Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Tekopo posted:

If you found Gric too dry (and are burnt out on Euros in general), don't buy Terra Mystica.

I find Gric to be boring and dry, but I absolutely love Terra Mystica and will gladly play it as often as my group will allow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I have the best girlfriend ever. My birthday is New Year's Eve, and I never make a big deal about it. My various groups of friends always have their own plans set up, so each year I usually pick one group to hang out with, maybe get a cake, but it's mostly about celebrating the holiday. A few months ago, our gaming group that meets every Wednesday decided to do a New Year's Eve party, and unbeknownst to me, they decided to include a surprise birthday party for me. My gf got a bunch of my friends from our various groups to come out, organized a ton of great food, and decorated in a Galaxy Trucker themed way, complete with 4 tables set up for a mini-tournament. We had roughly 30 people show up and it was incredible amount of fun and I was really touched that people cared enough about little ole me to make it all happen.

Also our friend who does cakes professionally donated one of the most amazing cakes I have ever seen (and tasted):

Vlaada would be impressed. Also I got the Galaxy Trucker Anniversary edition, which I am very excited to try out in the near future.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Happy Birthday!

That Galaxy Trucker cake looks great. :toot:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Big McHuge posted:

I find Gric to be boring and dry, but I absolutely love Terra Mystica and will gladly play it as often as my group will allow.

Same. I disliked gric, but I love Terra Mystica.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

This is a great story. Happy birthday!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Had an awesome New Year's LAN/gaming party last night, and got through the main games I had been needing to learn/play (Dungeon Lords and Tragedy Looper). Dungeon Lords was slightly messy because it was really late so we kinda jumped in with my half-knowledge rather than study the rulebook. Had some rules misunderstandings that we discovered partway through (e.g. not paying monsters when hiring, only on payday), and certain turn orders were a bit messed up, but it fairly well for a first runthrough (despite one person nearly maxing out the scoreboard due to an abundance of great monsters).
Tragedy looper was really fun. One of my friends also has it so he was able to act as mastermind, which made learning it pretty painless. Had a semi-house rule that you couldn't talk about the specific strategy/deduction except between loops, which definitely seems like the right idea. Downside was we horribly died on the first start scenario, partially due to a few communication issues (though the nail in the coffin was a rules misunderstanding). I think what makes sense for future games is to let players say "I'll take care of X" or "I'll make sure Y gets out of the shrine", but not "I'm playing a vertical movement". Really great game though, and it looks like my concerns about game length shouldn't be an issue, given the ability to pick shorter/longer scenarios.

Also played some Dixit, which started out slow but became pretty great once people stopped giving one-word clues and just started having fun with ridiculous clues.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Some more questions if you'll oblige:

1) Anything to be aware of with the following games:
Quantum
Merchants and Marauders
Libertalia
Mage Wars

2) Which expansions are considered better for Race for the Galaxy? Arc 1 or Arc 2? I will probably play this mostly 2-3, maybe 4

As I mentioned, I already have Kemet on the way. I think I'll probably read the rule book and watch some playing of Archipelago and Terra Mystica. I might grab Legendary Encounters just because it sounds like the best out there of the cooperative not-Dominions and those are a safe bet. Going to read up on some of the further recommendations. Suburbia sounds interesting. I admittedly never gave Puzzle Strike a chance just because whenever it was being talked about anywhere it seemed to be more of a discussion/argument over the vocal designer's views.

echoMateria posted:

A Few Acres of Snow v2 << v2?

