Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

i am harry posted:

The mind is stretchy, malleable, and open to subtle, repeated suggestion, so probably as adversely as all the lies and constructions of the average person's social media webs.
The half-truths of pretty lives and happy times displayed and cherry picked to enhance others' opinion of you gradually creates a non-reality in your brain that is then compared to real reality. You lie about a promotion for attention, and then find yourself feeling bad because the promotion isn't real, instead of brushing it off as value-less fantasy.
Likewise, the average listener of violent conservative talk radio is drip-fed violent distrust until all the other drivers in their respective fishbowls on wheels are viewed as enemies and threats to the listener's life. Eventually the only trustworthy hand one can grab to escape the mass clouds of other human beings and their potential to take everything you have away is the same poisonous voice coming from the radio that got you into this mess.

That's an elegant and descriptive way of describing what I meant.

I was pointing out this poo poo makes some of some of us depressed so just think what it does to the believers. It ties into my OP. I think the effect of this stuff is underestimated. It makes people who know better sad and depressed and makes the believers angry and paranoid. It's bad poo poo and does more harm than people think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SedanChair posted:

This would quickly become the most depressing thread in all the forums as goons painstakingly revealed the neoliberal agenda and unintended consequences behind everything.

Yep, depression is an illness, not a mood.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Seriously, if you're having suicidal thoughts, changing the news you read or things like that won't help by themsleves. Get therapy and medication if you can afford it. Getting actual medical treatment for my depression is one of the best decisions I've ever made in my entire life.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Seriously, if you're having suicidal thoughts, changing the news you read or things like that won't help by themsleves. Get therapy and medication if you can afford it. Getting actual medical treatment for my depression is one of the best decisions I've ever made in my entire life.

The stigmatization of mental illness in this country is pure evil and contributes to the problem in ways immeasurable. Everyone newly on healthcare should really take advantage of it and see someone just to talk, whether or not you have any perceived issues. Feels great.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Sarah Palin took pictures of her son stepping on the family dog, and tried to paint it in a positive light :unsmith:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen..._stepping_stone

quote:

Sarah Palin's social media team might be taking some time off this New Year's week. The 50-year old Republican firebrand yesterday posted photos of her son Trig to Facebook that are eliciting strong commentary, and they have yet to be deleted.

The Facebook post and photos (both above) show Palin's young son Trig stepping on the back of the family dog.

Palin described it as a "stumbling block turned into a stepping stone."

Commenters on Facebook described it a bit differently.

"Animal abuse" wrote one.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

CommieGIR posted:

Sarah Palin took pictures of her son stepping on the family dog, and tried to paint it in a positive light :unsmith:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen..._stepping_stone
I read your post initially as 'sleeping on' and was all :3:, and thought the commenters were just mean.

Then I realized that it said 'stepping on' :stonk:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

BiggerBoat posted:

That's an elegant and descriptive way of describing what I meant.

I was pointing out this poo poo makes some of some of us depressed so just think what it does to the believers. It ties into my OP. I think the effect of this stuff is underestimated. It makes people who know better sad and depressed and makes the believers angry and paranoid. It's bad poo poo and does more harm than people think.

The long term effects are absolutely poisonous and I think it should be hard to overestimate them. It's a whole industry designed around blaming a specific group for all of the ills in your life and you can stay immersed in it 24 hours a day, like many do.

I wrote more poo poo after this several times and kept deleting it because when I read it back it sounded over the top. But really, whole communities isolating themselves and making their defining characteristic hate for another group is scary as gently caress, and historically ends badly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Then I realized that it said 'stepping on' :stonk:

Because the family dog is just a stumbling block.

As if anyone didn't know, Sarah Palin is trash.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Because the family dog is just a stumbling block.

As if anyone didn't know, Sarah Palin is trash.

I've been tripped enough time by my knee-height dog coming to stand directly behind me to say yeah, I kind of see the joke she was going for. Still shouldn't step on your dog, trigonometry.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Step on no pets" is a palindrome.

A palindrome.

:tinfoil:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I've been tripped enough time by my knee-height dog coming to stand directly behind me to say yeah, I kind of see the joke she was going for. Still shouldn't step on your dog, trigonometry.

Yeah, I get the joke.

But then, I see the photo.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Dogs get underfoot, and I've joked about punting over a dozen pugs. Never would I do it, then upload it to Facebook to be uplifting.

That said, who is more trash? The trash, or those who follow trash?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Dogs get underfoot, and I've joked about punting over a dozen pugs. Never would I do it, then upload it to Facebook to be uplifting.

That said, who is more trash? The trash, or those who follow trash?

