Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
There's little in Magic that's more satisfying than winning through an Elspeth emblem. Of course, my opponent seemed to be playing 4 color goodsuff with only a little bit of goodstuff (timewalk).

Death by Woodfall Primus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Hey, y'all might not be MTG finance kinds of guys, but y'all should check out my friend Collin's new finance blog over at the Trading Post! He'll also be doing interviews of people that he meets during his travels, so those should be pretty awesome to read. Go check it out, he's a really smart guy.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Would it be insane to make that storageland accept 'X T: Add X counters' instead of the limiting 1?
Yes it would ramp rather nicely into a battery, but that seems to be the point? Especially so considering its built to play giant fuckoff dragons and little else.

Potentially it could do what?
T1: no storage - play a dork
T2: 2 in storage (with a dork)
T3: 2 more in storage and a bigger dork played...

Perhaps that would get a bit out of hand. Could potentially have 4 counters on it easily by turn 4... 8 mana? Ugin time? Does he even count as a dragon?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

DarkDobe posted:

Ugin time? Does he even count as a dragon?

Ugin is a Planeswalker with the subtype "Ugin."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BuckFitches posted:

Just a question to everyone, whats your preferred format?.

Draft :v:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I play standard and modern, personally.

Right now, I've got the cards for almost any standard deck going, except that I need butchers of the hordes, ashcloud phoenixes, and a couple of Sidisi, brood tyrant, but I've mostly ran variants of Abzan midrange, Aggro, or reanimator. I'm trying out UW heroic tonight at FNM, to see how I like it.

In modern, I've mostly run variants of burn, mostly RW, RWU treasure cruise, or 5 color burn. I'm also trying to parse my way around a 5 color Maze's end fog deck, primarily because why the gently caress not, my store mostly has people playing piles of crap, anyway.

Currently, I'm at this:

2 ea guildgate
4 ea maze's end

4x darkness
4x Holy Day
4x Fog
4x Batwing Brume

4x lingering souls
4x gatecreeper vines
4x hold the gates
4x crackling perimeter
4x Sphinx's Revelation

But I'm sure it can be greatly improved.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

kizudarake posted:

Right now, I've got the cards for almost any standard deck going, except that I need butchers of the hordes, ashcloud phoenixes, and a couple of Sidisi, brood tyrant, but I've mostly ran variants of Abzan midrange, Aggro, or reanimator. I'm trying out UW heroic tonight at FNM, to see how I like it.

In modern, I've mostly run variants of burn, mostly RW, RWU treasure cruise, or 5 color burn. I'm also trying to parse my way around a 5 color Maze's end fog deck, primarily because why the gently caress not, my store mostly has people playing piles of crap, anyway.

Currently, I'm at this:

2 ea guildgate
4 ea maze's end

4x darkness
4x Holy Day
4x Fog
4x Batwing Brume

4x lingering souls
4x gatecreeper vines
4x hold the gates
4x crackling perimeter
4x Sphinx's Revelation

I don't know much about 5C Maze's End, but you could probably throw out the Crackling Perimeter and possibly hold the gates for some counterspells/wrath effect/combo disruption.
Would Explore or Kiora Atua be much use to let you get more gates out faster? Or Urban Evolution?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I've seen a few people in this thread talk about the Tiny Leaders format, but it seems Starcity also has noticed the format, at least enough for one guy to write an article about it.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
As someone who loves to play sligh decks, I am disappointed with the reveals so far. Cmon wizards, where are the one drops.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BuckFitches posted:

Just a question to everyone, whats your preferred format? i'm wondering if i should give standard a chance again, seeing i just play edh these days mostly due to money limitations.

The only non-limited format I'll play anymore is 25$ commander ("island commander" or something). It's just commander but the cost of the deck at the time you build it has to be <25$. Cards are counted by the cheapest version of them per ssg. Basically I'm tired of seeing 3-4 thousand dollar commander decks, and even more expensive modern/legacy decks. Standard is boring for me in general, I hate netdecks.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

quote:

Mardu Assault Chief 2B

Creature - Human Warrior

3/2

Whenever ~ attacks,put a 2/1 black Warrior creature token onto the battlefield.

Dash 3B

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

More creatures should be depicted breaking through windows. :black101:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Are proper names of groups not capitalized in French?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

BuckFitches posted:

Just a question to everyone, whats your preferred format? i'm wondering if i should give standard a chance again, seeing i just play edh these days mostly due to money limitations.

