Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

mds2 posted:

I've had this saw for a couple years and I'm pretty happy with it. It's accurate. I wish I would have gotten a slider though for the extra capacity. The hold down thing that comes with it is a joke and a complete design flaw. If you try to use the hold down you can't pull the saw all the way down to make a cut because the rod on the hold down hits the motor.

On the CF12 version you can use the hold down on the non-motor side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
My dad got my brother in law and I both a dewalt 20v drill/impact set. I have been wanting to get an impact driver but it looks like that's been taken care of for me!

Now I get to use them both helping my mom doing some remodeling at her house!

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
I got a bostitch 6 gallon compressor from my father in law for Christmas and when he was demonstrating it to me, he showed me his air gun. After returning home I bought a Kobalt branded air gun and it seems, well, leaky. The air pressure at the tip seems much lower than the one he had and a significant amount of air is lost via lateral holes on the air gun. Is this normal and I'm just misremembering the power of my f-i-l's air gun?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

snickles posted:

I got a bostitch 6 gallon compressor from my father in law for Christmas and when he was demonstrating it to me, he showed me his air gun. After returning home I bought a Kobalt branded air gun and it seems, well, leaky. The air pressure at the tip seems much lower than the one he had and a significant amount of air is lost via lateral holes on the air gun. Is this normal and I'm just misremembering the power of my f-i-l's air gun?

When you say airgun, do you mean?
Air Nailer
Air Sprayer
Air Impact Wrench
Crossman BB Air gun?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tater_salad posted:

Air Nailer
Air Sprayer
Air Impact Wrench
Crossman BB Air gun?

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Air Nailer
Air Sprayer
Air Impact Wrench
Crossman BB Air gun?

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-5-Piece-Quick-Connect-Blow-Gun-Kit/50129860

I'm sorry I wasn't specific at all. We both kept referring to it as a blow gun so blame my naïveté.

Edit-picked the wrong kit. Same blower, different tips.

snickles fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 1, 2015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

If it's leaking out of the side its either not tight enough or its broken. Did you use Teflon tape on the joints?
Were you using the same psi?

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

tater_salad posted:

If it's leaking out of the side its either not tight enough or its broken. Did you use Teflon tape on the joints?
Were you using the same psi?

I do not know what PSI he was using but increasing it only seems to increase the loss out of the sides. I don't understand the design of the nozzles but the air holes appear intentional. The threaded parts are taped and there isn't any leakage that I can tell. There doesn't appear to be leakage around the quick-fit connector either. If you look at the brass nozzle in this picture you can see some holes on the side well beyond what would be seated in the fitting. The extension nozzle also has these holes. The rubber tipped nozzle doesn't have these holes and has a more robust airflow.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

tater_salad posted:

Air Nailer
Air Sprayer
Air Impact Wrench
Crossman BB Air gun?

Hmm, what kind of pressure do CO2 BB guns run at? Might be economical (though hilariously dangerous) to make a refillable cylinder and use compressed air. Or just an adapter to run the hose into the gun, carnival-shooting-gallery-style.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Delivery McGee posted:

Hmm, what kind of pressure do CO2 BB guns run at?

Well liquid CO2 canisters are always right around 800psi in the bottle (until there's no more liquid left, of course) but I don't know about any internal regulators a particular device might have.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A mitre saw question. I'm buying one to do some new flooring, new baseboards, and build some furniture at a later point in time. Should I be going for a 12-inch blade, or a 10-inch? I just want to be sure that I'm not limiting myself in any way if I do decide on a 10-inch sliding mitre saw.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I would (and did) go with the 10" sliding, and have zero regrets. I find the blades are more readily available (and cheaper), it cuts everything I've ever needed to, and, as an added side bonus, my table saw also takes 10" blades, so if I need to buy a specialty blade, I only have to buy one. Granted, that doesn't happen often, but it has happened.

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys
I'm looking at getting an impact driver that matches the Dewalt batteries I have, and need to choose between brushed (DCF885) and brushless (DCF886). From what I understand brushless uses less battery power, although I'm only using around the house so this isn't a huge concern. I have anecdotal advice that brushless is less likely to break and/or when brushed tools break it is usually just the brushes that need replacing whereas brushless the whole unit is basically trash.

The local versions of these are priced around (Australian) $149 brushed and $169 brushless, although I have seen the brushed one on special for around $125.

