Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gorilla Salad posted:

This might be interesting. Pedostache was literally the only person in the bridge crew who wasn't woefully incompetent.

Not sure I'd go that far, on either claim. First Mate cum Captain Pubestache was always incompetent as gently caress (SSCS standard), and it probably won't be interesting as the Japanese seemed to have mostly given up 2-3 years ago.

I'll still watch it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

It seems like they are out of urban legends, so the other option would be to cancel the show.

I don't think it's fair to say that they've run out of urban legends.

Remember when they used to have that folklorist on the show? The one thing she brought to the table was explaining (where possible) the UL sprung from. A decent amount of time time, it came from a clear source of fiction, like a funny story in the newspaper. As time passed people forgot the origins, and the Joke About The Man Who Did X became the Story About The Man Who Did X.

The 'funny story in the paper' has been replaced with 'funny scene on a TV show' or 'clickbait/*pasta written on the Internet', and in today's age it doesn't take centuries for a story to get disseminated everywhere to the point where Everyone Knows It.

I fully expect that a decent percentage of the things we mock them for testing now will be treated the same way we treat more iconic Urban Legends today. Might only be after the last person on Earth who remembers a show called Mythbusters is dead and buried, but still.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I don't think it's fair to say that they've run out of urban legends.

Remember when they used to have that folklorist on the show? The one thing she brought to the table was explaining (where possible) the UL sprung from. A decent amount of time time, it came from a clear source of fiction, like a funny story in the newspaper. As time passed people forgot the origins, and the Joke About The Man Who Did X became the Story About The Man Who Did X.

The 'funny story in the paper' has been replaced with 'funny scene on a TV show' or 'clickbait/*pasta written on the Internet', and in today's age it doesn't take centuries for a story to get disseminated everywhere to the point where Everyone Knows It.

I fully expect that a decent percentage of the things we mock them for testing now will be treated the same way we treat more iconic Urban Legends today. Might only be after the last person on Earth who remembers a show called Mythbusters is dead and buried, but still.

Wasn't that only for the handful of demo episodes and for the 1st season, before they had the Build Crew or even the "Plausible" outcome? I kinda liked the concept, but realistically, how many different ways there are to say "this was taken from a movie" or "this was told as a joke in the mid-west/south/new england/russia etc.?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They probably realized that she didn't really bring all that much to the table that an internet search couldn't so they just make an intern Google whatever it is they're looking into.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People didn't like her because she didn't interact with Jamie or Adam, so it was like she was stopping the fun to teach us all a lesson, as it was pretty clear Adam and Jamie didn't give a gently caress about where the story came from. STEM vs. social science isn't a good vibe for your fun show to have.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
She was let go because it was absolutely pointless to pay an additional on camera talent for something that the narrator or other on screen talents that you already pay could cover in a few lines, let alone having to plan for and then pay people to shoot her segments.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

She was let go because it was absolutely pointless to pay an additional on camera talent for something that the narrator or other on screen talents that you already pay could cover in a few lines, let alone having to plan for and then pay people to shoot her segments.

Alton Brown kept it up with those types and it got boring just as quick. That fat lady that explained things early on was the worst.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ariza posted:

Alton Brown kept it up with those types and it got boring just as quick. That fat lady that explained things early on was the worst.

Deb Duchon ruled, and was maybe the most frequent guest star on Good Eats.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

howe_sam posted:

Deb Duchon ruled, and was maybe the most frequent guest star on Good Eats.
Indeed.

(I don't remember saying Nutritional Anthropologist. Did you say Nutritional Anthropologist?)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

I kinda liked the concept, but realistically, how many different ways there are to say "this was taken from a movie" or "this was told as a joke in the mid-west/south/new england/russia etc.?

Right, I wasn't saying that she was important or anything. My point was that it's weird to decry them testing stories from mainstream fiction when the iconic Urban Legends came from at-the-time mainstream fiction.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Pedostache guy is mighty incompetent but either the editing was out of control or he does have actual balls of steel. Putting his crew in that situation is a poo poo thing to do though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Grem posted:

Pedostache guy is mighty incompetent but either the editing was out of control or he does have actual balls of steel. Putting his crew in that situation is a poo poo thing to do though.

I haven't watched it yet but come on, criminal indifference towards human life is like chapter 1 in the SSCS manual.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I'm a bit behind on it but I'm watching from DVR and watching them blow what is presumably a turbo by pushing an ancient engine too hard for hours is hilarious. Entirely on Pubestache, and nobody was willing to call him out there. That was a complete failure of crew resource management. This is the poo poo that gets people killed in environments like airlines, commercial shipping, and so on.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Watching the rerun now.

kefkafloyd posted:

I'm a bit behind on it but I'm watching from DVR and watching them blow what is presumably a turbo by pushing an ancient engine too hard for hours is hilarious. Entirely on Pubestache, and nobody was willing to call him out there. That was a complete failure of crew resource management. This is the poo poo that gets people killed in environments like airlines, commercial shipping, and so on.
That one old scrawny goateed dude was calling him out but the editors seem to be trying to make him into the villain because of it. I wonder how this little manufactured story arc is going to play out. And yeah, "failure of crew/bridge resource management" was literally #1 on the Whale Wars drinking game we made up a few years ago.

