Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Is there a relitivly inexpensive way to filter the beer. I love Wheat Beers. When I was in Germany kristallweizen was some of my favorite. It have the flavor of a wheat bear, but was a bit lighter in the old tummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

jadeddrifter posted:

Is there a relitivly inexpensive way to filter the beer. I love Wheat Beers. When I was in Germany kristallweizen was some of my favorite. It have the flavor of a wheat bear, but was a bit lighter in the old tummy.

Try Gelatin fining. you may be able to get what you;'re looking for without having to go into full on filtering.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Zaepho posted:

Try Gelatin fining. you may be able to get what you;'re looking for without having to go into full on filtering.

I have never heard of this before. I will have to try it. hopefully it works

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

jadeddrifter posted:

you can usually get a 1 micron level inline filter for around $70 iirc that's about what I paid for mine. it rarely gets used, mainly if im doing a lager and have need for my fridge to not be lagering.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Mother fucker

After I emptied my first keg on Halloween I left the second one in because it had a little bit left. That one was polished off the next day in short order. I had opened it a week later and pulled an empty and everything was fine.

Went to look now and there's about a half inch of orangish liquid with mold. What the actual gently caress? A theory would be the dregs of the left over keg leaked out but that was a saison and in my original keg which had sat full for months without a problem.

So pissed that I have to clean up this gross liquid. Of course I also have to disassemble and clean/replace the lines as well because I didn't push any cleaner through them.

What kegging makes up in lack of bottling it adds in cleaning and being careful I guess.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
At least you aren't cleaning 50 or 100 moldy bottles.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Secret Santa turned up!

2liter / 68fl oz growler :eyepop:

Bells bottle opener, and that vinyl sticker made me lol hard. Think I might put it on my 60liter fermenter (on the outside of course). Thanks! :beerpal:

Yours should be there before February. Will send half from Canada to save on the weight of the ingredients and some some :britain: stuff direct from goon to goon, got most the stuff sorted out already!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Well, I finished my very first Outdoors brew on Saturday. Had to dig an ancient propane tank out of the shed and exchange it (which went much better than expected). But my new DarkStar burner worked great, and I'm so happy to be brewing outside, even though it is getting colder.
I made the Buffalo Sweat (Oatmeal milk stout) kit from Northern brewer but I changed the late addition hops out to a different kind.

Smelled great!
IMG_0568 by david.doucette_1989, on Flickr

I even had my first boilover. Just a small tiny boilover.
IMG_0569 by david.doucette_1989, on Flickr

Unfortunately I got horrid efficiency again (BIAB). Next batch I'm going to introduce a dunk sparge in hopes of hitting 70%. If I get more efficiency it will just be a strong Pale Ale and I can hope to repeat it in the future.

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 31, 2014

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Finished my imperial stout at 1100 :getin: I had a dumb moment, I had left the bag to drain over a bucket and realised there was a good 2-3 litres of drain off in the bucket which I dumped in at about 20 mins off the end of the boil, so it diluted it slightly. Theoretically if I hadn't done it probably would've finished around 1105 or so :captainpop: so here's hoping WLP028 attenuates hard for a good boozy 10%!

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

McSpergin posted:

Finished my imperial stout at 1100 :getin: I had a dumb moment, I had left the bag to drain over a bucket and realised there was a good 2-3 litres of drain off in the bucket which I dumped in at about 20 mins off the end of the boil, so it diluted it slightly. Theoretically if I hadn't done it probably would've finished around 1105 or so :captainpop: so here's hoping WLP028 attenuates hard for a good boozy 10%!

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what units are those gravity readings in? Is it just specific gravity * 1000?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Seph posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what units are those gravity readings in? Is it just specific gravity * 1000?