Any advice? I can't find any direct comparisons between them online.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Bad Munki posted:

Well liquid CO2 canisters are always right around 800psi in the bottle (until there's no more liquid left, of course) but I don't know about any internal regulators a particular device might have.

drat, looking it up, you're right. The lil' finger-sized BB-gun 12-gram cans are ... you don't want to drop a box of 'em. I suppose a 100psi feed would give about the same performance as when the CO2-powered gun is covered in frost from overly rapid fire.

Wanna make a mortar -- drop an airgun CO2 cartridge down a 3/4"-ID pipe with a pin at the bottom, see how far it goes.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

I would (and did) go with the 10" sliding, and have zero regrets. I find the blades are more readily available (and cheaper), it cuts everything I've ever needed to, and, as an added side bonus, my table saw also takes 10" blades, so if I need to buy a specialty blade, I only have to buy one. Granted, that doesn't happen often, but it has happened.

I laid 133mm wide 19mm thick hard wood flooring last year. I've a 10" slider too and it did the job fine.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

snickles posted:

I do not know what PSI he was using but increasing it only seems to increase the loss out of the sides. I don't understand the design of the nozzles but the air holes appear intentional. The threaded parts are taped and there isn't any leakage that I can tell. There doesn't appear to be leakage around the quick-fit connector either. If you look at the brass nozzle in this picture you can see some holes on the side well beyond what would be seated in the fitting. The extension nozzle also has these holes. The rubber tipped nozzle doesn't have these holes and has a more robust airflow.

Those look dumb no clue why there are holes in the sides. If your fils set didnt have this then his would def be more powerful.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Delivery McGee posted:

drat, looking it up, you're right. The lil' finger-sized BB-gun 12-gram cans are ... you don't want to drop a box of 'em. I suppose a 100psi feed would give about the same performance as when the CO2-powered gun is covered in frost from overly rapid fire.

Wanna make a mortar -- drop an airgun CO2 cartridge down a 3/4"-ID pipe with a pin at the bottom, see how far it goes.

My dad converted a pistol when he was a kid. It took 8g cartridges, so he drilled an old one out, tapped it for 1/4" NPT, and put a barbed hose fitting in it. Then he drilled through the end cap that held the cartridge in, for the hose to pass through. He said it worked fine for the cheap pistol he was using.

I made an air cannon once that could run off of an air compressor or 12g cartridges. I had a 1-1/2" barrel for potatoes or other large objects, and a 3/4" barrel for smaller, heavier things. Like used 12g cartridges. I could get them to go pretty far, but I would think with the escaping gas it would fly very erratically. I preferred using the air compressor, though. It used a cartridge up per shot, and that added up quickly.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

melon cat posted:

A mitre saw question. I'm buying one to do some new flooring, new baseboards, and build some furniture at a later point in time. Should I be going for a 12-inch blade, or a 10-inch? I just want to be sure that I'm not limiting myself in any way if I do decide on a 10-inch sliding mitre saw.

Limited experience post, but I got a 12" and it's probably overkill for what I'm doing (simple tables so far) and it's quite large. I suppose if I ever need to build a deck it will come in handy. If you have the space and don't mind spending more on blades I would assume you'll be fine with a 12" but I wouldn't think you'll need it for flooring and baseboards.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

snickles posted:

Those holes are supposed to be a safety feature. I'm not sure what they protect against, but they're OSHA standard.

I can't stand that type of air gun. There is no control over pressure and they're uncomfortable to use. Get something like this,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BO6E1E

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

oxbrain posted:

Those holes are supposed to be a safety feature. I'm not sure what they protect against, but they're OSHA standard.

I can't stand that type of air gun. There is no control over pressure and they're uncomfortable to use. Get something like this,

Air-injection injuries, I guess? But yeah they're very much intentional and not much you can do about them other than not use that tip or just use a different airgun like that one.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, I'm quite happy with this set: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-blow-gun-set-68260.html

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

MrPete posted:

As an aside, I'd only recommend a 12" saw if it's going to mostly be in one place all the time.

I have the 12" bosch glide saw and while I love it, at close to 40kg it is a massive awkward pain in my arse to move anywhere.

Just something to keep in mind

I have to digress, well somewhat... If you have a proper shop with a miter station then sure, you're limited by space.

BUT... I'm a big proponent of mobile stands. I have a 10" Makita slider, a 12" Ridgid slider and a 12" Bosch fixed and have all three on permanently mounted on Ridgid mobile miter stands. When folded up vertically, they have about a 24" footprint and you can store them up against a wall or in a shed (which is what I do). Seriously, I love the poo poo out of these stands. I picked up each of mine on CL for like $50 a piece.

