Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
That card is so so good. RW Aggro is going to be a top tier deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does Flamewake attack after being brought back from the yard, or is it too late?

He can. In fact he must attack.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

I just want to throw it out there that the worst part of this set is that over the course of 1280 years,, Tarkir had apparently no appreciable evolution in technology or societal structure even after the extinction of one of its most powerful species.

Someone photoshop this to say 'THE HOLE LEFT BY THE DRACONIC DARK AGES' tia

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Trail Of Mystery, of all cards, is in high demand on PucaTrade right now. Is this possibly because of manifest? Otherwise it still seems like a bad card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

InterrupterJones posted:

Trail Of Mystery, of all cards, is in high demand on PucaTrade right now. Is this possibly because of manifest? Otherwise it still seems like a bad card.

People on Pucatrade just really really like dumb jank.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elyv posted:

Mardu Shadowspear is a better Pulse Tracker, but I don't remember that card seeing any play.

Pulse Tracker saw a ton of play in the zendikar standard in vampires. He and Lacerator were th one drops the deck played.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_search_result.asp?CardName=Pulse%20Tracker

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Count Bleck posted:

People on Pucatrade just really really like dumb jank.

Hooded Hydra is also bonkers on PucaTrade now as well, I also have a ton people looking for foil Hootin' Mandrils :iiam:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BXCX posted:

Hooded Hydra is also bonkers on PucaTrade now as well, I also have a ton people looking for foil Hootin' Mandrils :iiam:

Hey, maybe it'll be good.

Maybe.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

BXCX posted:

Well I'm definitely going to unload my foil Trail of Mystery for whatever garbage point value I can get (looks like around 150). Should I hold the foil Hooters? It was just in my bulk foil box but now I see it's also at 150. Is anyone playing it in an eternal deck yet?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BXCX posted:

I also have a ton people looking for foil Hootin' Mandrils :iiam:

I have a Russian foil. Looks like I'll be paying off my mortgage early! :getin:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

That card is so so good. RW Aggro is going to be a top tier deck.

Is someone piling up predictions? Can we start a game where we take assertive claims during spoiler season and see how they line up with how the post pro-tour season actually turns out?

I'm actually curious because spoiler season is wonderful because of predictions like these - not making an individual callout it's just always amusing when people contend a deck will be top-tier after seeing one card in less than half the set.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

vOv posted:

Someone photoshop this to say 'THE HOLE LEFT BY THE DRACONIC DARK AGES' tia

Please stop this image is very triggering

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Boco_T posted:

Well I'm definitely going to unload my foil Trail of Mystery for whatever garbage point value I can get (looks like around 150). Should I hold the foil Hooters? It was just in my bulk foil box but now I see it's also at 150. Is anyone playing it in an eternal deck yet?

It's not showing up as appearing in any decks on mtgtop8, maybe it'll be a thing someday but who knows. I'd send mine off but I'm sticking to 500+ point trades for now because :effort: and puca goes nuts around spoiler season so I'll just wait out the madness.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

InterrupterJones posted:

Last FNM I went to, I sat next to a guy running five-color morph control using this card to ramp into fast Sagu Maulers or a Chromanticore finisher (with Ashiok backup?) Don't sleep on Trail of Mystery.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

C-Euro posted:

five-color morph control ... Chromanticore finisher
I need to see this decklist, it sounds amazing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Brutal Hordechief is basically a better Hellrider. Seems crazy good with any sort of wide strategy.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

C-Euro posted:

Last FNM I went to, I sat next to a guy running five-color morph control using this card to ramp into fast Sagu Maulers or a Chromanticore finisher (with Ashiok backup?) Don't sleep on Trail of Mystery.

Likewise, I'd love to see a decklist like that. Maybe it's time to buy a few prerelease Trails before they possibly hike up in price.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cool, those goblin tokens that Rabblemasters are spitting out by turn 3 are gonna be even better by turn 4.

I wish that 3/2 Mardu token generator was better, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

InterrupterJones posted:

Likewise, I'd love to see a decklist like that. Maybe it's time to buy a few prerelease Trails before they possibly hike up in price.

I wish I had a list but I forgot to ask him (also he was in the running for some prizes so it seemed like bad form),and it was a few weeks ago so the memory is a little faded. Trail, Chromanticore, Ashiok and Sagu Mauler were definitely there and I would guess Rattleclaw and Elvish Mystic too. I also saw Plummet but it was probably a sideboard card. On the off chance I see the guy again I will definitely try to get a list, a month or two before that I saw a different guy running Temur Morphs powered by the same card.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
So what happens if you Supplant Form a dragon-y Sarkhan?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'd like Trail of Mystery a lot more if it put the lands on the battlefield tapped instead of in my hand.

Though I guess 2 mana to get an extra land every turn after T3 is way more than they want to give.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Unoriginal Name posted:

You get a 4/4 flying indstructible hasty red legendary dragon named "Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker" with a casting cost of 3RR and a bunch of loyalty abilities that can't be activated because it's not a planeswalker. It stays a creature forever and doesn't turn back into a planeswalker because you're just copying what it is at that moment, you aren't copying the delayed trigger that turns him back into a planeswalker at the end of turn.

Similar to how if you Clone an animated Mutavalt you get a 2/2 land creature that never stops being a creature.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Unoriginal Name posted:

You get an indestructible 4/4 dragon I think. The trigger to turn it back to a planeswalker was on Sarkhan, not an abillity that the dragon he becomes possesses.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
With that phoenix I'm thinking it's time to grab the red devotion list out of the old bin and start seeing what can be done with it. Need more red symbols!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Entropic posted:

Brutal Hordechief is basically a better Hellrider. Seems crazy good with any sort of wide strategy.
If by better you mean significantly worse than yes that is what it is.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
No, you get an unanimated Sarkhan, The Dragonspeaker with the appropriate amount of loyalty counters he would come into play with. Also - a Clone copying Mutavault would also be an unanimated Mutavault - not a permanent 2/2.

