Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
No this actually happened in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Toronto supposedly shipped off its squeegee kids to Detroit, although really it was just made illegal in 1999. I've seen a few making their comeback now, especially on Jarvis, but they look mostly like distressed older men, not actual kids/teenagers.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The Winnipeg police provide a free transport service

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Throatwarbler posted:

Haha is this an actual thing? I always heard that about Calgary solving its homeless problem every winter by just giving them all bus tickets to Vancouver but I thought it was just a Ralph Klein joke.

I have quite truthfully encountered homeless on the Calgary -> Vancouver route several times over the past decade, who told me that they got the ticket for free.

VVV: Cool, my rental jumped up to $933k. Land is now valued at $882k (A $110k increase), whereas the house dropped in value to $51k, from $54k. And people wonder why houses are getting demolished left right and center in this town.

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 3, 2015

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 8, 2015

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rime posted:

VVV: Cool, my rental jumped up to $933k. Land is now valued at $882k (A $110k increase), whereas the house dropped in value to $51k, from $54k. And people wonder why houses are getting demolished left right and center in this town.

Huh. The place I'm living in is valued at $3.4 mil (being a duplex). Buildings went down from $144K to $50K. Land went up from $2.8 mil to $3.35 mil.

Partly I believe this is because developers wanted it to add to the six-storey condo block they're putting up next door. I've heard that my landlady turned down an offer of $4 mil.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

computer parts posted:

The original post was about the world, not just (apparently Western?) Europe.
Sure but that wasn't what we (you and me) were quibbling over. I also did address his comment and you and the other guy have only been focusing on one part of my reply while ignoring the rest. While the G in GFC is there for a reason the US and Europe were the 2 main areas effected by both the run up and bust and comprise a gigantic chunk of global GDP and credit markets before and after the GFC. Its entirely reasonable to focus on them.

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Dismantling capital controls is definitely one of the most influential bits of neoliberal policy, because it gave capital (banks, investors, whomever) so much more leverage over domestic policy than they had previously had.
Its definitely a big piece and I wasn't aware that some had started that early at pursuing neo-liberal policies. So I'd have to retract that part of my comment. I still don't believe European countries really went as far as the US in pursing those policies in general though. The closest would probably be the UK under Thatcher.

Guy DeBorgore posted:

That said, I'm sure that banks lobbied in favour of these measures, so I suppose you can still say they're "responsible" for it in some sense.
Why do you believe the lobbying efforts and influence of the monied interests and banks is to be ignored or at least downplayed massively to the point of near insignificance? Especially when you know they also get to heavily influence who gets to be a politician or regulator in the first place?

If I went and 'bought' a key politician or group of them and made sure they got into office by throwing heaps of campaign cash at them so they could rubber stamp all the bills I wanted passed, well they'd be corrupt scumbags right? But so would I since I was the one who bought them out and made sure they got elected and paid the tame think tanks and lobbying groups to write and push for the laws I wanted for them to rubber stamp.

Both groups in that example are huge assholes and need to go.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

Prosperous? Over 50% of the residents have to commute to another city just to make ends meet, and those stuck working here live with the daily risk of falling into poverty. There is a huge demand for affordable housing and rental properties that the city refuses to acknowledge, instead subsidizing the construction of 3 giant condo towers along the lake front and an art center no on will visit. There is a large, growing homeless population that is putting a strain on local food banks and has few places to go (when they arent being put on buses and shipped to other cities). City resources and infrastructure are already stretched paper thin and the costs for upgrading cant be met because our council is so loving daft at managing the population we already have. If this is positive growth and prosperity then loving sign me up for Thunder Bay. Or Iceland.

Where in the goddman Christ are you getting your information? The unemployment rate in Barrie in 4.5% and in Toronto it's 7.5%. Our labour force is 120,000ish and there are about 30,000 commuters, far from 50% especially if you subtract people commuting into Barrie to work. Boohoo that the local government isn't building you affordable housing, here's the next best thing. Get two buddies, pay 466 bucks a month for an all inclusive apartment. Heat, electricity, laundry, appliances, close to transportation and in a nice area. That's a sweet deal when you live in a city with one of the lowest unemployment rates and one of the highest employment participation rates.

Furnaceface posted:

Instead we have a city trying so hard to be Toronto without any of the underlying support that makes Toronto actually loving work as a densely populated city.

That's the craziest claim I've ever read in this thread. Toronto functions as a densely populated city. The city that's constantly bogged in gridlock, needs tens of billions of dollars to upgrade their transportation infrastructure. And you're complaining about Barrie's 3 new condos, if only we had Toronto's amazing affordable housing... I can't believe the Toronto goons let you get away with that.

