Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems pretty okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Oh look, a better Chandra's Phoenix. Yes please.

I call it Stormbreah Dragon's little buddy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The rest

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Supplant Form is really, really cool.

That Phoenix is also amazing.

Citadel Siege seems aite.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The activated ability on the Hordechief is hilarious. I'm not sure its good, since the static ability encourages going wide, but I guess you can make them quadruple block your 1/1 goblin.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
With all of these bolster effects and giving counters to things, I'm hoping Sage of Hours can go infinite turn 4.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Rinkles posted:

Neat Stuff

My Braids, Conjurer Adept EDH deck is excited about Supplant Form because I hate having friends.

The rest I'm not sure about. Brutal Hordechief seems really good in limited but it's mythic so welp. Still really cool, even if it turns out to be not the greatest. Rabblemaster/Monastery Mentor decks maybe?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I've posted my Xira Arien and Doran lists before. They're not perfect but considering I'm the only person who doesn't play control, they're quite good at my store. The Doran deck is fairly weak if Doran dies, which is why I threw in a few combos for insurance. The format is a ton of fun. We've gone from 2 people playing to 4 with another 3 or 4 making decks in the last 2 weeks.

I'd say deck discussion would fit in the eternal thread rather than commander. I don't know of any outside places though. It's definitely not quite legacy commander because of the lack of consistency, but it's pretty close. The best part for me is it lets me play a bunch of sweet cards I would love to play in legacy if there weren't cards that are just better. Stuff like Phyrexian Arena and Bonfire (which I don't think I've ever not drawn on turn 3. :argh:)
Thanks for the info. How long do games usually take?

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Hordechief is cool. Reminds me of hellrider and that card owned.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mardu Shadowspear is a better Pulse Tracker, but I don't remember that card seeing any play.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
It is a much better Pulse Tracker. Just not taking a turn to play if you need two more damage is great.

And the Hordechief is never not gonna be a windmill slam in Draft.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
oh hey its hellrider.

hellrider is a much much stronger card that the current power level of cards. this card is going to be expensive if it has a deck

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Brutal hordechief is an awesome closer. Forcing your opponent to put all his guys on only one attacker is a great way to finish off a game that goes too long. Phoenix is sick too, I love phoenix cards and that one is definitely playable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hordechief is Odric if Odric didn't have a really stupid condition on the ability.

I like it.

But yeah it's like they took Hellrider and Odric and made them one big ol' Orc.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Vital Signs posted:

Thanks for the info. How long do games usually take?

Usually a little longer than normal legacy games. It depends on the decks, obviously. Playing against my friend with Esper and 4 copies of Swords to Plowshares usually takes longer than Grixis with a bunch of Pyroclasm effects which I don't care about at all.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Boxman posted:

The activated ability on the Hordechief is hilarious. I'm not sure its good, since the static ability encourages going wide, but I guess you can make them quadruple block your 1/1 goblin.
It is definitely good because you force them to block your 1/1 rabblemaster goblin token with everything and then proceed to deal 15 damage from everything else being unblocked. And that's after you drain life for 5 for free just off attacking. Dude's an amazing mardu finisher.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Master Warcraft wasn't really ever playable but stapling it on a creature seems neat, sure.

Especially when wraths are at an all time low.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dudermcbrohan posted:

Hordechief is cool. Reminds me of hellrider and that card owned.

I don't know, the effects are much more powerful but Hellrider having haste was pretty important. It meant it did something on its own on the turn it came into play, which is nice for 4 drops.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Elyv posted:

I don't know, the effects are much more powerful but Hellrider having haste was pretty important. It meant it did something on its own on the turn it came into play, which is nice for 4 drops.

oh don't get me wrong Hellrider is a much stronger card than this one. But if hellrider was reprinted standard would be broken in half. So a worse hellrider is still very good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Elyv posted:

Also you can redirect Hellrider's damage to a Planeswalker but you can't redirect the life drain, although I'm not sure if that's really a major factor in evaluating the card

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I wonder if there's a good enough red creature with 4 power to merit running both it and Flamewake Phoenix in RDW.

Fanatic of Mogis sure but that's mainly a finisher card.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Elyv posted:

Yeah, I feel hellrider is the stronger card but hordechief is still good. Can you imagine curving out with rabblemaster into hellrider?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Count Bleck posted:

I wonder if there's a good enough red creature with 4 power to merit running both it and Flamewake Phoenix in RDW.