Hey yeah, SG x 1000. I work as an engineer so I'm used to speaking in terms of density rather than specific gravity. That and I was lazy and didn't type the .'s

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I don't think I've ever actually bragged about a beer I've done but...I have to now. I finished a clone of Deschutes' Fresh Squeezed IPA today. This is prohibitively the best beer I've ever made and one of the best beers I've ever had, period. Recipe is courtesy of some random homebrewtalk thread then adjusted by goons, so thank you to whoever had input into it.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Fresh Squeezed IPA Clone

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.047
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 6.03%
IBU (tinseth): 60.77
SRM (morey): 11.66

FERMENTABLES:
13.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (84.4%)
1 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (6.3%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 75L (6.3%)
8 oz - American - Wheat (3.1%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: First Wort, IBU: 29.99
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 14.11
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 16.67
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 18 qt, Water Temp: 170
2) Temp: 170 F, Amount: 20 qt, Water Temp: 190
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - whirlfloc, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: Yes
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
3 L starter

Dry Hop 1 oz citra in secondary

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

bewbies posted:

NOTES:
3 L starter

Hold on, just out of curiosity you did a starter with dry US05? Any particular reason? I usually just throw as many packets as beersmith tells me, mainly because it's cheap as chips but I'd be curious to see why you did a starter.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I always just throw dry yeast straight into the fermenter. My last brew was an IPA with US05 and I had to put a blow off tube on a few hours after pitching. I've never had any problems with slow starts using US05.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I always just throw dry yeast straight into the fermenter. My last brew was an IPA with US05 and I had to put a blow off tube on a few hours after pitching. I've never had any problems with slow starts using US05.

Aren't you supposed to hydrate the yeast first? I remember reading that the dry yeast needs to be hydrated before pitching or else it will take in too much sugar and die when it absorbs the wort.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The instruction on the packet say "sprinkle into wort".

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
If I recall correctly, danstar says to hydrate, while fermentis says not to. I'd assume that the difference would be small (outside of super high OG situations, in which case you probably would have made a starter or pitched onto cake anyway)

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
What are peoples thoughts on an Ale with Pilsner malt. A hoppy Pilsner Ale if you would.

Beyond the 90 Minute boil, what else can I expect from Pilsner malt w/ Ale yeast. And should I add any specialty grain or just do 100% Pilsner malt?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Marshmallow Blue posted:

What are peoples thoughts on an Ale with Pilsner malt. A hoppy Pilsner Ale if you would.

Beyond the 90 Minute boil, what else can I expect from Pilsner malt w/ Ale yeast. And should I add any specialty grain or just do 100% Pilsner malt?

Pilsner malt will be very light with a slight breadiness. It's very pleasant. Ales I've done that were mostly pilsner malt include Saisons, Belgian Golden Strong, and Hefeweizen (50/50 pils and wheat).

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I've done ales that were 80% Pilsner, 20% carapils, lightly hopped and fermented with Brett on cardamom and blackberries.

Delicious. I think I sent one to ieatsoap in the 2013 secret Santa.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Marshmallow Blue posted:

My most well received beer is a really simple kölsch with just a straight pilsner malt bill. Depending on what your intended style is, maybe 10-20% specialty/wheat malt for head retention or complexity, but 100% pils works just fine.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Nanpa posted:

If I recall correctly, danstar says to hydrate, while fermentis says not to. I'd assume that the difference would be small (outside of super high OG situations, in which case you probably would have made a starter or pitched onto cake anyway)

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_S04.pdf

"rehydration instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the wort using aeration or by wort addition."

A while ago I wrote kind of a long summary of the dry yeast handling portion of White and Zainasheff's book. I'm on my way out the door so I can't find it right this second, but basically just adding it straight to the wort works well because dry yeast has more than twice the number of cells as a vial, so even if you kill off half of them you've still got more viable cells than a typical vial.

Don't make a starter with dry yeast though, because they're specifically made to hit the ground running. A starter just wastes all their built-in stores.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Ok thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to pull the trigger on my current recipe plan.
code:
11 Lbs Pilsner Malt
1 LB CaraPils

2oz Saaz @ 60
1oz Saaz @5
1oz Sterling @5

US05
I've also decided to retry my New Years Resolution form last year: Buy NO Commercial beer this year and sustain myself on home-brew alone. Being the only one who drinks, and now being able to make 5 gallon batches, I should be in good shape. Last year i made it to march I think. I have 4 Gallons of stout going now and for Xmas I got 3 months worth of a craft beer of the month club. SO I should have my operation in full swing by the time my last 2 months of BotM are done. :getin:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

McSpergin posted:

Hold on, just out of curiosity you did a starter with dry US05? Any particular reason? I usually just throw as many packets as beersmith tells me, mainly because it's cheap as chips but I'd be curious to see why you did a starter.