In terms of quote-unquote real Magic, I play Legacy almost exclusively. It has a great deal of competitive depth and a huge variety of viable decks, and has more players who are just really excited about the deck they play than you're likely to find outside of EDH, which I find energizing. I'm lucky to live in a place where there are regular Legacy events, though. At this point I can't really recommend investing in starting Legacy unless you know you'll have plenty of chances to play it.

After building up my EDH arsenal and breaking it down again, I now have one EDH deck that's my big shiny baby, and occasionally brew gimmicky and/or cheap decks to have on the side. My playgroup doesn't play EDH as much anymore now that we're all into Legacy and I built a Cube, which has become our go-to casual format. I can't recommend cubing enough. It takes a good bit of planning and time to get it together but you can get a fun, varied experience for your whole playgroup at pretty much any price point.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

Are proper names of groups not capitalized in French?
Nope.

"French Assault Captain" would be "Chef d'assaut français"

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

kizudarake posted:

Currently, I'm at this:

2 ea guildgate
4 ea maze's end

4x darkness
4x Holy Day
4x Fog
4x Batwing Brume

4x lingering souls
4x gatecreeper vines
4x hold the gates
4x crackling perimeter
4x Sphinx's Revelation

take out holy day and use ethereal haze instead. this is the build i use when i futz around on MTGO:

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 2, 2015

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

I appreciate the value, but what's with the throwaway bodies? Attacking with a 3/2 on turn 4 is terrible in this standard format, and it leaves you with a bad chump. As someone who was playing, then moved on from, mono black aggro early in the format I'm going to say this guy is less than standard playable.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Balon posted:

I appreciate the value, but what's with the throwaway bodies? Attacking with a 3/2 on turn 4 is terrible in this standard format, and it leaves you with a bad chump. As someone who was playing, then moved on from, mono black aggro early in the format I'm going to say this guy is less than standard playable.

Think I'm going to agree with you. If the tokens came into play attacking or his dash cost 3 instead then he would have potential. At least giving him first strike so he doesn't die to everything would be an improvement. Neat card but he just doesn't quite seem to reach the mark.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Quick rules question pals.

Opponent has War Tax out and I drop a sudden disappearance, in response he pumps war tax, does the effect still stand even tho the war tax has been removed?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Balon posted:

Yeah anything like this that just bounces off Courser isn't going to be all that great.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AceClown posted:

Quick rules question pals.

Opponent has War Tax out and I drop a sudden disappearance, in response he pumps war tax, does the effect still stand even tho the war tax has been removed?

Yep, it's an effect until end of turn. Also, even if you play hasty dudes after your Disappearance, they can't attack for free.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I really hope the Mardu protoKhan makes for a good commander, I'd like to build something in the colours besides Kaalia.

Edit: though I might make one entirely about casting, buffing and protecting Zurgo.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 2, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really hope the Mardu protoKhan makes for a good commander, I'd like to build something in the colours besides Kaalia.

:confused:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

See my edit, and there are Oros and that angel from the Kaalia deck too, but they don't inform the deck building as much as Kaalia, nor are they so powerful.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just want to throw it out there that the worst part of this set is that over the course of 1280 years,, Tarkir had apparently no appreciable evolution in technology or societal structure even after the extinction of one of its most powerful species.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah anything like this that just bounces off Courser isn't going to be all that great.

Isn't there a warrior "Lord" you can drop on turn 2 or 3 that could make his turn 4 dash a little better?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Balon posted:

At least the rares in this set that are garbage for standard are looking awesome for draft.

Is there any sadder card than a 14th pick rare?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

End of Life Guy posted:

Isn't there a warrior "Lord" you can drop on turn 2 or 3 that could make his turn 4 dash a little better?

One that saves your guy, another that kills the courser. I'm keeping an eye on warrior tribal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

I just want to throw it out there that the worst part of this set is that over the course of 1280 years,, Tarkir had apparently no appreciable evolution in technology or societal structure even after the extinction of one of its most powerful species.
Neither has any other plane in the multiverse over how many thousands of years of Magic story.

You really wanna go down that rabbit hole?

Practical magic exists and it hasn't triggered an IndustrialThaumaturgical Revolution?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BizarroAzrael posted:

See my edit, and there are Oros and that angel from the Kaalia deck too, but they don't inform the deck building as much as Kaalia, nor are they so powerful.