The trash is Sarah Palin. So it's Palin, the trash.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

FMguru posted:

"Step on no pets" is a palindrome.

A palindrome.

:tinfoil:

#illuminati

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
My dogs get underfoot all the time, and have been kicked/kneed accidentally plenty of times. But come on, how are you going to actively encourage your kid to stand on top of the dog. That's just terrible.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

Not so loud, do you want AddMEonFacebook to show up?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Technical Analysis posted:

My dogs get underfoot all the time, and have been kicked/kneed accidentally plenty of times. But come on, how are you going to actively encourage your kid to stand on top of the dog. That's just terrible.

Well you see the Bible says animals are lesser beings something something Christianity something Alaska.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CommieGIR posted:

Well you see the Bible says animals are lesser beings something something Christianity something Alaska.

Big gulps, the Constitution, are troops, not my president, I bought Todd gas cards for Christmas

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

People shouldn't encourage their kids to step on pets, especially a developmentally disabled kid who will now have to be "untaught" to do this at some point, but come on. It's a big dog, it just sat there. It didn't appear to be hurt. When people on the left get outraged about stuff like this it's embarrassing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

beatlegs posted:

People shouldn't encourage their kids to step on pets, especially a developmentally disabled kid who will now have to be "untaught" to do this at some point, but come on. It's a big dog, it just sat there. It didn't appear to be hurt. When people on the left get outraged about stuff like this it's embarrassing.

Animals are actually pretty damned good at hiding injuries....

But people should be outraged methinks.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

beatlegs posted:

I think it's perfectly valid to point out that lovely people like this belong as far away from the levers of power as possible. If you find yourself getting embarrassed by the things that other people that you don't even know are saying, perhaps the problem is with you?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't know about "outraged" but yeah I'd be concerned for any dog being stepped on who is also in the care of the family unsound enough to end up in that retarded party fight incident. Not like "call the cops" concerned but "someone close to them should probably explain dogs don't enjoy this" concerned.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

beatlegs posted:

Turns out people on the left like to blow things up into more than they are just to get outraged too. You'd think she was taking pictures of Trig kicking the dogs or beating them with a bat the way some people are responding.

At least it's outrage about treating pets nicer in contrast to getting mad about mustard or using a knife and fork to eat pizza. They just need to crank the outrage back from screaming bloody murder to "she... really shouldn't let Trig do that".

zeroprime fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 2, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Ok, who exactly is screaming bloody murder? I want to know so I can go make fun of them. You do have a few examples, right?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

beatlegs posted:

It didn't appear to be hurt. When people on the left get outraged about stuff like this it's embarrassing.

The distressing thing is that she saw her son endangering their dog, and rather than correct his behavior (like nearly any compassionate human being would), she took photos and uploaded them to social media.

Nobody's outraged, the dog was apparently unharmed. But this is getting attention because it's emblematic of her choosing a photo op over good parenting. It's probably the most Palin thing she's done recently.

E: the normal reaction is "don't stand on the dog!" but Palin's is "I should photograph this." Because her stupid brain is wired wrong and poorly.

moths fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 2, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

moths posted:

It's probably the most Palin thing she's done recently.
I dunno, it's hard to compete with "Sat in her stretch limo while the rest of her family turned a neighborhood block party into a no-holds-barred hillbilly punch-em-up brawl", y'know?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
When your entire family causes a drunken street incident where sons are fighting dads and multiple people are yelling "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?!" you lose the benefit of the doubt with me. This is not a joke.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

FMguru posted:

I dunno, it's hard to compete with "Sat in her stretch limo while the rest of her family turned a neighborhood block party into a no-holds-barred hillbilly punch-em-up brawl", y'know?

Yeah, I don't think they're going to be able to top that until one of the kids inevitably gets caught smoking meth

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, as much as I feel bad for the dog and think Palin is an rear end in a top hat I'm mostly just feeling a little icky that a developmentally disabled kid has parents that are lovely enough that when he steps on the dog they don't tell him that's bad but instead think it makes for a great Facebook post and positive life lesson.

Thank God that kid is rich because he'd be hosed otherwise.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Clubbing a fish to death (instead of just killing it humanely) on television probably comes closest in theme, the theme being she shouldn't be allowed around animals or cameras.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Thank God that kid is rich because he'd be hosed otherwise.

He is living proof as to how well Abstinence works as a Sex Ed plan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CommieGIR posted:

He is living proof as to how well Abstinence works as a Sex Ed plan.

I'm pretty sure he's Palin's youngest kid, not the unplanned grandson from a teen parent.

