Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Elukka posted:

Man is that ever dumb when the whole point of dumping Dooku and taking on Anakin as his apprentice was his unrivaled potential for power.

Apparently having most of your body burned or cut off limits your force potential (probably because you have less *~*midichlorians*~* ), so after that Anakin wasn't really the powerful apprentice Sheev wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

burritolingus posted:

Sort of implied that Palp impregnated Vader's mom with the Force.

No, it's implied that Plagueis did it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Boba Fett action figure was a mail-away and came out before the Empire Strikes Back was released. Boba Fett also showed up in the holiday special. They hyped up Boba Fett as "the most feared Bounty Hunter in the Galaxy" and said he was this mysterious badass in the marketing, but he didn't do much in the actual movies. Also, he looks cool.

I remember they did something similar with some top-knotted female bounty hunter before the prequels and then she literally wasn't even in the movies. The official star wars magazine had her as a cover feature with a big interview/bio of the character and actress and I'm pretty sure she even had an action figure

Edit: this is her. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aurra_Sing she was on screen for like a second watching the pod race and she's force sensitive because of course she is

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 1, 2015

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Aesop Poprock posted:

I remember they did something similar with some top-knotted female bounty hunter before the prequels and then she literally wasn't even in the movies. The official star wars magazine had her as a cover feature with a big interview/bio of the character and actress and I'm pretty sure she even had an action figure

Pretty sure she was a spectator at the pod race, they show her for all of 2 seconds and I know this because :suicide:

For content the thing I hate about EU (& the films actually) is that each planet is only allowed a single terrain. Desert? We got that, the whole planet earth s desert! City? A whole planet of city! Swamp? Oh boy!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's a convenience thing used as a literary tool, just like stereotypes. And Vader's box for aesthetics like someone said a page back.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Edit: this is her. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aurra_Sing she was on screen for like a second watching the pod race and she's force sensitive because of course she is

quote:

"Fear me, Jedi! I am Aurra Sing, Nashtah, scourge of your kind! I haunt your darkest dreams! I drink Jedi blood; I nest in their guts! Your nightmares now have a name, hierophant, and that name is Aurra Sing!"

I can't believe they want to throw this literary artistry away.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kimmalah posted:

I can't believe they want to throw this literary artistry away.

I'm aura sing, that's my name, that name again is aura sing.

(To the tune of mister plow)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Does EU EU count? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSb2pxBGpcY

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

beanieson posted:

For content the thing I hate about EU (& the films actually) is that each planet is only allowed a single terrain. Desert? We got that, the whole planet earth s desert! City? A whole planet of city! Swamp? Oh boy!

The Star Wars Rebels cartoon is mostly set on a semi-arid planet that seems to be covered in desert and veldt but in the latest episode they travel to a different part of the planet where there's snow on the ground and I was all "Whuhhhh, I thought this was a desert planet, did the background artists gently caress up?"

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He' already exists and he's great. :colbert:

I actually have that lol.

When i was a kid and i would watch ESB, whenever the falcon left hoth and luke sees it take off i used to be really sad.

always felt like he was bummed he wasnt with his friends. told a friend that and they laughed at me and said they never considered that. but i guess thats star wars from a 5 year olds POV

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Star Wars Rebels cartoon is mostly set on a semi-arid planet that seems to be covered in desert and veldt but in the latest episode they travel to a different part of the planet where there's snow on the ground and I was all "Whuhhhh, I thought this was a desert planet, did the background artists gently caress up?"

they also do the thing where a planet isn't necessarily a specific climate or covered in a city but would still be ruled by an overarching theme like "high gravity planet", "two planets that share an atmosphere" or "the pollution planet". I'm pretty sure there's a ton of pollution planets.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just watched Star Wars Rebel's first episode. It is hot garbage. Never again.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

oohhboy posted:

i saw that dumb slingshot weapon the kid had and i was like 'lmao nope'

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

i saw that dumb slingshot weapon the kid had and i was like 'lmao nope'

Upside is the weapon basically never works on anyone for any reason.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

Upside is the weapon basically never works on anyone for any reason.

A stupid weapon constantly being spotlighted but sucking is actually worse than a stupid weapon being overpowered because then why even add it in the first place? Although i don't know anything about Star Wars Rebels other than its a new kids cartoon and I haven't seen any star wars cartoons other than the droid one from the 80s

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

A stupid weapon constantly being spotlighted but sucking is actually worse than a stupid weapon being overpowered because then why even add it in the first place? Although i don't know anything about Star Wars Rebels other than its a new kids cartoon and I haven't seen any star wars cartoons other than the droid one from the 80s

I dont know what you mean by being spotlighted. He seems to shoot it alongside other people shooting guns, it seems to work like a taser and annoys people and knocks them over occasionally.

Its worth watching if you got nothing else to do and is still better than anything in the prequels. The latest episode has frank oz doing yoda which turned out really well.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

I dont know what you mean by being spotlighted. He seems to shoot it alongside other people shooting guns, it seems to work like a taser and annoys people and knocks them over occasionally.