EDIT: To clarify, Clone or whatever Clone effect you play applies at Layer 1. The ability that changes Sarkhan (or Mutavault) into a creature and removes their previous types is applied to the permanent you choose to copy at Layer 4. So, when you cast Clone, Sarkhan is a legal choice to copy since at the time you play it, he's a creature, but you are copying the base card - not just his current stats.

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 2, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Deofuta posted:

With that phoenix I'm thinking it's time to grab the red devotion list out of the old bin and start seeing what can be done with it. Need more red symbols!

Still unplayable without Burning-Tree, Ash Zealot, and Frostburn.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I'm guessing the gist of the mechanics changes is that the Abzan and Mardu reflect that now they don't fight the dragons, and focus on how they survive against the other clans.

They're similar in how their mechanic meets flavour; Dash for example reflects the Mardu's speed and swift attacks as does Raid, but the former is necessary to get in and attack before running away and not getting swatted by a big-huge-gently caress-off dragon, and the latter how the Horde grows itself and prospers from plunder off the other clans.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 2, 2015

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Entropic posted:

You get a 4/4 flying indstructible hasty red legendary dragon named "Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker" with a casting cost of 3RR and a bunch of loyalty abilities that can't be activated because it's not a planeswalker. It stays a creature forever and doesn't turn back into a planeswalker because you're just copying what it is at that moment, you aren't copying the delayed trigger that turns him back into a planeswalker at the end of turn.

Similar to how if you Clone an animated Mutavalt you get a 2/2 land creature that never stops being a creature.

Pretty sure if you copy an animated Mutavault you get a Mutavault that isn't a creature. When you copy something you get what's written on the card plus any copy effects, so if you clone a clone that's a copy of a grizzly bears you get a grizzly bears, not another clone. If you clone a creature with Song of the Dryads on it, you'll get a copy of that creature, not a basic forest.

In this case you would return Sarkhan to hand, then you'd get a token planeswalker named Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker with the type Planeswalker - Sarkhan, 4 loyalty counters, and all the text that exists on Sarkhan.

e: beaten by an edit :argh:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Emerson Cod posted:

No, you get an unanimated Sarkhan, The Dragonspeaker with the appropriate amount of loyalty counters he would come into play with. Also - a Clone copying Mutavault would also be an unanimated Mutavault - not a permanent 2/2.

Correct. If you copy a grizzly bear that is Giant Growthed you don't get a 5/5 bear. The idea is basically the same.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kabanaw posted:

If you clone a creature with Song of the Dryads on it, you'll get a copy of that creature, not a basic forest.

Can you clone a Song of the Dryads'd creature under normal circumstances? I wouldn't think it would work because the game doesn't see it as a creature.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

suicidesteve posted:

Can you clone a Song of the Dryads'd creature under normal circumstances? I wouldn't think it would work because the game doesn't see it as a creature.

Vesuva would work.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

No. Because it's not a valid target of Clone. As far as the game is concerned it's a land.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

suicidesteve posted:

Right - because its type is changed so that its no longer a creature, it is no longer a legal choice for Clone even if underneath all of those layers there's a perfectly Cloneable creature card.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

In most cases it can't, but I'm using "clone" as a verb here more than the card itself, and it's possible to do it with Thespian's Stage. Which is actually super funny, as it will stop being a land and become that creature with the text "{2}, T: ~ becomes a copy of target land and gains this ability."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I thought activated type-changing abilities like those basically for all intents and purposes changed the text of a card until the end of the turn rather than using layers like P/T changing stuff does. I could be wrong though.

Algid posted:

If by better you mean significantly worse than yes that is what it is.

Really? You're trading haste for lifegain on the attack triggers + that activated ability.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 2, 2015

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Hellrider is more powerful as an aggressive card, but Brutal Hordechief is more midrange-y because of its second ability. You're trading an immediate 4 extra damage for some lifegain and the ability to decide combat and keep all but your worst creature alive. Despite their similar stats they're pretty different cards.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
So, is anyone else seeing Red/White Tokens as a thing? Get tokens every time you trigger Prowess, tap the ones you've already got so you can cast Stoke and still have mana to buy it back with the new two drop bear?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

qbert posted:

Still unplayable without Burning-Tree, Ash Zealot, and Frostburn.

I can't hear you over the sound of my massive nykthos fueled craters claws :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Entropic posted:

I thought activated type-changing abilities like those basically for all intents and purposes changed the text of a card until the end of the turn rather than using layers like P/T changing stuff does. I could be wrong though.

For most intents and purposes, yes. However, when you copy something, you look at the base card (or, if you're copying a token or face down creature, its base "text" and copiable attributes, ignoring any effects or abilities applied in any of the layers).

For reference, the layers are below. Anything applied in any of these layers unless the copying ability explicitly states otherwise is ignored.

Layer 1: Copy effects are applied.
Layer 2: Control-changing effects are applied.
Layer 3: Text-changing effects are applied.
Layer 4: Type-changing effects are applied. These include effects that change an object’s card type, subtype, and/or supertype.
Layer 5: Color-changing effects are applied.
Layer 6: Ability-adding and ability-removing effects are applied.
Layer 7: Power- and/or toughness-changing effects are applied.

EDIT: I say ignored, but that presumes that the object you're copying is a legal choice and/or target for the ability/spell you're using.

• Locked thread