Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't have an Air 2, and it annoyed me that they removed it, but I also realized I have it on mute 99% of the time, anyway, so having to swipe to turn sound on and off wouldn't be a big deal to me. If they remove it from the iPhone, that will annoy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

So I'm new to iPads and the OP is woefully out of date. I want to get an iOS tablet as a gift for someone who likes her previous generation iPhone but resorts to a lovely old 1024x768 HP laptop when at home because of display size. The Apple store has the 32GB WiFi Mini 2 for $350. Given that her eyes are fine and she has no conceivable use for apple pay is there any reason not to go with this? I assume that the 16GB model is insufficient or I'd get a refurbished one. As much as the Air 2 looks like an amazing device it also costs a fortune and $350 is pretty close to as much as I'd like to spend.

Edit: Also, how often does the refurb site restock?

Loucks fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 28, 2014

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Photo Stream has disappeared from Photos.app. I remember getting a pop up either on my iPad or my iPhone about a beta iCloud photo thing and since then, Photo Stream has vanished. Anyway I can get it back?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Loucks posted:

Edit: Also, how often does the refurb site restock?
It's pretty much random, but very frequent. The 32GB Mini 2 is a great buy. Depending on how soon your purchase will be, if you're considering a refurb you might try to wait a few weeks to see how Mini 3 and Air 2 refurbs change the existing pricing. They should arrive by the end of January based on past events.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Roobsa posted:

Photo Stream has disappeared from Photos.app. I remember getting a pop up either on my iPad or my iPhone about a beta iCloud photo thing and since then, Photo Stream has vanished. Anyway I can get it back?

Nope, once you turn on iCloud photo it's gone.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's pretty much random, but very frequent. The 32GB Mini 2 is a great buy. Depending on how soon your purchase will be, if you're considering a refurb you might try to wait a few weeks to see how Mini 3 and Air 2 refurbs change the existing pricing. They should arrive by the end of January based on past events.

Thanks for the advice. Annoyingly the suggestion was made less than two weeks before the day, so I have basically no time to watch the refurb site. Here's hoping they get some 32GB Mini 2s in the next few days!

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

e.pilot posted:

Nope, once you turn on iCloud photo it's gone.

Can it turn it on on both devices? Would that solve it?

I've only had the pop up on one of my devices but I can't for the life of me remember which one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Roobsa posted:

Can it turn it on on both devices? Would that solve it?

I've only had the pop up on one of my devices but I can't for the life of me remember which one.

Yeah, iCloud photo will work the same way basically as photostream, just a bit more permanent than photostream was. Not sure if turning it off will bring back photostream functionality, pics from photostream are definitely gone though.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Aaaaand the refurb site is restocked! Ordered a 32GB Mini 2 with 1% off through eBates. Thanks for the help, iPad thread. Do they ever get those out more quickly than the 5-7 business day window listed on the site?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Sometimes, yeah.

The listed time is always the worst case scenario.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My ipad keeps losing the wifi connection (the icon is still there, but there's no actual connection). How do I fix it? Google shows me some stuff that doesn't seem to properly fix it.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Xabi posted:

My ipad keeps losing the wifi connection (the icon is still there, but there's no actual connection). How do I fix it? Google shows me some stuff that doesn't seem to properly fix it.

Do you have access to the router? Does rebooting the router work? I get this now and then with my iDevices. If t was juuuust a little more frequent, I'd start looking into a new router. But I could use an upgrade anyway.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Well I shouldn't have to buy a new router just because there's something hosed wrt ipads and ios8 and whatnot. Surely Apple's advice to all the people with these problems isn't "get a new router"? It's not a huge problem but still kind of irritating.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Is your router firmware up to date? I had that problem and it just needed an update.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Well I shouldn't have to buy a new router just because there's something hosed wrt ipads and ios8 and whatnot. Surely Apple's advice to all the people with these problems isn't "get a new router"? It's not a huge problem but still kind of irritating.

Routers wear out too and need replacing every so often.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Xabi posted:

Try doing a "reset network settings" on your iOS device. It fixed some connectivity issues that I had with WiFi at work.

e: Keep in mind that this will wipe all saved access points + credentials on your device.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 2, 2015

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

tuyop posted:

What? Explain how routers "wear out."

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Xabi posted:

I've read that a lot of people have this issue too so it's probably not the router. If you're jail broken get the wifried tweak.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

teraflame posted:

I've read that a lot of people have this issue too so it's probably not the router. If you're jail broken get the wifried tweak.

