Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

DoctorWhat posted:

You can just do that with the TV hardware button!!

For me, the TV button is a Very Cool feature and I feel like George Jetson when I use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

How good is Epic Yarn? Like, would I be okay just never playing it?

It's like Wario Land 2 in that your goal is to get mad riches and your "health" is your score. It's also the chillest game ever made and is perfect for romantic co-op

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

Can't wait for Miiverse to be used as evidence on a big deal court case.

That's it! Maybe Adnan has a Miiverse post from Jan 13 1999!

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

greatn posted:

That's it! Maybe Adnan has a Miiverse post from Jan 13 1999!

There's no Miiverse at the Best Buy

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

a_big_dog posted:

For me, the TV button is a Very Cool feature and I feel like George Jetson when I use it

You would think that of all the me-too features Microsoft and Sony cribbed for the Wii, they'd put more effort into the second-screen/"off TV" feature since it's the most useful one. It's probably my favorite thing about the Wii U, both for the ability to play same-console multiplayer without crowding up the same screen and for being able to play a game while someone else is watching TV.

Microsoft could have done it with Smartglass if it wasn't something they just made and immediately threw into the trash bin, and Steam has the closest thing with Family Streaming or whatever it's called except you still need a separate PC for that. If they could extend it so you can stream games to an Android / ipad like Onlive did, then that would be incredible.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

You would think that of all the me-too features Microsoft and Sony cribbed for the Wii, they'd put more effort into the second-screen/"off TV" feature since it's the most useful one. It's probably my favorite thing about the Wii U, both for the ability to play same-console multiplayer without crowding up the same screen and for being able to play a game while someone else is watching TV.

Microsoft could have done it with Smartglass if it wasn't something they just made and immediately threw into the trash bin, and Steam has the closest thing with Family Streaming or whatever it's called except you still need a separate PC for that. If they could extend it so you can stream games to an Android / ipad like Onlive did, then that would be incredible.

Remote play on PS4 works pretty well but the Vita's lack of L2/R2 buttons means you have to use the terrible touchpad on the back

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Off TV play was probably the #1 reason I bought a WiiU, but it is seriously a great console with lots of fantastic games. With the Wii sometimes I wanted to just arse around with some VC games or something, but I never had the time really because the tv was in use a lot. Now I can play them on the Gamepad (and it's perfect for them). It's not going to work well for everything, but it is a great feature.

One thing I'd love to see more of is using the 3DS as a controller. I just played once or twice with it in Smash Bros to see what it was like, and I thought it was pretty good. If they could do more of that (but without the need for a 3DS version of the game) it would be really cool.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've been pretty busy over the last few weeks but Amazon said that as of today I could order Treasure Tracker (in Europe) so I did and it is arriving on the seventh or so. Haha I bet we got that game well before the rest of the world, suck it losers!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RMZXAnarchy posted:

You should tell us where we can get Fire Emblem 6 officially translated by Nintendo for the Virtual console.

Aw piss. It just says FIRE EMBLEM on the eShop, so I kinda threw a number at a dartboard there.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Piquai Souban posted:

I bought mine new online from Best Buy in Canada and they were preinstalled with no clear advance indication this was the case. :/

yea mine was brand new from target and poo poo was preinstalled. that said, I would probably never resell 3d world anyway so it's not the biggest deal. the lovely thing is that you can't register preinstalled games with club nintendo and I'm probably not getting any of those digital deluxe points even though in my mind I should be.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nolgthorn posted:

I've been pretty busy over the last few weeks but Amazon said that as of today I could order Treasure Tracker (in Europe) so I did and it is arriving on the seventh or so. Haha I bet we got that game well before the rest of the world, suck it losers!
Uh well actually

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Good thing it's 7 and not 6 that's on the eShop, 6 is really meh.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I don't have cable or whatever so the TV thingy is basically useless but I do like how I can just sorta magically control the TV's volume/input/power from the gamepad without even setting it up. Wonder how that works.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't have cable or whatever so the TV thingy is basically useless but I do like how I can just sorta magically control the TV's volume/input/power from the gamepad without even setting it up. Wonder how that works.

You do have to set it up, when you first setup the WiiU.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Monkey Fracas posted:

That's weird, I had to set mine up during the initial Wii U setup.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The TV button was super intuitive to set-up; the biggest surprise with the Wii U was how clean and functional everything is. The interface is just outstanding, with my only real complaint being how the settings menu requires a gamepad, for no reason. Annoying when I have to cock around with the internet settings and my first step requires me to charge up the gamepad.

I've always had access to a TV, so I haven't taken advantage of the off-TV ability. I'm sure its useful, but it also strikes me as the most Nintendo move ever.