Edit: Actually, I suppose that Barrie is in fact Toronto's affordable housing provider.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 3, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Ikantski posted:

Where in the goddman Christ are you getting your information? The unemployment rate in Barrie in 4.5% and in Toronto it's 7.5%. Our labour force is 120,000ish and there are about 30,000 commuters, far from 50% especially if you subtract people commuting into Barrie to work. Boohoo that the local government isn't building you affordable housing, here's the next best thing. Get two buddies, pay 466 bucks a month for an all inclusive apartment. Heat, electricity, laundry, appliances, close to transportation and in a nice area. That's a sweet deal when you live in a city with one of the lowest unemployment rates and one of the highest employment participation rates.

That's the craziest claim I've ever read in this thread. Toronto functions as a densely populated city. The city that's constantly bogged in gridlock, needs tens of billions of dollars to upgrade their transportation infrastructure. And you're complaining about Barrie's 3 new condos, if only we had Toronto's amazing affordable housing... I can't believe the Toronto goons let you get away with that.

Edit: Actually, I suppose that Barrie is in fact Toronto's affordable housing provider.

this says that Barrie's (e: employed) labour force is around 93k, not 130k - still looking over the rest of it for whether it tracks how many people who work in the city live there.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
FUCKIN' L.O.L.

Bradian, BC, Sold to Chinese Investors for $993k

:laffo:

Everything about this, and the things it says about BC. Such hilarity. No words.

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 3, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

JawKnee posted:

this says that Barrie's (e: employed) labour force is around 93k, not 130k - still looking over the rest of it for whether it tracks how many people who work in the city live there.

Thank you for that compelling data from September 2009 (or Feb 2008 but let's assume it's the most recent and only just over 5 years old). At the bottom of your page it lists statscan catalogues from 2007 and 2012 as the source and I linked to my source, the most recent Nov 2014 ones right? and that I said 120, not 130? I believe statscan gets the numbers by doing phone surveys but I'm not sure about that. I'll give you guys a crash course in obtaining this kind of information:

1. Go to statscan employment data (http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a26?lang=eng&retrLang=eng&id=2820116&paSer=&pattern=&stByVal=1&p1=1&p2=37&tabMode=dataTable&csid=)
2. Click "Add/Remove Data"
3. Choose dates, cities, etc
4. Generate a table of accurate data so you can craft an argument based on data that's not over 5 years old.

It's pretty easy to use and your tax dollars pay for it so may as well give it a whirl.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime posted:

FUCKIN' L.O.L.

Bradian, BC, Sold to Chinese Investors for $993 Million

Everything about this, and the things it says about BC. Such hilarity. No words.

They probably just liked the thought of buying a whole town with vacant year round residential properties.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Rime posted:

FUCKIN' L.O.L.

Bradian, BC, Sold to Chinese Investors for $993 Million

Where did you get $993 million? Article says "Lovelace said the final sale bid was close to the original asking price of $995,000".

edit: From the listing: "The Bradian Township is SOLD - BUT we have a brand new western town for sale, complete with a movie theatre, general store and saloon!"

spoof fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 3, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

etalian posted:

They probably just liked the thought of buying a whole town with vacant year round residential properties.

Bradian is a goddamn town-sized tear-down with nowhere to dump the refuse, the idiots that bought it in the 90's and just slapped new roofs on got so absurdly loving lucky with this deal.

Bradian Basement

There are maybe, perhaps, if you were willing to put in several hundred thousand dollars, Three houses up there that could be made habitable, if you tore them down to the framing. The rest are liabilities. I know, I've been inside every one of them. This is simply put the most colossally stupid and zero due-diligence investment we've ever seen come into BC from China. There will never be resale value for any of these properties. Never. The only justification for this deal is if it was an incredibly sly way to bribe the government for something, by passing money via the sales tax on the transaction. :psyduck:

spoof posted:

Where did you get $993 million? Article says "Lovelace said the final sale bid was close to the original asking price of $995,000".

edit: From the listing: "The Bradian Township is SOLD - BUT we have a brand new western town for sale, complete with a movie theatre, general store and saloon!"

Typo :v:

http://www.johnlovelace.com/business-commercial-listings.html/details-42457609

Looks like these chucklefucks specialize in scamming offshore investors as well as helping them game the immigration system! Man, real estate must really be a tough gig these days.

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 3, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That looks even worse than Sandon, and isn't that just depressing?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Sassafras posted:

Someone in Vancouver shipped as many out as would go for the Olympics, too. Shelters in places like Quesnel and Williams Lake certainly noticed.

In thread-related news, BC property assessment values for July 31st 2014 are available at http://evaluebc.bcassessment.ca/ and the site has been updated to be easy to use with autocomplete, the ability to access related information (recent sales, etc) without backing all the way out to the search page, etc.