There's also the A-frame style universal stands but i'm not a big fan of those

Sointenly fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 2, 2015

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I'm trying to connect my shop vac up to my table saw dust collection port, but I can't find an adapter for it. The dust port is 2.5" and the shop vac is 1.25". All of the connecters I can find are for connecting 2.5" hoses to 1.25" hoses. And so don't fit. I was hoping to just find something that connects right up to the dust port. Am I going to have to buy connective hose to do this? Or does someone know of a magical connector that I'm not able to find?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm trying to connect my shop vac up to my table saw dust collection port, but I can't find an adapter for it. The dust port is 2.5" and the shop vac is 1.25". All of the connecters I can find are for connecting 2.5" hoses to 1.25" hoses. And so don't fit. I was hoping to just find something that connects right up to the dust port. Am I going to have to buy connective hose to do this? Or does someone know of a magical connector that I'm not able to find?

Not knowing anything about what the parts look like, what about a PVC pipe adapter? Or is that what you mean by hoses?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Have you seen Apollo 13?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

Lineman's pliers can't cut up close to something, like I particularly like to use diagonal cutters to snip zip ties off packages (hard on scissors). Tongue and groove or channel lock could replace slip joint, but they are a lot bigger, heavier and more expensive. Actually, I am not really sure what channel locks are good for. I mean I'm sure they are good at grabbing pipe (which I rarely do), but I use slip joint pliers to either pinch items or hold small nuts and bolts, for anything a slip joint can't handle I would prefer a wrench instead of channel locks.

SkunkDuster posted:

If I had to make a choice, I would go with a slip joint instead of a linesman. Linesman pliers have poo poo for grip on bolts and nuts and there are a lot of times when you need to get at one and don't have room to get in there with a T&G/arc joint/channel lock pliers. Get a diagonal cutter for general snipping and a small bolt cutter for more serious chomping.

If you are working on cars, a long-reach pliers is a godsend for getting into areas that are too small to get your hand into. Out of curiosity, where are you from? I've never heard the term "tongue and groove" to describe that type of pliers.

asdf32 posted:

Basically yes. I'd include right angle needle nose instead of regular needle nose.

For the tongue and groove I have these milwaukee ones which have a nicer locking mechanism.

Vice grip are key if you're working alone and need a second hand on a bolt or something. The long nose ones may be more versitile:

Tekton right angle from amazon:

I ended up getting these for $15 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-Piece-Pliers-Set-with-Bonus-8-in-Wrench-7019/205145008 for the needle nose, slip joint, and diagonal cutter; I already have channel locks.

I also go these for $5 http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Locking-Pliers-Set-2-Piece-96892/204406262 since cheapest long nose alternative is a single Husky pliers for $9.

$20 to cover all my bases seems decent.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Doctor Zero posted:

Limited experience post, but I got a 12" and it's probably overkill for what I'm doing (simple tables so far) and it's quite large. I suppose if I ever need to build a deck it will come in handy. If you have the space and don't mind spending more on blades I would assume you'll be fine with a 12" but I wouldn't think you'll need it for flooring and baseboards.
Well, I won't eliminate the possibility that I might put together a new deck at some point in the future. So maybe it's best that I go with the 12" saw. I'd rather feel like I had "too much" instead of not having enough.

Also, if I get a 12" mitre saw, is there any reason at all to keep a my DeWalt circular saw? I find that the circular saw is good for quick cuts, but it's never really accurate enough to get a squared edge.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

melon cat posted:

Well, I won't eliminate the possibility that I might put together a new deck at some point in the future. So maybe it's best that I go with the 12" saw. I'd rather feel like I had "too much" instead of not having enough.

Also, if I get a 12" mitre saw, is there any reason at all to keep a my DeWalt circular saw? I find that the circular saw is good for quick cuts, but it's never really accurate enough to get a squared edge.

Keep the circ saw, it serves an entirely different purpose.

