Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nate fisher posted:

What always made SL standout to me is that mix of the Peyton Place and The Haunting of Hill House influence crossed with what is basically Dracula. I think enjoyed reading about what the small town folks do behind closed doors more than about anything in that book. Also I would love for King to write a prequel to SL, just about Hubert Marsten and the Marsten House. But I guess just like The Haunting of Hill House what makes it so great, is not knowing what the evil is (why has Jerusalem's Lot always been so evil?)/

There's already the Jerusalem's Lot prequel short story that touches on why the town was evil in the distant past (1850 in the narrative, and covering a series of events leading up to 1789). So I don't really think having a mid-quel about what was up with Marsten and the Marsten House could really give us knowing why the town always has evil, it just clears up one part while probably adding in more unanswered questions. I'd love to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Which short story collection has that weird one about the maid eating jizz off the bedsheets? Don't give him that book, it'll make him weird, probably.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

imabanana posted:

Blows my mind there's never been a movie adaptation.

I've read that there is one planned. Like, it's super early in production, likely no script let alone a director or any cast, but it's in the pipline. There are seemingly a poo poo ton of major King adaptations in plans right now, like IT and The Stand, which is pretty cool. However, there is little chance they will be that great, considering how poorly most King stories translate into films. The stuff that makes his books so great (at least the supernatural or epic style books) is impossible to translate to the screen.

The Long Walk would is an exception to this though, and I think it could make a great movie. It's a perfect story for the trend of Hunger Games style kids-put-into-life-and-death-games books/films that are majorly en vogue at the moment. Not surprising at all that it's finally being developed.

Damo fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 23, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You'd get a million chucklefucks bitching about how it's a rip off of the Hunger Games.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

...and JJ Abrams will direct it and it will consist of 90 min of flashbacks and 15 min on the road... :(

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

Which short story collection has that weird one about the maid eating jizz off the bedsheets? Don't give him that book, it'll make him weird, probably.

That would be Dedication out of Nightmares and Dreamscapes. I remember reading that and having to reread that part right after just to make sure I hadn't just lost my mind. Anyone who hasn't read it, don't bother. It's not a good enough story to warrant the bizarre premise.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm starting Revival tonight. This book's supposed to be good, right?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

facebook jihad posted:

I'm starting Revival tonight. This book's supposed to be good, right?

I liked it, but looking back at the last page or so of this thread it seems to have mixed reviews.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I liked it. But I thought the ending sucked. And I usually am not in that camp.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm about a third of the way in now and I'm enjoying it, but man is King really leaning heavily on boomer nostalgia these days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Damo posted:

I've read that there is one planned. Like, it's super early in production, likely no script let alone a director or any cast, but it's in the pipline. There are seemingly a poo poo ton of major King adaptations in plans right now, like IT and The Stand, which is pretty cool. However, there is little chance they will be that great, considering how poorly most King stories translate into films. The stuff that makes his books so great (at least the supernatural or epic style books) is impossible to translate to the screen.

The Long Walk would is an exception to this though, and I think it could make a great movie. It's a perfect story for the trend of Hunger Games style kids-put-into-life-and-death-games books/films that are majorly en vogue at the moment. Not surprising at all that it's finally being developed.

Frank Darabont is basically constantly saying he wants to do The Long Walk but never seems to get around to it.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Pick any one of King's works at random, and the answer to its possible adaptation is, "the rights are owned by someone, somewhere, but it's currently in development hell," with one or two notable exceptions that manage to maybe sorta kinda escape this grim fate... temporarily (e.g. when there is a news item about Salem's Lot or The Dark Tower).

edit: Or the answer is "Actually, it was adapted a few years ago on a shoestring budget and no one heard of it, and another one is in the works, but it's in development hell."