"Hey guys! We finally went HD! But to hell with that, let's have you stare at a much smaller screen in your lap!"

I came here to post that mario 3d world totally sold me on miiverse integration. I'm only in World 3, but some of the Mii posts are adorable. Sure, I get the occasional "Furry Fest 15" post.

But damnit, I played the Shadow Alley level, and discovered an awesome easter egg (captain toad is involved). And then after I'm done a miiverse post pops up "That was hard but I beat it. Mom helped me. :)"

My room just got very dusty, you guys.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

raditts posted:

That's weird, I had to set mine up during the initial Wii U setup.

it didnt have a code that worked with my cable box so i cant use it currently :(

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Narcissus1916 posted:

"That was hard but I beat it. Mom helped me. :)"
:kimchi:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Strong men also cry.

Shovel Knight looks rad as heck but I can't decide between getting it on 3DS or on Wii U.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Strong men also cry.

Shovel Knight looks rad as heck but I can't decide between getting it on 3DS or on Wii U.

I'd get it on the 3DS if you don't mind the smaller screen just to have it portable.It's a great game for portable.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

noirstronaut posted:

Part of me wonder if, since they've said Epic Yarn wasn't originally a Kirby game, if it eventually blossomed into Wolly World.
Here's what happened:

Good Feel was making a cute yarn game about a cute yarn protagonist called Prince Fluff. Then Nintendo was like "hey wait this could be a Kirby game, put Kirby on it so you have more inspiration and this thing actually sells," so they did. Some time later, Takashi Tezuka (director and producer of OG Yoshi's Island) was like, "Whoa, I love this art style, it would be a great fit for a Yoshi game!" And he talked to Good Feel and they made it happen. In that sense, yes, Epic Yarn inspired Woolly World. Beyond that, there isn't much that's the same - the game has very different level design conceits, and the aesthetic is as different as it could possibly be with everything still being made of yarn.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ImpAtom posted:

I'd get it on the 3DS if you don't mind the smaller screen just to have it portable.It's a great game for portable.

the streetpass arena is actually kind of cool too. is the wii u version getting co op like pc

i might end up buying it again on wii u later on

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ultigonio posted:

Here's what happened:

Good Feel was making a cute yarn game about a cute yarn protagonist called Prince Fluff. Then Nintendo was like "hey wait this could be a Kirby game, put Kirby on it so you have more inspiration and this thing actually sells," so they did. Some time later, Takashi Tezuka (director and producer of OG Yoshi's Island) was like, "Whoa, I love this art style, it would be a great fit for a Yoshi game!" And he talked to Good Feel and they made it happen. In that sense, yes, Epic Yarn inspired Woolly World. Beyond that, there isn't much that's the same - the game has very different level design conceits, and the aesthetic is as different as it could possibly be with everything still being made of yarn.

So Prince Fluff being a character in the game is an Easter Egg in its own regard?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

It is a legit opinion, game owns.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

noirstronaut posted:

So Prince Fluff being a character in the game is an Easter Egg in its own regard?
More-or-less. It's possible that Prince Fluff wasn't the original character design they had in mind when first putting the game together, but from the Iwata Asks interview, it certainly sounds like it. Unfortunately, Prince Fluff is never really mentioned, so it's hard to know for sure.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Only 5 more days before I'm playing Treasure Tracker.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

It is a legit opinion, game owns.

imo the :psyduck: thing is implying that not only has there been no good platformers since the SNES, but that this is literally the only good platformer since the SNES.

I haven't played it yet, but if it's anything like the rest of wayforward's games it's a passable platformer that's more pretty than good, that manages to be hollow in a hard to pinpoint way.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So what's the lowdown on the best/worst Mega Man games for the Wii U. I can't really keep track of all of them and I want these things: good music, good game design, not fuckoff hard.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

senae posted:

imo the :psyduck: thing is implying that not only has there been no good platformers since the SNES, but that this is literally the only good platformer since the SNES.

I haven't played it yet, but if it's anything like the rest of wayforward's games it's a passable platformer that's more pretty than good, that manages to be hollow in a hard to pinpoint way.

Maybe they mean it reminds them of the SNES in a good feelings kind of way? I dunno. When i was playing it I actually thought Genesis a lot as it kept reminding me of good Genesis games in small ways.

The hollowness is the length usually. Wayforward probably pours all their licensed game money into their passion projects but it only gets them so far so they tend to go for short but polished games. They have been slowly building a fanbase and make little references to their other games and have repeated jokes and catchphrases and whatnot, they've got a brand going. The more of them you play the more you like their stuff, I think. Works on me anyway.