Zurgo is like ten times the commander those are because you can drop Wrath effects indiscriminately and in fact should because Zurgo breaks a person in three swings.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Entropic posted:

At least the rares in this set that are garbage for standard are looking awesome for draft.

Is there any sadder card than a 14th pick rare?

The only thing sadder than a 14th pick rare is a 15th pick rare. I'd take basic Swamps over stupid Hardened Scales every time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There are definitely certain cards where, if you're drafting without taking basics out, it's correct to take the basic over them because there's a small chance you get paired against the person who takes it and they play it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AlternateNu posted:

People get really mad when you mix their wizards with guns and industry. As in, people can't fathom it even though individual cards like snap caster Mage have them. It's really odd and modern d20 systems were never popular.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

BuckFitches posted:

EDH and Legacy. Mostly because EDH is something a lot of people from my LGS play and it's easy to plan a group of 4-6 to get together once in a while. As far as Legacy, I run a stores monthly tourney and have options in the area to play once a week if I wanted to. I've dabbled in a bit of Modern as well. I tend to stay away from Standard, because it rotates.

Archenteron posted:

I've seen a few people in this thread talk about the Tiny Leaders format, but it seems Starcity also has noticed the format, at least enough for one guy to write an article about it.
I just started working on a list yesterday. Seems like fun. I've heard a lot of people describe it as "singleton legacy," but I don't think I agree. Is there a following anywhere with decent deck discussion?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BuckFitches posted:

Draft is the one true format, but I also play Standard and keep thinking I'll get into Modern but never actually end up playing it much.

When I got back into the game a few years ago I was really interested in EDH but eventually realized that I hate Magic formats that aren't 2-player. Politics just isn't my thing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

BuckFitches posted:

Just a question to everyone, whats your preferred format?
Right now, I really am enjoying standard. my nearest LGS has free-with-prizes standard FNM, and last week I went and played 4 completely different decks with 0 mirrors. I enjoy modern too, but I feel like the number of actually viable decks is much lower, or at least the amount of variety/homebrew is lower in my neighborhood.

Edit: I'd love to draft but the only places that have it don't start until at least 8pm, some as late as 10pm. Can't really be up until 12-2am drafting when I have to wake up for work at 5:45am. :(

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 2, 2015

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Chill la Chill posted:

People get really mad when you mix their wizards with guns and industry. As in, people can't fathom it even though individual cards like snap caster Mage have them. It's really odd and modern d20 systems were never popular.

Ravnica at least had, like, people doing jobs. I always liked that the Golgari were basically an entire plane's waste management system.

AlternateNu posted:

For how much the lore is trying to build up Dragon-less Tarkir as being some fundamentally broken place, it doesn't seem much worse off than any number of planes we've visited. If Dragon ruled Tarkir shows a plane that's war torn but has experienced significant evolution, implying that Khan ruled Tarkir was completely stagnant, I'd appreciate it a lot.

I'm picturing the 40K fluff, where the near-death of the Emperor of All Mankind doomed humanity to 10,000 years of circling the drain. Sure, it's silly to assert that no change would occur, but it's a nice way to underscore "yeah, poo poo's hosed." And card games probably aren't the best medium for nuanced storytelling anyway.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Vital Signs posted:

I just started working on a list yesterday. Seems like fun. I've heard a lot of people describe it as "singleton legacy," but I don't think I agree. Is there a following anywhere with decent deck discussion?

I've posted my Xira Arien and Doran lists before. They're not perfect but considering I'm the only person who doesn't play control, they're quite good at my store. The Doran deck is fairly weak if Doran dies, which is why I threw in a few combos for insurance. The format is a ton of fun. We've gone from 2 people playing to 4 with another 3 or 4 making decks in the last 2 weeks.

I'd say deck discussion would fit in the eternal thread rather than commander. I don't know of any outside places though. It's definitely not quite legacy commander because of the lack of consistency, but it's pretty close. The best part for me is it lets me play a bunch of sweet cards I would love to play in legacy if there weren't cards that are just better. Stuff like Phyrexian Arena and Bonfire (which I don't think I've ever not drawn on turn 3. :argh:)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Boxman posted:

"yeah, poo poo's hosed."

- Gerrard, to Greven Il-Vec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AlternateNu posted:

Reminder that the iron age lasted about that long most places around the world and the bronze age longer. Humanity has seen historically unprecedented levels of technological advancement since the start of the industrial revolution and it's not a good idea to look at more primitive civilizations and expect that kind of timeline.

• Locked thread