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 26, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

DirtyRobot posted:

adaptations

Not wrong there.... IMDB says:

Gerald's Game (novel) (announced) 2015
Lisey's Story (novel) (announced) 2015
Nightmares & Dreamscapes: Popsy (Short) (story) (announced) 2015
Strawberry Spring (Short) (story) (announced)
11/22/63 (TV Mini-Series) (based on the novel by) (announced)
Doorway (Short) (story) (announced)
It (novel) (announced)
The Talisman (TV Mini-Series) (novel) (announced) 2016
In the Deathroom (Short) (story) (pre-production) 2015
Death Room (Short) (story) (filming) 2015
Cell (based on the novel by) / (screenplay) (post-production) 2014
The Death of Jack Hamilton (Short) (story) (post-production) 2013/I
The Boogeyman (Short) (writer) (post-production) 2014
Beachworld (Short) (from the short story by) (completed) 2014
Harvey's Dream (Short) (writer) (completed) 2014/I
Night Surf (Short) (short story) (completed) 2012
The Last Rung on the Ladder (Short) (story) (completed) 2012

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I was never a big fan of the stand, which to me is the worst of King's major works. I've defended it when people clearly didn't get the ending, and i can appreciate what he was trying to do, but it never moved me the way that, say, the shining did. That said, I am about half way through The Passage, which people love to compare to the Stand, and it is giving me new appreciation for King's work. Say what you will about Frannie and all that, but at least post apocalyptic world there isn't written like a stereotypical American high school.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

joepinetree posted:

I was never a big fan of The Stand, which to me is the worst of King's major works. I've defended it when people clearly didn't get the ending, and i can appreciate what he was trying to do, but it never moved me the way that, say, The Shining did.

The Stand might be a tad overrated and I'm in agreement that it's not King's best book but the ending is the least of my problems with it. I got Revival for Christmas and will dig into it when I find the mood (meaning once I get through reading George Clinton's biography, also received for Christmas). Seems reviews are mixed (Revival) but I'll decide for myself. I enjoy King's more grounded and less supernatural stuff so it may be up my alley.

What do you list amongst King's "major works", out of curiosity? How you do separate minor from major? Some of the best things he's written have been short stories after all.

Aside: Regarding The Shining, is it cool to like both as well as the movie or do I have to choose one?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I love both the novel, and Kubrick's version. So you are not alone.

For grouping King's novels (not short stories) what I consider his major works are:

The Shining
The Stand
Salem's Lot
It
The Long Walk
Cujo
The Tailsman
Dead Zone
Different Seasons (this is a cheating, but I love 3 of the novellas)

Everything from my list is stuff I read in the mid to late 80's. My reading taste changed some during the 90's, but I did continue to read King (as I still do today). So I might not be the best person to answer that. I just remember a time when reading a King novel felt like an event. Pet Sematary would of made the list, but it just didn't hold up as high to me when I read it again last year.

Christmas gift from my wife

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's cool, I'd love to have that on my wall.

and when you see the picture in detail like that, the Minotaur symbolism becomes pretty obvious :v:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

The Stand might be a tad overrated and I'm in agreement that it's not King's best book but the ending is the least of my problems with it. I got Revival for Christmas and will dig into it when I find the mood (meaning once I get through reading George Clinton's biography, also received for Christmas). Seems reviews are mixed (Revival) but I'll decide for myself. I enjoy King's more grounded and less supernatural stuff so it may be up my alley.

What do you list amongst King's "major works", out of curiosity? How you do separate minor from major? Some of the best things he's written have been short stories after all.

Aside: Regarding The Shining, is it cool to like both as well as the movie or do I have to choose one?

Yeah, I have no problem with the Stand's ending. I just prefer small town/everyday horror King than apocalyptic King. But it is still far better than the Passage, though I don't want to derail the thread too much.

As for his major works, I guess they would be the works that non-King fans would immediately recognize as King, so nate fisher's list plus Misery, Pet Sematary and the Dark Tower series.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Sharkie posted:

That's cool, I'd love to have that on my wall.

and when you see the picture in detail like that, the Minotaur symbolism becomes pretty obvious :v:

How so? I'm missing something.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Pheeets posted:

How so? I'm missing something.