If I'm wrong I should apologize for calling him developmentally disabled.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

I'm pretty sure he's Palin's youngest kid, not the unplanned grandson from a teen parent.

If I'm wrong I should apologize for calling him developmentally disabled.

Oh, woops, my bad.

Either way, Bristol is a winner

quote:

Palin and Johnston's son, Tripp Easton Mitchell Johnston, was born in December 2008.[60][61] She denied claims that her mother's pro-life views influenced her decision to give birth to and raise her son Tripp: "It doesn't matter what my mom's views are on it. It was my decision."[62][63]

Palin and Johnston ended their engagement in March 2009.[64] In November 2009, a custody and child support case was filed in a local Alaska court. Palin asked the court to use pseudonyms for herself and Johnston to keep the normally public proceedings private, arguing that the media attention would not be good for the child.[65] Johnston argued for open proceedings, saying he wanted the case to be decided on the merits,[65] and that he did "not feel protected against Sarah Palin in a closed proceeding."[66] In December 2009, on Tripp's first birthday, the judge ruled in favor of Johnston, and it was publicly announced that the pair had been battling for legal custody. Palin, who wished to win full custody rights and child support consistent with Johnston's income, stated that Johnston had "exercised sporadic visitation rights" and "wants the rights for his own self-promotion".[65][66][67] Johnston sought shared custody and lower child support payments. In February 2010 a judge ruled that Johnston had to pay back child support, with a hearing set to determine the amount of ongoing support payments.[68][69]

That month, Palin and her son began living in a condo she had purchased in Anchorage, where she was working at a dermatologist's office and taking business courses at a community college.[70][71] In July 2010, Palin and Johnston announced that they had reunited and were again engaged,[72][73] but less than three weeks later, they ended their second engagement.[74][75][76][77][78] In August 2010 she moved out of the condo and returned to her parents' home,[79] and the couple reached an agreement giving primary custody to Palin and visitation rights and child support responsibility to Johnston.[80] In December 2010, Palin purchased a five-bedroom house in Maricopa, Arizona, a suburb of Phoenix, for $172,000 in cash, according to Pinal County property records. The house was sold in May 2012 for $175,000[81] and Palin moved back to Alaska.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

moths posted:

The distressing thing is that she saw her son endangering their dog, and rather than correct his behavior (like nearly any compassionate human being would), she took photos and uploaded them to social media.

Nobody's outraged, the dog was apparently unharmed. But this is getting attention because it's emblematic of her choosing a photo op over good parenting. It's probably the most Palin thing she's done recently.

E: the normal reaction is "don't stand on the dog!" but Palin's is "I should photograph this." Because her stupid brain is wired wrong and poorly.

I agree her 1st reaction should have been to stop it from happening, but some are calling it animal abuse, which is dumb. But yeah I agree it reveals her lovely priorities, ie "Ooh I should take a photo of this! It will piss off lefty animal lovers and once again make me a big hero to my fans".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I really don't think she did it as a troll. Kind of like when she uttered "blood libel" I really doubt she was trying to piss off jews. Both are just way too calculating for someone who doesn't understand that grifting Republicans is supposed to be kayfabe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, woops, my bad.

Either way, Bristol is a winner

Wait, the kid is named Trig and the grandson is named Tripp? No wonder you confused them. That's just weird. Do those names mean something in Alaska or something or did she really just name her kid some random noise that sounds like her baby brother's random noise name?

But yeah, all the Palin children seem to be pieces of work. Which is probably to be expected given their parents. Which is why I just feel bad for the youngest. He's young enough that he's still an innocent in this trashy family and he's got the built in disadvantages. It sucks for him.

She could have been President.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The lesson learned from this page should be that there is absolutely no qualifier, political or otherwise, that will stop a set of internet comments from being really really lovely.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah, I don't think they're going to be able to top that until one of the kids inevitably gets caught smoking meth
That or cooking it.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The lesson learned from this page should be that there is absolutely no qualifier, political or otherwise, that will stop a set of internet comments from being really really lovely.
The sun will rise, the tides will go in and out, the Earth will spin, and internet comments will be made by lovely people. It's a fundamental law of nature.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, the kid is named Trig and the grandson is named Tripp? No wonder you confused them. That's just weird. Do those names mean something in Alaska or something or did she really just name her kid some random noise that sounds like her baby brother's random noise name?

They're dog whistles for the white supremacists in the valley.

vvv Really? The German "Heritage" school didn't tip you off? vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hasters posted:

They're dog whistles for the white supremacists in the valley.

As someone who's lived in Anchorage all my life, this is news to me.