a large tile grid is always best. It's just a matter of being able to limit yourself on the smaller towns, and not expanding them too much. Large tiles also have the benefit of giving you options should you decide that a nearby small town should expand into a suburb or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Thanks.
I ran into trouble almost immediately because I decided it was a great idea to expand my first major city in a medium square and now it's sort of awkwardly split over 4 or 5 and I regret it entirely.
I spent a good hour or so terraforming stuff/planting forests first thing since I'd intended for the region to become a big multiplayer game so I wanted to make the region look nice to draw people in, but it didn't really take off with the group at all.
The little square at the bottom right with the very natural looking farm/forest split was my friend who might be a wizard.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Cerebulon posted:

I've finally got to a point where a (So far quarter of a) region is actually turning out quite nicely:

(Not pictured: One-tile micro-mega-city my dropbox-synced friend made with a 100% focus on looking nice before his mods broke and left only a rail depot in a ditch)
Also I think I'll stick with a grid of large tiles instead of a weird mix next time, since the spacing of towns/farms/rest stops seems a bit off like this.

I'm not sure what's up with the roads in my transport view? Black is supposed to be highway yet for no apparent reason, certain normal roads and streets in certain towns and cities are showing up as black too?
I'm using Oldfashioned pack (I can't remember if it's 2.0 or 3.0, but it's been installed for about a year) so is it some weird NAM thing maybe?

Not sure if it was NAM or another mod, but i think if you are a mod that allows dirt roads, it uses an extra road type that existed but was never implemented in the original game. so they show up like highways.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*

I don't have anything like that, and its city streets doing it too. Maybe the effected tiles have a specific piece of road or highway in them that's causing it? Weird thing is that it's done it to tiles with no highway whatsoever (Top left), normal highways (Middle left), RHW highways (Bottom left), but also hasn't done it to some with a whole lot of highways and very similar road setups (2/5 of the main city districts but not the other large town).
I don't think it's actually effecting the networks at all from a simulation standpoint so just a weird little quirk I suppose.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What map is that and does it require the terran mod to work?

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*

I had a look through my old downloads and it was NHP Zaraki. (Overview pic from thread)
It requires importing with one of the mapping tools and then going over the textureless wasteland it creates by hand though. Only complaint I'd have about it is that it's a little bit flat. There's gradual hills but they're very gradual.

Cerebulon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 7, 2014

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Sim City 2000 is free on Origin right now: https://www.origin.com/en-gb/store/free-games/on-the-house

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Ohhhh yeeaahhh baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UR5WpJCZGA

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Something strange is happening with my game's streetlights.
At daylight looks ok.

But when I change to night time looks like a citywide rave.

bonus region view:

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

hecko posted:

Something awesome is happening with my game's streetlights.

Fixed that for you.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tai posted:

Fancy merging it with this?

https://mega.co.nz/#!5ck33KzS!Wq04elB3H7-hyq1O1rdJhzd5Dg2D7eyB-UkIO-909Sg.

I added my mods to the old fashioned 3.0 and removed all the duplicates so you could combine yours with mine and make a huge super pack. It is pretty big currently at 3.15 GB but it's got some positive reviews off goons recently.

When I say merge, I mean your mod pack you use for LP.

Can I take this to mean that I can install both Grand Fromage's mod pack alongside Tai's? Or was this a proposition to begin work at merging the two mega-mods and that they are incompatible side-by-side currently?

Just deciding to get back into this and would love The Ultimate Comprehensive AIO like these two packs together should be.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 26, 2014

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ok, where did you download a Shadowrun lighting mod?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Can I take this to mean that I can install both Grand Fromage's mod pack alongside Tai's? Or was this a proposition to begin work at merging the two mega-mods and that they are incompatible side-by-side currently?

Just deciding to get back into this and would love The Ultimate Comprehensive AIO like these two packs together should be.

It shouldn't be too bad- just download Duplicate File Finder and run it on the mod folder after you combine them. Delete duplicates, and you should be good to go unless there are mods with specific conflicts- which you should easily be able to address on a case by case basis.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I don't know what is in GF's mod pack honestly. Maybe it got merged with the Old fashioned pack?

OF 3.0 is in my mod pack but it's been cleaned out of duplicates, redundant dependencies etc. I'd probably say my mod pack is a lot more up to date since it has OF 3.0 and a lot of other jazz I've added. Hopefully grand fromages mods are in OF but he hasn't replied yet.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Before I purchase this game for Steam, how well does this run on OS X? I'll be running this on a 13" 2014 Retina Macbook Pro.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
honestly this game is almost a decade old, it runs decently on anything made even during the year it was released.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

hubris.height posted:

honestly this game is almost a decade old, it runs decently on anything made even during the year it was released.

Ah. I heard this game got wonky with newer hardware.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
if there is a hardware related problem i'm unaware of it, and most problems probably have work arounds by now

that said, if you don't mind paying full price you can get the mac version in the apple store for twenty bucks https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simcity-4-deluxe-edition/id804079949?mt=12 and there's probably some kind of 'guaranteed to work' thing for your os based on that fact

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Alternatively just get the Steamplay version on Steam :)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hubris.height posted:

With a ton of mods, big cities tend to run like poo poo and zooming in and out too fast crashes the game.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Honestly, with new systems, the main problem is some graphics cards aren't able to run in hardware mode even with the code fix but it just means you need to run the game in software mode. There are a few regions which you won't be able to play but hey ho. Also, the game doesn't support multi core so people have to disable all but one CPU.