Sorry, 2nd Edition. When I was playing games more actively, there was a huge amount of hype over this game but it died down when people figured out an unbeatable strategy for one side. I thought this edition would have resolved that somehow but it sounds like its still in there from what I've read on BGG. Apparently the game is great if you don't know the strategy but I imagine it's frustrating to never be able to "un-see" it

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Sorry, 2nd Edition. When I was playing games more actively, there was a huge amount of hype over this game but it died down when people figured out an unbeatable strategy for one side. I thought this edition would have resolved that somehow but it sounds like its still in there from what I've read on BGG. Apparently the game is great if you don't know the strategy but I imagine it's frustrating to never be able to "un-see" it

A major problem is that the unbeatable strategy is trivial to discover if you have any experience with deckbuilding games whatsoever, to the point where it was obvious to people in this thread during their first play.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

2) Which expansions are considered better for Race for the Galaxy? Arc 1 or Arc 2? I will probably play this mostly 2-3, maybe 4

I like Arc 2 the most (I've played ~100 games of that, ~30 games of Gathering Storm, a bunch more on the Keldon AI program for other Arc 1 expansions). It adds more and better balanced cards than the first expansion of Arc 1, without becoming bloated in the way the game does as you add more expansions from Arc 1. In terms of pacing and card strength it feels only slightly stronger than the base game - if you'd like some serious power creep and combo play then go hog wild with all of Arc 1, the cards and synergy get pretty crazy by the third expansion.

Having said that, half of the box is taken up by the new Orb module which is hit-or-miss depending on the person you ask. I actually quite like it, but it is at an odd tangent to the core gameplay (it feels something like playing Carcassone and RftG at the same time). I personally would still recommend Alien Artifacts as the best expansion just on the strength of the cards included, you don't actually have to use the Orb if you don't want to.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
well I just got a party group to throw down CAH and play Avalon for hours so that's a success, everyone said it was the best party game they had ever played

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

T-Bone posted:

well I just got a party group to throw down CAH and play Avalon for hours so that's a success, everyone said it was the best party game they had ever played

Was part of said group and can confirm it's the best party game I've ever played. It sounds nerdy since it's merlin and king arthur and poo poo but it's actually a super basic easy to learn game involving intrigue.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just played six hours straight of 7 Wonders with two friends.

Good holiday.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Full day of gaming today, with Le Havre, Space Alert, Timeline Inventions, Roads and Boats, and Splendor. A good day.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
I played a bit of Tash Kalar on Boardgame Arena because I was too hungover to do anything else.

Solid start for the new year.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Mage Wars

I like Mage Wars, but it is a really daunting game. Imagine if you were playing Magic (or whatever other CCG) and instead of being limited to what was in your hand, you have your entire DECK to choose from. And like any other customizable game, you don't have to just be aware of what is in your deck, but in your opponent's as well. This may be okay with veterans who know the game really well, but for a newbie who is just using one of your decks to try it out, this is information overload.

Again, it's a good game, but it is super hard to get into.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is the 7 Wonders play mat worth buying? I get that its not super necessary, but the art on it is nice, and I'm wondering if ease-of-table-organization is gonna be enough of an issue to warrant a special mat.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Anyone have any opinion of the Feast for Crows 4-player expansion for the GoT Board Game? It's said to balance out the lower player count and speed the game up a bit, so I'm just curious what the actual opinions of it are.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jivjov posted:

Is the 7 Wonders play mat worth buying? I get that its not super necessary, but the art on it is nice, and I'm wondering if ease-of-table-organization is gonna be enough of an issue to warrant a special mat.

What the hell would you even put on it? 7 Wonders is three stacks of cards and two piles of chips. It'd take longer to set it up than to play.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You'd need to buy 7 of them to make the game consistent

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Merchants and Marauders

Ignore the second half of the title of the game; if you do anything remotely marauder-like, you'll enjoy a short-term gain, but you'll eventually be chased down by an enormous Navy ship that will promptly murder you.

Actually, just don't play that game; it's long and boring. Everything important depends on how lucky your dice are. It's... like Arkham Horror, except not co-op.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Lhet posted:

Tragedy looper was really fun. One of my friends also has it so he was able to act as mastermind, which made learning it pretty painless. Had a semi-house rule that you couldn't talk about the specific strategy/deduction except between loops, which definitely seems like the right idea. Downside was we horribly died on the first start scenario, partially due to a few communication issues (though the nail in the coffin was a rules misunderstanding). I think what makes sense for future games is to let players say "I'll take care of X" or "I'll make sure Y gets out of the shrine", but not "I'm playing a vertical movement". Really great game though, and it looks like my concerns about game length shouldn't be an issue, given the ability to pick shorter/longer scenarios.