My apartment (and none of the other apartments in my building) are listed. I guess the owners don't have to pay property taxes this year, is what I assume this means.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Throatwarbler posted:

Haha is this an actual thing? I always heard that about Calgary solving its homeless problem every winter by just giving them all bus tickets to Vancouver but I thought it was just a Ralph Klein joke.
Nope, "Greyhound therapy" is a real thing. Although sometimes it's Ontario -> Alberta.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Insane

http://www.doctorhousingbubble.com/canadian-housing-bubble-canada-real-estate-oil-economy/

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

It's pretty common for people to mention the $80-$85 range for the oil sands, but the truth is different deposits are extracted by different companies at different costs. Cenovus for example, can take it out for as little as $35 a barrel. No argument it is still more expensive than traditional methods.

All that said, it would be stupid to argue that oil prices won't have an affect on Alberta's housing prices.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Saltin posted:

All that said, it would be stupid to argue that oil prices won't have an affect on Alberta's housing prices.

There are a lot of Calgarians who were not here for either of the previous two busts in recent memory. It will be really hard to watch.

Already a bunch of the smaller producers have called up their labourers and are basically "Happy 2015, don't come back to work." Every Christmas party I went to this year consisted of at least a half an hour discussion of oil prices followed by me having to explain what OPEC is to people still involved in the industry (I jumped for high finance a few years ago out of a misguided hope for stability).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 3, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Saltin posted:

It's pretty common for people to mention the $80-$85 range for the oil sands, but the truth is different deposits are extracted by different companies at different costs. Cenovus for example, can take it out for as little as $35 a barrel. No argument it is still more expensive than traditional methods.

Yeah it was basically a commodity bubble which pushed spending in other sectors besides energy or materials.

I wonder what percentage of the province economy is actually not correlated with the materials and energy sectors?

also lol:
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/12/01/albertas_booming_economy_can_withstand_dipping_oil_prices.html

quote:

Some boats don’t rise as high as others in a province where oil keeps so many boats afloat. In fact, some boats are getting swamped.

But it’s not likely the most recent oil price plunge will significantly curb Alberta’s expanding economy.

etalian fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 3, 2015

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Whoa thanks for sharing key statistics from 2007!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Suncor was planning big capital spending increases for 2015 before the commodity bubble burst in December:

I wonder how much they adjusted the above?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Im assuming you didnt know you were using the Barrie CMA numbers for the total workforce and unemployment numbers which kind of skews some of your replies.

For starters, that 120k workforce includes Innisfil and surrounding areas. Also, that 30k mentioned in the mayors thing is specifically the number of people in Barrie commuting by car and ignores the number of people using the GO train to commute. What it also ignores is that the total number of commuters itself hasnt been reduced, just the number of people doing so by vehicle. Im also curious why you think people commuting into Barrie to work negates the number of people that have to do so. And while were on the topic of public transit and the GO train, theyre terrible and fewer people are using it, but we dont know how terrible or how many fewer because nobody properly tracks numbers.

Im worried about Barrie's employment if this bubble ever decides to pop. There is a decent number of people working in construction and finance that could be really hurt by it. I cant find 2014 data yet, but retail/commercial made up 44% of the entire workforce in the city in 2012 and it was still growing while industry and manufacturing was declining. I cant find a breakdown to find out how much is office work vs retail, but there is still a significant number of jobs in part time, seasonal and/or minimum wage occupations. Public transit is also expensive and very poorly run and in many cases you need a vehicle to get around the city meaning the cost of gas/insurance as well. This makes keeping up with the high cost of living here hard for a lot of people.

As for the rental thing, Barrie's vacancy rate is 1.6%, which is terrible since low vacancy almost always results in higher rental costs. These are the most recent rental numbers, notice that Barrie is the 3rd most expensive place to rent in Ontario: http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/corp/nero/nere/2014/2014-12-16-0816.cfm

Barrie was a wonderful place to live. I still have a small bit of hope that things will change, but it wont be under our current council who are mostly business and property owners that benefit from rapid population growth. Lehman is a pretty smart guy, I was lucky to have a few minutes of his time and asked him some questions about housing and the job market here to which he had some pretty good answers, but he is one person and the pack is mostly against him. :(

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Counterpoint, low vacancy is a sign of an efficient rental market

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

Counterpoint, low vacancy is a sign of an efficient rental market

In a perfect world I would agree. But in this case its a council keeping supply below demand so that property owners can increase rental rates to make more money. :(

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Furnaceface posted:

In a perfect world I would agree. But in this case its a council keeping supply below demand so that property owners can increase rental rates to make more money. :(

I'm so loving sick of this particularly Canadian form of mild corruption.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

Major upgrades are coming down the pipe for the Barrie line. The system of train control on that line in particular is archaic (no signal system north of Aurora), but a modern one has been installed, just not wired together yet. That'll let them run more trains with fewer delays.