Shantae is more of a Metroidvania than a platformer, although there are some pretty challenging puzzle-platforming sections.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Anyone else notice this on the DDP page?

nintendo posted:

[NOTE] The Deluxe Digital Promotion will be discontinued on April 1, 2015. Please exchange your points for an activation code by March 31, 2015. Activation codes must be redeemed in the Nintendo eShop by June 30, 2015

Looks like they did extend it.

Edit: Nevermind, I misread that. It ended.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Kilometers Davis posted:

So what's the lowdown on the best/worst Mega Man games for the Wii U. I can't really keep track of all of them and I want these things: good music, good game design, not fuckoff hard.

Mega Man 3 and X for Wii U virtual console, as well as Mega Man 10 for WiiWare. Of those three I would say that 3 is the easiest and X is the most difficult.

Beyond those three: MM2, 4, 9 and X2 are all good as well. Avoid 1, 5, 6 and 7, they are the weakest available titles imo

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I really wish WayForward would eventually make a Sigma Star Saga 2. That game was great, jacked up random encounter rate aside.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FPzero posted:

I really wish WayForward would eventually make a Sigma Star Saga 2. That game was great, jacked up random encounter rate aside.

SSS had the problem of really weird balancing. It was possible to get utterly hosed if you got a big fat ship in a tiny cramped corridor.

I'd still play a sequel though

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Mega Man 2 and 3 on the NES, and Mega Man X on the SNES. There always seems to be a big dumb internet argument over whether Mega Man 2 is actually a great game or overrated, but I remember it being A Big Deal back in the NES days and it still holds up.

There's a reason Mega Man 2 is the Mega Man game used as one of those Masterpieces games on Smash 4 and not the first one.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Soon a Nintendo Direct to rule them all. Too much mysteries to solve. New 3ds, Mh4 release, that FEXSMT thing, god drat Xenoblade is out in spring for JP, whats up with Zelda, Star Fox, Metroid(please). Hows Retro Studios doin?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mercury Crusader posted:

Mega Man 2 and 3 on the NES, and Mega Man X on the SNES. There always seems to be a big dumb internet argument over whether Mega Man 2 is actually a great game or overrated, but I remember it being A Big Deal back in the NES days and it still holds up.

There's a reason Mega Man 2 is the Mega Man game used as one of those Masterpieces games on Smash 4 and not the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOIjzmMZi_s I could listen to this on any rainy day.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ImpAtom posted:

SSS had the problem of really weird balancing. It was possible to get utterly hosed if you got a big fat ship in a tiny cramped corridor.

I'd still play a sequel though

Yeah, I had that happen to me a few times during my LP of the game.

It also had that glitch on the 5th planet that caused battles to never end.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
So I got a 20% dealie from GameStop for my birthday coming up soon. I've had Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and Smash (obviously) in my sights to get. Are there any of these I should prioritize over the other? I'm leaning towards Tropical Freeze most as of right now.

SimpleAnarchy
May 9, 2002

Those are some nice headphones

Ultigonio posted:

I don't think you'd get a whole lot for Nintendo Land, but 3D World would probably get you anywhere from $20-40. That said, if you have friends around with any regularity, I don't think I'd recommend selling either of them.

noirstronaut posted:

You're a lil baby bitch if you resell any Wii U games. :colbert:

Outside of that, no, it doesn't really matter. Nintendo has no solid account based system, but if you call them, they can easily transport your games to a new console in the event of your Wii U being stolen.

Yeah, I likely wouldn't sell the games, it was just a dumb thought. I have been having friends over for Madden/MLB and Lego games co-op lately so a Wii U would be perfect for this. It's been a while since I've played a Mario game as I never bought a Wii last gen.

What's the word on external USB drives? Nintendo's FAQ makes mention that you need to use one that has it's own power supply. I thought most drives nowadays are powered by the device you plug them into, although I suppose I could get a USB power adapter or something. Can you still go ahead and use the Wii U to power the drive or is that a really bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't do pc games so I went ahead and bought the Wii U one. I like it! It's cute and charming and feels retro without having dated controls. Thanks for suggestion.

Feels pretty good to have too many platformers/castlevanias to play at the moment :3:

You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Also, to those who asked, I have not played any of the Donkey Kong Country return games. I wanted to, but Nintendo had already dominated my wallet with all the other must have games. I did play a lot of the New Super Mario Bros and while they are fun, they didn't seem groundbreaking. Now, Galaxy 1 & 2, those were ground breaking!

Also, do NOT resale your Wii U games. What is wrong with you!? Games are for life bro!

• Locked thread