Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

lol. they're not going to fix anything but chat and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Bloodly posted:

We can only hope they correct the issue concerning the Account-wide Plesh Bek Discount.

Nope. Still broken.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Weird, I was pretty sure the plesh brek discount was fixed. Working fine for me.

The one that's definitely broken is the chell grett. If you got one the first year but never did it last year, the system doesn't "count" it as complete because it was purchased from a vendor rather than done through the reputation mission. You'd think it wouldn't be too hard to run a check to see if a character has it in their ship roster or has an unopened box, but Cryptic. :effort:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Plesh Brek discount is broken, game is broken, pubbies are broken

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Happy almost new year everyone. Except for Grimrak, who does not live in a real country.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Acer Pilot posted:

Happy almost new year everyone. Except for Grimrak, who does not live in a real country.

Bitch it has been 2015 for hours, get with the times.

EDIT we also finally had our first meltdown in our giveaway thread

wildboar posted:

impersonating cryptic employees is now permitted? calling out nabreeki or dental and saying you invite women using female avatars but requiring goatees to participate is now permitted? This is what Cryptic approves of now?

No wonder Dental and Shutup Wesley are such secret keepers, the secret is the devs secretly approve of their antics and let them perform whatever mission preventing glitch and community steering gimmick they wish.

Korgan fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 1, 2015

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Weird, I was pretty sure the plesh brek discount was fixed. Working fine for me.

The one that's definitely broken is the chell grett. If you got one the first year but never did it last year, the system doesn't "count" it as complete because it was purchased from a vendor rather than done through the reputation mission. You'd think it wouldn't be too hard to run a check to see if a character has it in their ship roster or has an unopened box, but Cryptic. :effort:
It's complicated. As far as I can tell from reading bug threads in the forums, the carrier is fine. If you get it now, all your other chars can get it for 40 pix.

If you got the chell grett the first year, it's broken and you don't get the discount. If you got the chell grett last year (through the rep system), it works fine and all your chars get the discount. If you get the chell grett this year, it's broken again and you don't get the discount on other chars.

If you got the plesh brek last year, it works and your other chars get the discount. If you get the plesh brek this year, it's broken and you don't get the discount.

Basically, cryptic still can't figure out who got the chell grett the first year, and the account-wide discount unlocks are currently broken for everything except the new carrier. They've probably been broken the entire time, but people are just now noticing because it's been more than 20 days since the event started. I would recomment holding off on finishing any of the projects (except the carrier) until the 8th (which is basically their only chance to fix it before the winter event ends) because there's no guarantee that cryptic will be able to retroactively apply the fix to people who didn't get the account unlock.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

If you get the plesh brek this year, it's broken and you don't get the discount.
What... how...?

The only thing I can think of is that instead instead of "plesh brek discount" or whatever in the code, it's "winter event 2013" and "winter event 2014" with a project being completed counting for the year it's completed in, not the year it was first available in. Did people who finish the chell grett/plesh brek this year get the discount on the Sarr Thein instead? I imagine not, but I can't even figure out another way for that sort of fuckup to happen... :psyduck: The spaghetti code behind the scenes must be somehow worse than I thought.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Those who did the Plesh Bek this year get nothing, currently. Neither normal nor upgrading it activates anything.

Those who did the Sar Theln get their discount.

I can't say anything on the Chel Grett, because I didn't bother with it.

So, of my three characters, only one has both the carrier and it's frigates-the one who did the 1000 for the Plesh Bek, then took the discount for the carrier.

I'll say this-the frigates seem to have an abnormally fast recharge rate, even considering the hanger speed mastery. Though my view is probably flawed. Their AI is kinda funky, too. They won't try to take advantage of their raider flanking at all; they're more likely to slow down or even stop almost dead and shoot as much as possible.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 1, 2015

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I bought the Chel last year, no discount on any characters including the one that bought it.

I bought the carrier and raider this year, no discount on any characters including the ones that bought it.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Aleth posted:

I bought the Chel last year, no discount on any characters including the one that bought it.

I bought the carrier and raider this year, no discount on any characters including the ones that bought it.

Got carrier discount and a message saying it unlocked a discount account wide each time I buy it lol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I bought the raider last year and the carrier this year, got the discount working fine on both.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

It only seems to work for the year they came out. Also lol that all cryptic games crash the same time every year.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In a couple weeks time the event will be over and they can mark the bug as "no fix required", its win-win! :v:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

So after doing the dumb winter wonderland for 20+ days and a couple of days away from finishing I can't get a discount for any of the other ships but the carrier?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Maybe not even that!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Aleth posted:

Maybe not even that!

