Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roobanguy posted:

i thought chris-chan started going to therapy.
If she is, I'm not sure what it's doing for her. Even still, I think she has a LONG way to go before it'll really make a difference.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Jus' so we're on the same page, this is the sonichu guy we're talking about, right?
Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Endless Mike posted:

If she is, I'm not sure what it's doing for her. Even still, I think she has a LONG way to go before it'll really make a difference.

Yep.

Are you calling Chris-chan "she" on purpose? If so, that would explain a lot of what's wrong with Chris-chan (aside from the shithead abusive father).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dpbjinc posted:

Are you calling Chris-chan "she" on purpose? If so, that would explain a lot of what's wrong with Chris-chan (aside from the shithead abusive father).

Chris Chan is a bad person that does bad things, but their "fandom" has hosed them up even more and are very obsessed. The wiki is creepily thorough.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

She is now self-identifying as a lesbian trans female. While I don't personally think she's legitimate in that, I also think she deserves the same respect as any transexual, and I realize I made the mistake of referring to her as "he" above.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I really wish people on other sites would stop talking about/making GBS threads on Chris-Chan. It's just cruel, no matter how odd a person may be.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CowboyAndy posted:

I really wish people on other sites would stop talking about/making GBS threads on Chris-Chan. It's just cruel, no matter how odd a person may be.

Well, I mean, they DID mace someone for trying to stop them from vandalizing merchandise, among other things.

The trolling just makes things worse, and most of their trolls are just as bad.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 2, 2015

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Endless Mike posted:

She is now self-identifying as a lesbian trans female.

This seems awfully convoluted. Was liking females as a guy just too conventional or what?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zoe posted:

I sure an glad Mega Man fans are pretty normal overall. Even when looking the internet as a whole, Sonic got the lion's share of the bugfuck crazies.

One thing I noticed during the Sonic crossover, all the letters to the editor about Mega Man were questions like '[some robot] is so awesome, when will they show up?' while a lot of the Sonic stuff was straight up shipping.
Eh, despite some anger issues (a lot of it justified), the MM fandom usually has other things to do than be hang up on the stuff that brought the worst out of the sonic fandom.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Eh, despite some anger issues (a lot of it justified), the MM fandom usually has other things to do than be hang up on the stuff that brought the worst out of the sonic fandom.

Like play new Mega Man games!
Oh. Right. :smith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I have seen more good Mega Man sprite comics then Sonic. Point goes to the Mega Man fandom. Maybe that's why the Archie series is so good.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

WickedHate posted:

I have seen more good Mega Man sprite comics then Sonic. Point goes to the Mega Man fandom. Maybe that's why the Archie series is so good.

Not to mention that in addition to being THE depository for game info and the like, the Mega Man Homepage was such a good source of wholesome, non-creepy fanfic for so many of us during our childhoods, maybe that had a positive effect is lessening the usual feverish fandom insanity. Either way it was pretty great looking it up just now and seeing it was still around. :) It's seriously been like 20 years now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zoe posted:

Not to mention that in addition to being THE depository for game info and the like, the Mega Man Homepage was such a good source of wholesome, non-creepy fanfic for so many of us during our childhoods, maybe that had a positive effect is lessening the usual feverish fandom insanity. Either way it was pretty great looking it up just now and seeing it was still around. :) It's seriously been like 20 years now.

Oh drat, yeah. Old video game fansites are a total nostalgia bomb. Archie needs to get the Mario license.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Really like how the rebooted Sonic comic has effectively become like the Mega Man comic, ie. pretty much a far more fleshed out version of the games stories with lots of neat side characters

except for Eclipse

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Oh drat, yeah. Old video game fansites are a total nostalgia bomb. Archie needs to get the Mario license.

Actually, apparently sometime in 2009, they did try to get the license for nintendo games the same time they were getting the capcom license but Nintendo said no. They actually have some concept art: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=134338

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Blockhouse posted:

Really like how the rebooted Sonic comic has effectively become like the Mega Man comic, ie. pretty much a far more fleshed out version of the games stories with lots of neat side characters

I just checked Comixology and it seems there are multiple Sonic series. Someone please link to the exact place where it's good, I don't want to make a terrible mistake.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Zoe posted:

I just checked Comixology and it seems there are multiple Sonic series. Someone please link to the exact place where it's good, I don't want to make a terrible mistake.

