Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There seems to be a well know lady at frontier called Alex or something that people on their forums talk about being the person who manually fixes issues like this, seemingly alone.

If that's true then, Alex, stay strong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

I like how the idiots were all so careful about this carefully crafted grind experience that you had to spend a million hours to fly the big ships, and suddenly lol gently caress you bugs everywhere and players get five billion credits and blow the mystery away for everyone else.

I still have a loving useless ship sitting in the hangar and been waiting 24 hours to get an answer to my ticket. Why did they have to make this game online at all jesus.

Yes, only idiots make games that have bugs.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jonah Galtberg posted:

And gently caress their holiday schedule, I need my game now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jonah Galtberg posted:

It does make you think though, I mean, why do they put bugs in games? We may never know.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Hav posted:

And gently caress their holiday schedule, I need my game now.

And gently caress the fact that I bought a game without first checking to see whether it would let me play offline, a feature that was removed in late November

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

watching this, with headphones on, made my dog run around the house looking for the thing to kill

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

So I have some rare artwork that I may or may not have liberated from some traders.

I've checked both outposts in jotunheim that have a black market, but neither of them will offer me the option to sell in the 'contacts' menu..

Am I missing something?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rotation Confusion posted:

watching this, with headphones on, made my dog run around the house looking for the thing to kill
:lol:
Also I only now paid attention to your avatar. :laugh:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

kalstrams posted:

Haha holy poo poo, me too.

The final puzzle piece.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kalstrams posted:

The fact that the station is rotating the wrong is :thejoke: right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Siets posted:

The fact that the station is rotating the wrong is :thejoke: right?
I was more about actually looking at the avatar, but yes, the rotation direction there is wrong I think.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah. He flipped the image I made back during beta when people were having a hilariously awful time figuring out which way the docking slot was.

That said, I think some stations rotated clockwise in some of the previous elites. But in E:D Coriolis stations rotate counter-clockwise. Excuse me, Anti-Clockwise, this is a British game, afterall.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Jonah Galtberg posted:

And gently caress the fact that I bought a game without first checking to see whether it would let me play offline, a feature that was removed in late November

I kickstartered this like a year ago but good job making up a strawman

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That said, I think some stations rotated clockwise in some of the previous elites.
I dunno, countering anticlockwise rotation while docking is burned into my loving muscle memory. Some people can paint or play the piano, I can land a pretend spaceship and do level 9-5 on gameboy tetris. :smith:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone done any ring mining? Because I have a question about rings:

See, I found a little brown dwarf while travelling the universe. That almost-sun has impressive looking rings and I wanted to drop in and take a look at the rings from the inside. (I know this is possible since I face planted into one ages ago.)

Is there a way to enter a ring without just flinging yourself at it and using the emergency stop to drop in?

Edit:

I'm a bit too far away from any station and don't want to risk denting my Cobra. It's already a bit singed on the edges because I collided with a planet two days ago.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Do that, but be travelling below the safe exit speed. Instead of a wrenching emergency stop it'll simply say "Too close, dropping" or something like that and you'll exit normally.

Of course, since you don't know exactly how close you are to the ring until you're basically on top of it, it can be tricky to time this!

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Libluini posted:

Has anyone done any ring mining? Because I have a question about rings:

See, I found a little brown dwarf while travelling the universe. That almost-sun has impressive looking rings and I wanted to drop in and take a look at the rings from the inside. (I know this is possible since I face planted into one ages ago.)

Is there a way to enter a ring without just flinging yourself at it and using the emergency stop to drop in?

Edit:

I'm a bit too far away from any station and don't want to risk denting my Cobra. It's already a bit singed on the edges because I collided with a planet two days ago.

Yes and ring mining is generally where it is at. pick a spot on a good metals ring not at a RES and go crazy.

Yes, but it's tough. You can carefully approach at slow speeds and low angle and drop out manually OK. You're probably going to impact warning drop though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips, it worked! I made some really nice screenshots, nearly collided with some really small asteroids after entering the dust zone, then boosted out again. I even got two nice pictures from the approach just before dropping.

OP success. :smug:

By the way, I'm close to the end of my first expedition now. It's getting really troublesome to find stars closer to the halo zone now. More and more stars are turning into dead ends and my Cobra spends more time jumping sideways then upwards.

Edit:

OK, that's it, time to get back to civilization. I only have two stars in range, both essentially the way I came here. Somehow I don't think my jump range of 18,33 light years is getting me any farther.