Carrier discount's working fine.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
You experienced bij. Sounds like a good winter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Goddamnit the great goon giveaway is at 9am AEDT :arghfist::silent:

guess I should go read the book of butts and try out this foundry thing

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 2, 2015

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

The last one ran like four hours and didn't involve an undetermined amount of idiot pubbies... so you probably don't have to worry about getting there at the very beginning.

That said, knowing what we've learned from past ones, it should move much more smoothly.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
In other news it turns out we're flying the Benthan cruisers backwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_71cytGRjE

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That is loving hilarious.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

While this is indeed hilarious, the ships themselves are ugly melted wax crapass 90s CGI poo poo that looks horrible and comical next to any proper Trek ship, so I can't entirely blame Cryptic for getting it wrong.

Seriously it is one ugly loving boat.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It really is loving ugly.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I think I just found the worst Scimitar

That's right, six different damage types, not including the kinetic cutting beam. The tac consoles look almost like he was trying to match one for one and then just decided to say gently caress it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Isn't the first time that's happened in Trek. The bad guy ship in Insurrection spent the whole movie flying backwards as well.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1339891

Interesting. Not the most consistent of testing, perhaps, but having someone bother to hash out numbers on whether upgrades are worth it(Apparently, they ain't. Not surprising, somehow) is nice.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Aleth posted:

In other news it turns out we're flying the Benthan cruisers backwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_71cytGRjE

Who the gently caress wouldn't drink on duty if they were stuck on Voyager?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Hey I would like to use the wiki, it's Supeerme on the wiki.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

I started playing this game back around Season 6, stopped around the tail end of the Legacy of Romulus patch due to how bad a state the game was in. I was upset with the blatant pay-to-win present with lockbox and c-store ships, the abysmal quality and small amount of PvE (and this is coming from an EVE player!), and the fact that PvP was just an utterly pointless competition between who had the biggest limit on their credit card to furnish their bug ship. Had some interesting bugs with the chat; accidentally joined the channel "trade" that is actually a champions online channel, the only way to unsubscribe was by installing CO, unsubbing from the channel, and never playing it again. That was the official response I got from the shockingly bad customer "support."

So after Sphere of Effluence or whatever that patch was called, I rejoined the game, played it for a month or 2, and hated it. I discovered that there was that new sphere thing, which admittedly was good for about a week, and then got repetitive. A new reputation system, that was good, but still repetitive and way too time consuming. And inbetween all that, about 2 new STF's and a shuttle mission, and a couple of one-trick-pony storyline missions. Recently, I rejoined again, liked the new crafting system, realised it was just an excuse to go "lol content" when you still have to wait for years upon years to get more gear that doesn't matter as the STF's haven't been updated in years and are still runnable in a Tier 1 Miranda!*breathes*

How the hell is this game still going, and why are people spending money on it? There's been more content added to other games in a year than there has been to STO in about the 3 I've known it. Am I missing something, or is still just a bug-riddled, pay-to-win fest? I admit, some of the recent content is pretty baller, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that it exists on a unsustainable payment system of "buy this, and 6 months later, pay more when it's obsolete", bugs that have been around for 2 years and still haven't been fixed, and just the sheer lack of things to do that isn't just "sit around and wait for 20 hours". Am I missing a trick, or am I not the only one who feels this way?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bloodly posted:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1339891

Interesting. Not the most consistent of testing, perhaps, but having someone bother to hash out numbers on whether upgrades are worth it(Apparently, they ain't. Not surprising, somehow) is nice.

You don't understand, having 5% more damage means enemies have to have ten times the health pools. That just basic (Korean MMO) math.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Supeerme posted:

Hey I would like to use the wiki, it's Supeerme on the wiki.

You're in.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

[Zone #15] Martin Hopp@tngfreak2: I'd like to have misery in sto better than nobody gives me 30 mil EC! PLEASE
[Zone #15] Martin Hopp@tngfreak2: Just please please please
[Zone #15] Martin Hopp@tngfreak2: pm me please if you can do it, if anybody is so good to me, he will first of all get everything back and secondly i'll assist him as much as possible

i logged in to this. he hasn't stopped for like 20 minutes. could've levelled a klank alt by now

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DarkMalfunction posted:

How the hell is this game still going, and why are people spending money on it?

