Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ThomasPaine posted:

Can someone give me the Cliffnotes version of understanding Tory-speak on the deficit.

They say it has been halved. I don't think that's a particular priority at all but whatever let's run with it.
Then I'm told the deficit is actually higher than it was under New Labour.
So which is true? Whether it's an important measure or not, have the Tories actually been successful at reducing it?
If not, how do they spin their claims of halving it? I'm going to guess it's possible with some statistical alchemy, because surely even George Osborne can't just barefaced lie and not even bother to make it seem believable without the opposition and the media giving him a hiding? ...Surely.
He can, can't he?

Osborne is basically our version of Vladislav Surkov.

Oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
The Free Market has decided the next Government will be Conservative:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/02/labour-general-election-campaign-douglas-alexander

quote:

Labour is likely to be outspent by the Conservatives by a factor of three to one in the general election, the party’s election boss has admitted, but insists it can still win the tightest battle in generations through an intensive ground war built around local party activism.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You forgot something

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

baka kaba posted:

You forgot something

put this poo poo in the op

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Guardian is salivating about a Grand Coalition.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

tory speechwriter advocating a single party state :o

M for Mushroom
Jan 1, 2006

new york london paris munich
Here's one I prepared earlier

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

LemonDrizzle posted:

[*]Ebola will be eliminated
So Ebola will join smallpox as the only human diseases to have been successfully exterminated? Somehow I doubt it.

I assume they mean the current outbreak will end, which is not the same thing at all

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

edit: le post double

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

So Ebola will join smallpox as the only human diseases to have been successfully exterminated? Somehow I doubt it.
The Rotarians almost managed it with polio.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Yup, but they haven't quite eradicated it yet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Didn't they reach a stage where they thought that they had for quite a while, only to be disappointed by a fairly recent outbreak?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Didn't they reach a stage where they thought that they had for quite a while, only to be disappointed by a fairly recent outbreak?

They had it basically down to four countries (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia and Nigeria) where political and/or religious problems had kept them out. It's now spreading back out from those bases, and the situation in the original countries has only got worse.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

baka kaba posted:

I couldn't find a high street shot so have liverpool instead

This looks like one of the streets just outside anfield where the football ground has been aggressively buying up houses and destroying the area so they could expand/build a new ground for peanuts. Its a proper fuckin shithole and they should have been dragged in front of the courts for it.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They had it basically down to four countries (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia and Nigeria) where political and/or religious problems had kept them out. It's now spreading back out from those bases, and the situation in the original countries has only got worse.
Especially when the CIA posed as an international medical team during their hunt for Osama bin Laden, thus giving legitimacy to all the conspiracy theories about Western doctors in the pay of the CIA going round sterilising Muslims.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-27/polio-resurges-as-health-emergency-in-pakistan/5478144

quote:

Senior Pakistani health officials have welcomed a move by US intelligence agencies to stop using immunisation programs as a cover for their operations.

But the move comes amid a resurgence of polio cases in Pakistan, a country once thought to be on the verge of eradicating the deadly disease.

"It is good news. If they stick to it then it will help with convincing people that vaccines are not part of a conspiracy," Dr Nima Abid, a senior official with the World Health Organisation in Islamabad, said.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Happy new year and all that.

We need more of this next year.

Not that you university educated fucks are ever going to provide it.

I have excused myself on account of age and having done my bit.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
A 16 year old kid in Britain today is more likely to have a smart phone than live with their dad. loving hell

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

General China posted:

I have excused myself on account of age and having done my bit.

Mao posted:

To regard oneself as having rendered great service to the revolution, to pride oneself on being a veteran, to disdain minor assignments while being quite unequal to major tasks, to be slipshod in work and slack in study. This is a tenth type.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

serious gaylord posted:

This looks like one of the streets just outside anfield where the football ground has been aggressively buying up houses and destroying the area so they could expand/build a new ground for peanuts. Its a proper fuckin shithole and they should have been dragged in front of the courts for it.

Oh yeah? Sounds like a plan, along with Nationalise Everything. I've seen lots of streets like that though, I think some councils try to buy them up and use them for social housing, but generally they're just left tinned up and it's a huge waste. Even worse where there's like one or two families living alone in the street, like a ghost town

Total Meatlove posted:

A 16 year old kid in Britain today is more likely to have a smart phone than live with their dad. loving hell

Is this that weird? Phones are kinda ubiquitous for kids now, and single-parent families or ones with step-parents aren't that unusual. Plus some 16-year-olds might have moved out if they're out of school

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

baka kaba posted:

Oh yeah? Sounds like a plan, along with Nationalise Everything. I've seen lots of streets like that though, I think some councils try to buy them up and use them for social housing, but generally they're just left tinned up and it's a huge waste. Even worse where there's like one or two families living alone in the street, like a ghost town

They started by offering higher than value to some homes and then when they bought them, boarded them up which dropped the prices. They then made it public that they were buying up houses to develop the new ground which tanked house prices some more and then offered people just below what they were worth then boarded those up too. They also took over the freehold for all the commercial buildings and kicked them all out on their arses.

Anyone that didn't sell up then basically had to go grovelling to them to sell for as low as they could get away with as the streets were deserted and havens of drug abuse and crime.