That is not a house rule but listed on the rules as one of the two choices to run the game that players decide ahead of the game. Basically it is very hard for the Mastermind to win if players spend 15 minutes to discuss what to do every day and pick what card each one places. It also makes the game last ten times longer than the alternative. So it is recommended to play the game with "table talk" until players manage to win and then switch to "table talk off" which just means no strategy talk during loops (not even your "I'll take care of X" or "I'll make sure Y gets out of the shrine").

Which really is the ideal form of the game because it gets really, really long and quarterback-y otherwise. Last weekend we played the very first tragedy; Players kept making mistakes that would let me win by placing cards that would play into my plans, but since they talked and talked about it, someone eventually made a suggestion to play another card there to guarantee things and they ended up playing so safe that I wasn't able to counter them by playing according to the suggestions on the book. (Which makes it easy for them by playing a little too obviously)

Broken Loose posted:

A major problem is that the unbeatable strategy is trivial to discover if you have any experience with deckbuilding games whatsoever, to the point where it was obvious to people in this thread during their first play.

Didn't the "unbeatable strategy" consist entirely of something as basic to deck builders as trashing cards? I remember some discussion about it, but not the details.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 2, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

echoMateria posted:

Didn't the "unbeatable strategy" consist entirely of something as basic to deck builders as trashing cards? I remember some discussion about it, but not the details.
Yep. And then SU&SD tried to dismiss the complaint as something only ultra nerds would find.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Well you guys are really making me want Keyflower. I assume no reprint is planned, and I'd have to shell out around 80 to get my hands on it?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've found its never worth it to pay those stupid aftermarket prices. Keyflower is a popular game, it will be reprinted in the next year or two. Practice the art of patience.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lord Frisk posted:

I've found its never worth it to pay those stupid aftermarket prices. Keyflower is a popular game, it will be reprinted in the next year or two. Practice the art of patience.

You aren't very familiar with how Richard Breese publishes his games, then. I think Keyflower actually got a second print run, which got me hoping he'd see that maybe he could sell a few more copies of certain games at $50 when the market was bearing $300, but apparently not.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Megasabin posted:

Well you guys are really making me want Keyflower. I assume no reprint is planned, and I'd have to shell out around 80 to get my hands on it?

It's reprinting.

He won't reprint those old games. There are :reasons: All I can say is that I seriously doubt that it's going to happen. Also this is not his full time job.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 2, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I was at a friends house last night and we played a TTR game that lasted 3+ hours. I've only played it once before, is that a normal length of time to play?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

No, it's not. Your friends took waaaaaay too long to decide between three options.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

We were playing with the max number of people and took frequent food breaks so I suspect it had something to do with being unfocused. I would blame everybody doing their best old timey railway tycoon voice for slowing us down but that part was too fun not to do. I enjoyed the game but not the amount if time we took.

Actually how long do Avalon games run in your experience? Ours usually go for an hour since everybody becomes so engaged in discussion that there is oo much to talk about.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Avalon games tend to run from 40 min to an hour, though this is not all play time. Your group may just take their time with stuff. As long as it's enjoyable.

I, however, bought a 1 minute sand timer because if I let them, my friends would debate options all night.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The TTR stuff was irritating because there wasn't a great reason for it take long and I was getting bored of the game as a result. Avalon is ok being long because no matter how long it is, it's filled with intense debate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Frisk posted:

You'd need to buy 7 of them to make the game consistent

Its a center-table mat, where the decks and token supply hang out, not playmats for individual players.

Jedit posted:

What the hell would you even put on it? 7 Wonders is three stacks of cards and two piles of chips. It'd take longer to set it up than to play.