As for mods, it's just a large load time at the start and when swapping regions but this can be reduced by data packing mod files. Never noticed regions running like poo poo though with a 3.5 GB mod folder. Once it loads, everything runs as fast as vanilla SC4.

On that note, I'll be uploading my updated folder soon. It doesn't have many more mods, maybe 100-200 meg but everything is data packed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I ended up getting the Steam version of this for $5 on GMG. For the 3 hours i've played it, it's ran without a hitch on my rMBP. NAM installed fine too. Thanks for the input though guys.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Avocados posted:

I ended up getting the Steam version of this for $5 on GMG. For the 3 hours i've played it, it's ran without a hitch on my rMBP. NAM installed fine too. Thanks for the input though guys.

Generally you won't start to have issues until your cities start getting metropolis sized. Around that time is when the CPU affinity CTD issues start to crop up (until you fix it), and the zoom in out crash begins to occur more often.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What is this zoom out bug that makes you CTD? Never experienced it once. SC4 runs fine for me minus load times at the start. Maybe it's a certain mod doing this or hardware mode?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Tai posted:

What is this zoom out bug that makes you CTD? Never experienced it once. SC4 runs fine for me minus load times at the start. Maybe it's a certain mod doing this or hardware mode?

I believe it's when you use the mousewheel to zoom in and out. It's been a bug for years and years, not specific to any particular hardware.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Odd, never experienced it and I always mouse wheel to zoom in/out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Like most SC4 bugs, it depends a lot on if you've sacrificed a chicken recently and the position of the moon and whether or not your CPU was manufactured on an ancient Indian burial ground.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How do I keep/mod in demand of agriculture in my cities? I have a beautiful suburbia and tower district in my town, but when its finally time to add a nice countryside, there's zero demand. The only three mods I have installed are NAM, Mountain Theme Pack, and SimPeg Agricultural Mod. It's pretty upsetting.

Also on that note of zero demand, is there any real way to stop the demand of Dirty/Mfg Industry? I keep making smoggy "garbage" helltowns that are 100% industry that way I can keep my residential/commercial neighboring cities nice and clean. Looks like this was answered last page.

buglord fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 2, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Avocados posted:

How do I keep/mod in demand of agriculture in my cities? I have a beautiful suburbia and tower district in my town, but when its finally time to add a nice countryside, there's zero demand. The only three mods I have installed are NAM, Mountain Theme Pack, and SimPeg Agricultural Mod. It's pretty upsetting.

The only truly effective way to ensure agriculture grows is to build it first. Pretty much anything else seems to depress demand to a greater or lesser extent, though the other industries are by far the biggest sinners there. There are some mods around that try to mess with this, but I don't know them off-hand I'm afraid.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know the name but there is definitely a mod to make agriculture always have demand. I think SPAM does it, if you want a whole farming overhaul thing.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know the name but there is definitely a mod to make agriculture always have demand. I think SPAM does it, if you want a whole farming overhaul thing.

SPAM does do that... unless you're also running CAM, and you've applied the CAM workforce fix. This seems to override SPAM's demand change.

*sigh* Oh well, at least I get really pretty farms for the 20 minutes the game wants me to build them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've been playing this game since it came out and I've never messed with modpacks; the OP just changed that for me. I've always built decent cities but they always are a grid with no transport systems except for highways that seem to go unused by my sims, so I'm really excited to build a new city and see what I can do now that I'm not a 13 year old with weaknesspays ready to bail me out from frivolous spending.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
If you are manually getting your own mods as in not downloading the various goon packs (you should), I'd advise NAM and then get the various car park mods. Car parks make sims use your bigger transport link. Highways, trains etc. Plop them down next to a bus station or train station and watch as every fucker dog piles into your train station and cry as it explodes through the capacity you thought it would be ok with.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tai posted:

If you are manually getting your own mods as in not downloading the various goon packs (you should), I'd advise NAM and then get the various car park mods. Car parks make sims use your bigger transport link. Highways, trains etc. Plop them down next to a bus station or train station and watch as every fucker dog piles into your train station and cry as it explodes through the capacity you thought it would be ok with.

I'm downloading the old fashioned v3 megapack right now, where the bloody hell do I put this stuff?

Edit: I figured it out and holy hell that is a lot of stuff D:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 5, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Do any of you guys know if the mods work on the recent OS X release? It'd be cool if I could do this in class.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I think NAM does. Not sure about other stuff.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I installed NAM onto my OSX Steam copy. I got SPAM (that farming overhaul mod) and a few other minor mods in just fine. I plan to install that Old Fashioned mod as soon as I get home to decent internet again, but so far everything is as smooth as the PC version.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
If you want to wait another few hours, currently uploading a new goon pack which is data packed, has OF 3.0 and loads of new jazz since OF 3.0. It's the one I posted a few pages back and goons seem to like it. I'm just uploading a data packed version with a handful of new stuff I like.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Tai posted:

If you want to wait another few hours, currently uploading a new goon pack which is data packed, has OF 3.0 and loads of new jazz since OF 3.0. It's the one I posted a few pages back and goons seem to like it. I'm just uploading a data packed version with a handful of new stuff I like.

Data packed means the thousands of files are compiled into one mega-file right? Is it still as simple as dropping the folder/file into Plugins like I did with SPAM? And will it work with the OS X version of NAM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yeah, the files are condensed down to improve load times.

As for the mod pack, high likely NAM won't work since there is a Mac and PC version but you just swap it around. As for the other mods, I don't know honestly. There's no harm in trying I guess. There's a lot of SPAM mods in the pack currently uploading so at least you have different SPAM mods..

And yes, it is the same as the Mac. Drop it in the plugin folder.

• Locked thread