WiFried definitely works to fix the issue.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BeanBandit posted:

The rubber on the networking belt gets thin and then snaps.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Feenix posted:

The rubber on the networking belt gets thin and then snaps.

Tranny on my linksys blew last week, gotta take it to the shop

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Tranny on my linksys blew last week, gotta take it to the shop

we don't use hate words like tranny here, consider yourself reported and enjoy youre ban.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

BeanBandit posted:

Um. Electromigration?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Erosion from cosmic radiation.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

bobfather posted:

Um. Electromigration?

wikipedia posted:

In modern consumer electronic devices, ICs rarely fail due to electromigration effects. This is because proper semiconductor design practices incorporate the effects of electromigration into the IC's layout. Nearly all IC design houses use automated EDA tools to check and correct electromigration problems at the transistor layout-level. When operated within the manufacturer's specified temperature and voltage range, a properly designed IC device is more likely to fail from other (environmental) causes, such as cumulative damage from gamma-ray bombardment.
:science:

Unless you were joking, in which case...
:saddowns:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BeanBandit posted:

I'm not an electrician, it just seems unlikely to me that a consumer electronic that spends its entire life turned on can last forever. I don't know why these things break after a few years, it just seems to me that they do.

But hey, maybe your $45 linksys will continue to broadcast a wifi signal until the heat death of the universe, I don't even know.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
It is running out of electricity

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

BeanBandit posted:

Well, if they are anything like the mountain of Netgear devices I've thrown in the bin over the past decade, it's failed RAM. Every single one of them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tuyop posted:

This, it happens.

It's rarely the iDevices.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

e.pilot posted:

This, it happens.

It's rarely the iDevices.

Except this time it probably is the iDevice. This is exactly what was happening to me (and others) on 8.0 a few months back. It didn't really resolve itself for me until the most recent update. I would stay linked on WiFi... other networked machinery worked fine, but my iPad and iPhone would stop being able to access internet until I rebooted (or Airplane mode'd, in some cases...)

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Also, just going to say, if you're still rocking an 8 year old 802.11g router, you should probably replace it. Wireless AC is pretty sweet.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Feenix posted:

Except this time it probably is the iDevice. This is exactly what was happening to me (and others) on 8.0 a few months back. It didn't really resolve itself for me until the most recent update. I would stay linked on WiFi... other networked machinery worked fine, but my iPad and iPhone would stop being able to access internet until I rebooted (or Airplane mode'd, in some cases...)
Yeah, this is what's happening here but only to my ipad. The iphone's fine for some reason, and so is everything else. Unless there's some ipad-spesicic RAM explosion inside the router, I'm pretty certain it's not the router that's at fault.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

BeanBandit posted:

Silicon rot, always rotate your cables every 500gb.

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee
My iPad 3 is on 7.1.2 Any downsides if I upgrade it to 8.1.2? Will it make it unusable?

flongofthenight
Aug 2, 2003

sup?

Vaz posted:

My iPad 3 is on 7.1.2 Any downsides if I upgrade it to 8.1.2? Will it make it unusable?

I recently did mine about a month ago and it's doing well, not at all slow like I thought it might be. No problems at all.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Vaz posted:

Performance did degrade slightly on my old 3, but not unusably so. It felt closer to performance on 7.0 than 7.1.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

unlawfulsoup posted:

Silicon rot, always rotate your cables every 500gb.

There is a problem with solder called whiskering that became more of a thing once RoHS became the norm. Basically your devices might start to short themselves out as they age because they'll literally start sprouting growths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisker_(metallurgy)

This is also one reason why any article complaining about "planned obsolescence" is pretty much whiny BS in the consumer electronics industry. No device is designed to last forever.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm looking at getting an Air 2 on the weekend. Since the OP hasn't been updated for ages, are there any links within this thread that cover which Air 2 covers/protectors are worth buying?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

I'm looking at getting an Air 2 on the weekend. Since the OP hasn't been updated for ages, are there any links within this thread that cover which Air 2 covers/protectors are worth buying?

The Wirecutter does a good job reviewing iPad accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

This is a fairly basic question, but Google isn't being particularly helpful. I'm using an iPad 4 on iOS 7.1.1, and whenever I capitalise the first letter of a word then delete the whole thing it remembers that the first letter was capitalised. So the sequence of keystrokes Shift-a-b-Backspace-Backspace-a-b gives the string "Ab", not "ab". This pisses me off every time I accidentally hit Shift instead of the first letter of a word. Is there any way to disable it without rooting? (I'd rather not turn off auto-capitalisation altogether since I quite like the way it capitalises the first letter of each sentence.)