I almost always make a starter, probably more habit than anything. I feel like I get better results with starters and I use dry yeast almost exclusively.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Had the semi-traditional Happy New Beer brewday yesterday at a friend's house. Four brewers participated, so we had four rigs going in parallel. We did a total of 35 gallons of beer and 10 of cider between us. What a great hobby.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

bewbies posted:

I almost always make a starter, probably more habit than anything. I feel like I get better results with starters and I use dry yeast almost exclusively.

Starter or rehydrate? Because there's no reason to make a starter with dry yeast, the cell count is already sufficient

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Starter or rehydrate? Because there's no reason to make a starter with dry yeast, the cell count is already sufficient

Starter. For 5.5 gallon batches of mid and heavy ales using 04 and 05 yeasts I think there's a noticeable difference between using a starter and not. Shrug.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Sokrateez posted:

My most well received beer is a really simple kölsch with just a straight pilsner malt bill. Depending on what your intended style is, maybe 10-20% specialty/wheat malt for head retention or complexity, but 100% pils works just fine.

This is 100% true for me too. I've brewed complex sours, oak aged quads, all kinds of crazy/boss stuff and most people were all up on the Kolsch.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Jacobey000 posted:

This is 100% true for me too. I've brewed complex sours, oak aged quads, all kinds of crazy/boss stuff and most people were all up on the Kolsch.

It's so true. I went to a hoppy beer festival with 30 New England Breweries and each had 3-4 beers ranging all across the hop spectrum. And one of the greatest things was a simple balanced hop Pilsner malt based beer.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I am going to be making my first starter later (wyeast 1450 denny's fav 50) any tips? When using the DME am I suppose to use extra dme or just a portion of what the recipe calls for? Going to be brewing on Sunday so hopefully it's enough time to get it going.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jacobey000 posted:

For me it's my blondes. I can do all sorts of weird/experimental/complex stuff but I HAVE to keep my blonde on hand / on tap at all times lest the visitors get restless.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Harminoff posted:

So I am going to be making my first starter later (wyeast 1450 denny's fav 50) any tips? When using the DME am I suppose to use extra dme or just a portion of what the recipe calls for? Going to be brewing on Sunday so hopefully it's enough time to get it going.

Extra.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Extra, the starter is not part of the calculations for the sugar content/etc for the beer itself. In fact you can decant the majority of the "Beer" produced in the starter leaving just enough to be able to pour the resulting Sludgy Yeasty Goodness into the fermenter. Although when i was looking at doing 3BBL batches, I was planning to make a starter for a 10 Gallon batch of the beer and then dump the whole 10 gallon beer into the 3BBL fermenter as a starter and make up for a little loss in transfers/racking.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well poo poo. Guess I'll not use a starter and just hope for the best then :( I also have some dry windsor yeast. How hosed up would it be to just throw that in as well? Making a milk stout.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Well poo poo. Guess I'll not use a starter and just hope for the best then :( I also have some dry windsor yeast. How hosed up would it be to just throw that in as well? Making a milk stout.

You probably don't need to be mixing yeasts. If I recall right, one will just grow faster and you won't get combined profiles.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Whats your planned OG? Smack Packs are usually OK to pitch by themselves up to 1.060 or so.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Go with just the yeast you planned unless you know you're WAY under pitching. If you're under pitching but not terribly, go ahead ad re-hydrate to maintain as much yeast viability into the wort at the beginning.
Worst case, you'll have beer! :guinness:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

j3rkstore posted:

Whats your planned OG? Smack Packs are usually OK to pitch by themselves up to 1.060 or so.

1.052 so I'll just pitch it. Thanks for the help everyone!

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
It's gotten cold and my basement is a relatively constant 52 degrees. I don't have a fermentation chamber. I've been doing ales but I think that's a bit low for ales and yet it's too high for lagers (or at least for the conditioning phase of lagers?). What should I brew? What yeast would be happiest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

toe knee hand posted:

It's gotten cold and my basement is a relatively constant 52 degrees. I don't have a fermentation chamber. I've been doing ales but I think that's a bit low for ales and yet it's too high for lagers (or at least for the conditioning phase of lagers?). What should I brew? What yeast would be happiest?

52? Yeah you're stuck in lager territory there. You could make a nice dunkel. Bohemian lager yeast has been kindest to me so far with my cold-but-not-controlled temperatures (2124) but you'll need some kind of diacetyl rest at a warmer spot.