The route planner did find a way farther upwards, but getting 50 light years closer to the halo now means 5 jumps down, 10 jumps sideways, 3 jumps up, 10 jumps sideways in another direction and 8 jumps slowly arching upward again. (And I think I missed a curve downwards somewhere again.)

So nope.

I'll come back later with higher jump range.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 2, 2015

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

So I'm confused; Do I only get rep for a particular faction if I take missions from their station's bulletin board?

I took a bunch of missions for Big Harry's boys, but I took them in an outpost - when I turned them in I actually got rep for the other faction I'm not trying to raise..

How does this work goons? The missions I took were offered from the guys I want to help, but I didn't get any rep for them.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Well, self destructing fixes the phantom cargo hold. Now I'm the proud owner of a type-7 spacecow

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kevlar Beard posted:

So I'm confused; Do I only get rep for a particular faction if I take missions from their station's bulletin board?

I took a bunch of missions for Big Harry's boys, but I took them in an outpost - when I turned them in I actually got rep for the other faction I'm not trying to raise..

How does this work goons? The missions I took were offered from the guys I want to help, but I didn't get any rep for them.

There's also sorts of weird display bugs and delays. Only trust the mission results at the end when you hand the mission in. And for that it shouldn't matter which faction owns the station as long as you're doing missions for the right one.

When you turned them in, did it specifically say rep up for a non RJR faction? And you're sure it was the RJR that gave you the missions?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
How do I get to the "right" panel, where it shows my status, fire groups, and the like? I'm using the default keyboard+mouse keybinds.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

There's also sorts of weird display bugs and delays. Only trust the mission results at the end when you hand the mission in. And for that it shouldn't matter which faction owns the station as long as you're doing missions for the right one.

When you turned them in, did it specifically say rep up for a non RJR faction? And you're sure it was the RJR that gave you the missions?

Yep, said my rep went up with Gold Traders or whatever their name is..

Maybe I took the wrong mission, but I'm pretty sure it was for Harry.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kevlar Beard posted:

Yep, said my rep went up with Gold Traders or whatever their name is..

Maybe I took the wrong mission, but I'm pretty sure it was for Harry.

I've taken the wrong mission more than once, so that's definitely possible. I double check before handing in now. Also, Harry might offer missions to deliver to the gold traders or something, but that should obviously increase your rep with both.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Oh guys. I've gone and done it. It's the nerdiest thing I've ever done, but I finally found a trade route that is over 15k/tonhour. It's a two system route and I just did it in 11 minutes round-trip, though it can be brought down to 10 minutes round-trip I'm sure. There are some caveats, but here are the per hour figures for fully loaded cargo ships:

Type 6: 1,762,656
Type 7: 3,651,216
Type 9: 8,372,616
Imperial Clipper: 3,903,024

The Clipper actually looks really good for this because it's fast and I bet a good driver could get the round-trip done in under 10, making your profit/tonhour pretty drat good. I timed the route in a Type 6, so I feel like a Type 7 or Type 9 might be slower and have lower actual per hour profits.

There are some really awesome things about this route and a couple downsides. I will go into all that in another post in the PGS thread and then quote myself and link to it here. Sufficed to say this route is VERY robust and can take a goon rush. We're talking about supply and demand numbers that are cumulatively well over 500k and sometimes even in the millions.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

HonorableTB posted:

How do I get to the "right" panel, where it shows my status, fire groups, and the like? I'm using the default keyboard+mouse keybinds.
Default keyboard layout is
1 for left menu
2 for comms (upper left)
3 for sensor (zooms in on the middle)
4 right menu

e:

Overwined posted:

Oh guys. I've gone and done it.
Hurry up, I can only get so erect :flashfap:

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
This loving game, Imperial Slaves are not slaves and you cant search for slaves on the galaxy map.

Welcome to loving alpha 0.1

edit: How the gently caress am i supposed to search for commodities, the galaxy map is the most opaque clusterfuck i've ever had to deal with in a game.

Coylter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 2, 2015

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Coylter posted:

This loving game, Imperial Slaves are not slaves and you cant search for slaves on the galaxy map.

Welcome to loving alpha 0.1

Regular slaves are like the most illegal thing in the universe so it sort of makes sense (though why you wouldn't be able to sell imperial slaves into regular slavery I dunno, maybe they have guns inside the cargo hold). You can search for them on elitetradingtool.co.uk

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peter gabriel posted:

It does make you think though, I mean, why do they put bugs in games? We may never know.

Makes you think

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

I really wonder how they're going to deal with yesterday's money madness.