Its worth watching if you got nothing else to do and is still better than anything in the prequels. The latest episode has frank oz doing yoda which turned out really well.

i assumed it was a main characters weapon and thus being used all the time

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oohhboy posted:

There is a pink Boba Fett, this makes it good

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

i assumed it was a main characters weapon and thus being used all the time

Yeah hes a main character but his job is being the young kid who can pickpocket and open doors rather than actually fight people.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like Rebels

its got tie fighters and storm troopers and poo poo so I'm happy

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

shiksa posted:

this loving thread gave me an addiction to reading wookiepedia.

anyway, y'all heard of centerpoint station?

apparently its this huge tractor beam that has the power to move planets around. specifically, it was used to create the corellia system for... whatever reason. oddly, that's not explained in obnoxious detail. then everyone forgot about it for thousands and thousands of years because sometimes you lose track of something bigger than the death star just hanging out near one of the 5 planets that is brought up in nearly every star wars story.

oh also people lived in the middle of it because there was an artificial "sun" on the inside and i guess you could farm in it somehow? whatever, the sun was the power source for the tractor beam/lasers/other poo poo and someone fired the laser and it incinerated all the people who lived there lmao

also it was built by the bugs that had an orgy in NJO like a hundred thousand years Before the Battle of Yavin (tm) so obviously it must be more advanced than any modern weapon

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
So despite the star wars movies thankfully avoiding ~ancient superior precursor aliens~ the EU naturally brought them up over and over.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blowfish posted:

also it was built by the bugs that had an orgy in NJO like a hundred thousand years Before the Battle of Yavin (tm) so obviously it must be more advanced than any modern weapon

Oh, and the other 4-5 races with several hundreds of thousands of years of history just sit around in their local areas twiddling their thumbs and do absolutely nothing while the galaxy burns. They all 'regressed' and the "modern" technology at the time of the movies is as advanced as it can get, despite the EU constantly inventing new and more advanced technology.

Gotta be human for anything you do to matter in the Star Wars galaxy.

blowfish posted:

So despite the star wars movies thankfully avoiding ~ancient superior precursor aliens~ the EU naturally brought them up over and over.

The EU turned the Force into a family of 3 immortal beings living on a planet that was the center/source of the Force. The central antagonist to the last EU book series was a magical force being that said 3 immortals tossed aside. The 3 would then hire the orgy bugs to build poo poo whenever evil being got free.

quote:

But as the years went by, the Mother began to age while her family remained ageless. In her old age, she could no longer control the Son and Daughter's rivalry, and she began to fear that her family would abandon her. So in order to hold onto the life she had, the Mother decided to commit the Forbidden. While the Father was distracted by his warring children, she snuck a drink from the Font of Power just as the Son had done long ago. She then completed her transgression by bathing in the Pool of Knowledge like the Daughter, but the Father discovered her. But unlike the Ones, she was mortal, and so the Font and the Pool corrupted and twisted her. They granted her power, but twisted her mind and her body, creating the dark side entity known as Abeloth.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 2, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
You can't post about space Cthulhu without posting the image:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120221175850/starwars/images/b/b7/Abeloth.jpg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Those immortal Force people showed up on an episode of The Clone Wars. Which was mostly notable for getting Liam Neeson back to voice Qui Gon's force ghost.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

beanieson posted:

One thing that I give the prequels credit for is that Naboo seems to have pretty varied terrain.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Moola posted:

I like Rebels

its got tie fighters and storm troopers and poo poo so I'm happy

The ship's astromech droid is also a grumpy rear end in a top hat who almost kills them with dumb pranks every few episodes, he's great.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The Monkey Man posted:

One thing that I give the prequels credit for is that Naboo seems to have pretty varied terrain.

Maybe Naboo has a tourism-based economy, catering to all the people in the galaxy who want to see more than one terrain feature in the same location.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i like the rebels show

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pink Fett is cool and graffitis everywhere. Little kid has a weaker version of Chewbacca's bowcaster so it's no more stupid than that, a future laser crossbow

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I saw the first 9 or so eps on Rebels. It isn't particularly great, but it isn't bad either. It definitely feels like it has a much lower budget than Clone Wars.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

muscles like this? posted:

Those immortal Force people showed up on an episode of The Clone Wars. Which was mostly notable for getting Liam Neeson back to voice Qui Gon's force ghost.

I just watched this and thought "Wow that guy is doing a spot-on Liam Neeson impression"

Kinda surprising they got him considering he refused to be a Force ghost for like twenty seconds in Episode III

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I just watched this and thought "Wow that guy is doing a spot-on Liam Neeson impression"

Kinda surprising they got him considering he refused to be a Force ghost for like twenty seconds in Episode III

VA work is an easy paycheck and I think his objection was to working w/ Lucas again.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I think he couldn't appear in Episode III because he had a back injury.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
The real question burning inside me is:

Is the Clone Wars animated series worth watching?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Blackdog420 posted:

Suprisingly the answer is p much "ya."

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Blackdog420 posted:

The ones done by the Samurai Jack people? Those are pretty good.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Blackdog420 posted:

Clone Wars radiates from pretty fun to pretty awful. I haven't finished it, but my son and I sit down to watch an episode once a week or so. There are some great little stories in it when it focuses on clone troopers and crazy battles, but then it can veer off into whole episodes about diplomacy and trade disputes and idiocy. Case in point, this type of crap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zCLeEntvgs

Best thing of all though is that if it is sucks, it's short. Only 20-30 minutes or so. It does feel more episodic and serial-like at times, which is what I thought Lucas was always originally going for with Star Wars in the first place.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This thread is more serious EU discussion now than ironic, twisted and evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
When it's good it's good but then sometimes they spend like 4 episodes in a row with jar jar or C3P0 or a diplomatic mission or that underwater planet that was really loving boring. If a set of episodes seem like they are being lovely just skip ahead.

Of course knowing what one knows about Star Wars from the movies removes a lot of the tension. You know Obi-Wan, Anakin, R2D2 and C3P0 all have to make it alive to the later movies etc.

• Locked thread