Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

A character that is most effectively used by spamming one combo over and over is broken and poorly designed. It's a shame because killing mooks with bugs should be fun, but it's just a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

chumbler posted:

If you try to run in and just combo with her like you would anyone else, she's absolutely terrible. If you instead circle around enemies and drop beetles on them, she's still absolutely terrible.

Fixed an error in your post.

The only thing Agitha has positive about her is that her weak point smash has a great range to it and can clean up a lot of enemies around her and that isn't good enough to make her worth using as a character. But Zelda's weak point smash has a great range too and while it doesn't also get enemies behind her like Agitha's does at least Zelda is actually good at doing other things too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked Zant if only for how he fawned all over Ganondorf in the Legend missions :allears:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

W.T. Fits posted:

How to Zant:

1. Use his "grow huge and stomp stuff" combo until your Crazy Meter fills up.
2. Use Strong Attack, then spam Weak Attack to become LAWNMOWER MAN or spam Strong Attack to become a turret until your Crazy Meter is empty.

That said, nobody in the thread has really figured out a way to make him usable because he's terrible at Weak Point smashing, and most of his attacks just generally don't do a whole lot of damage. He's decent at clearing away packs of the filler trash mobs, but that's about it, and pretty much everyone else is just as good if not better at it than he is, so he's generally ignored whenever possible.

I disagree with some of the things here. First off, only use the C6 combo (the grow huge and do stomps) for taking keeps or if you're a safe distance away from captains and they don't have good ranged options. Contrary to some of the info out there, Zant is absolutely not invincible at any point during that move; I have taken damage during every portion of it.

The much safer way to fill Zant's Crazy Gauge is to use his C3 combo (riding the totem pole and firing bullets). Zant is only vulnerable as he's rising up the totem pole. Once he's at the top, he's safe, and when he comes down from the totem pole, you can spam dodge to make sure you dodge ASAP upon landing to be mostly safe there, too.

Once you have Crazy Gauge filled, you can basically almost always do what several people suggested already and do his C1 into mash weak for the spinning blade attack. Gather up as many captains as possible with it, which will fill up a large amount of your special meter(s), then drop the disco ball with his special attack afterward to do more damage and knock the gathered enemies away. This will generally give you the safe distance needed to climb the totem pole again or even go for the stomps to fill the Crazy Gauge once more.

Another thing I disagree with is the assertion that Zant sucks at taking out Weak Points. The only enemies this is true for is Giant Bosses, against which Zant is indeed woefully without any good option for taking out their weakpoints efficiently. Against captains and PCs, you have multiple solid options:

- C2 mashed, which works ok enough against most PCs but can be inconsistent on captains. This will generally let you build a little bit of Crazy Gauge, which is actually not as good as you think.
- C2 unmashed, then juggle with weak combo. This tends to work better than the above option against most things and can be done even if your Crazy Gauge is entirely full.
- C1 into spin to win. As long as you have a decent chunk of Crazy Gauge (maybe around 1/2 to 2/3 of the bar), this will juggle any captain or PC whose weakpoint is exposed for their entire weakpoint meter. This option is consistent but slow both in the startup (since you have to go into the Crazy stance with strong attack and then mash weak) and in actually taking out the weakpoint meter, but it will also build a healthy chunk of your special attack gauge.
- Special Attack. This tends to be a better option against PCs, since their weakpoint gauge remains broken longer than captains when knocked far away with a special attack like the disco ball. Note that most characters have this as an option for breaking captain and PC weakpoints if you need a fast answer, but some specials like Lana's Deku Spear and Summoning Gate specials don't work well for it because of there being too big a gap between hits.

Don't get me wrong, though. Zant is still definitely bottom of the barrel as far as PCs go in this game, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that many of the best characters excel in basically all important aspects of the gameplay, whereas Zant has clearly defined weaknesses in his gameplay design. He's still plenty usable in any map not involving giant bosses, though.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Fixed an error in your post.

The only thing Agitha has positive about her is that her weak point smash has a great range to it and can clean up a lot of enemies around her and that isn't good enough to make her worth using as a character. But Zelda's weak point smash has a great range too and while it doesn't also get enemies behind her like Agitha's does at least Zelda is actually good at doing other things too.

Agitha has some other things going for her, actually. Everyone loves the aforementioned C3 beetle, but the C5 beetle is also extremely good, especially in narrow hallways, and can go into her flying butterfly attack chain for a decent chunk of damage. Her C2 (the tiny butterflies that launch things upward) can be done as an infinite on a lot of captains, and C2 dodge cancel C2 is an effective and fairly easy way to break captain and PC weak points. She also has it a bit better than Zant when it comes to Giant Bosses, since she can guarantee their gauge goes down in one knockdown with (C3 dodge cancel)x4 into special attack.