Fair enough.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Anyone else have a chance to try this? I'm now tempted as hell to grab it despite knowing I'll only get to play it like once every six months or so at best.

e: gently caress it, bought the last one (and &cetera and Temporum).
Imagine Le Havre, except there's a whole new aspect of managing the logistics of your resource chains as well. If that sounds cool, then you'll probably enjoy it a lot.
Also, the part count of Rosenberg games pales compared to Roads and Boats.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 2, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

I like Mage Wars, but it is a really daunting game. Imagine if you were playing Magic (or whatever other CCG) and instead of being limited to what was in your hand, you have your entire DECK to choose from. And like any other customizable game, you don't have to just be aware of what is in your deck, but in your opponent's as well. This may be okay with veterans who know the game really well, but for a newbie who is just using one of your decks to try it out, this is information overload.

Again, it's a good game, but it is super hard to get into.

Mage Wars really isnt much like Magic at all. Its sold as the thinking mans Magic but I would say it iis a lot closer to D&D vancian casting. Mage Wars lets you build two 3.5 D&D casters and fight them in a controlled environment that doesnt need a DM.

I just wish I could convince someone to play it with me. :( You think finding Netrunner opponents is hard? Try Mage Wars for some real solitude. Its a fantasitc game but dont buy it unless you have someone in mind to play it with. I couldnt even get people who play Agricola on a regular basis to try it because of how much upfront time investment it takes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

Fair enough.

I think you answered your own question when you first asked it.

jivjov posted:

It's an accessory that has next to no functional value but may have nice ascetic value. If you're fine paying for something purely to enhance your game visually then knock yourself out. If you only want accessory that have functional application then you should pass.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rutibex posted:

Mage Wars really isnt much like Magic at all. Its sold as the thinking mans Magic but I would say it iis a lot closer to D&D vancian casting. Mage Wars lets you build two 3.5 D&D casters and fight them in a controlled environment that doesnt need a DM.

I just wish I could convince someone to play it with me. :( You think finding Netrunner opponents is hard? Try Mage Wars for some real solitude. Its a fantasitc game but dont buy it unless you have someone in mind to play it with. I couldnt even get people who play Agricola on a regular basis to try it because of how much upfront time investment it takes.

I wasn't comparing it to Magic mechanically, but as a metaphor for how daunting having ALL the options can be. If anything, I'd compare it to a more complex Summoner Wars or something.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MildManeredManikin posted:

We were playing with the max number of people and took frequent food breaks so I suspect it had something to do with being unfocused. I would blame everybody doing their best old timey railway tycoon voice for slowing us down but that part was too fun not to do. I enjoyed the game but not the amount if time we took.

Actually how long do Avalon games run in your experience? Ours usually go for an hour since everybody becomes so engaged in discussion that there is oo much to talk about.

TTR seriously shouldn't take more than an hour at most. We used to play it as a quick filler game (with five people) while waiting for food to show up. It's actually hard for me to imagine what would even take three hours. Did people have a lot of problems with the rules or were people just taking forever to get through their turns?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I've got King of New York on its way. It looks like a good palate cleanser for my group between heavier games, with relatively quick setup. I also grabbed the Paint the Town Red expansion for Marvel Legendary because we've been trending on that game, lately.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Paradoxish posted:

TTR seriously shouldn't take more than an hour at most. We used to play it as a quick filler game (with five people) while waiting for food to show up. It's actually hard for me to imagine what would even take three hours. Did people have a lot of problems with the rules or were people just taking forever to get through their turns?

MildManeredManikin posted:

... playing with the max number of people and took frequent food breaks ..

I suspect this is more the root cause than anything.

I know it might make me sound a little like a dick, but I sort of hate when people feel the need to stop and have food breaks during games that aren't really that long. Put a bowl of chips or vegetables within reach before starting the game, fercryinoutloud. I mean, if it's a game of Twilight Imperium, I get it. Otherwise, don;t make a game that should be 45 minutes take 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So given how almost pointless the board is in Temporum, this is how I'll be traveling with it this weekend:

That's a Timeline box measuring a few inches by a few inches. Just putting the cards on the table negates most of the need for the board, and if the cards aren't enough to delineate the zone space for the crowns we can use a piece of paper or something. Funnily, Timeline is quite an appropriate box...

p.s. this is how I roll with the entire contents of the Carcassonne Big Box (minus the scoring board and instructions):