Good to see they're insufferable and delusional as ever. "The Japanese savages are so hostile and aggressive!" *commit acts of terrorism and sabotage with the explicit goal of damaging boats and endangering the lives of fishermen* "Look how they defend themselves! They just won't stop! They're basically animals! :qq:"

edit: also Pubestache's little pretend admiral stripes are so adorable :swoon: It's like a little kid playing dress up, only people could die

Hazo fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 3, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Hazo posted:

That one old scrawny goateed dude was calling him out but the editors seem to be trying to make him into the villain because of it. I wonder how this little manufactured story arc is going to play out. And yeah, "failure of crew/bridge resource management" was literally #1 on the Whale Wars drinking game we made up a few years ago.

That's true, but he, at best, gave a "look Pete, this is not right" on something for a small boat. Nobody was calling him out on the bridge and saying "This is unsafe, you are putting people at risk doing it." That's what was bugging me, because clearly almost nobody on the bridge was OK with it. There was a lot of people looking uncomfortable, like they don't agree with Pete's shenanigans, but just no one willing to go ahead and say "maybe putting our boat at risk is a penny wise, pound foolish operation." It's a culture of fear on display. I know in nautical environments the captain is the final authority, but what Pubestache was doing was not good captaining.

I've watched this show for years and it used to baffle me how these things would go on, but I'm getting a clearer picture of it. Watson's a charismatic guy that people will buy into. If he gives questionable orders, people are more likely to go along with it because he had complete loyalty from people. Pubestache is not operating on the same level, not even close. I'd dare not say that Sea Shepherd was competent, but I almost feel sorry for the crew.

quote:

edit: also Pubestache's little pretend admiral stripes are so adorable :swoon: It's like a little kid playing dress up, only people could die

He thinks he's all grown up. :allears:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

kefkafloyd posted:

That's true, but he, at best, gave a "look Pete, this is not right" on something for a small boat. Nobody was calling him out on the bridge and saying "This is unsafe, you are putting people at risk doing it." That's what was bugging me, because clearly almost nobody on the bridge was OK with it. There was a lot of people looking uncomfortable, like they don't agree with Pete's shenanigans, but just no one willing to go ahead and say "maybe putting our boat at risk is a penny wise, pound foolish operation." It's a culture of fear on display. I know in nautical environments the captain is the final authority, but what Pubestache was doing was not good captaining.

I've watched this show for years and it used to baffle me how these things would go on, but I'm getting a clearer picture of it. Watson's a charismatic guy that people will buy into. If he gives questionable orders, people are more likely to go along with it because he had complete loyalty from people. Pubestache is not operating on the same level, not even close. I'd dare not say that Sea Shepherd was competent, but I almost feel sorry for the crew.
Yeah I hadn't gotten to the small boat part when I posted that. :awesome: is just clueless. He doesn't even really make any calls despite talking about how ballsy and fearless and Watson-esque he is; when poo poo hits the fan he just freezes up and asks everyone around him for advice. The boat operators say it's a dangerous bad idea, the crew is clearly uncomfortable and some of them even meekly point out it's a bad idea, and Sid (the Steve Irwin captain who actually does seem to have a clue) says it's a bad idea. Then he deploys the boats anyway and gets mad when the drivers abort the dangerous and stupid dumbass mission (seriously did they actually expect to use hydraulic shears going 25+ knots in 10 foot swells while maintaining position behind a larger faster boat?) to protect their crews. And then to top it off when the factory boat gets away he gets frustrated and rams the nearest chase ship :lol:

I'm not surprised at all they saved the "reveal" til the end of the episode that Australia won the UN court battle and banned the Japanese from whaling in Aus territory. I'm sure they 'll now say it's all thanks to them and claim victory even though the courts were the only real heroes and the last three hours we watched were nothing but a series of hilarious failures. Definitely didn't expect the blink-and-you'll-miss-it message about the SSCS violating court orders at the very end though.

Also I still wonder if they'll ever be fined for all the trash and prop foul lines they're dumping in the ocean, especially since they're specifically designed to be shipping hazards.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Are they really using their newest and presumingly fastest ship as a relatively static refueler?

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

It's kind of funny how they try to spin Pubestache's campaign as a success because of the international court ruling against Japan. They didn't do a single thing other than getting dunked on by the Japanese fleet. I also loved how the ship is making clunking noises and someone asks, "Do you think we should slow down?" and he just mumbles "We have to keep going..." before the ship breaks down.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Chiwie posted:

Are they really using their newest and presumingly fastest ship as a relatively static refueler?

Considering what happened to all the other "newer and faster" ships they kept bringing along it was probably the best decision.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Overdrift posted:

It's kind of funny how they try to spin Pubestache's campaign as a success because of the international court ruling against Japan. They didn't do a single thing other than getting dunked on by the Japanese fleet. I also loved how the ship is making clunking noises and someone asks, "Do you think we should slow down?" and he just mumbles "We have to keep going..." before the ship breaks down.

Pubestache is a great first mate. As captain? Not so much.