Obviously they need to refund anyone harmed by it. But some dude getting 5bn isn't harming me or anyone else. I am pretty sure I accidentally made an extra 3 or 4 M before I figured out what was going on with my cargo. They could take it back and I wouldn't care, but it doesn't harm anyone, and only matters in some "that number that has no direct effect on my progress right now could be slightly smaller" way.

I think we'll get a good understanding of what they want their community relationship to be like by how this gets resolved.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Rotation Confusion posted:

I really wonder how they're going to deal with yesterday's money madness.

Obviously they need to refund anyone harmed by it. But some dude getting 5bn isn't harming me or anyone else. I am pretty sure I accidentally made an extra 3 or 4 M before I figured out what was going on with my cargo. They could take it back and I wouldn't care, but it doesn't harm anyone, and only matters in some "that number that has no direct effect on my progress right now could be slightly smaller" way.

I think we'll get a good understanding of what they want their community relationship to be like by how this gets resolved.

It may not affect you and me but some guy with 5 billion has a hell of a lot more of a chance at reaching some of the cash prizes. So they either cancel that cash prize thing (which is silly anyway) or manually go through each account's transaction log and fix them all, or rollback. I doubt they'll rollback.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

It may not affect you and me but some guy with 5 billion has a hell of a lot more of a chance at reaching some of the cash prizes. So they either cancel that cash prize thing (which is silly anyway) or manually go through each account's transaction log and fix them all, or rollback. I doubt they'll rollback.

They could also only go through the logs of those who apply to win the prize. But you're gonna get people pissed one way or another at the bugs screwing them if you do that or if you don't.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

Letting somebody keep their billions *may* upset the tiny handful of people going for the cash prizes (but for that they can still check logs on a case by case basis). Rolling back now, after another day of people legitimately earning money, will have tons of people with pitchforks and torches at their door.

I expect them to handle people losing money through tickets and leave the rest as is - this is not a real MMO where people are greatly affected by other players, so it's simply not worth the PR disaster.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
So is stuff still all hosed up and bullshit?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

So is stuff still all hosed up and bullshit?

Servers seem to be working properly again, but a lot of people have lost/earned money due to bugs and nobody knows how Frontier is going to sort it out.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

fezball posted:

Letting somebody keep their billions *may* upset the tiny handful of people going for the cash prizes (but for that they can still check logs on a case by case basis). Rolling back now, after another day of people legitimately earning money, will have tons of people with pitchforks and torches at their door.

I expect them to handle people losing money through tickets and leave the rest as is - this is not a real MMO where people are greatly affected by other players, so it's simply not worth the PR disaster.

They can just SELECT * FROM PILOTS WHERE CREDITS > 1000000000 and handle them, you know, no need for a rollback just to handle the billionaires

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Overwined posted:

Oh guys. I've gone and done it. It's the nerdiest thing I've ever done, but I finally found a trade route that is over 15k/tonhour. It's a two system route and I just did it in 11 minutes round-trip, though it can be brought down to 10 minutes round-trip I'm sure. There are some caveats, but here are the per hour figures for fully loaded cargo ships:

Type 6: 1,762,656
Type 7: 3,651,216
Type 9: 8,372,616
Imperial Clipper: 3,903,024

The Clipper actually looks really good for this because it's fast and I bet a good driver could get the round-trip done in under 10, making your profit/tonhour pretty drat good. I timed the route in a Type 6, so I feel like a Type 7 or Type 9 might be slower and have lower actual per hour profits.

There are some really awesome things about this route and a couple downsides. I will go into all that in another post in the PGS thread and then quote myself and link to it here. Sufficed to say this route is VERY robust and can take a goon rush. We're talking about supply and demand numbers that are cumulatively well over 500k and sometimes even in the millions.

Here it is:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3673265&pagenumber=7#post439694806

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pochoclo posted:

What part of "we will be looking at the saves of people competing for the award" do you not get?

Or is this the manufactured outrage of the day?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

fezball posted:

Servers seem to be working properly again, but a lot of people have lost/earned money due to bugs and nobody knows how Frontier is going to sort it out.

So I should probably continue to wait to log back in until something official comes out about the mess, just in case Frontier just rolls back everyone's progress a couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What part of "we will be looking at the saves of people competing for the award" do you not get?

Or is this the manufactured outrage of the day?

Uh I wasn't getting outraged though? I'm just explaining what the options are and it's 99% likely that they'll just query the database for anyone over a billion and comb them quickly

• Locked thread