Here

There's still some bullshit after issue #161, but when you're trying to flush down so much crap it's bound to smell for a bit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

cartoons123 posted:

Actually, apparently sometime in 2009, they did try to get the license for nintendo games the same time they were getting the capcom license but Nintendo said no. They actually have some concept art: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=134338
I wouldn't be surprised if that story was some version of Nintendo saw the whole Penders to-do and figured they were gold with Viz putting out Pokemon Adventure and the Zelda Manga.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Goddamn it, Penders. :argh:

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
Nintendo is pretty protective of their IPs these days. That we even got a Kirby anime when we did is odd to me. I doubt NoA will have us see any new comics anytime soon that aren't old NP reprints (and you can probably forget about the old Valiant comics).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Stink Terios posted:

Here

There's still some bullshit after issue #161, but when you're trying to flush down so much crap it's bound to smell for a bit.

I'd go further after that and just start after the Mega Man crossover since that's when Sonic soft-reboots anyway (I think that's like #250 or something?). I started reading there and managed to grasp everything in like... 2 issues.

(Yes I am he who has 'fessed up to reading Sonic comics in TYOOL 2015. :negative:)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 3, 2015

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

TwoPair posted:

I'd go further after that and just start after the Mega Man crossover since that's when Sonic soft-reboots anyway (I think that's like #250 or something?). I started reading there and managed to grasp everything in like... 2 issues.

Yeah this is the route I wound up going, I figured I'd already read through the crossover so why not.

The ending of the crossover was super dumb btw but if it really was just a desperate attempt to jettison the last of the garbage then I forgive them. I hope the heroes going all magical and glowy to solve their problems isn't like a common occurrence in this series though, that's just so cheap and lazy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zoe posted:

Yeah this is the route I wound up going, I figured I'd already read through the crossover so why not.

The ending of the crossover was super dumb btw but if it really was just a desperate attempt to jettison the last of the garbage then I forgive them. I hope the heroes going all magical and glowy to solve their problems isn't like a common occurrence in this series though, that's just so cheap and lazy.

It's also very true to the source material.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
On one hand, maybe it was super dumb, on the other hand-

It's all my childhood dreams come true :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That and Archie Eggman, who, and let's not mince words, is a piece of work and a half (so much that Wily wants nothing to do with him after he tries to murder Light) is the one to do it is just the exclamation point to the Sagas run.

More or less, Eggman Won and murdered a hell of a lot of people some of which readers actually liked.

And then there's the legend that is EL GRAN GORDO.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 3, 2015

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

ConanThe3rd posted:

That and Archie Eggman, who, and let's not mince words, is a piece of work and a half (so much that Wily wants nothing to do with him after he tries to murder Light)

Yeah, that was the greatest holy poo poo moment and a highlight of the crossover for me. In the Mega Man comics you can't help but like Wily no matter what ridiculous scheme he's on about, Robotnik on the other hand (sorry I can never get used to calling him 'Eggman' is apparently the puppy-kicking sort of Evil with a capital 'E' .

But of course let's not forget that his actions directly led to this image of Dr. Light being a badass:

So all is forgiven.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I was just about to bitch and moan, "whose dick do I have to suck for there to be another Mega Man sale on Comixology?" since I've been holding off since book five.

And now there's a big drat sale! I am glad to reap the rewards of fact-checking.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
ffs, this happens now? I want refunds on all the books I bought last week :saddowns:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Glad to see the reboot is keeping it relevant.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zoe posted:

Yeah, that was the greatest holy poo poo moment and a highlight of the crossover for me. In the Mega Man comics you can't help but like Wily no matter what ridiculous scheme he's on about, Robotnik on the other hand (sorry I can never get used to calling him 'Eggman' is apparently the puppy-kicking sort of Evil with a capital 'E' .

But of course let's not forget that his actions directly led to this image of Dr. Light being a badass:

So all is forgiven.
Really I have two thoughts on things re: archie Sonic/Megaman

1) Will Archie Eggman eventually soften to his game counterpart? Cause I really like Archie / SATam Eggman just being a sociopath (or whatever his major malfunction is) as I like game Eggman being just left of Starscream in terms of danger.