Her main flaws are that her weak string is slow and that she's really only effective in a linear range in front of her, so you have to constantly be attempting to put yourself in positions where she won't be threatened from behind. She also kinda sucks at taking keeps, but not everyone can be Zant/Ganondorf in that area I guess.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The hand attack for Zant is pretty garbage and I only ever use it accidentally.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

mabels big day posted:

The hand attack for Zant is pretty garbage and I only ever use it accidentally.

Yes, never, ever use the hand attack (C5).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought Lana couldn't get more annoying but her singing the LoZ theme every time she uses the summoning gate is getting really old really fast. Why did they have to give the worst character some of the most fun weapons.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought Lana couldn't get more annoying but her singing the LoZ theme every time she uses the summoning gate is getting really old really fast. Why did they have to give the worst character some of the most fun weapons.

Actually, it owns

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
lana was worth it for all the hurl warriors comics

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like how Lana does the J-Pop idol pose when she comes off Focus Spirit. I mean it's dumb, but I like it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think Zant was the intended joke character of the game. Like the way his dialogue in legend mode is and everything, if you were coming from Dynasty Warriors rather than Legend of Zelda he's like every worthless sycophant pissant captain in one character.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Internet Kraken posted:

actually, lana is the best character

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lessail posted:

actually, lana is the best character

Nope sorry, it's Cia. I will be legit sad if she never makes any cameos in future Zelda games, because the entire concept of the character is hilarious (and is helped a great deal by the Hurl Warriors comics). Gameplay-wise she has no real weaknesses and excels in every aspect to the extent that she's almost Sheik levels of bullshit. Sheik's shield and special charging safety barrier are all she has over Cia. Unlike Sheik, Cia is actually fun to play too, and she has pretty quick animations, to boot.

vvvv I'd rather see B personally, with the demand that Groose must be included. The cast they've got now feels like a good size, being pretty compact and avoiding characters feeling too similar, and it takes care of the major representatives with a few fun flavor characters. Another weapon for each would do nicely, or just allowing move set swaps, clipping be damned. Link getting everything kinda sucked. New costumes that are more than just recolors would also go a long way to keeping the current cast feeling fresh and give the feel of new characters. Like Demise for Ganondorf, OoT Impa, comedy option old or fat Impa from the 2d games, Veran for Cia, Onox for gauntlet Link, etc.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 2, 2015

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Real Talk: In a hypothetical Hyrule Warriors 2, what would you guys rather see?

A) A shitload of new characters with little to no updates to the old ones

or

B) Only a few new guys but each character (new and old) gets at least 2 unique weapons and movesets

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

chumbler posted:

Nope sorry, it's Cia. I will be legit sad if she never makes any cameos in future Zelda games, because the entire concept of the character is hilarious (and is helped a great deal by the Hurl Warriors comics). Gameplay-wise she has no real weaknesses and excels in every aspect to the extent that she's almost Sheik levels of bullshit. Sheik's shield and special charging safety barrier are all she has over Cia. Unlike Sheik, Cia is actually fun to play too, and she has pretty quick animations, to boot.

I really love when Cia says that her new keep is dirty, but she'll love it anyway. It's just such a bizarre thing for a villain to say.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My only problem with Cia is that she apparently forgets to put on half her dress every morning. From one angle her outfit looks fine then from another its completely terrible. She makes up for it with awesome moves and a kick rear end flail though.

Alacron posted:

or

B) Only a few new guys but each character (new and old) gets at least 2 unique weapons and movesets

It'd be really nice if every character at least had two weapons, or rather the weapon distribution wasn't completely lopsided with Link having a ridiculous number while almost everyone else has one. Or characters could just share some weapons. It'd be nice to have more options available to everyone.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 2, 2015

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'd like to see ganondorf with a goddamn trident, that's what.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Raserys posted:

gently caress yes. Also give Darunia a loincloth as a "weapon" so he can have a sumo moveset.

Also c'mon Koei, give Link a dark element weapon. You already established there was darkness in his heart in the story mode so none of this "But he's supposed to be the pure and righteous hero so he can't havea dark weapon" bullshit. Also we can play as Dark Link. I just want Link to have a weapon of every single element because he's practically there already.

I do hope I'm not alone in thinking Link with a sword sucks though. Link with gauntlets is the best Link.