In the first seasons of the show, he was the voice of reason on dozens of occasions. I'd actually forgotten how big a dickhead he'd become.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Talk about a real, living example of the Peter Principle. :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Subject matter aside, this was Mythbusters we've been waiting for.

Also, Al Jean is a huge weirdo.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Rest in peace, old Mythbusters theme song and narration.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

FogHelmut posted:

Subject matter aside, this was Mythbusters we've been waiting for.

I mean, you can decry them for taking 10 years to get their act together, but then again, most shows take themselves for granted and never even try to course-adjust.

Sure, 'cartoon myths' is a silly premise, but I felt like I still actually learned something in this episode. Plus, the methodology was clear, and the central point of science was actually quite well expressed: you can think about it all you want, but you'll only get answers if you test the drat thing. And testing can give you results you'd never expect, and illuminate other parts of the process you weren't expecting to see.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ashpanash posted:

I mean, you can decry them for taking 10 years to get their act together, but then again, most shows take themselves for granted and never even try to course-adjust.

Sure, 'cartoon myths' is a silly premise, but I felt like I still actually learned something in this episode. Plus, the methodology was clear, and the central point of science was actually quite well expressed: you can think about it all you want, but you'll only get answers if you test the drat thing. And testing can give you results you'd never expect, and illuminate other parts of the process you weren't expecting to see.

I think he was talking more about the excess baggage that they trimmed (Grant was cool though).

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Getting rid of the build team was only one aspect of a much more comprehensive retooling of the show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That was quite good. They've still got the annoying intros to each myth, but they've reduced the intrusiveness of the "after the break..." and "...before the break" segments. I enjoyed how pleased Jaime was with himself for his "let's just pour concrete in a hole in the ground" idea.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ashpanash posted:

Getting rid of the build team was only one aspect of a much more comprehensive retooling of the show.

They hyped up a bunch of stuff to make it sound like a big re-tooling, but so far the only thing they actually changed was getting rid of the build team.

e: It's basically just back to post-Historian Lady / Pre-Build Team format (which I ain't complaining about).

Pneub fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 11, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There was a lot more focus on the builds and techniques. The whole thing wasn't as watered down. I don't know why they had 6 feet of vertical pipe coming down from the toilets though.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Pneub posted:

They hyped up a bunch of stuff to make it sound like a big re-tooling, but so far the only thing they actually changed was getting rid of the build team.

I fundamentally disagree. The show I watched was a different show than in the past. There was a more clear narrative focus, the details were much more present, and significant time was given to both the development and build process and the functionality of and reasoning behind their tests.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

kefkafloyd posted:

Rest in peace, old Mythbusters theme song and narration.

Outside of fawning over Kari, this is what I think I'm gonna miss the most.

I think the camerawork is a little bit overbrown, though. Reminds me of every complaint about 'realistic' games being varying shades of brown.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kinda surprised they didn't go into what would happen to Homer during the wrecking ball thing. I would have guessed he'd be severely injured or killed but they just talked about the house itself.

I'm going to miss the old look and I even liked the build team but this seems to be a very good and much-needed overhaul.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

I would have guessed he'd be severely injured or killed but they just talked about the house itself.

I guess that's one of those things that for even a show about testing everything, you really don't have to. Five thousand pounds of weight swinging towards something, and you in the middle, is going to result in Bad Stuff to you.

I kinda want that wrecking ball. "Yup, that's five thousand pounds of concrete in a sphere. What of it?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised they didn't see the crane problem coming. It was disappointing they only brought equipment that could swing the wrecking ball back 12 feet. I suspect if they had, the damage to the houses would have been closer.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

ashpanash posted:

I fundamentally disagree. The show I watched was a different show than in the past. There was a more clear narrative focus, the details were much more present, and significant time was given to both the development and build process and the functionality of and reasoning behind their tests.

They just had more time since everyone didn't have to get into their individual customized ninja costumes or whatever. It remains to be seen if Adam can keep his poo poo together after the briefest mention of pirates.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I'm surprised they didn't see the crane problem coming. It was disappointing they only brought equipment that could swing the wrecking ball back 12 feet. I suspect if they had, the damage to the houses would have been closer.

They were probably hoping like I was that the old dude running the crane didn't really give a poo poo and was just going to go with it. It ended up kinda killing it a bit, but seeing the life-size Homer and Jamie's concrete ball swinging more than made up for it. I liked the new dumb infographics assaulting my face every 30 seconds and the extra time showing how they were building everything.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't think there's a crane you could rent that would let you swing that size ball sufficiently far to look nice.

Maybe they could have gone to a big cliff, or built a tower of their own though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The plumbing for the toilet experiment was a bit flawed. The pipes were capped and sent the full force towards the toilets, whereas a real system would have been open ended and allowed some force to dissipate to the public sewer instead.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They covered that in the small-scale test- the pipes were capped to simulate a clog in the system after an uncapped system didn't produce enough spray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pneub posted:

e: It's basically just back to post-Historian Lady / Pre-Build Team format (which I ain't complaining about).

I feel like they did more than that, but just getting rid of the build team alone is such a massive improvement alone that it'd be fine if that was all they did.

• Locked thread