2) Will any attempt to get the MMBN universe involved be blocked by Viz's ownership of the NT Warrior licence?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

ConanThe3rd posted:

Really I have two thoughts on things re: archie Sonic/Megaman

1) Will Archie Eggman eventually soften to his game counterpart? Cause I really like Archie / SATam Eggman just being a sociopath (or whatever his major malfunction is) as I like game Eggman being just left of Starscream in terms of danger.

2) Will any attempt to get the MMBN universe involved be blocked by Viz's ownership of the NT Warrior licence?

What was the difference from the game Eggman? From the comic I remember Eggman is basically a digitized version of Robotnick.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To get to the point (because the Retcon cleaned alot of the slate on the matter), Eggman in the comics is more ruthless than the Games would paint him as. How much of that has been erased due to the retcon is anyone's guess but what we do know is a) The Roboticizer was a thing and b) the people who were working for him know it was a big deal and basically work with him to avoid being on the working end of it.

He also isn't above outright murder (Though that was the Crossover so we'll see if that sticks) so there's that.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 10, 2015

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

ConanThe3rd posted:

He also isn't above outright murder (Though that was the Crossover so we'll see if that sticks) so there's that.

Kind of a moot point anyway when Robotocizing someone is arguably worse.

Anyway, I've started reading the Sonic volume that takes place immediately after the crossover and enjoying how every other panel is basically the characters marveling at how much less lovely everything and everyone in the new world is. Things must have gotten hilariously bad before the reboot.

I like that Robotnik has actual animal people working for him now too, might make for more interesting plots than Sonic just wiping out endless waves of mindless robots. All in all what I've read so far has been much better than I expected, though as far as kids comics with little blue heroes goes I still vastly prefer Mega Man...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The difference is that game Eggman is only sorta threatening until the Actual Villain shows up, then he teams up with Sonic, or at least backs down until everything's over. Comic Eggman is/was (I don't know how the reboot shakes out) a complete goddamn psycho who
1) has ruled most of the world for ten years
2) would be okay with breaking the universe if Sonic went down with it
3) traps his nephew in the deepest darkest corner of his own prison, but not before having him replaced with a loyal machine doppelganger
4) There's probably other stuff, I am on mobile so I can't check

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah Game Eggman is basically an egotistical manchild who just wants to rule the world 'cause he's smart while comics Eggman keeps the ego but is also an outright psychopath who enjoys being a brutal, murderous dictator. The former would be horrified at the later.

I mean at one point he powered his city with the lifeforce of helpless prisoners, off-screen killing off most of the comic's surplus supporting cast.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder sometimes if Flynn's portrayal of crazy Eggman circa #200 and ruthless Eggman subsequent to that was influenced at all by suicidal/genocidal Robotnik from the end of the STC run (where Robotnik becomes depressed over his constant defeats and decides he wants to destroy the world because conquering it no longer interests him).

Probably not. I mean, I know Flynn is familiar with STC, but it was almost exclusively a British thing. Still, I cannot help but draw the comparison.

On that topic, apparently, Nigel Kitching offered to let him use the Brotherhood of Metallix in Archie Sonic but they agreed the rights issues would've made it more trouble than it was worth.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah, this is the Robotnik I was expecting.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zoe posted:

Yeah, this is the Robotnik I was expecting.

Comics Eggman would still do this, there'd just be more legitimately threatening ones mixed in there.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

YggiDee posted:

The difference is that game Eggman is only sorta threatening until the Actual Villain shows up, then he teams up with Sonic, or at least backs down until everything's over. Comic Eggman is/was (I don't know how the reboot shakes out) a complete goddamn psycho who
1) has ruled most of the world for ten years
2) would be okay with breaking the universe if Sonic went down with it
3) traps his nephew in the deepest darkest corner of his own prison, but not before having him replaced with a loyal machine doppelganger
4) There's probably other stuff, I am on mobile so I can't check

Also, he came from an universe where he roboticized himself and killed his Sonic counterpart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh Ivo, if you had only been a little less of a psycho, it makes me so sad to think of what might have been...

Stink Terios posted:

Also, he came from an universe where he roboticized himself and killed his Sonic counterpart.

Whoa, say what now?

• Locked thread