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009

Alacron posted:

or

Everyone should have at least 2 serious weapons and 1 goofy weapon. Maybe people would find Sheik more fun to play if she had an entire moveset based around chucking Deku Nuts at everything.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
As long as Groose is one of the "few new characters", I'm all for new weapons on the same characters over new characters

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Raserys posted:

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
I want more ABBA covers.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Is there some key to doing harder missions in this game outside of just power leveling? I'm doing the first adventure mode map and some of the missions are annoying as beck. Basically, my strongest character does little to no damage with weak attacks and barely a chunk with weak point smash?

I figured that level 60 with 3* rank 3 weapons would be fine.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That should be plenty strong enough for anything in the first adventure mode map. What stages are giving you trouble?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Regy Rusty posted:

That should be plenty strong enough for anything in the first adventure mode map. What stages are giving you trouble?

I'll have to double check, but I remember doing a pretty straight forward map in the way bottom right or upper right. Anyways, I ran up to a Shield Moblin and tagged his weak point for abyssmal damage. Pretty much just quit out because of how long that mission was going to take.

It seems like there are less things to exploit in this game at high levels compared to other warriors titles. It just feels like a huge slog where I'm at right now.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Internet Kraken posted:

My only problem with Cia is that she apparently forgets to put on half her dress every morning. From one angle her outfit looks fine then from another its completely terrible.

Well, she is half a person. So it kind of makes sense.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alacron posted:

or

I'll have to get back to you in 2050, when I actually complete all of the content that was packed into the first game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

Well, she is half a person. So it kind of makes sense.

So if you combine Cia's outfit and Lana's outfit you get one regular person outfit?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So if you combine Cia's outfit and Lana's outfit you get one regular person outfit?

Judging from alt costumes, yeah.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lana and Cia are the worst, it doesn't help that Lana is one of the four(?) characters with multiple movesets, she's got some cool weapons that probably should have been split between Shiek and someone else, maybe adding Saria or something to do deku stick stuff.

Haven't finished Legend yet but aside from Cia's wardrobe, the low point of the game by far has been on the twilight princess map when Lana and Agitha met and heavy-breathed/sighed at each other for like a minute.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tender Bender posted:

Lana and Cia are the worst, it doesn't help that Lana is one of the four(?) characters with multiple movesets, she's got some cool weapons that probably should have been split between Shiek and someone else, maybe adding Saria or something to do deku stick stuff.

I never finished Ocarina of Time; can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about Saria that has people constantly lamenting that she wasn't included solely to wield the Deku Spear instead of Lana? Is it just nostalgia?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I never finished Ocarina of Time; can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about Saria that has people constantly lamenting that she wasn't included solely to wield the Deku Spear instead of Lana? Is it just nostalgia?

She was in a game so clearly she is more acceptable than an original character, despite the fact that literally every Zelda game includes new characters.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Most of the original characters suck, is the problem. Cia's costume feels embarrassingly out of place and Lana is a noncharacter, she has no real aesthetic style to speak of and communicates entirely through heavy breathing. I don't think anyone actually cares about Saria, it's more like "Lana is crappy and there's another character that would be an anime girl using deku magic who wouldn't feel out of place."

Volga and Wizzro are cool.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Lana and Cia own.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
While Saria representation seems good in theory, it would have been hard to work in for these reasons:

1) Saria is a kid. Even though she might really be 2000 years old, she looks and acts like a kid. Probably don't want little kids fighting. Also, she seems really kind.
2) They already had too much Ocarina of Time representation. 2 from Ocarina, 2 from Skyward, 2 from Twilight.
3) Lana makes since with respect to the storyline of Hyrule Warriors. They didn't want to ignore the Deku Tree (we had fire and water with Darunia and Ruto) so the forest grass element was shoehorned into Lana.

I love Saria, but I don't think Saria would look right fighting. She's a little kid and we never saw her once use a weapon.

Aurora posted:

Lana and Cia own.

Yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Most of the original characters suck, is the problem. Cia's costume feels embarrassingly out of place and Lana is a noncharacter, she has no real aesthetic style to speak of and communicates entirely through heavy breathing. I don't think anyone actually cares about Saria, it's more like "Lana is crappy and there's another character that would be an anime girl using deku magic who wouldn't feel out of place."

All characters in the game communicate through heavy breathing, there's no voice acting.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Link has always communicated through heavy breathing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This Lana/Cia hate disgusts me

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If they ever make a sequel to this I hope they just fold a bunch of Link's weapons into one.

Just have the craziest moveset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

This, I agree with. If there's a sequel, I'd love to get more characters inspired by classic Zelda monsters.

• Locked thread