Edit: Worth noting, your statistic of declining ridership appears to apply to Barrie Transit, not Go Transit in particular. The article also claims that ridership is increasing in recent times despite an overall decrease over a greater period.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 4, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lexicon posted:

I'm so loving sick of this particularly Canadian form of mild corruption.

How about renovating balconies and doing landscaping to apply for a 3% rent increase while ignoring the leaky roof, rusting pipes and inefficient heaters?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eXXon posted:

How about renovating balconies and doing landscaping to apply for a 3% rent increase while ignoring the leaky roof, rusting pipes and inefficient heaters?

Wouldn't be necessary if landlords were just allowed to raise rents to market values. The rule is justified, but the loopholes are so obvious that it's mostly ineffectual.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

eXXon posted:

I hadn't heard of this trick.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wasting posted:

Major upgrades are coming down the pipe for the Barrie line. The system of train control on that line in particular is archaic (no signal system north of Aurora), but a modern one has been installed, just not wired together yet. That'll let them run more trains with fewer delays.

Edit: Worth noting, your statistic of declining ridership appears to apply to Barrie Transit, not Go Transit in particular. The article also claims that ridership is increasing in recent times despite an overall decrease over a greater period.

The article is mostly about the public transit here and that it is going to struggle with the changes to the GO schedule. I dont have many knocks against the GO lines other than they were extremely rushed in Barrie and Innisfil. They have been tremendously useful and gently caress all the poo poo lords in the south end complaining about train whistles trying to get it shut down again.

As for the ridership, its not really calculated well and is largely just an estimate: "Barrie Transit calculates its monthly ridership by taking its total revenue collected and dividing it by the average fare, $2.10 per trip". Also, the dates they list the increases are literally when the college semesters start (Sept, Jan) and the decreases are at the end of the semesters. Basically when school is out, no one uses the public transit as it is constantly late and poorly routed. The new buses are really nice though!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Anecdote time: hanging out in Victoria over the Christmas period: hoooo boy are there ever a lot of condo for rent signs. What's especially interesting is that these were clearly intended as units for sale originally - e.g. the building at the corner of Tilicum Mall with the enormous rooftop rental sign.

Perhaps @Baronjutter has some additional insights? :)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Man am I ever sick of the fact that studios and bachelor's no longer exist in this city, except for the wealthy, and I will be forced to live with irresponsible shitlords forever unless I want to put 60% of my income towards rent. :suicide:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lexicon posted:

Anecdote time: hanging out in Victoria over the Christmas period: hoooo boy are there ever a lot of condo for rent signs. What's especially interesting is that these were clearly intended as units for sale originally - e.g. the building at the corner of Tilicum Mall with the enormous rooftop rental sign.

Perhaps @Baronjutter has some additional insights? :)

That was purpose built as rental and one of the first wave of 6 story wood frames in town. Also the rents there are really high, who the hell wants to pay that living on that awful corner?
Since the 1970's ish there wasn't a single new rental building in town but as of a couple years ago the share of new buildings being rentals vs condos has gone way up and now about 50% of major projects are purpose built rental towers.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 4, 2015

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

That was purpose built as rental and one of the first wave of 6 story wood frames in town. Also the rents there are really high, who the hell wants to pay that living on that awful corner?
Since the 1970's ish there wasn't a single new rental building in town but as of a couple years ago the share of new buildings being rentals vs condos has gone way up and now about 50% of major projects are purpose built rental towers.

My mistake - it just looks unmistakably like a horrible generic BC low(ish) rise condo building.

And yeah, that's a tremendously lovely place to live. That whole area feels like a giant deliberate cautionary tale against suburban hellscapes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/renters-paid-dollar441-billion-in-2014-time-to-buy/ar-BBhml3H

quote:

Jamille Ackerman has no desire to rent. A financial analyst in Washington, D.C., she is closing on a home in suburban Maryland in about two weeks.

"I don't believe in making someone else rich," said Ackerman, who is single and plans to move her father in with her.

This is not the first time the 32-year-old has invested in the housing market. She bought in 2007, at the height of the housing boom and then lost her home to foreclosure in 2011. Even after going through all the stress of rebuilding her credit, she still believes in home ownership.

"I prefer at my age to put my money towards a better investment. A home is an asset; an apartment, there is really not much in it for me as far as benefits," Ackerman said.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
'Financial analyst'

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ Someone's in the wrong line of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Lexicon posted:

^ Someone's in the wrong line of work.

You should see the fucktrain our quants run on their own personal investments. Don't buy a used car from a mechanic either.