All for a ground which they're most likely not going to build now.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My NHS employer has just seen a change in caterer. Previously G4S, it's now an organisation I don't immediately mentally-link to dead asylum seekers.
So it's a shame the food is now both more expensive and worse.

Also my 1-5 monthly travelcard has gone up by a tenner.

2015 is off to a poo poo start.

On the subject of phones, having phoned around trying to book someone in for an appointment for next week, the first family that had an accurate mobile number was the first I managed to speak to (attempt #6).
Basically, anyone who still thinks that a mobile phone is a 'luxury' is nothing less than an menu item come the revolution.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

All reactionaries are paper tigers.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

ThomasPaine posted:

Can someone give me the Cliffnotes version of understanding Tory-speak on the deficit.

They say it has been halved. I don't think that's a particular priority at all but whatever let's run with it.
Then I'm told the deficit is actually higher than it was under New Labour.
So which is true? Whether it's an important measure or not, have the Tories actually been successful at reducing it?
If not, how do they spin their claims of halving it? I'm going to guess it's possible with some statistical alchemy, because surely even George Osborne can't just barefaced lie and not even bother to make it seem believable without the opposition and the media giving him a hiding? ...Surely.
He can, can't he?
Part of the issue is playing on people's ignorance of deficit vs debt. Running any kind of deficit simply means government spending is greater than total tax receipts so halving it means jack poo poo without a clear frame of reference to the impact on the public debt overall. In fact, having "only" halved it by this point, despite such savage cuts, completely misses the Tories' original Recovery Plan (as many economists have pointed out, this is because cutting spending during a recession chokes the economy, reduces your tax receipts and leaves you worse than when you started).

The Tory defense to this is Plan A is working just fine thank you very much, it's just going to take longer. How much longer? Let me just consult this piece of string (but in the meantime the blood-letting must continue).

edit: to answer the specific question, the deficit as a ratio of GDP has roughly halved. They are conveniently leaving the ratio part out of the campaign message (in cash terms it's only reduced by about a third so it's a lie by omission).

Taratang fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 2, 2015

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Is this that weird? Phones are kinda ubiquitous for kids now, and single-parent families or ones with step-parents aren't that unusual. Plus some 16-year-olds might have moved out if they're out of school

Yeah you can get a cheap android smartphone for like £50 these days.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

marktheando posted:

lots of people buy things on credit at places like Brighthouse which basically see them saddled with weekly payments for years.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

marktheando posted:

£50 is a lot of money.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

General China posted:

£50 is a lot of money.

In the grand scheme of things it isn't really.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's £1 a week for slightly less than a year

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pantsuit posted:

lots of people buy things on credit at places like Brighthouse which basically see them saddled with weekly payments for years.

Those places should be outlawed.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

JFairfax posted:

In the grand scheme of things it isn't really.

some people don't operate on the grand scheme of things

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also how many of you are familiar with this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZ1214WYP8

I love Roots Manuva's verse which includes the lyrics:

hot footing stepping from the SPGs
that's special police groups that bust up your knees
and maggie the milk snatcher
miners strikes and bmx bikes
cuts in education, rising inflation
police brutality and mass frustration
the brixton riots and the new sports centre
it didn't quite achieve the poo poo that it was meant'a

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

JFairfax posted:

Also how many of you are familiar with this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZ1214WYP8

I love Roots Manuva's verse which includes the lyrics:

hot footing stepping from the SPGs
that's special police groups that bust up your knees
and maggie the milk snatcher
miners strikes and bmx bikes
cuts in education, rising inflation
police brutality and mass frustration
the brixton riots and the new sports centre
it didn't quite achieve the poo poo that it was meant'a

n the grand scheme of things it isn't really.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
New competition- what university did JFairfax go to?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know the answer to this.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The Polio and Smallpox viruses don't have non-human reservoirs. If they are eliminated from the human population for long enough to die out in the environment then they can be completely eradicated.

Ebola virus infects other primates and is believed to hang around in bats, which would make complete eradication a bit more difficult.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

JFairfax posted:

I know the answer to this.

eludicate us

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The big stupid university for dumb babbies

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you really want to know, I went to Liverpool University to study history, but I dropped out after failing the second year and went back to Somerset to work various minimum wage factory jobs.

Last year I took a couple of modules with the Open University, using the points I had acquired at Liverpool and putting them towards an open degree qualification with the OU.

If I take another 60 point module with the OU I can get a degree without honours but if I get another 120 points I will be eligible to get a degree with honours.

That help?

Incidentally I think I was in the second year of people to pay tuition fees, they were £1500 a year if I remember correctly. I am still paying off the loans for my failed degree attempt.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Regarde Aduck posted:

The big stupid university for dumb babbies

this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JFairfax posted:

If you really want to know, I went to Liverpool University to study history, but I dropped out after failing the second year and went back to Somerset to work various minimum wage factory jobs.

Last year I took a couple of modules with the Open University, using the points I had acquired at Liverpool and putting them towards an open degree qualification with the OU.

If I take another 60 point module with the OU I can get a degree without honours but if I get another 120 points I will be eligible to get a degree with honours.

That help?

Incidentally I think I was in the second year of people to pay tuition fees, they were £1500 a year if I remember correctly. I am still paying off the loans for my failed degree attempt.

higher education is bourgeois excess

• Locked thread