Re: Hose adapter, you can make a wood version in minutes to at least tide you over. Just google it, lots of people make them.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

oxbrain posted:

Yeah, the vent holes on the sides are required for a couple of reasons. An air nozzle used to clean/blow stuff off isn't supposed to operate beyond a certain amount of PSI (I want to say 30 but I could be mistaken) and the holes help regulate that. They are also there to prevent your hand or other body parts from exploding in the event of your tip getting clogged or dead ended. If your nozzle feels weak, then it's probably in need of some tape or a fitting needs to be tightened (or just buy a new nozzle) because it's not really from those holes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Falco posted:

Not knowing anything about what the parts look like, what about a PVC pipe adapter? Or is that what you mean by hoses?

Yeah kind of. But then...

Erwin posted:

Have you seen Apollo 13?

Derp. The answer was sitting right in front of my face.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Are airtools actually useful for woodworking? I'm certain a rattle gun would be useless, I could see using a spray gun for finish and an air nailer might be nice but not used enough to justify purchasing a compressor. I am tempted to get a compressor, but honestly I think the main reason I want one is so that I can air up my tires in the garage instead of driving to the nearby gas station in -20F with high wind to spot either a half dozen cars lined up or discover the air is out of order.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

melon cat posted:

I built 2 decks over the summer with a 10" miter and it was such a pain. Unless you enjoy flipping posts and 2x8s and get uneven cuts, get a bigger one. Or rent it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

Are airtools actually useful for woodworking? I'm certain a rattle gun would be useless, I could see using a spray gun for finish and an air nailer might be nice but not used enough to justify purchasing a compressor. I am tempted to get a compressor, but honestly I think the main reason I want one is so that I can air up my tires in the garage instead of driving to the nearby gas station in -20F with high wind to spot either a half dozen cars lined up or discover the air is out of order.

I bought a compressor just to have a pin nailer and the ability to air up tires. It's totally worth it. That said, I bought a teeny tiny one that can't do much more than that so it wasn't a huge investment.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I use my compressor for blowing dust off the workpiece very often.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

wormil posted:

Keep the circ saw, it serves an entirely different purpose.
I'm not doubting the validity of your statement or anything, but what can a circular saw do that a miter saw can't? I'm only asking because every application that I've tried to use a circular saw for (cutting baseboards and laminate flooring, cutting scrap wood to make small furniture) would've been done so much faster and accurately had I used a mitre saw.

internet inc posted:

I built 2 decks over the summer with a 10" miter and it was such a pain. Unless you enjoy flipping posts and 2x8s and get uneven cuts, get a bigger one. Or rent it.
Thanks for commenting on that. You see, that's what I'm worried about. My last few projects would've been done so much quicker (and with less stress) had I had the proper equipment, and I just want to make sure that I don't run into a similar situation.

As for the rental issue- I'm finding tool rental costs to be really high. Usually around $150/day for things like mitre saw and wet saws. And if you're using it for the entire weekend, you'll end up spending a stupid amount on just renting the darned thing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

melon cat posted:

I'm not doubting the validity of your statement or anything, but what can a circular saw do that a miter saw can't? I'm only asking because every application that I've tried to use a circular saw for (cutting baseboards and laminate flooring, cutting scrap wood to make small furniture) would've been done so much faster and accurately had I used a mitre saw.

I've used my circular saw to trim tree branches, because I'm too dumb to get a pruning saw. Let's see your mitre saw do that!

Also, cutting plywood sheet or other long cuts like ripping a 2x8 into a 2x6 etc.. Doing cuts in place also (like framing work) where you can't take the work to the saw. I'm sure there are a bunch more applications, but I don't do much of any full-size wood working, so those are the ones I could think of.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

melon cat posted:

Rip cuts. Basically. Any cut over its max width in length. I'd like to see you break down an 8 foot by 4 foot sheet of plywood with the mitre saw.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I used my circular saw to cut dadoes once before I had a table saw. And this week I used it sorta like a router to trim up my new workbench I've been working on.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
In addition to what's been said about circ saws, you can build your deck then cut all the ends flush rather than cutting each board and try to line them up.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Plus you can bevel the edge of a board, cut tapers, cut holes in floors/walls/etc, cut rabbets, and if you're really in a bind, you can put an abrasive blade in and cut metal or masonry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

Air compressor is so useful, I bought a cheap 2.5 HP (<$150) Compressor and use if for so many different things. I'd imagine a small brad gun or staple would be useful for woodworking, if your doing any sort of building work a large framing gun speeds things up considerably.

There is also the advantage of having an air blower to dedust things quick. Really handy for automotive work even if it's just changing a tyre, checking tyre pressures etc. When I think about it's probably one of the best investments I made for my work shed, but I do like to DIY everything so of course i'd find a use for it.