Because a significant portion of the player base are hardcore ST fans that will literally spend all their money on anything remotely ST related. Quality is not a factor that works into their consideration.

So you have a captive audience that will literally buy every wet Enterprise-shaped turd that gets squeezed out. Now throw in some good old fashioned marketing psychology and Chinese flavored freemium monetization and you have a significant number of people who have an unhealthy emotional relationship with their internet pixels. Toss in a little sunken cost fallacy and the fact STO is literally the only game in town for those sorts of people and yeah, thats why it keeps hanging around.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also, at least until the recent expansion, it was stupidly casual. There's literally no raid equivalents (thank god) and there's basically no random chance drop crap, it's all grinds of various sorts through mostly effortless queues to get eventually guaranteed rewards. That's really attractive to kids, folks who are bad at video games, people who didn't like the usual MMO difficulty, and so on. Add onto that the massive amount of character cosmetic customization and stuff and it really attracted a different sort of audience, for better or worse.

Of course than the recent expansion hit and it went absolute full bore with the massively expensive asian-style F2P MMO bullshit and ruined this one selling point, but hey.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

You don't understand, having 5% more damage means enemies have to have ten times the health pools. That just basic (Korean MMO) math.

Meh. People had been whining that the game was 'way too easy' for ages. They can honestly say "We gave you what you wanted, right? Screw you and what you want, then, you don't know what you want!"

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Except that ten times the health on things doesn't make the fights harder, just slower. You're still as comfortably immune to everything they do to you as ever, it just takes forever to kill things.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The moral of the story is to never listen to self-proclaimed "hardcore" sorts because they invariably have horrible opinions about game balance and game design and immediately bail once their horrible ideas are put into practice. Not that STO's the first MMO that fell prey to that.

Though frankly, STO was (and still is) piss-easy and most of the Delta Rising difficulty changes were a good step. It's just they were coupled with hard failure conditions for all the queues (so you could waste your entire time in one instead of just the 20% of marks the optionals would give) and staggeringly insufficient experience awards, and between the two it's just made pugs for all but the easiest queues absolutely pointless. And Cryptic's since nerfed everything else back into the ground, so now they're both boringly tedious and still have a decent chance of failure in many of them if your teammates are incompetent. :effort:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I figured this game was going because they don't do anything to the engine and they kickback to CBS

I mean, it's not like they're going to redo the engine so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Because a significant portion of the player base are hardcore ST fans that will literally spend all their money on anything remotely ST related. Quality is not a factor that works into their consideration.

So you have a captive audience that will literally buy every wet Enterprise-shaped turd that gets squeezed out. Now throw in some good old fashioned marketing psychology and Chinese flavored freemium monetization and you have a significant number of people who have an unhealthy emotional relationship with their internet pixels. Toss in a little sunken cost fallacy and the fact STO is literally the only game in town for those sorts of people and yeah, thats why it keeps hanging around.

I'm a hardcore ST fan. Didn't realise that a requirement of that was having no understanding of when you are being royally ripped off/getting a bad deal. I wonder if ST Excalibur will ever get off the ground, that might give STO a nice run for its money.

kafziel posted:

Except that ten times the health on things doesn't make the fights harder, just slower. You're still as comfortably immune to everything they do to you as ever, it just takes forever to kill things.

I remember back when I was a scrub about 1 1/2 years ago, I bought 3 lockbox keys (I bought another 5 with EC), and got 2 Wells science vessels. Sell one for a Mobius, get the full Temporal set when they do a big Lobi Giveaway a month later, join a T5 Starbase fleet to get shiny elite fleet antiproton weaponry, and I was solid. I had basically made myself able to do most if not all PvE and even kick out good damage in PvP just due to survivability (Engi in a destroyer, live with it), all for about £10 I'd made doing trades and other stuff on Steam. Meanwhile, my friends who really loved the Galaxy class was just constantly moaning on how all the models of the Galaxy were just plain pointless in PvE, whilst PvP in this game was just pointless (it'd be nice if it actually had affected the war with the Klingons at all). And then, once we've bought all these shiny ships, the Romulans come out, and BAM we're obsolete. That was really the quitting point for me, and it's upsetting that people still buy into this crap, the same thing being done with these Tier 6 ships. I bet Tier 7 won't be too far away soon, and luckily we can do repetitive piss easy PvE to pass the time.

DarkMalfunction fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 3, 2015

• Locked thread