Watch Room 237.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

DannyTanner posted:

Watch Room 237.

Thanks for the tip, but I have no way of doing that. A simple explanation would suffice. I'm just not understanding what particular details in the pic he's referring to.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pheeets posted:

Thanks for the tip, but I have no way of doing that. A simple explanation would suffice. I'm just not understanding what particular details in the pic he's referring to.

I've seen it but I'd have to rewatch it to get to that little bit of ephemera. It's a mess but it's a funny mess for all the weird theories.

On the plus side a newer version of Kubrick's Gold Story is free to watch on youtube. This guy's theories are better than all five(?) loonies in Room 237 and they all tie up into one neat little package.

BUY GOLD! :tinfoil:

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

I don't think a simple explanation is possible.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

I have two painfully torn rotator cuffs awaiting surgery, so I can't really do an internet treasure hunt as my time sitting upright is limited, hence my asking for a simple answer. I understand what Minotaur symbolism is in the Case of The Shining, I just wonder what details in the picture he was referring to that he says make it obvious. I honestly only see a bunch of people in fancy dress. So I assume I'm missing something and it's driving me a little starkers, tbh.

ETA: I will watch both of those suggestions though, once I'm all sewed up again.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 29, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pheeets posted:

I have two painfully torn rotator cuffs awaiting surgery, so I can't really do an internet treasure hunt as my time sitting upright is limited, hence my asking for a simple answer. I understand what Minotaur symbolism is in the Case of The Shining, I just wonder what details in the picture he was referring to that he says make it obvious. I honestly only see a bunch of people in fancy dress. So I assume I'm missing something and it's driving me a little starkers, tbh.

ETA: I will watch both of those suggestions though, once I'm all sewed up again.

It's a bad theory about the hedge maze being the labyrinth or something. This woman gets obsessed with the window in the hotel manager's office not being architecturally possible and thus somehow at the center of the Overlook as a maze and a picture of a skier being a minotaur even though it looks nothing like it. She sounds lucid but her theory seems pretty baseless to me.

I have no idea what that has to do with the ballroom shot.

And sorry about your shoulders. Get well soon.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pheeets posted:

Syscall Girl explained it. It was a lame joke on my part about the ridiculous Minotaur theory someone discusses in Room 237 - a documentary about off-the-wall theories about the Shining. The party picture has nothing to do with it. :shrug:

Still a cool thing to have, though. And ouch, sorry about the cuffs!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
My absolute favorite bit from Room 237 is the one guy who thinks that Kubrick positioned a letter tray on a desk specifically so it looks like Jack has an erection for one frame of the movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DannyTanner posted:

Watch Room 237.

No. Don't do this.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

BiggerBoat posted:

No. Don't do this.

Agreed. It's like a TED talk decided to get high and watch The Shining, for the express purpose of coming up with explicitly dumb theories about it. It's cringey as all hell.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I still think Kubrick intentionally showing the Hotel's layout to be physically impossible would have been a cool move, even though he probably didn't.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

I still think Kubrick intentionally showing the Hotel's layout to be physically impossible would have been a cool move, even though he probably didn't.

Jan Harlan executive producer of The Shining posted:

Regarding the continuity errors, however, the jury is out. Kubrick, he explains, was always intent on pushing the form, on leaving the work open to multiple interpretations, like the French impressionists or the Cubist painters that went before. "A straightforward horror film was not what interested him," Harlan insists. "He wanted more ambiguity. If he was going to make a film about ghosts, he wanted it to be ghostly from the very first to the very last. The set was very deliberately built to be offbeat and off the track, so that the huge ballroom would never actually fit inside. The audience is deliberately made to not know where they're going. People say The Shining doesn't make sense. Well spotted! It's a ghost movie. It's not supposed to make sense."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As stupid as it is, I reeeeeally want to see the shining projected forward and reverse. I've seen clips of it online and poo poo looks bugged out. I'm sure Kubrick never intended it to be watched that way, but it seems like it would be a fun little "wut" experience.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Sharkie posted:

Syscall Girl explained it. It was a lame joke on my part about the ridiculous Minotaur theory someone discusses in Room 237 - a documentary about off-the-wall theories about the Shining. The party picture has nothing to do with it. :shrug:

Still a cool thing to have, though. And ouch, sorry about the cuffs!

Ah, okay, I tend to be extremely literal sometimes. The pic is creepy enough as it is, and I wouldn't suggest poring over it at 3 am while high on painkillers.

The whole "being pursued through a maze-like hotel then an actual maze by a daddy-turned-murderous-monster" is what gets me on a gut level, but I love the other weird theories too. I actually stayed in a hotel very similar to that in way upstate New Hampshire once and it creeped me out.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Just found Bachman Books at my library so got a chance to read Rage. I knew nothing going into it except that it was out of print (didn't even know it was about a school shooting). But that was a pretty intense and really good short book. I'd recommend it to anyone that can find it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Joose Caboose posted:

Just found Bachman Books at my library so got a chance to read Rage. I knew nothing going into it except that it was out of print (didn't even know it was about a school shooting). But that was a pretty intense and really good short book. I'd recommend it to anyone that can find it.

Rage is pretty great but suffers from knowing that over the years it's become non-fiction and almost common place. I doubt it would shake up a kid who read it at the age I did where a school shooting was almost impossible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

Rage is pretty great but suffers from knowing that over the years it's become non-fiction and almost common place. I doubt it would shake up a kid who read it at the age I did where a school shooting was almost impossible.

You know that was never right? Kids had already started doing them in the 1960s.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

I know what you mean. When Burroughs was writing about Hassan i Sabbah, the Arab assassin combating American imperial tyranny, that seemed like a cool subversive stance in the '60s, but post-9/11 it really doesn't seem quite so wonderful.

Also, I think you have to be about 14 to get the best out of RAGE. Luckily, that was exactly how old I was when I first read it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I would say that Rage is even eerier now that they are more common. Here's the thing that gets me, I think; Charlie is a real piece of poo poo, but apart from his violent craziness he is a likable enough guy. He wins over most of his class and is full of biting insight that, for a high school kid, has to be paralleling some of what they think about school and society. King uses Charlie as an antihero, not a villain. I imagine that has a lot to do with why it is out of print.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Jazerus posted:

I would say that Rage is even eerier now that they are more common. Here's the thing that gets me, I think; Charlie is a real piece of poo poo, but apart from his violent craziness he is a likable enough guy. He wins over most of his class and is full of biting insight that, for a high school kid, has to be paralleling some of what they think about school and society. King uses Charlie as an antihero, not a villain. I imagine that has a lot to do with why it is out of print.

I liked Rage a lot, and I agree that the number of real-life school shootings is getting out of hand. I don't think that Charlie reflects the average modern-day school shooter though. Charlie (if I remember correctly, it's been a few years) started off just carrying the gun because he liked it, and eventually, just got fed up enough to do something. He didn't really have any kind of purpose at first, he was just boiling with too many emotions and eventually the situation exploded. Most modern school shooters are all about Making A Statement. They write manifestos, plot how to do the most damage and get the maximum media coverage. They plan the shooting, in some cases, choosing their targets beforehand.

I mean, I understand why SK took it out of print, and how he might feel that it would influence someone who's young and angry, but I think the news & social media have a lot more to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The protagonist in Rage is very much in the vein of the late 60s and early/mid 70s school shooters. He only actually kills two teachers (it was typical at the time for school shootings to only have one or two people killed), and the temporarily holding more people hostage thing had also been attempted at least a few times before.