Ashcloud Phoenix?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Stormbreath Dragon is the obvious one. I'd really like Shaman of the Great Hunt to work but his toughness is probably too low for him to not just die as soon as he comes in every time.

e: Ember Swallower is also fairly decent.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Elyv posted:

Just manifest him, problem solved. :colbert:

Morphs, manifest(s/ations?), a mess of different tokens, this is going to be a messy standard for casual games. I'm going to need to make sure I've got a bunch of cards kicking around.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Entropic posted:

Neither has any other plane in the multiverse over how many thousands of years of Magic story.

You really wanna go down that rabbit hole?

Practical magic exists and it hasn't triggered an IndustrialThaumaturgical Revolution?

Ravnica exists, and wasn't always a Omegaopolis with Steam-Wizards.

There's also other societal growth and changes to consider, beyond "Iron Age -> Industrial" but I don't really think Creative is going to dump all that sort of nuanced stuff on us because most people don't actually care. (For example though, If I recall correctly the Abzan and Jeskai have become more urbanized since the end of the dragons, and the Abzan are hinted at having gone through different periods of varying degrees of nomadism.)

Also holy poo poo Hordechief, BW/Mardu Warriors is so a go. .

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Usually a little longer than normal legacy games. It depends on the decks, obviously. Playing against my friend with Esper and 4 copies of Swords to Plowshares usually takes longer than Grixis with a bunch of Pyroclasm effects which I don't care about at all.
Good deal. Time to start working on a deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Stormbreath Dragon is the obvious one.

qbert posted:

Ashcloud Phoenix?

:doh:
I run these frequently and don't know how I forgot about them.

I need more coffee..

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Mardu loving hates windows. I like the 1-drop.

Dunno about the blue instant, I'm glad it fucks up Whip self mill, I wish it wasn't blue. I again must voice concern about how powerful blue looks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

(For example though, If I recall correctly the Abzan and Jeskai have become more urbanized since the end of the dragons, and the Abzan are hinted at having gone through different periods of varying degrees of nomadism.

I wonder if they have any in universe explanations for why only Mardu and Abzan got new clan mechanics in Fate.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mardu loving hates windows. I like the 1-drop.

Dunno about the blue instant, I'm glad it fucks up Whip self mill, I wish it wasn't blue. I again must voice concern about how powerful blue looks.

See, it's the wincon U/B control needed: Your opponent's wincon. :getin:

But yeah blue looking mighty strong in this set.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I wonder if they have any in universe explanations for why only Mardu and Abzan got new clan mechanics in Fate.

How do you outlast dragons if they're still around?

As for raid I dunno, it would seem to make more sense to have raid be the mechanic in the set about fighting against dragons :haw:.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Seems pretty okay

I just noticed this actually seems really good in that Jund coloured Dredgevine deck that runs around a little bit in Modern.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

odiv posted:

Just manifest him, problem solved. :colbert:

Morphs, manifest(s/ations?), a mess of different tokens, this is going to be a messy standard for casual games. I'm going to need to make sure I've got a bunch of cards kicking around.

I laready have a sizable stack of Morph markers (currently being repurposed as Drakes for Talrand EDH) and I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a similar amount of Manifest markers.

It's me, I'm the guy who picks up all the tokens nobody wants after the store does a draft. I also accept disowned tokens form people. Never know when you might need a 0/1 White Goat or a 4/4 Green Elemental or a 1/1 Green and White Elf Warrior. :shepicide:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I just noticed this actually seems really good in that Jund coloured Dredgevine deck that runs around a little bit in Modern.

I actually forgot that deck existed and yeah, this actually looks pretty good in that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does Flamewake attack after being brought back from the yard, or is it too late?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does Flamewake attack after being brought back from the yard, or is it too late?

Attackers haven't been declared yet, so it can attack.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Rinkles posted:

Maro posted on his Tumblr that they'll explain why next week, although don't know if it will give a lore reason since it is a design article.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

Seems pretty okay

That's ridiculous and makes me want to bring back a deck from last standard since we still have Eidolon of the Great Revel and Fanatic of Mogis is a 4/2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

The trigger happens at the same time Rabblemaster pukes out his tokens, right before attackers are declared, so yes.

• Locked thread